Type keyword(s) to search

Down With Love (2003)

DisneyBoy
  • Start Topic

I stumbled across this underappreciated gem in a discount DVD bin well over a decade ago and was astonished and delighted once I watched the actual film. It's clever, it's funny, it's stylish, it's musical and it always puts a smile on my face. I think I'm going to have to give it a rewatch soon because it's been too long. Great cast and a great concept.

Unfortunately it apparently bombed upon release. I could see why this might be a hard sell, but if people had given it a chance I honestly think they would have loved it.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I stumbled across this underappreciated gem in a discount DVD bin well over a decade ago and was astonished and delighted once I watched the actual film. It's clever, it's funny, it's stylish, it's musical and it always puts a smile on my face. I think I'm going to have to give it a rewatch soon because it's been too long. Great cast and a great concept.

Unfortunately it apparently bombed upon release. I could see why this might be a hard sell, but if people had given it a chance I honestly think they would have loved it.

I liked that movie. I have the DVD. It's a campy romantic comedy but fun. 

• Love 3

It's a great double feature with Pillow Talk, too, so you can see the original and the pastiche. I have the DVD and novelization both because I think novelizations are a lovely retro thing to create nowadays. And Ewan does make a delightful "ladies' man, man's man, man about town".

• Love 2
On 2017-05-27 at 11:11 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I liked that movie. I have the DVD. It's a campy romantic comedy but fun. 

I would just like to add to your comments and say the following:

Yes. Everything you said is certainly true. I would like to add that it also carries some wonderful life lessons about love and falling in love and it is just something wonderful to see if you are about to fall in love or if you will soon fall in love. Hi Ho Silver!

"Hi Ho Silver" is not really some kind of meaningful message. It's just a way to express one's enthusiasm or joy after finding something that you consider to be highly meaningful or motivating. This film is just so worth seeing. I love, love, loved it! Oh, yes I did!

• Love 2

I really loved this.  It probably helped that I'd watched Doris Day comedies.  That one scene where Rene Zellweger gives that epic monologue explaining her origins is a favorite of mine.   I was really impressed she managed that whole huge convoluted explanation.

• Love 3

I think my favorite part about that whole monologue was the cut to Ewan immediately after looking utterly gob-smacked. As if he, too, couldn't believe she managed to recite that whole thing. Never fails to make me laugh.

It's a fun movie. I enjoy it immensely.

• Love 3