Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons: The Clara Oswald Years

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the Clara seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I really don't think there was any thought given to that storyline at all. At first it seemed like Missy was deliberately collecting people who had some kind of association with the Doctor, perhaps specifically people who had died because of him. Instead it was all dead people! Everywhere! Which made no sense, was depressing as hell, and was completely pointless.

Edited by Fat Elvis 007
  • Love 2

I really don't think there was any thought given to that storyline at all. At first it seemed like Missy was deliberately collecting people who had some kind of association with the Doctor, perhaps specifically people who had died because of him. Instead it was all dead people! Everywhere! Which made no sense, was depressing as hell, and was completely pointless.

I think it was misdirection tbh. We were led to believe that it was only people with some sort of connection at the moment of their death to connect to the "am i a good man" storyline but then it turned out to be all about missy.

Since it happened under Clara's watch (so to speak)

True.  And not just Amy and Rory.  Even sadder, in my opinion, that's apparently what happened to The Brigadier.  Nice. 

Moffat tends to overdo everything.   

No. No. No!  It never happened!  The whole thing was a Master/Missy dream trip .  

inappropriate word Moffat!

• Love 1

i just realized something seeing a rerun of "the girl who lived"....

ishildr was already in contact with the timelords in that era cause the doctor kept asking "how do you know that?"  she knew about his companions even though the time period she was currently in, i don't think the doctor has taken on companions from before the 20th century.  she knows that he always runs away.  she knows about his ship.

the timelords have already made contact with her to trap him through her.

could it be that the timelords were in the dimension of where that lion alien was from and they sent that lion through the dimension to open it from the other side in exchange for invading earth?

Edited by lovebug1975

Katarina came from ancient Greece, Jamie McCrimmmon came from 1742, Victoria Waterfield came from the Victorian era..

And, Leela was from an earth colony in the far future; but that was classic who. Modern Who only seems to be interested in pretty girls from 21st century England.

The "dinosaurs in space" ep of new who had the Doctor travelling with Nefertiti and picking up the big game hunter from the early 20th century with whom he'd clearly had previous adventures. I also think conversations with River indicated they both knew Cleopatra. And "demons' run" had the paternoster gang he clearly had met before. (They reappear as well.) So there have been signs that he's not *all* about chicks from the 21st century. Those are just the stories we're told, presumably because they are considered more accessible for us.

The "dinosaurs in space" ep of new who had the Doctor travelling with Nefertiti and picking up the big game hunter from the early 20th century with whom he'd clearly had previous adventures. I also think conversations with River indicated they both knew Cleopatra. And "demons' run" had the paternoster gang he clearly had met before. (They reappear as well.) So there have been signs that he's not *all* about chicks from the 21st century. Those are just the stories we're told, presumably because they are considered more accessible for us.

One-off guest characters don't really count as 'companions' (and don't get me started on the subject of throwing characters we've never seen before onto the screen and claiming a past relationship with the Doctor). And yes, present day characters are considered more accessible - although I think that's underestimating the audience, quite frankly - but even within the bounds of 'present day' there could be more variety than we're seeing. But I really think the audience could cope with a companion who wasn't from today - sticking with them is all about writer convenience, not audience convenience. It's easier to write the kind of plot-driven story arcs we've seen in recent years if you don't also have to concentrate on the kind of character story you'd need to tell with, for e.g., a historical companion - but where you fall on that issue really depends on whether you prefer character-led or plot-driven stories. Me, I prefer it when stories are driven by characters, rather than characters being driven by stories, which is exactly the reason I've never been able to engage with Moffat's Doctor Who, in which plot drives everything and character is barely a consideration.

• Love 1

This seems the best place to post this.

I am rewatching the 50years special The Day of the Doctor and I keep wondering why they did not ask Paul McGann to be the War Doctor? I adore John Hurt but I also really like the little I've seen and heard of Paul McGann.

Just typical Steven Moffatt trying to add more complications? Or was there an actual good reason for this? I know Christopher Eccleston couldn't or wouldn't do it but was there a reason Paul McGann wasn't asked to do this episode? I just don't see how the same story couldn't be told with the actual 8th doctor.

It keeps bugging me.

• Like 3

My understanding was that Moffat wanted a bigger name. Plus he had his eye on the regeneration limit. Inserting another Doctor we hadn't known about into the mix brought that limit closer, allowed Moffat to be the one to address it. He wouldn't have been able to do that if he hadn't created the War Doctor.

It might also be true though that McGann's availability was limited. I'm another one that likes his minisode much better than I like the actual anniversary episode!

• Like 2

I'm not really familiar with McGann, but from my perspective I thought John Hurt was perfect for the part. An older, established and well known English actor with a taste for the bizarre and the ability to communicate a great deal in very little screen time. So, for someone not steeped in Who lore, it made perfect sense.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Affogato said:

I'm not really familiar with McGann, but from my perspective I thought John Hurt was perfect for the part. An older, established and well known English actor with a taste for the bizarre and the ability to communicate a great deal in very little screen time. So, for someone not steeped in Who lore, it made perfect sense.

Oh, I adore Paul McGann and would have absolutely loved to see him in this episode. He's a wonderful actor. I think he'd have absolutely killed it in that War Doctor role.

But I also really enjoyed John Hurt in that episode and love that we got to see him playing the Doctor.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HauntedBathroom said:

Moffat wanted McGann, the BBC vetoed bringing back a distantly remembered past Doctor in the big anniversay special, they wanted a star name.

Thank you. Any sources on that? I'd like to read a bit about it, if stuff is still available. 

That's the same BBC that could barely be bothered to do anything for the 40year anniversary, right? Ah yes, it was off the air....

I have to admit, I wasn't too fond of the 'old generation' jokes about the new generation who points the screwdriver, might have had a midlife crisis, started kissing their companions, and flaps their hands. I mean Ten and Eleven are quite a bit older than the War Doctor. They should have played it counter to the actors' ages.

While it made sense that the War Doctor feels somewhat different, I don't actually think he nailed the "Doctorness" in his portrayal. And I adore John Hurt. So, while I don't mind it and it's not bad, it feels a little underwhelming, and like stunt casting. Which it is. But then, I often feel like that with Moffat's episodes after the initial Bang! Surprise! and plot confusion has worn off. A little bit is missing. Usually time for the characters and the moments to breathe.

And rewatching the Night of the Doctor (thanks for digging it up, @JustHereForFoodjust reminds me of how great Paul McGann's portrayal of the Doctor really is. 

• Like 2