Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: No Greater Character Endorsement

Wow, did they ever hand wave the response that would have been Walt's involvement with Lucien's death (and subsequent searching of his room). That was all pretty tainted evidence, once he sorted through it. It would all have been pretty moving, if they'd at least shown Ferg doing the actual investigating. Sheriff Corrupt was just a non-entity, I guess. Plus, how is it Walt got to keep Lucien's confession?

I'm guessing Nighthorse gave Sam Poteet those questions to ask, so he could speak in defense of Walt, and bring up Connoly's emails without looking like he was deliberately helping him.

Then Cady trying to get the tribal council to approve taking a child from his parents. Whatever the provocation (and it was a realistic one), given what the parents said about their own upbringing, anyone (especially another rez resident) should have known it was a doomed effort from the start, and that involving a white woman would only make it worse.

It was nice to see Zack again. 

Again with the cell phone. I think it was supposed to be a cute character trait - but it is an exasperating one for a law enforcement officer. I don't know if they'll end the show with Walt retiring, but I think he should.

So, I wonder, who is the shorter than Darius and motormouth strongman playing Hector? I don't think Malachi would do his direct dirty work. But it seems likely it's someone connected with the Rez, and someone we might know. Which gives me a bad feeling about the series conclusion - since the two most familiar options are Nighthorse and Mathias, then possibly Sam Poteet.

Nighthorse being with Henry when the car was run off the road could have been misdirection, along with his endorsement of Walt. Then again, none of the the three are exactly motormouths. Nighthorse bloviates sometimes, but it's never what I would call motor-mouthing (is that a term?)

In fact the only motormouth I can think of is Travis. And that can't be, right? Right?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I was genuinely shocked when Nighthorse offered to let Henry stay at his house to keep him safe from Malachi/Hector. I know Henry is always trying to Do the Right Thing, but I can't blame Nighthorse for not wanting to get rid of his security and then dangle himself as bait as Henry suggested.

The best thing about this episode is that Walt's trial is FINALLY over!

• Love 3
On 11/25/2017 at 0:01 PM, Clanstarling said:

I'm guessing Nighthorse gave Sam Poteet those questions to ask, so he could speak in defense of Walt, and bring up Connoly's emails without looking like he was deliberately helping him.

I never thought of that but it would probably make more sense than Sam deciding to ask the questions himself.

• Love 2

I'm glad that the trial part was done relatively quickly. I did not want to drag on and on.

When Walt was fingering the bag with the bullet at Lucien's place I just rolled my eyes.  How could any of that be accepted as evidence with his finger prints all over it?

On 11/25/2017 at 0:01 PM, Clanstarling said:

Good thought. I never considered that.  But good thing Walt didn't get him dismissed or he'd be screwed.

That judge was so over-the-top prejudicial, there would be no way that there wouldn't have been an winnable appeal.

I do understand the Tribal Council and their thoughts on Cady's request but she was making it in the  name of one of their own members. How come she didn't even bring that up?  Seems like Catori should have had a chance to make her case for asking Cady to help.

Does anyone else get suspicious vibes from Agent Decker?

Love that Dave!

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 2

This was not a good episode for Cady. She started off so well, admirably pleading with Jacob for mercy for her father to wasting time attempting to get temporary custody of Indian child. I didn't understand why Henry didn't tell her that it was a crazy idea. She and Catori should have found an elder or someone of high standing among the Cheyenne to persuade the parents, not try to take their child.

Kudos to Jacob for finding some compassion for Walt. He might have done it anyway, but Cady's appeal probably moved him in that direction. @Clanstarling, I was thinking that Jacob planted those questions with Sam Poteet also. 

I don't blame Jacob for not wanting to give up his security or trust Walt to protect him, but it was cool of him to offer Henry a safe place to stay.

Good to have Zach back. I never saw the appeal of Barry Sloane when he was on Hollyoaks, but damn I find him hot now.

David is the most fun character. I will miss him. I cheered when he called out the judge's corruption and then gleefully demanded to see the emails.

I love Mathias and Ferg on the job together. Unusual, but surprisingly hilarious pairing.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I didn't understand why Henry didn't tell her that it was a crazy idea.

Or why Henry didn't go to talk to the parents. I wonder if we'll find out what happened to the little guy.  He was adorable.  Surely Catori would have some hint that taking the child was not going to go over well.  Sounds like she's lived through a lot in her life and you'd think she'd know the system a little better.

Ferg and Mathias - priceless!

I wonder if Walt will rehire Zach now that he's in the area.  Does he have a job or something? Seems like a town that small would be hard to hide in.

• Love 2

Walt, Walt, Walt....   Why doesn't he put gloves on both hands when he is working on crime scene evidence?  Yes, it is time for you to retire.  Although no one looks good enough to fill the sheriff's shoes ever since  Branch is gone.  

I'm sorry but Walt looks old and worn out far from someone who would be happy with Vic long, and vice versa.  So it is irritating to have their potential romance shoved in my face all the time.  

Cady, Cady, Cady.....  So well-meaning but boy can she pick the most emotionally-charged cases to work on.  Between her and the schoolteacher you would think they would know better than try to take any child, but especially a Rez child, away from its parents.  With that teacher's back story, I don't see how she wouldn't understand this either.  There has to be other options to give to the parents to help their child.

Thankfully, Henry, Mathias, and Nighthorse are still around for some balance, and upward character development.  

And, it is kind of nice how they are tying up some loose threads and bringing some characters from other seasons back.  I hope something good happens for Zach.  He is an interesting character.

I wonder who the motor mouth is.  Malachi is more talkative than Darius but doesn't seem to be in the motor mouth category. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Magic said:

I'm sorry but Walt looks old and worn out far from someone who would be happy with Vic long, and vice versa.  So it is irritating to have their potential romance shoved in my face all the time.  

Lord, yes.  With all of the heavy handed "hints" of a relationship, I fear we are doomed to see it.  Yuck.  

What ever happened to the license plate number that Zach got off of that silver SUV that they are looking for?  Wasn't Ferg supposed to be checking on that?  It was mentioned once and never again.

6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

What ever happened to the license plate number that Zach got off of that silver SUV that they are looking for?  Wasn't Ferg supposed to be checking on that?  It was mentioned once and never again.

You would think that it would have high priority considering the same type vehicle ran Nighthorse and Henry off the road.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Magic said:

You would think that it would have high priority considering the same type vehicle ran Nighthorse and Henry off the road

Agreed.  That's why it was odd that Mathias and Ferg were tracking down beaters on the rez.  But this season seems to be, well, off to me. 

I just want more Mathias, Ferg, Cady, and Standing Bear.  I know it's "Longmire" but I honestly don't like him so far.

• Love 2
On 11/25/2017 at 11:01 AM, Clanstarling said:

Actually, I think there was more it than Jacob worrying about perceptions.  By having a juror ask the question - and having the judge evaluate and approve the question before allowing it to be asked - Jacob ensured the question would be framed in a manner impossible for the prosecuting attorney to object, and keep Jacob's answer incriminating Barlow off the record.

Too bad Wyoming isn't one of the states which actually permit jurors to ask questions of witnesses: Hollywood 1, Reality 0.  ;>

On 12/3/2017 at 0:13 PM, Paloma said:

I never thought of that but it would probably make more sense than Sam deciding to ask the questions himself.

Nah, that whole play was Jacob all the way.  Hell, we saw Nighthorse nod to Poteet to indicate when to ask the question, even.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:22 PM, Kohola3 said:

That judge was so over-the-top prejudicial, there would be no way that there wouldn't have been an winnable appeal.

Oh HELL yeah - the judge's blatant anti-Walt bias was jarring.

I do understand the Tribal Council and their thoughts on Cady's request but she was making it in the  name of one of their own members. How come she didn't even bring that up?  Seems like Catori should have had a chance to make her case for asking Cady to help.

The entire manner in which the "Tribal Folk Fighting Paternalistic White Action" story line was trotted out rang my bullshit bell so loudly, I could barely tolerate it.  :[

ETA: not that there isn't historical precedent for such; there is, in truckloads, to such a degree public law exists to address such.  But this particular story line's half-hearted and ham-fisted implementation of same was inapplicable, ineffectual, and irritating in the extreme.  This was not - and never was - a case of White Woman Trying To Take Indian Child From Indian Family; this was Indian Woman Trying To Take Indian Child From Indian Family, and the only White involvement was as legal advice for the Indian Woman in question.  

If the writers truly wanted to explore the cultural intricacies of White paternalism of Indians, the appropriate vehicle would have been for Cady to attempt getting temporary custody herself - which would have justified the reactions of the Tribal folk.  I suspect even the writers, though, were aware doing such would have required Cady to demonstrate cultural stupidity and insensitivity of a level too extreme to be believable - so they backed off.  

Which doesn't mean the story line which DID make it to the screen wasn't too extreme to be believable as well - but I digress.

Edited by Nashville
Amplification
On 11/25/2017 at 9:01 AM, Clanstarling said:

Wow, did they ever hand wave the response that would have been Walt's involvement with Lucien's death (and subsequent searching of his room). That was all pretty tainted evidence, once he sorted through it. It would all have been pretty moving, if they'd at least shown Ferg doing the actual investigating. Sheriff Corrupt was just a non-entity, I guess. Plus, how is it Walt got to keep Lucien's confession?

They do that all the time in this show.  Plus, in most counties the Sherrif is an elected position, so other elected officials can do little to remove them from office, especially a mayor, who only has jurisdiction for a small part of the county.   The animosity between the sherrifs is ridiculous.  Law officers in every state have the authority to conduct investigation and carry out search warrants in other juridictions as part of investigations of crimes that occurred in their county (or city, town etc).  Fleeing to another county isn't like Roman Polanski hiding from US justice in Europe.

• Love 2
On 12/19/2017 at 11:22 AM, Kohola3 said:

Why is there even a trial at this point.  The dead lawyer was the exectutor.  When he died there would have been a lengthy probate process (as in weeks to months) to name Lucian as the new exectutor.  Now that Lucien is dead, the probate process would have to begin again, and the trial would have to be halted because there would be questions as to who is the plaintiff.

Another big mistake was when Cady told her dad that the trial was going to start again with a "new prosecuting attorney".  This case is a civil matter, and there is no prosecuting attorney.

That and the fact that the rifle of choice in this PD are lever action guns.

• Love 1

It seems like there could've been a different remedy for the child's health problems -- couldn't the court have intervened and forced the parents to let him be examined by a doctor? And, if warranted, ordered him to get medical treatment--either at home or at the hospital? At least that avoids the whole "taking a child away from his parents" issue. 

• Love 1
On 5/19/2018 at 4:16 PM, J-Man said:

...couldn't the court have intervened and forced the parents to let him be examined by a doctor?

Reservations have their own laws, that kind of thing doesn't fall under court jurisdiction.  Thus the trip to the council which was an epic fail.