Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E17: Hillstrand's Last Catch

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

Two old friends race to finish their seasons but one hopes to cap a storied career.

I have a box of tissue ready.  I love Johnathan.  I even have a Time Bandit cap and book that he autographed.

• Love 4

Yep, I cried.  I am so glad we got to see Johnathan leave by choice, rather than another Phil Harris situation.

We've seen guys like Elliott, Wild Bill, Jake and (sometimes) Keith, who are responsible for managing a group of guys who are putting their lives on the line.  They neither earn or receive much respect from their crews because they don't appreciate the men out there on the deck.  Then you see a guy like Johnathan whose crew was screaming "I love you, man."  

I met someone working at the Time Bandit store in Homer.  Even she had nothing but good things to say about the Hillstrand family as bosses.  Although when she told me that Johnathan was in town and had just been at the store a couple of hours before, and I asked her if she could call him on his cell phone to ask him to come back so I could meet him, she chuckled and said, "Sorry . . . I won't ever do that again."  (Like she had done it before and JH told her loud and clear not to!)

Enjoy sportfishing in warmer waters, Johnathan.  Thanks for lots of great viewing.

• Love 8

I loved this episode with Johnathan !  I also loved his send off too.   And like you said AZ, I am glad he is leaving while still able to enjoy his retirement.  The love from his crew was so sweet. I wonder who will take his place.  Also nice to see the bonding between Keith and John. 

Happy Retirement Johnathan !

• Love 4

I also wish JH a happy and fulfilling retirement.

Overall, the ep bugged me.  What was up with the frenemy edit?  JH lied his ass off to Keith just this season about finding boatloads of crab (Russia!) when Keith was getting bupkis.  I'm fine with the probability that Keith was ignorant of JH's treachery at the time.   But, Disco, and we, all saw it plain as day.  Disco just can't help themselves.  

I loved, loved, loved watching JH use the crane as a battering ram against the ice.  Forget what a pain in the butt and potential safety issue.  That looked like so much fun!  JH was the perfect guy to show doing that.  Another thing, which was entirely refreshing, is we were spared all the lectures about how ice will capsize boats.  There were very few, if any, pots on board the Northwestern or Wizard when the icing occurred.  THAT, is when it becomes a real deal issue.  For once, Disco did not insult us with hype.

This would serve well as the series finale.  I don't want it to end, but this certainly would be an obvious stopping point.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

This would serve well as the series finale.  I don't want it to end, but this certainly would be an obvious stopping point.

I agree with this.  JH has retired, Phil is dead and Sig might not fish next year; that leaves Keith as the last of the originals.

I thought this show would end after Phil's death.

I don't know if the show will end after this season; you really can't judge by this board.  A lot of shows popular here aren't popular with the general public.  I think Discovery can end this series and maybe explore a different fishery.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:52 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Overall, the ep bugged me.  What was up with the frenemy edit?  JH lied his ass off to Keith just this season about finding boatloads of crab (Russia!) when Keith was getting bupkis.  I'm fine with the probability that Keith was ignorant of JH's treachery at the time.   But, Disco, and we, all saw it plain as day.  Disco just can't help themselves.  

IIRC:   Keith was supposed to go to the Russian border with Johnathan, JH thought it would be safer being so far from port if there were two boats watching each others backs.  Keith was all in with that plan up to the last minute when he told JH he'd changed his mind and was going to fish on regular grounds.   Once they started catching good numbers JH didn't think Keith deserved to know because he already had his chance to get in on that.  That was episode 1 so I might not be remembering the whole story exactly right but pretty sure it boils down to JH thinking he doesn't owe Keith a second chance when Keith bailed on him and the Time Bandit had to go out alone.  If that's how it went I don't think JH minds if Disco shows what the real catch was - I guess Keith would have figured it out anyway when he found out the TB caught their full quota.

• Love 3