Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: This Is Just Marketing

Jimmy learns that his literary novel is being marketed as erotica. While doing Vernon's podcast, Gretchen realizes she's been letting Jimmy off easy. When Edgar and Lindsay babysit Tallulah, Lindsay learns for the first time that she's capable of love and Edgar tries a new technique to pick up women.

I loved Gretchen realizing that she's still mad at Jimmy. As soon as she said that she'd paid her half of the rent months in advance, I knew she'd be moving back in with him. The panicked look on Jimmy's face when he spotted her was hilarious.

Poor Edgar - I hope he didn't try to eat any of the disgusting shite that Jimmy made for breakfast. The gummi bears killed me.

Vernon's insistence that his BFF Jimmy would NEVER do anything like propose, ditch Gretchen, and disappear for three months just proved that he doesn't know Jimmy at all. Yes, yes, this was all an elaborate Jamie Kennedy-esque prank, Vernon.

• Love 1

Becca is the worst, and I felt that even before her drunken collapse. Just everything she said while with her new gay BFF was super awful.

I don't really see what the point of Edgar's plot here was. It wasn't that funny on its own and it felt like just a lot of table-setting for the rest of his season arc.

• Love 2

"Get Thy Fanny Out!" Hahaha, this may come up in my own conversation at some point.

The "reading" was terrific, and especially the reveal of Jimmy behind the mask, which gave way to the fake mustache. (RIP my failed KOTM submission for the mustache), but got a little stupid when Jimmy indulged the ladies with the stripping.

I also loved the closing Modern Family style monologue over the montage that then got thrown right back in Lindsay's face, to which she acquiesced. Lindsay was most in need of character development, and I'm glad she's finally getting it. I didn't have a problem with how her character acted, but she was definitely the biggest after-thought to last season.

When they had Lindsay monologuing in a way that seemed like a voice-over, it was so out of style for this show that I was afraid we were about to see the character's unexpected exit from the series. That made the one-two punch of the joke land even harder. 

(The actress playing her boss, whose name I can never remember, is playing it pretty straight for this role, but she's every bit as good as the rest of the YTW cast at over the top comedy--see "Episodes" on Showtime, where she plays a character almost as ditzy as Lindsay.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

Jimmy should call the police, change his locks ... and then move. Gretchen can be as mad as she wants on her own. Jimmy can find someone else. He's off to a good start with his book. 

Jimmy and Gretchen are literally the romantic leads of the show. You may be disappointed. :) 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

Jimmy should call the police, change his locks ... and then move. Gretchen can be as mad as she wants on her own. Jimmy can find someone else. He's off to a good start with his book. 

Yeah, good luck to him on the finding someone else part - the show has made clear that Gretchen tolerated him longer than any other women he was involved with.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AlliMo said:

Yeah, good luck to him on the finding someone else part - the show has made clear that Gretchen tolerated him longer than any other women he was involved with.

ITA. And as a result, she has actually helped make him a better person, IMO. That's what, ideally, past relationships do. But while he seems to be steadily realizing that there is more and better in life than what he permitted by closing himself off to others, a lesson he has largely learned due to what Gretchen (and to a lesser degree, others on the show) has shown him, she is constantly on a rampage to hurt him or herself. I think Jimmy has outgrown Gretchen.

Of course, the show is about them, so he isn't leaving. But if they don't show Gretchen maturing at some point, this will quickly become tedious for more than just me. :-)

Edited by Ottis

Yet another condescending, patronizing depiction of romance fans on TV. (I'm a writer of them, full disclosure.) The stupid masks, the overheated cat ladies yelling at Jimmy to take his pants off, the stupid sex puns. Fuck you, show. Do some research.