Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Oz is Oz

raven

Do y'all think the show runners have noticed that Billy Burke is the lead, not James Wolk?
'
Jackson's goodbye to his girlfriend seemed to telegraph that the actors, writers, and directors wanted her out of the picture as much as the viewers.

Equally lame was Dariela and Clem's makeup and hug.

• Love 4

I think it maybe time to upgrade my glasses, but I think that Dariela and Abigail look similar. This gave me trouble on the first episode this season. I thought that it was Dariela leaving the bomb instead of new character Abigail, and when I went back to look at it Jackson motions to her and I thought why is Dariela not answering him. Both characters have that beautiful dark curly hair and often have it braided. 

Yep, time to get new glasses.

On another completely different topic., doesn't the fact that Abigail gave the (sorry i.forgot the name) hybrid her DNA, does that mean Jackson is his uncle?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

Why was Abigail's existence kept secret?

I'm pretty sure they wrote that into the script so her existence wouldn't be a retcon. Silly Zoo writers, worrying about a little retcon as if that would matter anymore on this show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

On another completely different topic., doesn't the fact that Abigail gave the (sorry i.forgot the name) hybrid her DNA, does that mean Jackson is his uncle?

Which makes Jackson a monkey's uncle! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do y'all think the show runners have noticed that Billy Burke is the lead, not James Wolk?
'
Jackson's goodbye to his girlfriend seemed to telegraph that the actors, writers, and directors wanted her out of the picture as much as the viewers.

Equally lame was Dariela and Clem's makeup and hug.

Pretty much, but it doesn't help that Jackson was saddled with a convoluted plotline with his father and the experiments.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

Thanks Zoo for reminding me that we never found out what the aardvark said to the taxi driver.

The actress playing Abigail is terrible (and she doesn't need glasses anymore in the present day?) and the one playing Clem is only marginally better. 

Thankfully we at least got some animal attacks!  Probably set off by Jackson, but I'll take it.  Goodbye, Jackson's GF, please don't come back.

Aw poor Mitch, used and abused as Mr. Duncan, evil scientist genius.

We're on a hybrid hunt to cure humanity's sterility, people! 

11 hours ago, mertensia said:

Which makes Jackson a monkey's uncle! 

Excellent!

• Love 1

I would like to admit something.

During this episode I came up with an overly involved speculation on whether the hybrid with human DNA would be gunning specifically for Jackson out of some sort of empathy to his creator/mother who is sad because her Daddy loved Jackson more than her.

It just now occurred to me that the hybrid talked.  I probably should have found that unusual.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

It just now occurred to me that the hybrid talked.  I probably should have found that unusual.

In your defence, the bar for "unusual" on Zoo is set pretty high.

I very much enjoyed this episode, but I'm of two minds on the whole Mr. Duncan situation. On the one hand, it will surely give the talented Billy Burke some really dramatic stuff to work with, and that'll be a genuine treat to watch. But on the other hand...hasn't Mitch suffered enough already? My love for the character makes me feel protective toward him and the thought of what he's about to go through is hurting my heart.

Other thoughts:

- The way Clementine pretty much instantly forgave Dariela was really generous of her. I like the way her character is being developed.

- For a while, I almost felt sorry for Abigail. It's hard realizing your sibling is the favoured child. (Believe me, I know.) That Robert Oz was a real piece of work.

Jamie: Let's see who killed Leanne.

Logan: If it turns out to be you, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Good one, Logan.

Edited by Pamela
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, raven said:

Thanks Zoo for reminding me that we never found out what the aardvark said to the taxi driver.

Just for shits and giggles, I typed that into Google, and was totally floored by the amount of website traffic devoted to that question (there is no definitive answer).  That says something about the relative value people place on the actual plotlines of Zoo.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I would like to admit something.

During this episode I came up with an overly involved speculation on whether the hybrid with human DNA would be gunning specifically for Jackson out of some sort of empathy to his creator/mother who is sad because her Daddy loved Jackson more than her.

I did too, so that probably means it is where the plot is headed.

4 hours ago, Pamela said:

For a while, I almost felt sorry for Abigail. It's hard realizing your sibling is the favoured child. (Believe me, I know.) That Robert Oz was a real piece of work.

I don't recall: Does Abigail know that Jackson (and their mother) was just their father's Guinea pig?

Oh, hi again, Robert!  So, basically the reason Abigail hates Jackson is because she put a camera on the plane (long story) and saw that Robert willingly gave his life for Jackson, and that pissed her off.  It's never fun when the golden-child gets passed over for the screw-up!  Athena Karkanis was definitely camping it up for a lot of her scenes, but I guess it kind of works on this show.  I admit that I still kind of miss Nora Arnezeder and her constant "bug-eye" acting.  I still wouldn't not be surprised if Chloe magically comes back.

Kind of surprised that they seemed to move past Dariela's betrayal by having Clementine forgive her and even throw Mitch's words back at him about parents being willing to do anything for this children.  True, I guess.  Although I couldn't tell if Dariela and Abe are back on better terms, or will they still probably end it after they get Issac back.

"You've been arrested and there's no takebacks."  Don't hear many detectives saying that, Logan.

So, Mitch was saved by Abigail, and she's somehow controlling him and he's also this mysterious Mr. Duncan?  None of this makes a lick of sense, but it's classic Zoo!  Plus, more Billy Burke is always a good thing.

Oh, boy.  Next week has the potential to be a Zoo classic!

Hold on -- those hybrid wolves dragged Abigail directly in front of the gate and then sat down beside her, but when the 4-wheelers came through the gate Abigail was 50-60 feet away from the gate.  And the hybrids were completely calm, and Abigail requested that the hybrids be brought inside.  Is she controlling the hybrids -- or are they domesticated ?

And why was she mumbling 'they chose Jackson ?'  Who is the 'they' ?

Meanwhile, back in the Yucatan, Oz is controlling lions and stealing Abendegos.

Mitch tries to rescue Clem -- and Clem takes control by taking her baby hostage (that is straight of the Blazing Saddles playbook when Sheriff Bart takes himself hostage).

Mitch is freaking out that he's going to be grandpa.

Abe thinks that one part animal DNA plus one part hybrid spinal fluid plus one part stem cells from Clem's baby will save the human race -- of course, it seems all so simple when you say it out loud..

Why don't they just use Jamie's taser on Abendegos ?  But no, Jackson has to inject the sedative directly into the hybrid's heart.

How does Abigail Westbrook get an episode dedicated to her backstory ?  This is a character we basically just found out about and now they are retconning the shit our of her storyline.

Abigail was already cartoonishly evil, creating hybrids to make her daddy happy -- and already had a hate on for Jackson since he was publicly recognized as the Son of Oz.

And after Jamie and Logan get the heads up that a Mr. Duncan was helping Abigail, Jamie figures out that is Charles Duncan the most wanted of the Shepherds.

There's no way they would should a live feed of the police breaching that Reiden facility.  Oh nooooesss, where have thie children gone ?

Seriously, how the gov't continues to go into business with such an obviously evil corporation -- remember they were responsible for spreading the animal mutation world-wide for fun and profit ?
And now they are conducting gov't sanctioned kidnapping and then they giving radioactive pills to those same kids -- that's not evil at all.  And then kidnapping them again.

When the hell was Abigail ever on the plane ?  Does no one lock the door on the plane --- ever ??  They had a pilot 10 years ago, did he not pay attention to who came/went on the plane ?

The flashbacks seen when Mitch confronted Abendegos:
-- Mitch sitting on a bench with Clem (from 10+ years ago) with Clem's dog
-- Mitch in the fog, with Jackson and Abe in the background
-- Mitch with a huge spider on his neck
-- Mitch looking at the hurricane-causing jellyfish (I think his nickname was Moe)
-- Mitch in bed with Jamie (looking somewhat post-coital)
-- Mitch in the lab with a hybrid wolf looming over his left shoulder  (the wolf looks so fake)
-- Mitch comforting Clem, who is laying in bed
-- Disshevelled Mitch shooting Clem (after he got out of the tank)
-- Mitch inside the tank

Abigail freaked out that her daddy was dead especially since he died for Jackson (the preferred child of Oz), and she's the one that saved Mitch from the hybrids.  WTF ?

So, Mitch is Charles Duncan ?  Ok, I'm confused but the image clearing up.  Does Mitch have an evil twin ?  Or did they periodically take him out of the tank in Siberia ?  It depends on when that photo of Mr. Duncan was taken.

Wait a minute -- Jaime didn't kill anyone this episode.  That's not right.

I just noticed that Zoo backwards is ooz, which would be "ooze," so I guess maybe that's why the main name in the series is Oz?

Great Post @ottoDbusdriver, especially for pointing out:

8 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Jaime didn't kill anyone this episode.  That's not right.

About:

9 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Seriously, how the gov't continues to go into business with such an obviously evil corporation --

--well, to quote the Beatles: "I read the news today, oh boy..."

And whether or not they go there, I like your theory that Mitch has an evil twin.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Or did they periodically take him out of the tank in Siberia ?

This is what I think was happening - Mitch has a Borg device in his brain and they would use him, control him and wipe his memory.  Or maybe that had to wipe his memory first, each time he came out of the tank, just like in Wayward Pines and OMG two nutso stories are crossing here!

1 hour ago, raven said:

This is what I think was happening - Mitch has a Borg device in his brain and they would use him, control him and wipe his memory.  Or maybe that had to wipe his memory first, each time he came out of the tank, just like in Wayward Pines and OMG two nutso stories are crossing here!

Even better -- Mitch is the Winter Soldier !!!  </MCU>

Is his nickname Bucky when he was pretending to be Charles Duncan ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1