Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Resurrection

The Mirror Universe counterpart of Kira's dead love, Vedek Bareil, takes her hostage on Deep Space Nine as he is running from the evil Alliance of his universe.

At this point, I think DS9 had gone to the "mirror universe" well a bit too often. I realize it must have been a blast for the cast to play their evil counterparts (especially Nana Visitor) and ham it up all over the place, but the ease with which these people were moving back and forth between dimensions made it seem like everyone from the mirror universe should have been trying to get to our universe, once they found out how much better it was. 

Also, we see that for the most part these characters were essentially the same, morally, in either universe, but molded by their circumstances. Bareil, for example, had to lead a very different life in the mirror universe, but a simple meeting with our Kira and an Orb experience turns him just as "good" as our Bareil. So why was Mirror Kira so damn evil? What does that say about our Kira? If she had come to the same level of power in our universe would she, too, have turned into a narcissistic egomaniac?

Nana Visitor herself said that the two Kira's weren't that different, just that all the love and devotion our Kira turned outward - to her people, her home, her colleagues, the Prophets, etc - Intendent Kira turned inward to herself.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Nana Visitor herself said that the two Kira's weren't that different, just that all the love and devotion our Kira turned outward - to her people, her home, her colleagues, the Prophets, etc - Intendent Kira turned inward to herself.

That's what I got, they were basically the same, one cared about her people, the other herself. The Mirror Universe Worf was a war bent person and screw the honor. Unlike our Worf who was bent on honor and his beliefs along with loving his adopted family. 

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Nana Visitor has also says the Intendent was closer to her own personality than Kira was.  Which, um ok.....

Which you have to wonder, I have seen and heard her at conventions and other situations, and they say she is very pleasant to work with and talk to. 

Ha! I doubt Nana Visitor thinks of herself as a sociopathic narcissist. I think maybe she's referring to how the Intendent is more playful and less serious than regular Kira.

You know how I honestly think of this episode? The One That Proves Bareil Is Boring in Any Universe.

• Love 3

Bajoran men really are drips, aren't they? The women are so powerful, distinct and interesting (even when they're evil like Winn) but the men were writing failures pretty much across the board with Bareil being the worst of all. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, vibeology said:

Bajoran men really are drips, aren't they? The women are so powerful, distinct and interesting (even when they're evil like Winn) but the men were writing failures pretty much across the board with Bareil being the worst of all. 

Yes on all accounts. Even the generals who were men were complete: "Oh um... duh!" 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:11 AM, vibeology said:

Bajoran men really are drips, aren't they?

Dr Mora was OK, as was that General from The Circle, but overall not a stunning presence for male Bajorans.

On 7/19/2017 at 1:30 PM, iMonrey said:

At this point, I think DS9 had gone to the "mirror universe" well a bit too often.

I agree with you.  The first DS9 mirror universe episode was interesting, just because it was a novelty.  But I've had no desire to see it since.  Every so often they'll have one, and I'll think "Oh no, another mirror universe episode.  I just don't care about it.

• Love 1

This was the weakest of the mirror episodes, IMO, and that's really saying something. Never was a great fan of Bariel to begin with, and then they brought in another one? Sheesh.

• Love 1

Referring to a discussion like a year ago,  but I like how Miles is basically the exact same in both universes. He's always a good person who he want to route for.

I also never really liked Bariel as he was kind of boring. But the other Bajorian Kira dates was way worse. I never saw the connection of their relationship.