Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E11 Go Pirates!: Odd Couples

• Start Topic

Well, I guess this episode settles the age old debate of nature vs. nurture.

Oh. Duh. (Love.)

Those two blondes in the mini-skirts both look like the mid-2000s threw up on them.

• Love 2

Great podcast episode. Yes, I remember being confused when I watched this episode because it was so out of order. 

I like the addition of the letter grading of the weekly mystery and season-long mystery arc.

This episode of VM  has always had a special place in my heart because it's when we first meet Deputy Leo. But why did Leo talk like that if he's from Dobbs Ferry, New York, not Jersey? When I later heard Max Greenfield speak like a normal person during interviews, I thought that was an accent. 

ETA: Wait, who warned Leo about Veronica? Lamb?

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

Anyone wonder if Madison knew she was adopted?

So insecure. Party is overcompensating?  see how much they love me! Or see how much we love you! Car later in show, same deal. 

She's not an 'alpha bitch' though. Lilly was. Veronica could have been. When Lilly died Madison tried to take her place at the top with Logan by becoming even more of a bully to Veronica I think. Following his lead. She's essentially a follower, Dick too. 

She does real damage to Veronica twice, both by accident, just being herself  ultimately I don't think v holds Madison responsible but blames herself  

My theory anyway. 

Also uggs that match skirt ! Pastel! 

• Love 1
On 8/18/2017 at 2:56 PM, Sarah D. Bunting said:

I assumed Lamb but now I'm wondering!

sacks, I'd guess , but maybe Inge. Both would want sheriffs office to survive. Sacks was Keith's second I think. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Affogato said:

sacks, I'd guess , but maybe Inge. Both would want sheriffs office to survive. Sacks was Keith's second I think. 

But I thought Sacks and Inge liked Veronica.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

But I thought Sacks and Inge liked Veronica.

Sure. Doesn't mean they don't know her. You can like your dog and not leave your steak on the floor while you go into the kitchen for steak sauce. 

• Love 3

I wonder if the interplay in the Sheriff's office indicates that she was a bit of a player there while her father was Sheriff?

I read the transcript, used my tv watching time rewatching "Fire Walk With Me", but the bus is always a place to read. Veronica definitely digs out that Mac's dad started the store where he now works as an employee in 1992 and went bankrupt in 1994. That is what happened to the million dollars (or what was left after taxes).

It is nice meeting Leo.

Is Madison so awful because money corrupts? If so, why is Lauren nice? I honestly don't think any of this really means anything except someday Mac will get really drunk, some time when she needs money, feel sorry for herself and then pull up her socks and move on.

• Love 1

I assumed that Mac's parents had used the money to set up their business, but it went bust for purely normal reasons. Which sucks for Mac, but didn't seem like that big a mystery.

The fact that Mac is EXACTLY like her (biological) younger sister was a little hard to believe. I guess Rob Thomas believes nature trumps nurture?

ETA: As soon as the Microfilm was mentioned, my mind instantly went to that Simpsons clip too!

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, John Potts said:

The fact that Mac is EXACTLY like her (biological) younger sister was a little hard to believe. I guess Rob Thomas believes nature trumps nurture?

But traits like intelligence and personality do tend to be hereditary. So if Mac's biological mom is an intelligent introvert, her children will tend to be that way also. 

I can imagine Mac learning to read early and not being interested in spending much time with other kids. Her outgoing mom probably considered her a little strange and let her sit in the corner with her early reader books. 

Her parents didn't seem mean or obnoxious like Madison, though. Quite the opposite. Her mom made snacks for Veronica, and her dad builds custom book shelves for her. If anything, they didn't read much and didn't know much about the world outside of their own experiences. Now that sounds like Madison. 

• Love 2
On 9/13/2017 at 7:11 PM, topanga said:

But traits like intelligence and personality do tend to be hereditary. So if Mac's biological mom is an intelligent introvert, her children will tend to be that way also. 

I can imagine Mac learning to read early and not being interested in spending much time with other kids. Her outgoing mom probably considered her a little strange and let her sit in the corner with her early reader books. 

Her parents didn't seem mean or obnoxious like Madison, though. Quite the opposite. Her mom made snacks for Veronica, and her dad builds custom book shelves for her. If anything, they didn't read much and didn't know much about the world outside of their own experiences. Now that sounds like Madison. 

But Madison traveled, too. Actively resistant. I think there is a story there, however we never see her being anything but mean to Veronica, or anyone really--except Logan, who she wanted to have sex with. It wasn't just about Veronica. 

4 hours ago, Affogato said:

But Madison traveled, too. Actively resistant. I think there is a story there, however we never see her being anything but mean to Veronica, or anyone really--except Logan, who she wanted to have sex with. It wasn't just about Veronica. 

Now you've got me wondering why Madison is that way. Maybe she somehow found out about the baby switching and feels inadequate? Insecure? Or maybe she's simply a whiny, superficial, mean girl. But I don't think she got those traits from her biological parents. 

• Love 2
On 19/09/2017 at 2:18 AM, topanga said:

Now you've got me wondering why Madison is that way. Maybe she somehow found out about the baby switching and feels inadequate? Insecure? Or maybe she's simply a whiny, superficial, mean girl. But I don't think she got those traits from her biological parents. 

Madison was not much developed..particularly because almost all these characters were seen with Veronica's eyes..But i don't know.. even secondary, peripheral characters on this show were not one-note to me..they had some 'real' vibe..i don't know how to express it..maybe it was the writing, maybe it was the cast, i think it was a combination of both and something you don't see in usual american teenage tv shows (except maybe Freaks and Geeks..loved this show too..).

And the actress playing Madison seems so kind and down to earth offscreen.

Edited by pau
  • Love 1