Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Down in Flames

• Start Topic

The Brenna A is finally experiencing some trouble and it's because some of Sean's crew are being whiny babies about cod fishing. Luckily, Sean won't let crap like that slide (unlike Jake) and was very cutthroat. Good for him.

Wild Bill still in denial about the crab disappearing, but he's finally hitting better numbers. Poor Nick though :(. They straight up called Nick Bill's surrogate son and it shows. They hugged. :'( Wild Bill even says he talks more to Nick than his own son.

Jake. Just Jake. Boy needs to learn when to quit talking. You said you were gonna keep quiet about you thinking Sig set you up, but you didn't. You only angered papa duck. Speaking of papa duck, when the ducklings were in trouble they came a swimmin' back to Sig. Feel a bit bad for Sean though. Jake gets thrown a lifeline, but Sean gets stuck with cod fishing. I can only assume it's because Sig and Jake are relatively in the same location while Sean is elsewhere.

Don't worry, Sean, I'm sure you'll get some of Jake's quota soon enough.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

Jake just can't help himself, can he?  He whines and plays the victim card instead of putting his shoulder to the wheel, and shutting the fuck up about it.  He is so insecure it's almost painful to watch.

Sean, although much younger, exhibits so much more maturity.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Jake just can't help himself, can he?  He whines and plays the victim card instead of putting his shoulder to the wheel, and shutting the fuck up about it.  He is so insecure it's almost painful to watch.

Sean, although much younger, exhibits so much more maturity.

The only time Jake seemed comfortable in this episode was when he was replacing the clutch on the boat.  Not everyone is management material.  Maybe he should stick with what he knows best - deck boss and engineer.  At the rate he's going, the stress of being a captain is going to put him in Sig/Phil territory sooner rather than later.

• Love 5

Jake is a friggin' disaster. AZChristian is right. He was only comfortable when he was working on the engines. Speaking of those, don't boats have respirators that the engineers are supposed to put on in case of smoke? We've seen them at least once in past seasons. Those two engineers didn't seem to be brain surgeons. Shut it down first! Get out of there or put on a respirator until the smoke clears. Sean played a good game of chicken with his crew. Most of them should be experienced enough to know that boats fill in with other activities such as cod fishing. Preferable? No, of course not, but that's how it goes sometimes. It will be interesting to see if his engineer, whose life is apparently fully entwined with Sean's, comes to his senses before they reach the dock. He can quit, but then what happens to his car, his clothes, his mailing address, and so forth. Sig is still a softie in a lot of ways. He gets frustrated and angry with Jake, but he keeps trying to help him. Jake then whines like a little kid. Jake was also looking really BAD in this episode. He mustn't be sleeping at all.

• Love 4

Agree with everyone about Jake. His whining and carrying on has long since gotten old. He looks terrible - much older than 36. I agree that he should just be a deck boss or engineer. He simply can not handle the stress of being a captain. He has always been very needy. It was crazy of him to accuse Sig of giving him bad pots. I am glad Sig would not listen to it and hug up on him.  I thought Sean handled his crew well with the announcement they would be fishing Cod. They should get it if they don't make some kind of money there will be no boat to fish on.

Did I hear it wrong or did Nick say the doctors mentioned Cancer and a spot on his lungs when he was talking to Bill.  He looked terrible.

I remember guys from past shows guys going into the engine room with respirators/oxygen equipment. The Saga is just a disasrer, which reflect how poor a captain Jake is.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

Did I hear it wrong or did Nick say the doctors mentioned Cancer and a spot on his lungs when he was talking to Bill.  He looked terrible.

I remember guys from past shows guys going into the engine room with respirators/oxygen equipment. The Saga is just a disasrer, which reflect how poor a captain Jake is.

I thought it was interesting that the other crew member mentioned that his brother had problems and ignored them and his liver "exploded."  I thought Nick looked really jaundiced (yellow) on parts of last night's show.

The Saga is a disaster, but remember . . . Jake inherited the mess that Elliot Neese left.  Pretty sure that Elliot was so busy trying to score drugs and women that he didn't spend much time on preventive maintenance or making sure that there were things like respirators on board.  

• Love 4

AZChristian - I thought the Saga underwent some kind of repair job before Lenny gave the captain job to Jake.  As the captain, isn't it Jake's job to make sure things like respirators/oxygen equipment on board before they leave to fish ?

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

AZChristian - I thought the Saga underwent some kind of repair job before Lenny gave the captain job to Jake.  As the captain, isn't it Jake's job to make sure things like respirators/oxygen equipment on board before they leave to fish ?

Yep, I agree with this for sure.  If it were someone as OCD as I am, I'd have a list of things to check - especially first-aid and safety equipment.  Jake - or someone he designated to do it - should definitely have made sure they had all the safety equipment.  No excuse for not having it.  My opinion about the condition of the Saga is probably colored by my extreme lack of respect for Elliot.  

• Love 3

Air to breathe is nice, but if you're trying to prevent an explosion, somebody probably has to be standing there with a fire extinguisher in case the clutch catches fire.  It appeared they got smoked out of the whole house pretty quickly.  Would be interesting to see them discuss what they did right/wrong.  Respirators seem like a no-brainer, but may not have been at hand for Olle.  The others should have a plan for the future, however - somebody assigned to get them to whoever needs them, everybody else outside on deck if not needed.

• Love 3

I work on ships and we're required to have respirators. I can't recall if it's the Coasties that require it or our organization. I've been on board when a fire broke out once. The engineers shut things down and retreated to where the respirators were or got out of the area entirely. There's a defined order of who does what under various emergency conditions. People with respirators then went in to assess the situation and were able to get it under control, thank goodness.

• Love 4

Jake Anderson must be an idiot! Sig told him that the only reason he wasn't catching crab at their mutual location was because he had misbaited! Did Jake correct his bait, return to that location, and set pots?  Oh no!  What a numbnut!

10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The only time Jake seemed comfortable in this episode was when he was replacing the clutch on the boat.  Not everyone is management material.  Maybe he should stick with what he knows best - deck boss and engineer.  At the rate he's going, the stress of being a captain is going to put him in Sig/Phil territory sooner rather than later.

Jake might make an OK engineer, but as a deck boss, I think he'd have the same problems he has being a captain.  He cannot command the respect or confidence of his shipmates/subordinates, and cannot control his emotional outbursts.  He is simply not secure enough in himself to be able to lead others.   Sad, since he wants it so bad and has worked for it so hard.

• Love 5

I think Jake needs to give up on running a crab boat.  Get a job running a small cruise vessel up the inside passage, Washington State Ferries or a sight-seeing boat on Puget Sound.  Money may be a little less, but he's going to stress out and die, or eventually turn back to drugs and booze like his dad and Elliot.

• Love 2

Facepalm Jake did it again, stuffed a shoe store into his big mouth.  Sig needs to take him behind the woodshed.

1 hour ago, Rock knocker said:

Get a job running a small cruise vessel up the inside passage, Washington State Ferries or a sight-seeing boat on Puget Sound.

Those jobs require management/people skills (and I don't want to be on a ferry with Jake at the wheel).  The crew would probably mutiny before the boat got halfway to Vashon.  He can turn a wrench, but that's about it.

It's a shame Sean wasn't given more crab quota because he acts like he can actually run a boat.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Those jobs require management/people skills (and I don't want to be on a ferry with Jake at the wheel).  The crew would probably mutiny before the boat got halfway to Vashon.  He can turn a wrench, but that's about it.

I think he needs to be in a maritime industry where normalacy is the norm.  I don't think he would be so crazy on any boat where things run normally and there are defined roles.  The fishery is just sleep deprived chaos with chain smoking and a crew composed 40% of folks on the edge of society with social skills to match.

• Love 4
On 4/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, NEGirl said:

Nick certainly did look terrible.  He looked jaundiced to me.  The white cell count he quoted is very concerning.  I wish he hadn't walked out of the hospital when they told him that - he said to his crewmate that he ripped his IVs out and walked out.  He is such a hard worker, so that accident with the pot was kind of shocking - you knew he was very ill for that to happen.  I sincerely hope he is ok.

As for Jake - ugh.  He has yet to prove that he is a worthy captain.  He lets his emotions control him - I'd hate to work for him.  Sean can teach him a thing or two about managing people and staying in control.  Sean is leaps and bounds ahead of Jake as a result.

• Love 2

Bajovane, I totally agree with you--my first glance at Nick, he looked really .....yellow.  I'm not a doctor or medical professional but I'm thinking liver trouble?  I really hope he's ok...dang.  

I just feel sorry for Jake--it seems his emotions are so in control of him.  He just doesn't know when to shut it. 

• Love 2

Despite all my criticisms, I do feel some empathy for Jake.  He was raised in a mostly female household, with a very sick sister; had a terrible fall into drug dependency at a fairly early age - and all that can lead to emotional "stunting" (he's emotionally younger than his years).  Then he suffered horrible losses and gains, all newly sober.  That said, I don't think he's cut out ot the kind of cloth necessary to make him a leader and boss.  He has the desire, and possibly will, but not the temperament.

• Love 5

Walnutqueen - I agree. Jake would be better being a deck boss or engineer. Neither of which he wants to be. So, we are left watching Jake screech, scream, and throw temper tantrums very time he gets stressed, which appears to be very week.

• Love 2