Type keyword(s) to search

Alaskan Bush People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

One thing that drove me crazy in this episode was the way they were building that straw bale cob barn/stable. They just stacked those bales like tinker toy blocks. They were supposed to be jamming rebar lengths into the bales to connect them together with the one next to them and above/below them  as a sort of internal skeletal bones support and strengthening system. 

Those bales are just going to crumble apart and separate during and after any rain, except for the fact that the experts probably came in right afterwards and took it all apart and did it the proper way... which I’m sure they did. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The main thing that stuck out at me this episode was that the closed captioning is back to saying "Dad" again, although it sounds like the kids are probably still saying "Da".

On the previews for next week, I noticed Rhain with an "h" joins in on the howling.  

Maybe Gabe is wearing that mascara in the interviews to draw focus away from his mouth with all the rubber bands.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The main thing that stuck out at me this episode was that the closed captioning is back to saying "Dad" again, although it sounds like the kids are probably still saying "Da".

On the previews for next week, I noticed Rhain with an "h" joins in on the howling.  

Maybe Gabe is wearing that mascara in the interviews to draw focus away from his mouth with all the rubber bands.

I also noticed that Dad thing on close caption, and that Rhain joined in with the howling.  If I were Gabe I’d do anything to draw attention away from the mouth too.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, realityobserver said:

Lol at Gabe's made up face on the poster.  Is Gabe having second thoughts about his gender identity?  When's the last time we saw his family?

It's a good thing Noah is good for some comedy here and there, because he would be a really unlikable fellow.

I agree Ami's lines sound very scripted, and I thought that when Bam said "Da would be proud" too.  I think someone might have given Bam a talking to and told him he better get with the program, because last week he howled with the other kids and this week he was going along with the gold mining plan.  

That was interesting information on why the machinery's motors were still working.  And apparently since they got that one part working, that means there is a huge generator somewhere they're keeping hidden, just because?  I guess that way they don't have to explain where they got the generator.

Does anyone know where this group is actually living?  In the old days, everyone knew they were staying in the hotel in Hoonah, or wherever it was.  Now days no one cares enough to find out.  Even the entertainment media is apparently too busy pushing their own political narratives to do any investigating. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Lol at Gabe's made up face on the poster. 

Sometimes making the opening poster takes a lot of thought and work. With Gabe and the makeup it truly made me chuckle as I did it, which doesn't happen a lot. Haha... Always glad when someone notices the little nuances (like the penguin who is always showing up, or the woodpecker on Bird's head in other posters), that just makes my day... Thanks my friend !

22 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Does anyone know where this group is actually living?

I always assumed they crawled out from under a rock, in the bottom of a scum pond, deep in the dark haunted forest of demons and goblins, but I may be mistaken....

Or possibly Wichita ? IDK.....

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Lol at Gabe's made up face on the poster.  Is Gabe having second thoughts about his gender identity?  When's the last time we saw his family?

I have started to wonder the same thing.

• Love 1

This was the season finale, but next week's show is labeled "new" on Discovery.  Probably just a new clip show, we've seen this sort of thing before, maybe a recap of the season.  But I'll likely check it out long enough to see.

I thought a lot of the 40 day ceremony was moving, but when they raised the flag and asked Da for a gust of wind, and the producers added in the wind sound effect, that was a pretty cringe moment.

The captions are still saying "Dad".

Bird got so much paint in her hair I thought she was going to have to shave her head.

I've always thought there was something deeply psychological going on with Billy, and how he lost his family in the plane crash when he was young.  And that caused him to keep his kids around him, even as they reached adulthood, and even isolated them from the outside world in some ways, just to keep them closer.  

Now that he is gone, Noah and Bird were talking about leaving.  I guess Ami doesn't have the force of will that Billy did to keep the family together.  I know Bird wants to be in Alaska, but it makes zero sense to me that she would want to be away from her family, especially since she's so close to Rain.  Although Rain seems one of the most likely to go off and have a normal life.  Noah, I cannot imagine what the heck he would do in the real world, because who would tolerate his arrogance?  Start his own blacksmithing business?  Small engine repair?  I have no idea.

Meanwhile, the mining equipment lays unused.  Will there be another season?  To be continued.

• Love 3

Thank you Reality Observer for all your recaps this season. They were way more entertaining than the actual shows for sure, and I looked forward to them every week. I will be sad knowing there aren’t going to be anymore about this show for a while, possibly forever, since we don’t know where the future of the Browns will go.                           
Your style of humor was topnotch snark, a very welcomed break from the insane reality we were observing which wasn’t reality at all. 
They all look too well fed for people who subsist off the land which didn’t look like it produced anything at all except to be space for their dumping of garbage. 🦨💨

One thing that annoyed me about this episode was the secret storage Billy had that was filled with furniture he had acquired for the house that he and Ami were to live in. He again was in complete control of his doormat wife Ami who it seems did not get to put in her opinion or choices of what she might have wanted to be sitting on or using as furniture in “their” house. Everything had to be Billys choice, chosen by Billy, with no input of anyone else’s preferences.  He had an eye for antiques, which were nice, but if I were the spouse I certainly would want to have a say in what was purchased for the houses interior decor. That French provincial settee was not too comfortable looking for hunkering down for a night of movies and popcorn.

I wonder where they found those obvious Hostess cupcakes in the bush, known to be one of Billys favorites, burning away on that plate. I see Eli thought they were pretty good too. I’m glad the little fella is not deprived of the simple good things in life, like chemical filled production line produced chocolate cupcakes filled with sugar cream. 
Those poor animals being dragged back up to the enclosure with nothing  to graze on except mud and dirt and no meadows to frolic in, was depressing. 😥

Till next time fellow ABP watchers! If there is one. I’ve  enjoyed everyones posts on here and Thank you all. 🥰

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Everything had to be Billys choice, chosen by Billy, with no input of anyone else’s preferences.  He had an eye for antiques, which were nice, but if I were the spouse I certainly would want to have a say in what was purchased for the houses interior decor. That French provincial settee was not too comfortable looking for hunkering down for a night of movies and popcorn.

That crossed my mind as well.  Of course, maybe Billy was just buying the set decoration for their TV house.  Who knows where they really live, or planned to live?

I've always wondered about the weight of some of these characters, who are supposedly living off the land.  From what has been presented, apparently they get a steady diet of canned meat and Hostess cupcakes.  I admit I have a weakness for Hostess cupcakes myself, unfortunately.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, realityobserver said:

Heyyy, you left Railing Kill and started your own website, didn't you?  Pretty cool.  Funny stuff, as usual.  You were right on about all the dead on projects this season.  Failed zipline.  Mining equipment lying in a heap.  Now the family may be breaking apart.  Hopefully there is another season for you to recap.

Bird always did like eating raw onions.  

Is there any special significance to the misspelled "Brown" on "The Billy Bown Memorial Hour"?  You're probably just amusing yourself, but I thought for a moment maybe I missed such a misspelling on the 40 Day Celebration handout books they had on the table.  I thought that was kind of strange, they were almost like programs that you get at sports shows.  I guess they do give out pamphlets at funerals though, I suppose this is similar to that.  

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

Is there any special significance to the misspelled "Brown" on "The Billy Bown Memorial Hour"? 

I did not even notice that.... Just a typo, and I try so hard to get it right haha

Thanks for pointing that out and it has now been corrected ! I need an editor and spellchecker !!!

11 hours ago, rmontro said:

Heyyy, you left Railing Kill and started your own website, didn't you? 

RK decided to exit the recap business after some issues... They were very helpful letting me use their website and I was sorry to see them go. I had to put together this new site and write the recap at the same time, probably why I couldn't spell things right ! 

All the old recaps are archived someplace, maybe I can retrieve them and post, but for now it is just the new stuff, the only thing that stays the same is change....

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, realityobserver said:

I did not even notice that.... Just a typo, and I try so hard to get it right haha

Lol, I was sure it was a joke that was going over my head.

I figured you were showing some ambition in starting your own site, I didn't know Railing Kill was closing down.  That's too bad, especially since all your recaps were on there.

• Love 1

I wouldn't want those scumbag grifters living anywhere me either. How helpful would they be in a bad hurricane? Around here, neighbors help each other out but those fools would bail out to Hawaii and leave the production crew to board up.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

I've got to be honest, I wouldn't really be thrilled to have them move into the neighborhood either, mainly because of all the filming.  But that doesn't mean I wouldn't shake a hand if offered.  Seems a bit rude.  And why?  Because they're on a fake reality show?  There are worse sins in the world.

Why don't they just live (or film) on their mountain?  Why do they need to move to a new locale every couple of years?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

New season.  Bird's cancer scare was a surprise, but I was suspicious of it after what happened with Ami.  Ovarian tumors, I suppose she'll have a hysterectomy, and not be able to have children.  Seems said, but kind of ironic, since we've never seen her with a date before.  

Noah wants to live in Alaska now (and Bird too probably).  Looks like the family will be going their different ways finally.  They might as well sell the mountain property.  They said they wanted to make the ranch profitable in this episode, but I just don't see that happening.  If the family does move in different directions, are there going to be multiple camera crews following them around?

Looks like Raiven will be a regular on the show now, unlike Gabe's wife.  

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I see Gabe is sticking with the Keith Richards school of eye makeup.  But I don't recall his hair being blond last season, or so long.  I have to tell you, I don't think this is a good look for Gabe.

Haven't watched yet (recorded; I'll watch later) but I'm surprised to see Bear's girlfriend back in the picture.  Good for Bear!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I see Gabe is sticking with the Keith Richards school of eye makeup.  But I don't recall his hair being blond last season, or so long.  I have to tell you, I don't think this is a good look for Gabe.

Maybe not, but has Gabe found a good look yet?

I'm quite surprised Raiven ended up marrying Bear.  I hope things work out for him/them.  Bear definitely seems to love his son.  

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Maybe not, but has Gabe found a good look yet?

Hah.  Point taken.

More from rmontro:

I'm quite surprised Raiven ended up marrying Bear.  I hope things work out for him/them.  Bear definitely seems to love his son.  

It *would* be spelled "Raiven," wouldn't it.

I think Bear is endearing, and I'm in favor of just about anything that makes him happy.

• Love 4

The guy at the lumber mill commented on Gabe’s eyeliner. Then commented it was weird. 😀

Was that cat food Bird opened and put on bread for her and Rain? Maybe I misheard?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Well, I've always enjoyed these guys as a pack of loony, sort of lovable, and fake, but with Bird's cystectomy showing probability of cancer in the future, I surprised myself by how upset I got.  I was bored when their father died--sorry for them, but essentially not interested.  But for Bird to have the decision forced on her as to whether she will want to have children in the future seems so cruel and wrong.  Bird has never shown any interest in dating, and probably the best solution would be to have the complete hysterectomy and thus end any fear of developing ovarian cancer--and I hope this is what she will do.

Unasked-for-sharing:  my daughter, who is disabled, has the BRCA gene, and this decision was handed to me and her dad.  We never believed she should become pregnant anyway, so the decision was much easier for us, but even so, during her surgery I retreated to the car and cried my heart out.  It's a really, really tough situation to be in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Well, I've always enjoyed these guys as a pack of loony, sort of lovable, and fake

That should be the tagline for their shows, it would be great advertising:  Loony!  Lovable!  Fake!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

It sounds like Bird is going to go to Alaska even before she's recovered from her surgery.  Oh, Bird...  The possibilities for medical disaster are so great and so serious that it's going to be hard for me to watch.  If she still has to use a pillow to hold against her belly in order to be able to cough--or laugh--she's not ready to travel anywhere.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mothra said:

It sounds like Bird is going to go to Alaska even before she's recovered from her surgery.  Oh, Bird...  The possibilities for medical disaster are so great and so serious that it's going to be hard for me to watch.  If she still has to use a pillow to hold against her belly in order to be able to cough--or laugh--she's not ready to travel anywhere.

I'm suspicious about the timeline.  It certainly looks like Bird is rushing things, but I wonder how much time has elapsed since her operation?   One minute she can barely sit up, and the next she's packing for Alaska on her own, including a watermelon.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

My heart breaks for Bird. Those are some huge tumors they removed from her. I am surprised they were able to leave her ovaries intact. The poor girl was never socialized and given the opportunity her own parents had while growing up to meet other people and find her prince charming. Now she is obviously very nervous and has social anxiety at age 27. She hasn’t a clue how to go about attracting a suitor. Not having her front tooth fixed adds to her anxiety I’m sure. Now she has to worry about whether or not she ever wants to be, gets to be, a mother herself, before she even has a first kiss! I wish they would use some of the millions they each have made from the show to 1- get her tooth fixed, and 2-get some never been used lumber to built your house Gabe! and have something better than a “kinda nice” house for your kids and family to live in. They aren’t paupers like their parents were at that age.
Bear at least got himself and his new little family an up to date livable trailer to stay in while they come up with something better than the shipping crates he used as a bachelor wild man. 
Gabe has finally lost his lifelong braces from his teeth, but the eye makeup is just plain weird. Especially for such a hairy burly man guy that he is. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Something that just occurred to me (if this has been brought up already, have pity on my aging brain).  Has Bird talked to anybody about harvesting and freezing her eggs?  That would buy her lots of time to decide whether she wanted children (using a surrogate).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Mothra said:

Has Bird talked to anybody about harvesting and freezing her eggs?  That would buy her lots of time to decide whether she wanted children (using a surrogate).

Just as long as she doesn't use the "bush method", whatever that might be.

I guess @realityobserver isn't recapping the episodes anymore?  Looks like railingkill is gone  :(

• Sad 2

I feel so bad for Bird. It seems like she has adopted a way of being that assures no men, (or woman) would ever be attracted to her and she does not seem to care one bit about a future in a marriage or boyfriend type of relationship. 

So willingly biting off fish heads and having dead bloody fish breath would certainly be a complete turn off to any potential suitors... unless she finds a Bear type personality fellow, who may think it’s cool, but that would be almost impossible to find in her limited world. She has shown no interest in improving her looks with getting her tooth fixed, or enhancing her looks and wardrobe, like her sister Rain has, with her home made makeup. Store bought too. 

She looked very uncomfortable and awkward when trying on those clothes in that shop, that day. She was only doing it to appease her sisters insistence and encouraging her to.

She does not seem like she would be adverse to having her own children someday though. She is very nurturing to her pets, her child substitutes. Her heart is just filled with love for the little ones and animals who need her. 

The way she acts makes me think she has had some kind of trauma in her life that was sexual abuse. Up there alone on the mountain who knows what kind of creeps may have crept out of the wilderness woods, or maybe that is why Matt is completely shunned and cut off from the rest of the family. Raised alone in the woods apart from society it has not been unheard of for isolated growing young boys to do the unthinkable, and has his guilt sent him on a road of addiction and booze? 

Could this be the reason Bird is the way she is? I know I am completely in the dark on this possible matter, but it has crossed my mind. 

It is just incredibly sad to think she may never connect with outsiders or ever have any true love because she is terrified of doing so. It’s just something that makes me go... Hmmmm. 

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, SassyCat said:

The way she acts makes me think she has had some kind of trauma in her life that was sexual abuse

I don't know if your theory is correct, but I would really like to know her train of thought on the matter.  Maybe she's just emotionally immature and doesn't know how to proceed.  Maybe she's genuinely asexual and aromantic.  Maybe she's just a late bloomer.  At this point she seems destined to be "Aunt Bird" in the family.  But like you, I wonder about the reasons.

They've shown this season she is very emotionally invested in her childhood, you wonder if she has been able to move beyond it?  None of us know what it's like to grow up so isolated (if in fact that is the truth - at the very least they seem to be home schooled).  Maybe it's all BS and she's really married with five children lol.

Edited by rmontro
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

They've shown this season she is very emotionally invested in her childhood, you wonder if she has been able to move beyond it? 

Yes! The way she wanted to go to that childhood playground with that lame bunch of equipment, was something she REALLY wanted to revisit. Plus, after they finally got that boat going again after it was stuck in the middle of the water, while running late for Noahs appointment to look at the property... she really wanted to chance turning the boat in a different direction other than straight ahead, to retrieve a bottle in the water that she kept insisting may have a message in it. That was very childish. Every foot of progress towards the destination was the obvious important matter at hand while being on a boat that could break down again at any minute. Especially when they already JUST lost time for getting to Noahs appointment. Shes like a pre-adolescent.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I wonder if that spot in Alaska with the playground was the last time she was truly happy? Little kids don't know any better but at a certain point / age I imagine Bird became disenchanted with Billy dragging them from hovel to hovel and babbling on about HIS dreams. There was no stability and until they went from zero to making money from the show. Billy fashioned himself as this man capable of living off the grid in the wild, but which of his hair brained ventures actually succeeded and provided his family a good home, education, guaranteed meals, friends etc? None until the show, and all we've seen is fake and failure. They love him and I have no doubt he loved his kids, but he was a very selfish man who put himself first. The results of his failed attempt at providing a life for his family are his failed children. If he had really been all about this of the grid life style he never would have put his children on camera for money.

I will say, Bam really seems to be thinking about what will make the farm profitable. I have always got the feeling he thought his Dad was a bit of an ass. I believe he really wants to make it his permanent home and would gladly do away with the cameras if he and the rest of the family didn't need the income. Maybe Bear and Amy can stay and listen to Bam in order to make a working ranch. I can't figure out Gabe. I think he wants to live in town and just drive up the mountain for the show. Maybe he can do make up tutorials on Utube?  

Noah wanting to move back to Alaska to make a better life for his family with a REAL house is a good sign. He is not afraid to move away from the clan in order to do what is right. I'm not sure what his plan was for work once there but being away from the rest of the family is a good plan.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the show ends. I don't know if any of the kids banked enough money so that they never have to work a real job for the rest of their life. Once the tiny bit of fame and money stops I think some of the boys may find themselves single again. Bear's wife clearly does not really want to be there, she just wants to be on TV and not have a real job. She's just too young and dumb to realize the money he made won't go as far as she thinks.

I watched an excellent movie called The Glass Castle with Woody Harrelson and Naomi Watts as parents who never wanted to live a traditional life, meaning they didn't want to work real jobs. It's based on a book written by one of the couples 4 children.  I highly recommend it. A true story about what instability can do to a child.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Heres what Matt (and others) has said about himself and what happened. 
I also have seen elsewhere that the family combined has 60million dollars. 
I do hope when Ami leaves this earth, that she divides what she controls, equally between her 7 children. 
https://thebiography.org/what-happened-to-matt-brown-from-alaskan-bush-people/

I thought this quote from the article was interesting:

'According to some reports, Billy’s memoir, “One Wave at a Time,” was published in 2007'.

According to some reports?  Don't they know?  I know the book is obscure, but wow.  I don't think it's been in print since the show has been on (you can get it used, but it's expensive).  You'd think with a TV show behind it, some publisher would want to put it in print.

Too bad about Matt.  I used to like him on the show, the way he went around going "Ha HA!" all the time.  I wonder which of his brothers was "driven to the edge of insanity" by the production?  I'd guess either Bear (for obvious reasons), or maybe Gabe (he went through a real bad patch when Ami was sick).

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Da, Da, Da,Da, da da da da da da da.

If I heard them (BIRD and Rain) say Da one more time during this last episode I was going to have vomitus projectionalisous Grand’e. I can make up stupid stuff too. See how innovative and different I can be? 

Cripe, even a baby says Dada. Two da’s in a row. It. just. sounds. so. stupid. and was only started during the last couple episodes he was still alive. So that makes it SUPER annoying. 

Poor Eli was so sick, that after taking his temperature, Noah did’t dare say what it actually was, but just said he had a fever and then ran to the freezer to get a frozen slab of fish to put on Eli, because as Noah said, high fevers cause brain damage. I guess it was high enough to be worrisome that brain damage could happen, so thus the frozen fish torture. Better than making him bite the head off a fresh dead one though.

Maybe it was time to get the little fella to a doctor.  They managed to get to the shore to get Gabe to the dentist for Hurty tooth.

I was reading somewhere that the reason Bird has not had her tooth fixed was because Billy FORBADE it. He wanted them to have nothing to do with doctors or dentists. That would cut into his pocket money you know. Heaven forbid one of the children he brought into this world needed medical assistance. I think the parting with $$ was the main factor Billy the bully did not allow his born into slavery children, medical aid. Gabes teeth must have been REALLY bad for Billy to allow him to have braces in his childhood. He certainly did have them for a long time, which points to that assumption on my part. 

Rain sure looked like she could a doctor too, she was grey white skinned and nauseous. Probably seasick. She wasn’t looking so well even after getting back on land. Very pale. So maybe it was more than seasickness. 

Gabes eye makeup was smeared. He’s got to look into waterproof mascara. I read he claims he does that as a form of mourning his father. When he’s mourned enough and feels ready to move on, he will stop wearing the “dark eye”.

One thing for sure, Mosman is a gorgeous part of Alaska. 

I’d love to spend some time there, alone, just soaking up the beautiful nature and peace. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Gabes eye makeup was smeared. He’s got to look into waterproof mascara. I read he claims he does that as a form of mourning his father. When he’s mourned enough and feels ready to move on, he will stop wearing the “dark eye”.

Um, what?  At least now there's an explanation.  I guess he thinks it looks emo?

6 hours ago, SassyCat said:

One thing for sure, Mosman is a gorgeous part of Alaska. 

I’d love to spend some time there, alone, just soaking up the beautiful nature and peace. 

Sure, until you get killed by a moose.

• LOL 1
On 11/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, SassyCat said:

And what is that nasty perm mourning?  Daylight Savings Time?

My heart is breaking for both of the girls.  First Bird with her impossible gynecological situation--will you want a baby some time in the future?  Or don't you want to risk ovarian cancer?  Too much for a young woman who has no real support to help her decide.  Ami is pretty useless in every situation, but you'd think her own cancer history would make her at least a little more sensitive to what Bird's going through.

And poor, poor Rain--did she have a complete emotional breakdown?  Even wack-a-doo Bird was looking askance when Rain starting telling her she'd been talking to "Da" and he had told her she and Bird were supposed to stay together or some shit.

BTW, "Da" is old-fashioned Irish for father; maybe the Browns used to be the O'Browns.

I'm surprised by how disinterested Noah is in other people, even his own little son when he was obviously ill.  Maybe he has not been made aware (in the stuff we've been shown) of Rain's precarious mental state.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

I'm surprised by how disinterested Noah is in other people, even his own little son when he was obviously ill.  Maybe he has not been made aware (in the stuff we've been shown) of Rain's precarious mental state.

I thought he was attentive to his son.   And he was interested in helping that off the grid couple a few shows back.  What interests me is that he wants to buy this island home and live in fairly complete isolation, and leave the rest of his family behind.  In some ways that seems healthy, but considering the "pack" has always been together all this time, I wonder what makes him different about it.  He seems to have been wanting to ditch his siblings ever since he met Rhain with an H.

You wonder about how severe Rain's breakdown really was.  Was she actually hallucinating talking to Da, or was she just going through a difficult emotional path?  Strange.

And why do we never see Gabe's wife?

23 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought he was attentive to his son.   And he was interested in helping that off the grid couple a few shows back.  What interests me is that he wants to buy this island home and live in fairly complete isolation, and leave the rest of his family behind.  In some ways that seems healthy, but considering the "pack" has always been together all this time, I wonder what makes him different about it.  He seems to have been wanting to ditch his siblings ever since he met Rhain with an H.

You wonder about how severe Rain's breakdown really was.  Was she actually hallucinating talking to Da, or was she just going through a difficult emotional path?  Strange.

And why do we never see Gabe's wife?

When I had young kids, and we had to move for my husband's job, the number one concern, even before quality of public schools, was finding a neighborhood (preferably with sidewalks) where a lot of little kids lived.  Noah and RuHain's kids will grow up like their father did, strange and with a mysterious accent; I guess they were all home-schooled (?) and all the next generation will be, too.

For a certain kind of kid (I was one) who loves to read and play by themselves, maybe this is the perfect childhood.

But these children (and their parents) will never have a chance to learn that there is another way of life, one they might be more comfortable in.  And, as you point out, they'll even be cut off from their aunts, uncles and (saddest of all) cousins.

I think Rain's collapse was grief over her father's death that she had not experienced or expressed yet.  It's scary that it was so sudden, appearing over the course of only a few days, and going straight to hallucinations.  I do think it was real, just bizarre.

Gabe's wife is there; she's just embarrassed to be seen with him.

• Love 4

I think the place Noah chose is a place he thinks of as his dream spot, but.... it sure will be insanely hard for a woman with a baby there, along with another little fella Eli, who wants to be on the go. There is no area for playing outside near the house. Its just a tiny house, with water in front and hills straight up and covered with bramble and trees covering it, in the back and side. There is no where to let the kids play. Carting anything into the house will also mean holding onto and carrying a baby the same time because he could just fall into the water at any moment. I hope Noah plans on making that planked walkway, safer for little ones to walk on without falling into the water. 

That place and a baby on the way is a terrible choice. Is there a baby on the way? I forget. Its cute for adults, but there’s no good space for the children there. Is he going to ferry a bulldozer out there to clear and level any space to grow a garden or have a place for kids to play outside? They are going to need vegetables.

Its basically a cottage hanging off the side of a mountain over the water.

Food will be needed. It wont be easy to shop and bring home the basic essential food there. Storage? Is there any storage place for food and other items they will need? I didn’t see much more than a basic roof over their heads. It will be much harder than living on a normal, level and clearable area in the wilderness. Expansion for the growing family will be almost impossible living at the bottom of a vertical drop. I think it would be a bummer living there full time. Or trying to live there. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

He did say he is going to build a castle there. 😁 We have heard that before though. I think this was just fodder for the show. My guess is on the next season we will never hear anymore about him moving the family to Alaska unless he has been promised a spinoff series.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

He did say he is going to build a castle there. 😁 We have heard that before though. I think this was just fodder for the show. My guess is on the next season we will never hear anymore about him moving the family to Alaska unless he has been promised a spinoff series.

That little island would be a small world for a spinoff, and a small world to live in.  I don't imagine there would even be any hunting there.  Probably sounds more fun in theory than in practice.  But the occasional boat trip to town for a few hundred cans of Spam, and they'd be good for a couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This last episode seemed like a rerun, with them trying to get the mining equipment set up again.  Yawn.  Gabe was talking about his wife and girls.  I guess I forgot or didn't realize he had multiple children.

Everyone seems to want to settle on the mountain, except Noah.  He wants to get out of there and live on his own island.  Bird wanted to live in Alaska, but somewhere during her trip that seems to have been forgotten.  I hope Rain doesn't end up troubled like Matt.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I enjoyed Gabe's operatic aria singing, it was funny and he actually wasn't that bad.

I hope Rain doesn't have schizophrenia.  I doubt that's what it is, but it often manifests around age 18, so she's about the right age, and she said she was talking to her Da.  Schizophrenia symptoms include hallucinations and delusions.  Probably just some emotional problems.  But she has always seemed one of the more normal of the bunch.

The guy who was picking up the longhorns must have figured out by the second day that they needed some help figuring out how to load them, because on day two he was giving advice and helping out.  They said they were selling the calves to two different buyers, so I'm not sure why one guy was picking them up.  That was a little confusing.

Season finale next week.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

I agree that Gabes opera singing was funny, entertaining, and not hard to listen to. I wonder if he does have a wonderful singing voice. 

I do hope Rain is ok and not , as you say @rmontro, that she is showing signs of schizophrenia. I never even thought of that. Some people really do have a strong connection to the unseen world, and living in nature really is the best place to be able to develop those extra senses that a lot of people don’t even realize they too, have. A busy bustling constant noise around you life, like most live, isn’t the best atmosphere to be able to develop these extra senses. People are taught to ignore their own inner voice and intuition from the get-go or be thought of as “crazy”. It isn’t as crazy as some people think. 

If she was actually hearing his voice, well then, that would be concerning, but otherwise, people can receive messages from beyond the veil in other various ways. 

So... I hope they aren’t pushing her to think she is not mentally competent,, if she is. She’s grieving and vulnerable, and now must be incredibly worried about her sister/best friend, to boot. She’s probably working hard at finding some answers internally for herself, and her sisters future because of the trauma and change her life has recently and still is going through. Maybe she desperately wants to, and tried to contact her father while hiking, roaming around in the big beautiful wilderness where no other peoples thoughts are flying around in the air, that we all unknowingly pick up on, subconsciously. 

I know I have personally been able to actually internally “hear” a passing thought of a distant neighbor at one time, while far out in the sticks, without all the psychic clutter in the “air”.  It was quick and fleeting, but really happened. Cities are teaming with psychic clutter in the air. Millions of peoples thoughts.

I saw such a sincerity in her face while she was talking to Bird, these things that she received as messages, from her deep and intense searching for answers about “life”. I don’t doubt that for one minute she did not find the answers she was hoping to find. 

She felt safe to tell Bird, but never should have done that on camera. The world just isn’t ready for that kind of rare peek into the mind of someone who probably was born with all her buttons turned on.

People pay big money and spend years, decades of time trying to develop what comes naturally to some, and hoping to have their psychic buttons turned on. Some are born who try to turn them on, not realizing that they already are turned on. I think Rain is one of those lucky/unlucky (to some), people. 

I think Rain is a natural and I hope the world doesn’t try to tell her she must be crazy and to take this or that pill, which will just numb her abilities. Turn it off and erase them. I hope she doesn’t fall for that kind of pressure to think something must be wrong, mentally, with her. 

Unless of course something is... but I don’t think so.

• Useful 1

Since it's slow news time for the show, thought I'd bring this up.  Have you seen the Wendy's commercial for the peppermint Frosty, with the guy who looks like Santa?  Every time I see this, I think the Santa guy looks like Gabe.  Well, if Gabe's beard was white.  And Santa wore mascara.  But he does remind me of Gabe, especially at the end where the guy tries to sit on his lap.  Anyone else see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdpoFlpn6Gk

• Like 1
  • LOL 1