Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Mr. Edwards' Homecoming

What kind of small town doesn't have a saloon? Especially back in those days. That must be one of the "edits" Michael Landon made to the real story. Also: peppermint is awesome.

• Love 1

I know a guy who grew up in the Tennessee mountains and he talked about horehound candy. He sent a recipe and we made some at work. It's actually not candy, according to him, it's medicine. And it tastes like it. Just as gross as it sounds. They just call it candy.

I look forward to listening to the podcast...in the meantime, I like to look up the ages of actors whom I thought of as playing "old" parts when I was a kid. Victor "Mr. Edwards" French was forty when this episode aired. Forty.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Jeffurry said:

I look forward to listening to the podcast...in the meantime, I like to look up the ages of actors whom I thought of as playing "old" parts when I was a kid. Victor "Mr. Edwards" French was forty when this episode aired. Forty.

Holy crap. Were people just far more grizzled in the 70s? Or are all us Gen X-ers deluding ourselves when we think we look far more youthful?

I cracked up at the "I like to imagine how everyone smells" bit, because I've often done the same thing (especially after a line on Mad Men where they noted that women didn't need deodorant because they can use perfume and reminded me how relatively recent regular deodorant use is). Maybe that's why everyone on The Prairie was constantly scrubbing their necks - if your neck smells like soap, maybe it blocks the smell of everyone's (including your own) prairie funk.

9 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I know a guy who grew up in the Tennessee mountains and he talked about horehound candy. He sent a recipe and we made some at work. It's actually not candy, according to him, it's medicine. And it tastes like it. Just as gross as it sounds. They just call it candy.

My father loves horehound candy. He's from Eastern NC and said his grandmother used to boil the roots for medicine. You can find the candy at Cracker Barrels and gift shops/general stores in the South. 

15 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen horehound candy for sale at Cracker Barrel. Never had the nerve to try it.

I'm going there this weekend, I'll keep an eye out for it!

On 4/20/2017 at 6:42 AM, Lady Iris said:

I'm going there this weekend, I'll keep an eye out for it!

On 4/19/2017 at 3:32 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen horehound candy for sale at Cracker Barrel. Never had the nerve to try it.

Funny, but that stuff grows wild all around my house, and I never even knew what it was until I saw our neighbor picking some one day. He was using it for a stomach ailment, and apparently it was mostly used for medicinal purposes. He couldn’t really tell me what it was, since English isn’t his primary language, but he gave me the Latin name of Marrubium vulgare (He just called it Marrubium).

So I looked it up and figured out what it was. Candy is not a likely product that you would think of being associated with this plant, but when heavily sugared down, it works. Want to say I had some a long time ago and it wasn’t half bad. I’d pick some up for the heck of it and try it if it doesn’t cost too much.

• Love 1

Just saw this one again the other day. Not buying that someone as refined as Grace Snider would ever let a grody dude like Edwards get within a rods length of her, let alone place his hands on her.

Imagine that though. Edwards coming home after a long day at the mill, drenched in perspiration, and wreaking of the many signature scents of Edwards (Tobacco, whiskey, BO) and plopping down a top of ‘Ol Grace, and just going to town on her, in sync to the tune of Old Dan Tucker!

I cracked up at the "I like to imagine how everyone smells" bit, because I've often done the same thing

The best depiction detailing Edwards olfactory delights, came from Albert_Ingalls of IMDB fame.

Thread Title: Who smelled worse?

posted 2 years ago by sjbradford

Mr. Edwards or Bunny the horse?
It's close, but I have to vote for Edwards.

Albert_Ingalls 2 years ago

Edwards smelled like a mix of sweat, whiskey, prostitutes, Charles tears, tobacco, rotted meat, shame, lemon verbena, coffee and small pox. The horse only smelled like horse crap. Edwards for the win.

?

https://moviechat.org/tt0071007/Little-House-on-the-Prairie/58c72f3e5ec57f0478f5565c/Who-smelled-worse

• Love 2