Type keyword(s) to search

The Novel: Cyberpunk Sci-fi Spoilers

I have a World building question I thought would be good to be asked here. If everyone gets a stack implanted at 1yr old, and people get re-sleeved when the biological body aka sleeve wears out or gets injured WHERE do the “extra” bodies to resleeve come from (besides prisoners who’ve been shelved as punishment for a crime)? It seems that you’d need a lot of extra “blank” bodies not just the clones the rich can afford. Do people resleeve as infants and live life again or is it generally “adult to adult”? Thank you. 

21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have a World building question I thought would be good to be asked here. If everyone gets a stack implanted at 1yr old, and people get re-sleeved when the biological body aka sleeve wears out or gets injured WHERE do the “extra” bodies to resleeve come from (besides prisoners who’ve been shelved as punishment for a crime)? It seems that you’d need a lot of extra “blank” bodies not just the clones the rich can afford. Do people resleeve as infants and live life again or is it generally “adult to adult”? Thank you. 

Books never actually explain this sleeve supply and demand issue but they don't really go deep into minutia. There are however mentioned companies who design and manufacture custom sleeves for sports, combat and recreation. The manufacturing capacities seem insufficient for the demand or costs too high as they seem to throw away bodies left and right on one hand and poor people are having difficulties obtaining replacement bodies.

I'm not a big fan of this whole dummy down reinterpretation.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Raachel2008 said:

Books >>> series, and I don’t say it lightly.

Sad but it is like they scraped off at least three layers of complexity. And that is not a good thing. Looks are not everything...

Edited by Igorpudak

It seems really shortsighted to erase Kovacs' history as a government agent, because the fact he rejected that role in favour of joining Quellcrist Falconer says a lot about the sort of idealism he once had, and has seemingly been beaten out of him (although, perhaps not, if you get to Woken Furies). The explanation offered here as to why Envoys are no longer government operatives doesn't really hold water. It doesn't take that much for a viewer to understand Kovacs was an elite soldier, turned on his masters and was punished for it.

I confess I'm struggling a little with this show, and I don't know whether it's because they've struggled to adapt the book, or my tastes have changed in the years since I last read the book. I'm a little bummed about it. The show is... okay. And I really wanted more than that.

He's still a former government agent in the show before joining up with Quell. But I never really thought I saw that much idealism in the show's Kovacs. The guy in the show cares about family; I don't think he has political opinions.

I just recently read the book for a book club and then binged the whole show.  Here's a sentence I never thought I'd say/type/whatever...I like the show better than the book.

I also just finished the book. I did like it but thought they did a great job adapting it to the show. I was disappointed the character of Poe was not in the book, but I liked that the big bad wasn't Kovacs' sister, and that they didn't have a human copy machine.

I will be reading the sequels.