Type keyword(s) to search

Comic Book Men - General Discussion

• Start Topic

For me, that wasn't the big problem in this episode, it was the desperate attempt to portray The Munsters as somehow cooler than The Addams Family.  I like Lewis and Gwynne as much as anyone, but my firsthand experience being a kid at the time is that everyone thought The Munsters was stupid, and Thing had more coolth in his little finger than the entire Munsters cast combined.  Plus, Lily vs. Morticia, end of story.

• Love 2

For me, that wasn't the big problem in this episode, it was the desperate attempt to portray The Munsters as somehow cooler than The Addams Family.  I like Lewis and Gwynne as much as anyone, but my firsthand experience being a kid at the time is that everyone thought The Munsters was stupid, and Thing had more coolth in his little finger than the entire Munsters cast combined.  Plus, Lily vs. Morticia, end of story.

Don't worry. If an Addams Family cast member comes on, it will all switch around.

• Love 2

I got to say that the funniest parts of the episodes are Bryan's one liners.  When the guy buying the Marvel Comics lunchbox was going to have his ashes placed in the lunchbox, and not having conferred with his wife, Bryan holding the thermos said, "If she's a petite woman, she can fit in here".  Too funny.

• Love 1

Watched the new two last night.  The Deadpool product placement was embarrassingly lame.  My sainted Aunt Edna if she were alive wouldn't have heard about Deadpool, hell I haven't heard about Deadpool, and it's not gonna be near as huuuuge as the huuuuge guy trying so hard to sell it.  It's like reading an internet board about any specific interest and seeing the obviously paid-off newby product shillers come in to try to evade every sane person's adblock.  I know one board where one mod is assigned just to kick assholes like that off all day.

Watched the new two last night.  The Deadpool product placement was embarrassingly lame.  My sainted Aunt Edna if she were alive wouldn't have heard about Deadpool, hell I haven't heard about Deadpool, and it's not gonna be near as huuuuge as the huuuuge guy trying so hard to sell it.  It's like reading an internet board about any specific interest and seeing the obviously paid-off newby product shillers come in to try to evade every sane person's adblock.  I know one board where one mod is assigned just to kick assholes like that off all day.

Plus its Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. I don't see anyone rushing Green Lantern 2 into production.

• Love 1

The show is obviously always staged, but the Stan Lee/guy quitting comics bit felt really ​staged.

So bad! I mean, either the guy is tired of collecting or he isn't -- Stan Lee isn't going to magically change his mind. Although Stan himself came off as a very nice person who remains enthused about his job after decades. Nice to see.

• Love 2

The episode with Stan Lee just hanging out in the shop was great. Listening to that man talk, and just the beautiful simplicity of his ideas, stripping them of all the grandiose mythology, is a lot of fun. And sure, he was only there so he could appear in this episode, but Stan has the charm to pull that off.

Sadly, that sort of stuff seems to be increasingly infrequent to the pre-planned bits and more desperate celebrity appearances.

• Love 2

So bad! I mean, either the guy is tired of collecting or he isn't -- Stan Lee isn't going to magically change his mind.

The weird part is that he didn't even seem impressed by Stan Lee. It felt like he thought he was doing the old guy a favor or something.

I don't know. I love the guys, listen to a bunch of their podcasts and stuff, but this show just isn't delivering any entertainment value any more.

I pretty much watch this show the same way I do, say, Fast N' Loud or Jay Leno's Garage -- as a mildly entertaining way to learn about a hobby I otherwise have no knowledge of or interest in. Spending 30 minutes a week with likable people was enough for me to keep the show on my DVR. This week, however, I was thoroughly bored and deleted the episode halfway through. Don't know if the situations are simply becoming too contrived or I've reached the limit of how much I personally need to know about comics and comic-related collectibles.

The John Romita Jr. visit felt much more natural. Saying he lives on Long Island, the store is in New Jersey, they knew each other from the convention circuit, it just felt real he might just stop by.

• Love 1

For once, I'm with Walt on something.  I have some wonderful childhood memories of Wild West City!  It's cheesy as hell, but that's part of the appeal.  I don't think it's changed at all in the 20-odd years since I was last there, either.

• Love 1

Walt gave the issue away, but after the "It's not for me, it's for her", and the proposal, I was hoping the guy would say "$29.99 is a bit much. Would you take twenty?"

I do, I watched it and thought KS seemed like he's trying to lose some weight.  Good news if so.  DVRing it means you can quickly advance through the boring parts (i.e. anything not involving cool stuff over the counter at the shop, or the boys playing trivia), like the infomercial at some dude's comics museum.

On 2/28/2015 at 10:34 AM, Totale said:

They're both classic TV shows, but I always preferred The Munsters to The Addams Family.  I understand why people preferred the Addams, but for me it was the Munsters all the way.  First off, "creepy and kooky" is all right, but that surf rock theme music for The Munsters is probably my favorite TV theme song ever.  I'm also a big fan of the classic Universal monsters it is based on, so that's another plus.  And they had cooler cars for sure - the Munsters coach and the casket racer.  Finally, I liked that the Munsters didn't take itself seriously.  There was always something about the Addams that seemed kind of smug, like they were saying "see how clever we are"?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, opus said:

New episodes start Sunday, although on my DVR the first one is actually late Sunday/early Monday at 1:06 am EST.

Yup cause for some damn reason Talking Dead is 2 hours long. I’ve dropped TWD and TD but they really need to make TD 30 minutes again.

I really enjoyed seeing them give homage to Jack "King" Kirby, the most innovative and influential of all comic book artists.

It's amazing to see how much a few minor flaws can drop the value of a comic book.  It was interesting that Walt chose the third best copy of the comic as the one that his customers would be most likely to want.  Either he's cheap or he really knows his customers.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2017 at 11:57 PM, rmontro said:

I really enjoyed seeing them give homage to Jack "King" Kirby, the most innovative and influential of all comic book artists.

It's amazing to see how much a few minor flaws can drop the value of a comic book.  It was interesting that Walt chose the third best copy of the comic as the one that his customers would be most likely to want.  Either he's cheap or he really knows his customers.

A mixature of both...at least in kayfabe. Remember everyone who comes to buy and sell gets an appearance fee in real life so I believe that plays a part in some of the values he throws out. For untaped segments his values are likely better. Also I would’ve bought all 4 if I was him since they said something about it being a bit of a hard find. I know taking up space and all that but I’m sure they could’ve moved three of them and kept one around on the wall if they wanted.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:01 AM, Skyfall said:

Also I would’ve bought all 4 if I was him since they said something about it being a bit of a hard find. I know taking up space and all that but I’m sure they could’ve moved three of them and kept one around on the wall if they wanted.

I'm a huge Fantastic Four fan (comics only, not those horrible movies Fox puts out), and I was drooling.  I remember the first time I saw that cover, I couldn't wait to read that issue with the Hulk and the Thing squaring off.  At one time their occasional battles were huge events, or so it seemed to my young mind.  I'm surprised that the issue with the first appearance of the Black Panther wasn't worth more.  Compared to like the first appearance of Spider-Man or Wolverine, it was a paltry sum.  I know the Panther wasn't an A list character, but he does have his own movie coming out soon.

They had to know it was a knockoff/illegal toy beforehand, so I wonder what the motive was to paying him to appear. Was there heat from law enforcement with nerdy pop culture (and as they said knockoffs) growing or did they just want to make a statement?

It was weird because the little picture story  said it was legitimate so I was actually confused by that whole thing.

As someone who has unashamedly loved Kevin for going on a quarter century, even if I don’t necessarily love all of his work, I have to say the Guinness part tickled me.  I loved seeing Kevin honestly touched by it all.

This Funko ep is upsetting because I was going to order the Stash set the day it was released, but I was working and forgot, and when I logged in three hours later, they were sold out.

Just heard on one of Kevin's podcasts that Comic Book Men has been cancelled by AMC.  He did leave open the possibility that another network might pick it up and make some new ones, but at this point it's probably more likely we've seen the last of the show.  

On 7/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, rmontro said:

Just heard on one of Kevin's podcasts that Comic Book Men has been cancelled by AMC.  He did leave open the possibility that another network might pick it up and make some new ones, but at this point it's probably more likely we've seen the last of the show.  

I mean what did they expect putting it on at the middle of the night?

On 7/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, Skyfall said:

I mean what did they expect putting it on at the middle of the night?

It had a good run.  They made 96 episodes. 

It was bad that it was on in the middle of the night, but it had The Walking Dead as a lead in, so it's not like it was completely screwed over.

I'm not sure the ratings were a factor in its cancellation anyway.  I thought I heard something about AMC wanting to go in a different direction. 

On 8/1/2018 at 12:57 PM, rmontro said:

It had a good run.  They made 96 episodes. 

It was bad that it was on in the middle of the night, but it had The Walking Dead as a lead in, so it's not like it was completely screwed over.

I'm not sure the ratings were a factor in its cancellation anyway.  I thought I heard something about AMC wanting to go in a different direction. 

Honestly it was probably the health scare Kevin had.

1 minute ago, Skyfall said:

Honestly it was probably the health scare Kevin had.

Did they think it would be too taxing for him to sit at the table and wave his arms around while he was talking?

1 minute ago, rmontro said:

Did they think it would be too taxing for him to sit at the table and wave his arms around while he was talking?

Could be a rough filming schedule alongside his other projects. I have a feeling they film all the table segments over a day or two which could cause unhealthy eating.