Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Top 10 Rules for Success

Amarsir
  • Start Topic

I liked this better than I thought I would.  When I saw the description and the promo, I thought "ugh.... clip show".

I was sad to find out that Amazing Grapes went out of business.  Not for the owner, who was a lazy jerk, but for the employees who put their heart and so much work into it.

I did NOT enjoy seeing any reference to LA Dogworks.  That was singlehandedly the worst and most depressing episode out there.  It reminds me that this psychopath Andrew is out there abusing a rotating cycle of people, paying minimum wage, and he can get away with it because his employees are people who are too unskilled to work elsewhere.

• Love 2

I need to find the 1st season and watch again...I do not remember LA Dogworks or the idiot Flower guy at all!  I do remember the Florida meat head from the food delivery "business".  And always nice to see the very dysfunctional ex-couple from GA , and the screen print shirt-ice cream- fast food-basketball court dolt for a laugh.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

The screen print shirt-ice cream- fast food-basketball court dolt for a laugh.

The web site for Artistic Stitch says it's still open, which surprises me.  Their angle seems to be as a sort of "Family Fun Center", although I think they need more arcade games to really pull that off.  Also, some system where you can exchange credits for worthless prizes, so you could buy something like a $7 plush toy for $83.

• Love 3

This was interesting. Only caught about half of it so far, but the recap of previous businesses was the more interesting angle than Marcus's rules to success. Surprised they even pushed that part of it.

Kind of fun to hear Marcus dish on some of the business people, but it also felt a little... Gossipy?

If anyone finds older seasons available for watching please share! I've searched high and low with no success (I don't do torrents, but that's probably the only way to find them). Doesn't even seem like they're available to buy on disc, and I have yet to see CNBC replay older seasons.

23 minutes ago, ae2 said:

This was interesting. Only caught about half of it so far, but the recap of previous businesses was the more interesting angle than Marcus's rules to success. Surprised they even pushed that part of it.

Kind of fun to hear Marcus dish on some of the business people, but it also felt a little... Gossipy?

If anyone finds older seasons available for watching please share! I've searched high and low with no success (I don't do torrents, but that's probably the only way to find them). Doesn't even seem like they're available to buy on disc, and I have yet to see CNBC replay older seasons.

You can buy them on Amazon.com video.

2 hours ago, ae2 said:

I was sitting there watching....and wondering what the people felt like when hearing him talk about how crazy they were. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode.  Marcus did oversell his relationship skills-but wow has he dealt with some interesting personalities in some episodes.  I also enjoyed that he was honest about his mistakes; some shows may have glossed over their mistakes, but he was all 'yep, shouldn't have invested in it...'  Fortunately, he did work away from some businesses before getting too involved in them.  And, he has also had some notable successes.  However, it seems to me that even though at the end of the show he stated that he has learned that he doesn't know everything, that he doesn't see a weakness in his marketing/branding ideas that many viewers (including me) think he has demonstrated throughout the series.

• Love 2

Since learning he relies on the Flex guys for his marketing ideas....and never having seen their episode, I'm still baffled. The one guy couldn't get it, why he should be using his mother's story for the watch. 

I want to shake Marcus sometimes. I'm still waiting on him to give me a shot at marketing one of his companies.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2017 at 8:02 PM, cooksdelight said:

Since learning he relies on the Flex guys for his marketing ideas....and never having seen their episode, I'm still baffled. The one guy couldn't get it, why he should be using his mother's story for the watch. 

I want to shake Marcus sometimes. I'm still waiting on him to give me a shot at marketing one of his companies.

Yeah that was a weird thing when he brought them in for Zoe's. They needed to be taught how to do idea boards. Using them to teach someone else might have been a reinforce-by-teaching lesson, but it felt like he just wanted air time for the company.

• Love 1

I couldn't tell if Flex Watch was still an ongoing business, and these guys just helped Marcus' other companies on the side, or if this was now their full-time jobs, and the watches were either discontinued or done as a side business.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I couldn't tell if Flex Watch was still an ongoing business, and these guys just helped Marcus' other companies on the side, or if this was now their full-time jobs, and the watches were either discontinued or done as a side business.

Well, they've been retargeting me like crazy for a few weeks now, so I'd say they're still in business.

• Love 2
On 8/2/2017 at 8:02 PM, cooksdelight said:

I'm way behind on reading here, but the guy from Flex watches didn't want to use his mom's death as marketing, Marcus insisted. It was one of the times I really got irritated by him, because like many here, I don't care about his story of his mom's death. Not to be mean, but everyone has lost someone to cancer, it's not novel, and I don't see why I should buy a watch from him because of it. 

It's been awhile since the episode, but I think he posed concern that people might feel a bit guilt tripped and also didn't think it was relevant to his business, and I agree with him. Zoe from the more recent chocolate company was the same. I think Marcus is completely out of touch when it comes to marketing, has never said anything I've found compelling as far as that goes, and yet his a billionaire and I'm a nickelaire, so my opinion may not be worth the two cents and 60 seconds it took to type.

• Love 2