Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E20: The Recollection Dissipation

On 4/7/2017 at 7:08 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know people can change their minds, but the Bernadette story seemed inconsistent with everything we have seen up to now.  She first didn't wanted kids, then she was unsure while pregnant how good of a mother she would be, lately its been a whole lot about how hard it is as a new mom and now she isn't sure she wants to go back to work?  I just find it hard to believe.  Everyone forms an attachment to their children, I know, and I am not saying she shouldn't miss her daughter when going back to work.  Anyone would.  But I do wish they would have done more than the cliché overdone sitcom storyline they ended up with here though. 

On 4/7/2017 at 0:25 PM, Traveller519 said:

also disappointed with Bernadette's reluctance to go back to work. She's always been so career focused, I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue for her. Not to mention, I'm surprised she hasn't bullied her workplace into an in-house daycare.

I think Bernadette's conflict is very true to life.  I was extremely career focused before I had my daughter.  I had four months off with her, she had colic the entire time, and I was definitely ready to return to work to just have some quiet time.  However, as the day to return to work got closer, I became more emotional about leaving her.  I bawled just like my daughter the first day I left her at daycare, called several times, and left the office early to go pick her up.  I was shocked at how hard it was for me to leave her, even though I was extremely happy to go back to work to interact with adults and do my job.  Eventually we settled into a routine and now I'm happily at work and she's 4 doing great in pre-K.  

• Love 8
On 4/10/2017 at 9:28 AM, BlossomCulp said:

The way it was presented in the episode  I am referencing though they made it sound like the only option possible should Howard and Bernadette have children is that Howard would have to stay home and that Bernadette would barely take an interest in them, seeing as how she hates kids and all.

Does this ever get mentioned in the pregnancy and post birth episodes?  I mean the idea that Bernadette hated children and never wanted them?  I know they dealt with her feelings about being pregnant and not being 100 % thrilled by it, which I liked, but I don't really recall any other time when she and Howard, even jokingly reference her earlier expressed hatred of children.  Did the writers just not want to go there I wonder.

Whether or not Sheldon learned line dancing in gym class, I think it was the fact he was all loopy on cold meds that made him both want to do it and look pretty fluid (rather than robotic and klutzy) while doing it.  I had no problem believing he picked it up right there in the bar, which is where my mind went, though I do understand it's prevalent in Texas!  

On April 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM, LaChavalina said:

My problem with the Bernadette storyline is that is doesn't seem true to character that she would consider not going back to work at all. I don't see why she couldn't consider a middle ground, like telecommuting one day a week, doing a flex schedule, cutting back her hours, or . . .

For the women with babies where I work, a big issue is that if you want reliable, certified daycare, you have to commit to full time and pay it upfront with no refunds for days you when you stay home with them. Of course Bernadette has Stuart and a generous, dual income household.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2017 at 10:58 AM, LaChavalina said:

My problem with the Bernadette storyline is that is doesn't seem true to character that she would consider not going back to work at all. I don't see why she couldn't consider a middle ground, like telecommuting one day a week, doing a flex schedule, cutting back her hours, or looking for a new job entirely if her current employer couldn't meet those requests. Honestly, I'd see the character of Bernadette leaving her job and becoming some kind of independent consultant before she'd give up work entirely. Maybe they will ultimately go in that direction-- I guess it's a lot of story to cram into a 19-minute episode.

But most of Bernie's work takes place in a lab. She a researcher and developer in the biochem field. I don't think she can do that on a flex schedule or telecommuting. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

For the women with babies where I work, a big issue is that if you want reliable, certified daycare, you have to commit to full time and pay it upfront with no refunds for days you when you stay home with them.

Yep, my niece is a teacher at a community college and has daycare through her place of work.  It's awesome daycare but the big catch is she has to keep her daughter there even when she's not working which can be for anywhere from 2 to 4 months of the year depending on if she is teaching any courses in the summer session.  If she takes her out she loses her place.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2017 at 1:38 PM, Jobiska said:

Whether or not Sheldon learned line dancing in gym class, I think it was the fact he was all loopy on cold meds that made him both want to do it and look pretty fluid (rather than robotic and klutzy) while doing it.  I had no problem believing he picked it up right there in the bar, which is where my mind went, though I do understand it's prevalent in Texas!  

Actually, we know that Sheldon went "square-dancing with my sister at a Teens for Jesus Fourth of July Hoedown" at least once in his younger years so maybe he learned some line dancing there?

That was from Sheldon and Amy's  first date episode.

• Love 2

Late to the party, but I loved Amy singing "Soft Kitty" in multiple languages.  Part of me was a little bummed that it's no longer just Penny & Sheldon's thing, but making it multi-lingual put a great spin on it.  And the German for "purr purr purr" is one of the best noises I've ever heard...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Indy said:

Late to the party, but I loved Amy singing "Soft Kitty" in multiple languages.  Part of me was a little bummed that it's no longer just Penny & Sheldon's thing, but making it multi-lingual put a great spin on it. 

Well, to be honest, it's never been just Penny and Sheldon's thing.  Sheldon liked it because his mother used to sing it to him, and his mother did sing it to him on the show once when he was sick (although oddly enough, she didn't do a very good job of it - didn't quite have the melody right).  Seems perfectly logical for Sheldon to have Amy do it for him now.  But I agree Penny and Sheldon have good chemistry together. 

• Love 1
On 4/25/2017 at 1:55 PM, Indy said:

Late to the party, but I loved Amy singing "Soft Kitty" in multiple languages.  Part of me was a little bummed that it's no longer just Penny & Sheldon's thing, but making it multi-lingual put a great spin on it.  And the German for "purr purr purr" is one of the best noises I've ever heard...

I loved that part too. I hope it was correctly translated. I remember a story, or essay way way back in grade school called "How to Bark Abroad," about how different country's languages spell animal sounds.

• Love 3