Type keyword(s) to search

Supporting Characters - Gone But Not Necessarily Forgotten

Like many TWW forums, most threads focus on the main characters/senior staff, with a few posts trickling down to the lowly assistants/advisers and the odd family member. But one of the great attributes with this show is how interesting some of the supporting characters are:characters that perhaps only showed up for a handful of episodes before disappearing (not always to Mandyville!)

Below are a few of my faves (they're an eclectic mix, and in some cases not overly popular, but I liked them anyway, and kinda miss them):-

Margaret Hooper - despite being a supporting character, she appeared in just over 100 of the 154 episodes produced. She never had any major story-lines to call her own, but she was dedicated, very loyal, industrious, focused and just generally brilliant at her job, supporting both Leo and CJ throughout all 7 seasons. Of course, there was a brief bit of "Is she dating Bruno?" gossip in S3, as well as who the father was when she was found to be pregnant in S6. But we never did get to find out either! 

Bruno Gianelli - Brilliant in the 3rd season, outstanding in the 7th! Pragmatic, hard-nosed realist, dynamic and a brilliant strategist! It was also a delight seeing him ripping into cocky Josh over Tobacco and the subsequent risk of losing 3 swing states because of it!

Lisa Sherborne - Sam's old flame. Only had one episode, but it was great seeing her with Sam again. Added some backstory to Sam's character too. I liked Lisa, and was hoping to see more of her. But alas it wasn't to be.

Chris Mulready & Evelyn Lang - "The Supremes" ranks in my WW Top 10...No, make that my Top FIVE! (And who would have thought that coming out of the much-maligned S5!) To see both these guys argue over points of law, was a delight, and somehow lifted the level of debate throughout the episode, totally outshining anything coming from the regular staffers!

Elsie Snuffin - Will Bailey's sister (or step sister?). Had a couple of episodes in S4 as an assistant to Will. She really didn't have much to do, or say, in all honesty. But she had a beguiling personality that was never fully tapped. Unfortunately she didn't have much of a future once Will had joined Toby, and therefore took the one-way trip to MV. Shame,

Al Keifer -  Joey Lucas' old flame, and outspoken pollster who thinks Bartlet should care about flag-burning and ignore the advice from his senior staff. A bit of an oddball, but played so well by John "Q" de Lancie. Would have loved more appearances just to see him going toe2toe with Toby again!

Ronna Beckman - I fell in love with her from the off as a lead staffer for Santos' congressional and presidential campaigns. Bright, very loyal, and charismatic. Also lesbian, which as a lesbian myself, was very welcome but totally unexpected in all honesty. And I simply adored the moment she stood on the threshold of the Oval Office, waiting to serve the new president, with a look of child-like amazement on her face, was a true highlight!

Ed & Larry - two recurring staffers, who never really added much other than to always confuse me as to who was whom. Not sure if they ended up in MV, but they were great fun to see around.

Cathy - With the exception of Margaret & Mrs Landingham, Cathy was my favourite senior staffer assistant. But for whatever reason she only lasted one season before being shipped off never to be see of again. Always had the measure of her boss, Sam, and wasn't overly bestowed with his position other than to serve him well.

Cliff Calley - In a better world I would have preferred him to the Josh/Donna Thing. I felt Calley was more suited to Donna's character and charm; but it wasn't to be. I also loved how he defended/supported Leo during his time as a member of the House Oversight Committee investigating Bartlet's non-disclosure of his MS. Moreover, he was good getting in CJ's face when she was CoS, coming away with a box of M&Ms for his troubles.

Andi Wyatt - Toby's ex, and active Congresswoman. In lesser hands her role and story-arc with Toby could have turned into some lame soap-opera; but fortunately the brittle relationship spun this way and that; will they get back together again or not? Will the arrival of twins help bring them together? Alas not. And some people didn't like Andi because of it, especially after turning Toby down despite buying her a lovely house! 

Mike Casper - Worked for the FBI and did some work for Bartlet/Josh. A very understated part, but he had a great personality that deserved a few more episodes than the 2 or 3 he actually got. 

Sheila Brooks - Close adviser to Vinick during the presidential campaign in S6 & 7. A level-headed, clearly spoken Republican moderate, who valiantly steps aside when she realises Vinick isn't getting enough support from the Right of the party.

Danny ConCannon - Loved him in the earlier seasons, not so much in S7. I particularly loved his rant at CJ over Mandy's damaging memo, along with his cryptic investigations over the black-ops assassination of the Qumari Defence Minister at the backend of S3.

Ainsley Hayes - Kicked Sam's ass on Capital Beat. What a great introduction for this "blonde Republican sex-kitten"; she also held her own during her interview with Leo too, even if it meant ending up in the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue! But damn CSI:Miami for taking her away from us!

Oliver Babish - Smooth, reassuring, no-nonsense, yet quite charming for all that. One of those characters that arrives with a bang in S2/3 (MS scandal), disappears again, and then suddenly reappears in S7 (Toby's Shuttle Scandal). I loved the way he didn't care for titles and protocols. Wasn't phased by Bartlet's "I am the president!" or Abbey's "I'm the First Lady" tropes either. Just as well he didn't have a cricket bat lying around, lol

Joey Lucas - Totally phases Josh when they're introduced for the first time (Josh is hungover and looking horrid in his office when Joey arrives, with her Kenny signing for her, as well as yelling at Josh "You're an Idiot!") Joey was "Ying" to Josh's manic "Yang", and I did wonder if something might happen between the both of them. Alas nothing ever did, probably because Joey was just too mild and safe for Josh's masochistic needs. (although what she was doing hanging out with Al Keifer is another issue!)

• Love 2

@Only Zola, I agree with most of these- and your descriptions. I think the only difference is that I didn't like Lisa Sherboune at all. Cliff Calley had good scenes but really That Dratted Diary poisoned the well with him. I do have big additions. Nancy McNally, John Hoynes, Percy Fitzwallace, Dolores Landingham, Debbie Fiderer, Lou Thornton, Annabeth Schott and Amy Gardner all rank super high for me as recurring characters. For more minor characters, Senator Stackhouse, Bernard the Snob, Joe Quincy, and actually Secretary of Defense Hutchinson made great impressions. Ooh also Congressman Bruno of, "I'd like to hold hearings on the two of you....for being stupid! But I don't have that kind of time" fame. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 2
(edited)

The more contributions the merrier! 

I could have mentioned some from your list, especially Hoynes and Landingham. I greatly admired both, and I do so wish both characters remained as regulars rather than a) going totally postal as some kind of sex-fiend, and b) leaving the show to join another show, only to have it cancelled, with no hope of a return to this show!

Never liked Debbie, or Annabeth. Debbie, was just the total opposite to Delores - just breezing into the Oval Office and showing the president little or no respect in terms of conversational manners. I can't quite point my finger on exactly what it was that really grated with me, but she was definitely no Mrs Landingham!

As for Annabeth-  I could never get over the fact she was the deputy press sec that never did formal press briefings behind a rostrum, leaving it to Toby or Will (neither of which I found to be particularly funny and/or realistic)

I liked Amy only in the context that she could give Josh a taste of his own spiteful, arrogant medicine. She was like a Mandy Lite, with a slightly more rounded character, but still far from perfect, and I put that down to Mary Louise Parker overstating the role to the point of squeezing the life-force out of it!

That said, she was most definitely one of the most attractive players in the show - her red dress-reveal, was particularly welcomed!

Lou was like a cross between Amy, Joey, Donna and a splash of Mandy on top! But her painted-on eyebrows and shoulder tatts, were far too distracting! I was half expecting to come on with a cigar and a painted moustache pretending to be Groucho Marx, or some such! But she knew her stuff, and just added to Josh's rapidly receding hairline in S7.

Joe Quincy - Nah! Like  an Ainsley Hayes afterthought. Moreover, I was half-expecting Monica from Friends to enter stage left to tell him off about something. 

Bernard - forgot about him! Yes, I should have included him. A delightful snob, dry and excellent! Loved the way he took pot-shots at CJ for being tall, lol. Have met one or two Bernard-types here in England: they're so stiff and terribly keen not get too close to the riff-raff that they have to deal with on a regular basis.

Edited by Only Zola

Well, I was about to chime in with Nancy McNally ("I'd like to reduce our nuclear arsenal one at a time, if you know what I mean", as well as "Admiral SissyMary over there") and Admiral SissyMary himself ("Have you changed shampoo since yoiur hair seems bouncy and more manageable"), as well as Ron Butterfield as far as fairly regular contributors. As to one off characteers, Lionel Tribbey as at the top of my list-Larroquette just kills it and has so many funny, funny lines (other than the incredibly sexist one).

• Love 1

I seem to be in the minority showing the love for Nancy! Didn't like her at all I am sorry to say; far too shrill and stern. Yes, she could hold her own in her predominantly male-dominated environment, but for all that I could not take her at all seriously!

Didn't like Tribbey either: came over a complete clown! I mean what kind of person wanders round the corridors-of-power wielding a cricket bat around! Or just barges into the Oval Office with no thought of following procedural protocol? (ie checking in with Mrs Landingham first, or even knocking on the door!) Am glad he didn't stick around past 1 episode.

Count me on the Nancy love train, she had me at "Admiral Sissy Mary" lol Also love the Admiral, loved Cliff, loved Danny, wish they'd had more episodes with Mike Casper but I love Clark Gregg so no shock there. I also wish they'd used Joe Quincy more I like Matt Perry serious. I love Debbie I think the president needed a different personality but someone who was still caring a la her bursting in from the card game after the WH was shot at and whispering in his ear that she'd need to take his BP later, and someone who would also challenge him. I think she handled Walken well also. Speaking of I like John Goodman as Walken. Ed & Larry go without saying. I also loved Jason Isaacs as the photographer in Gaza, but I love JI so that might just be that lol. Ron Butterfield I liked. Gina got on my nerves and I don't know why but I liked the other agents. I think Terry O Quinn did a good job as the general who replaced Admiral Sissy Mary as head of the joint chiefs. Um and at this point I think I'd better stop, though I'll likely be back as I continue rewatching again and again and again :)

13 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Never liked Debbie, or Annabeth. Debbie, was just the total opposite to Delores - just breezing into the Oval Office and showing the president little or no respect in terms of conversational manners. I can't quite point my finger on exactly what it was that really grated with me, but she was definitely no Mrs Landingham!

As for Annabeth-  I could never get over the fact she was the deputy press sec that never did formal press briefings behind a rostrum, leaving it to Toby or Will (neither of which I found to be particularly funny and/or realistic)

I liked Amy only in the context that she could give Josh a taste of his own spiteful, arrogant medicine. She was like a Mandy Lite, with a slightly more rounded character, but still far from perfect, and I put that down to Mary Louise Parker overstating the role to the point of squeezing the life-force out of it!

That said, she was most definitely one of the most attractive players in the show - her red dress-reveal, was particularly welcomed!

Lou was like a cross between Amy, Joey, Donna and a splash of Mandy on top! But her painted-on eyebrows and shoulder tatts, were far too distracting! I was half expecting to come on with a cigar and a painted moustache pretending to be Groucho Marx, or some such! But she knew her stuff, and just added to Josh's rapidly receding hairline in S7.

Joe Quincy - Nah! Like  an Ainsley Hayes afterthought. Moreover, I was half-expecting Monica from Friends to enter stage left to tell him off about something. 

Bernard - forgot about him! Yes, I should have included him. A delightful snob, dry and excellent! Loved the way he took pot-shots at CJ for being tall, lol. Have met one or two Bernard-types here in England: they're so stiff and terribly keen not get too close to the riff-raff that they have to deal with on a regular basis.

To explain why I liked some of these characters. I think the success in Debbie for me here. Mrs. Landingham was incredibly irreverent and spoke truth to power all of the time with Jed. Mrs. Landingham got more carte blanche because she knew Jed as a boy on up so her irreverence read as motherly chiding. I know that *I* would have automatically really down-graded Jed's next secretary if it was just the typical professional relationship that President would have an assistant that he recruited "off the street". As a viewer, I used to that kind of sarcasm. Jed already had more deferential, respectful relationship with Charlie. I think it worked that they made Debbie such a universal oddball with her alpaca farming and drugs and card-sharking that she has no filter with anyone, including the President. And that ultimately, Jed would reach for that after he lost it in Mrs. Landingham because Jed could also use a bossy assistant with the chutzpah to place his calls as his MS progressed or to muscle in to suggest he take his blood pressure after the White House was taken. And Lily Tomlin really played it well. 

Actually, Annabeth was already on the Santos campaign by the time Will was giving briefings. I think Annabeth's advice that it was dangerous to put a fresh up there just after CJ left the lectern was sound. It's certainly a plus, but a spokesperson doesn't *have* to have the most sparkly, witty, charming personality. The most important thing is that spokesperson is well-informed and disciplined about the White House's message and be trusted as credibly conveying information by all parties. Toby has all of those advantages in spades. So, from what I recall, other than early clunkers like "CJ's going to Ramallah to swat at suicide bombers at her purse", Toby was fine. In that instance, Toby actually sunk himself by trying to be CJ Cregg even though he's not that kind of performer-personality. In all likelihood, Annabeth was a little extraneous in the White House. But with Sam/Will gone and CJ in the policy shop, Annabeth was good to fill up the communications office.

I think Amy is just a divisive "you love her or you don't" personality. And a lot of that is because Mary Louise Parker's acting is divisive. I happen to love it. I did like Amy for giving Josh a taste of his ruthless medicine. But I also liked Amy as a person even though she was ruthless and obnoxious- much like how I felt about Josh. I thought it was interested that Amy was fanatical about her cause (feminism) as many of the players were fanatical about a Great Leader who they trusted to enact all of their causes. 

I may have overstated my Joe Quincy love. The remarkable thing about him is how he ended up taking down the Vice President and presumptive Democratic nominee in 4 years in his first day. With some really exciting sleuthing. And even the sleuthing and plot couldn't be more exciting as it was leading up to the Mother Of All Cliff-Hangers, Mathew Perry played it very subtly and quietly in contrast to his Chandler Bing persona...which he was still playing BIG on the same damn network. It really felt like a novel display of range back in 2003. Even at the start of the ep, Perry was gamely straight playing uber-straight man to, like, CJ's screwball "You've been punked!" shenanigans. It was pretty damn cool. When Joe returned in on episode in S5 just to be a Republican attorney, the magic completely disappeared. He was just another white guy playing a lawyer on TV. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1

@Melancholy. You have certainly opened my eyes/and mind, to your detailed & supportive explanations of the characters I really didn't have much time for!

You make many salient points, especially for Debbie: and when I think about it more, you're absolutely correct with her and how she interacts with the president, taking a more direct approach compared to the perceived "nannyism" twixt Mrs Landingham & Jed - which was perfectly embellished in "Two Cathedrals"

That said, I still didn't like  Debbie "whack job" Fiderer!

As for Amy - she reminds me of myself during my time at university not so long ago: outspoken, belligerent, combative and stubborn on certain issues I felt quite strongly about (and still do, although perhaps I have "calmed down" since those heady days, lol) As a consequence, whenever I watch Amy I have a personal guilt-trip because I sometimes see myself in her, and the sudden realisation of "OMG, I really don't like you, and nor do a lot of people. So what does that say about me?"

So yes, I think my dislike for Amy is one of personal/awkward reverence, in all honesty. I only really liked her when she was going head-to-head with Josh (although I must say that I was shouting some rather rude words at the TV when she dropped his mobile phone into the bubbling stew, and cut the cord to the landline phone Josh was talking on! )

And don't get me started on her really DIRTY bare feet in the very same episode ("We Killed Yamamoto" I think). 

But at least she wasn't Mandy, ha!

Rant over :)

• Love 1

Thank you! Fair enough on these characters. I agree that Amy particularly shone when she was going toe to toe with Josh. However, those were the majority of her scenes. She had some interesting interactions with non-Josh characters but they never went anywhere and they were partly interesting because Amy was shown in a negative light. Like, I enjoyed Santos having no time for Amy being AGGRESSIVELY coy in Reqium and just put it directly as, "You want to actually work in government or just critique from the peanut gallery. Think about it. It's what the group-ups do." That was interesting scene, actively critiquing Amy. I also empathized with Amy coming to Donna in a passive aggressive place about being judgey of how Amy cynically reacted to news in Commencement and then, just getting drunker and drunker and coming out with the question of whether Donna is in love with Josh. I thought a very interesting moral question was brought up between Amy and Bartlet in Constituency of One. How much is it fair for a COS to assume she was given a wide berth to work on policy while her First Lady boss (the one sort of chosen by the American people in a sense) is away because of personal trauma? How much was Jed protecting his wife's right to approve things and how much was Jed passive-AGGRESSIVELY shutting down the First Lady's office because he's sore that Abbey isn't there in the White House being a wife to HIM? It was a great scene- I wish more was made of it. Her scenes on the CA 47th campaign were dull. 

ETA: Ooh, I enjoyed her one on one debate prep session with Santos on the presidential voice. And the whole storyline about her giving notes and advice to every Democratic candidate.

Edited by Melancholy
4 hours ago, Melancholy said:

ETA: Ooh, I enjoyed her one on one debate prep session with Santos on the presidential voice. And the whole storyline about her giving notes and advice to every Democratic candidate.

Ah, the "Presidential Voice". I recall that episode - "Freedonia". And I particularly loved the scene between Josh and Santos after Josh had fired Amy. Josh really put the fire under Santos when he said "Here's what Amy won't tell you about the presidential voice: you have to become President to use it!"

But then it was equally fun watching Amy wrap tape around Josh so that he won't go calling journalists about Santos' one-off tv commercial. And Josh just sits there and takes it!

I hate Amy.  I'd rather have Mandy.

I didn't see her mentioned, but one of my favorite supporting characters is Carol.

21 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I may have overstated my Joe Quincy love. The remarkable thing about him is how he ended up taking down the Vice President and presumptive Democratic nominee in 4 years in his first day. With some really exciting sleuthing. And even the sleuthing and plot couldn't be more exciting as it was leading up to the Mother Of All Cliff-Hangers, Mathew Perry played it very subtly and quietly in contrast to his Chandler Bing persona...which he was still playing BIG on the same damn network. It really felt like a novel display of range back in 2003. Even at the start of the ep, Perry was gamely straight playing uber-straight man to, like, CJ's screwball "You've been punked!" shenanigans. It was pretty damn cool. When Joe returned in on episode in S5 just to be a Republican attorney, the magic completely disappeared. He was just another white guy playing a lawyer on TV. 

I'm working my way slowly through season five and I love the episode where Toby sends Joe to get the Chief Justice to see the president. I love his interaction with the man and with Toby. I think he really is more than just another white guy playing a lawyer. 

Lord John Marbury - How could I forget "Gerald's" best friend, lol!

An eccentric and completely over-the-top caricature of a British peer and ambassador. Couldn't quite believe in the character when he first introduced himself to the President in the Oval Office - suspiciously drunk, unshaven, untidy and a smoker to boot! Not the sort of protocols one would expect when in attendance with the leader of the free world. But I let that side-issue go. 

What I did find charming about Marbury is his dry humour and objective observations about how the US was dealing with keeping the global peace. And he really came into his own during "Dead Irish Writers" and discussing at length the "Irish Problem" with Toby.

But I will always love him for his wonderful put-down to Leo and his "I thought you were the butler!"; and then later in the episode goes on and impresses everyone in the Oval Office by quoting an extract from the Book of Revelations - an extract that not even Bartlet could recall :-

“And I looked, and I beheld a pale horse, and the name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.”

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Only Zola said:

But I will always love him for his wonderful put-down to Leo and his "I thought you were the butler!"

What I really loved about the two of them was from He Shall, from Time to Time where Leo holds the press conference to announce he is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict.  Later in the episode, before Marbury leaves for India and Pakistan, he wishes Leo well in a heartfelt way, showing the mutual respect they really have for one another.

I also loved Lord John Marbury for the same reasons! 

MARBURY: Gerald!

LEO: Oh, God.

MARBURY [enters]: Gerald! Old friend!

LEO: (fake) Good to see you, ambassador.  

MARBURY: It's as if the gods themselves insist we be not long apart, you and I.

LEO: (dryly) They do seem to strongly insist upon that, yes.

I loved that Marbury's personality was so Big and Fanciful and Such a Drunken Noble Englishman Stereotype but it's belied by how his politics were very realistic. Once the show got down to brass tacks of debating foreign policy, Marbury was a stone cold realist, first and foremost doing his job to advance the British agenda as his country's representative. He was a social dilettante but not professionally at all. 

MARBURY: You've been paying the world off since the industrial age. Foreign aid, during the Cold War was you paying dictators to be on your side. To this very day, you pay Korea not to develop nuclear weapons.

BARTLET: What does India want?

MARBURY: A computer industry, and for that, they require an infrastructure, and that is what you can give them.

LEO: Why?

MARBURY: It's the price you pay.

LEO: For avoiding a war halfway around the world?

MARBURY: For being rich, free and alive all at the same time, and for the criminally negligent behavior of your Congress in not checking the proliferation of nuclear devices.

• Love 1
(edited)

.... and how could we not forget his wonderful appreciation of Abbey's "magnificent breasts!"

MARBURY - Your breasts are magnificent!

ABBEY - Oh, err, thank you, John.

MARBURY - May I inquire, Mr. President, the first thing that attracted you to Abigail, was it her magnificent breasts?

ABBEY - It was.

BARTLET = You know, John, there are places in the world where it might be considered rude to talk about the physical attributes of another man's wife.

MARBURY - My God! Really?

Clearly Marbury is respected quite highly by Bartlet (and Abbey!), otherwise there would be absolutely no way he would get away with such sexist and discourteous comments!

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 1

Terrific idea for a thread @Only Zola!

I'd like to give a Jersey shout out to sassy Ginger, who was a favorite of mine among the assistants.  Unfortunately, she disappeared from the series somewhere along the way.  I remember that when she returned for a cameo in the series finale, I actually cried out gleefully, "Ginger!" as I was so pleased to see her one last time.  

Only appearing in two episodes but stealing the scenes he was in, was the late David Huddleston as the gun-toting, redneck son of a bitch, Senator Max Lobel, who agreed with the President on nothing but election reform.  

Quoting @Only Zola

Mike Casper - Worked for the FBI and did some work for Bartlet/Josh. A very understated part, but he had a great personality that deserved a few more episodes than the 2 or 3 he actually got. 

His first name is Agent.  (Even then!)  ;)

• Love 2

I loved, loved, loved Fitzwallace and McNally....my favorite scene with Nancy was when she walked into the sit room in a gown and asked for an assistant to get her something because she looked ridiculous.

I am team Amy and agree it's a binary thing (love/hate).  I also loved it when Amy was keeping book on electoral results.

and I occasional quote Ron Buterfield when the local reporter is asking why a person killed someone..."It's the act of madmen, Toby" 

Edited by SingleMaltBlonde
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Terrific idea for a thread @Only Zola!

I'd like to give a Jersey shout out to sassy Ginger, who was a favorite of mine among the assistants.  Unfortunately, she disappeared from the series somewhere along the way.  I remember that when she returned for a cameo in the series finale, I actually cried out gleefully, "Ginger!" as I was so pleased to see her one last time.  

Only appearing in two episodes but stealing the scenes he was in, was the late David Huddleston as the gun-toting, redneck son of a bitch, Senator Max Lobel, who agreed with the President on nothing but election reform.  

His first name is Agent.  (Even then!)  ;)

Never really got into Ginger, although I quite liked her colleague, Bonnie - a slightly more sassy lady whom graced our screens several times up until s5 I think. Great shame she (and Ginger & Carol) didn't get their own little story-arc, or at least a one-off storyline similar (or a direct replacement) to CJ's "Access" episode, but taken from the view point of a "typical day" for the principle assistants! 

And as for "Agent" Casper: I did think he might flirt with Donna during his first couple of episodes, but it never came to anything. And I loved one of his lines, that probably has a ring of truth to it, even to this day:

In 13 years working with the Bureau, I have discovered that there's no amount of money, man-power and knowledge that can equal the person you're looking for being stupid! 

9 hours ago, Only Zola said:

And as for "Agent" Casper: I did think he might flirt with Donna during his first couple of episodes, but it never came to anything.

From Bartlett for America:

MIKE Thanks. Listen, churches are burning down. Otherwise, I'd be hitting on you.

DONNA I appreciate that.

MIKE Sure. Maybe when it's a better time.

Quo Vadimus

• Love 1
(edited)

I also overlooked Jordon Kendall!

I loved her flirtatiousness with Leo; she was easy on the eye, but could certainly hold her own especially when challenged by Leo & Bartlet over international law. And I liked how she gradually grew to appreciate and understand Leo's problem with alcoholism during probably one of the finest episodes in the series - "Bartlet for America". From being initially hostile, impatient and uncaring for her client; to one of warmth, respect and perhaps even a little love after Leo tells her about his drunken behaviour in front of Gibson.

And when she said to Leo "Yes, I will have dinner with you tonight!" I'm sure my eyes filled with tears of joy for him.

But typically, Jordon didn't stick around for long (5 episodes I think), and then she too ended up on the fast-train to MV

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 1

I liked Jordan too. I love that friggin bizarre scene where Leo flirts via "Divorce taught me that you could have some of my stuff...You don't know. Some of it is good stuff", addiction jokes with the potato salad for lunch, and most of all, showing her on the Sit Room screens how a nuclear attack from a hostile nation would play out in her home state of Nebraska. I'm mesmerized at the weirdness. 

Back in the day (2007 to be exact), when Kathleen York (Congresswoman Andrea Wyatt) appeared on NCIS as one of the three ex-wives of Mark Harmon (Agent Simon Donovan), some of us speculated that Alison Janney might be cast to play one of the other two. 

Well, I just found out that it was none other than Melinda McGraw (Jane Braun) who appeared in several episodes as the said ex-wife. 

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 1

I liked Ainsley. My love for her continued on CSI: Miami, although, I did miss her on WW. Mark Harmon as the SS agent (can't place name right now) was awesome. It was great seeing CJ get an almost love interest that wasn't Danny. Plus, he was taller like her and could hold his own with her. I cried when they shot him in the bodega. Poor CJ.  CBS sure grabbed a few of WW minor characters.

Ed and Larry cracked me up all through the series. Still can't tell the difference after multiple viewings.

Elsie Snuffin, Will's half-sister, was cute and good foil to Will. Alas, she didn't make it much past the inauguration.

Charlie Sheen's daughter, Renee was such an understated character, but the line he said to her during the finale about telling her mother hello and he'd see her soon was such a sweet connection. 

• Like 1

I have a working theory at Sally Sasser (Sports Night), John Hoynes (TWW), Jack Rudolph (Studio 60), and Leona Lansing (Newsroom) are all of a similar type. They're the outsiders who still have a procedural role that place them directly in "the house" of the core cast but in a way where they're a competitor. Because of that, the core cast particularly disparaged them. However, it becomes clearer that these "outsiders" have a lot of merit in their own right and they have a great point on the core staff's failings professionally and they actually have their own willingness to cooperate to achieve bigger goals but not at the expense of their own meritorious agenda. Sorkin came to like this type of character more so they essentially grew in importance and screentime chronologically with the shows. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I liked Ainsley. My love for her continued on CSI: Miami, although, I did miss her on WW. Mark Harmon as the SS agent (can't place name right now) was awesome. It was great seeing CJ get an almost love interest that wasn't Danny. Plus, he was taller like her and could hold his own with her. I cried when they shot him in the bodega. Poor CJ.  CBS sure grabbed a few of WW minor characters.

Ed and Larry cracked me up all through the series. Still can't tell the difference after multiple viewings.

Elsie Snuffin, Will's half-sister, was cute and good foil to Will. Alas, she didn't make it much past the inauguration.

Charlie Sheen's daughter, Renee was such an understated character, but the line he said to her during the finale about telling her mother hello and he'd see her soon was such a sweet connection. 

Mark Harmon's ill-fated character was Secret Service Special Agent Simon Donovan, also known as "Special Agent Sunshine".

I follow the actors who played Ed & Larry, among other former TWW cast members, on Twitter. Larry was played by William Duffy; he was the thinner, I think taller, more Caucasian-looking of the 2. Ed was played by Peter James Smith; he was somewhat chubbier than Larry & I think shorter, he had darker hair (looks darker to me, anyway), & looks like he might be part-Asian (I think Peter James Smith has mentioned being Asian/part-Asian in real life on Twitter).

(edited)
53 minutes ago, deaja said:

I loved Ainsley Hayes.  

Cute as a button, but certainly knew how to play Sam on Capital Beat. 

Her iambic pentameter was also strangely beguiling. 

Edited by Zola
typo
6 minutes ago, Zola said:

Cute as a button, but certainly new how to play Sam on Capital Beat. 

Her iambic pentameter was also strangely beguiling. 

She could play Sam in other ways too...

Ainsley: I'm not going to say anything. I'm not going to spill anything. I'm not going to get Republican juice on you. I'm just going to sit there and learn.

Sam: Look...

Ainsley: From the master, Sam, I want to learn from the master.

Sam: See, women think that kind of thing works, but it doesn't.

AInsley: It really does, Sam.

Sam looks at her. They start walking again.

Sam: I let you come to the Hill, you'll summarize my memo?

Ainsley: I'll use punctuation and everything. You might even get extra credit.

....Ainsley gets to go to the Hill. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Zola said:

I liked the way she was always on the look out for food, especially Sam's lunch and other people's muffins!

tumblr_oc9k7rXEww1tiqwkoo10_r1_250.gif

(edited)

I fancy a muffin or a peach right now!

Anyway, it's 8:30pm here in England, gotta start packing suitcases and try finding my passport!

Time to get out of the steam pipe trunk distribution venue for awhile!

Back in November :)

Edited by Zola
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I have a working theory at Sally Sasser (Sports Night), John Hoynes (TWW), Jack Rudolph (Studio 60), and Leona Lansing (Newsroom) are all of a similar type. They're the outsiders who still have a procedural role that place them directly in "the house" of the core cast but in a way where they're a competitor. Because of that, the core cast particularly disparaged them. However, it becomes clearer that these "outsiders" have a lot of merit in their own right and they have a great point on the core staff's failings professionally and they actually have their own willingness to cooperate to achieve bigger goals but not at the expense of their own meritorious agenda. Sorkin came to like this type of character more so they essentially grew in importance and screentime chronologically with the shows. 

Interesting theory, though I haven't seen all of those series. For The Newsroom, I think Reese Lansing fits this slot even more, especially as that series went on -- he wasn't opposed to the news show's new watchdog/op-ed thrust when it wasn't costing the network viewers and goodwill, but he had to be the one to push back when it did.

• Love 1

I liked Amy, but her relationship with Josh was too combative for me to actually root for. I still enjoyed some of their interactions,though.

Other characters I enjoyed were Ainsley Hayes, Nancy McNally, and Simon Donovan.

• Love 1

Golly gosh! I really must get round to watching this show again soon - I am beginning to lose track of some of these support guys and gals! Such fond memories, especially of Margaret and Ainsley!