Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Good Morning Bitches

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that some reality shows depend on pushing the contestants in the hopes of drama but I think physical challenges like the cheerleading one are unnecessarily dangerous. There is no reason to make them stunt like that, especially since most of them have no previous training which makes safety an issue. If Ru wants to give them crazy deadlines to glue gun the shit out of something, I can live with that. But forcing them to learn that long cheer routine with multiple stunts is too much IMO because there's too much risk for injury. Even if there was more wiggle room in the schedule to allow for medical treatment, I'm still not really comfortable with challenges like that. Push them mentally but don't endanger them. 

This. Hell, the cheerleading challenge (like the wrestling challenge) wasn't even particularly entertaining. And they're not a good way to sort the talented ones from the untalented ones. It feels like they do these kinds of things solely to get some frightened/horrified reaction shots from the queens. And it just isn't worth it.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that some reality shows depend on pushing the contestants in the hopes of drama but I think physical challenges like the cheerleading one are unnecessarily dangerous. There is no reason to make them stunt like that, especially since most of them have no previous training which makes safety an issue. If Ru wants to give them crazy deadlines to glue gun the shit out of something, I can live with that. But forcing them to learn that long cheer routine with multiple stunts is too much IMO because there's too much risk for injury. Even if there was more wiggle room in the schedule to allow for medical treatment, I'm still not really comfortable with challenges like that. Push them mentally but don't endanger them. 

Yep, I couldn't agree more. And while there was an element of performance to it, it didn't seem like it involved too much actual creativity on the part of contestants. I wish they'd go back to more creative challenges--sure telling the contestants all the runway themes in advance produces glamorous looks but it just rewards the ones with money who can bring expensive outfits.

• Love 1

Ru and the judges, especially Ru, look like they are really having a good time.  I really like the judge banter this season. 

I really like Nina and she is one of my frontrunners but I hope she doesn’t rely too much on the provocativeness of the breast plate.  I am ok with using a breast plate to fill out a look but to me having them just out with tape covering the “nips” is just lazy drag.  I think she is way more creative than that and dumbing down her drag to a sexualized stereotype, I think she is better than that.  I get it that it is a character she is channeling – THOT realness, but I want her to elevate her drag.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

Ru and the judges, especially Ru, look like they are really having a good time.  I really like the judge banter this season. 

I really like Nina and she is one of my frontrunners but I hope she doesn’t rely too much on the provocativeness of the breast plate.  I am ok with using a breast plate to fill out a look but to me having them just out with tape covering the “nips” is just lazy drag.  I think she is way more creative than that and dumbing down her drag to a sexualized stereotype, I think she is better than that.  I get it that it is a character she is channeling – THOT realness, but I want her to elevate her drag.   

I was okay with the hypersexuality of ninas look in contrast to her scary day of the dead face.  Which was beautiful.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2017 at 0:05 AM, RealReality said:

Wow, Charlie Hides may lay claim to the worst lip sync performance in the history of the show.  At the very least, a bottom 5 performance.  

Honestly, if this is the energy Charlie brings when singing live than I wouldn't waste my time on a ticket to her show.  I would just buy the CD.

You know that at some point you're going to have to LSFYL, even if you go all the way to the end, you know you'll have to LSFYL against two other girls.  So why the hell come on this show if you can't do it?

I get that Charlie is older, and that she wasn't going to bring the energy to a Britney Spears song...I get it....but she shouldn't have just laid down and died like that.  That was just sad, and if nothing else it basically does the disservice of showing that older queens can't keep up with LSFYL's....and I don't think thats true.

As for the challenge, I really enjoyed both DIY segments.  And Aja can quit talking shit about anyone else, because the rest of her team carried her on the challenge.

Nina Bonina Brown was my favorite tonight for everything.  

I have tickets to one of her shows tomorrow night, so I will report back! My friends and I bought tickets before the most recent episode, so now we are kind of disappointed in advance. I hope she's entertaining and I'm wrong!

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Halo said:

I have tickets to one of her shows tomorrow night, so I will report back! My friends and I bought tickets before the most recent episode, so now we are kind of disappointed in advance. I hope she's entertaining and I'm wrong!

me too, please report back!!

I finally was able to see the last episode.  I had read about the weak lip sync from Charlie.  Wow.  It was even worse because her competition stepped it up.  Even the queens were yelling for her to do more! Reminded me of the scene in Gypsy where Mama Rose yells out do something, dip, just dip!!

Ok, so Charlie says she was hurt, but she was just about damned near stonefaced.  She could still have learned the song and emoted.  If it were a cracked rib they could've taped it for her, which unless it was heavily packed, I doubt it would interfere with her costumes.  Even so, they should all be adaptable.  What if she'd been in a fender bender before a big show?  Would she just half assed call it in or cancel?  I've seen singers on Broadway who were fighting a cold or allergy, but hit their marks and made it work.

And when they get down to the final 4, isn't there typically a lip synch with everyone to determine or help determine the final 3?  So Charlie was going to go all that way and just say well I sing live, I don't lip sync, so I guess it's only to the top 4 for me?  Did she ever watch the show?  I mean I know she's from or lives in the UK but it's online.  If you're going on the show, I can't believe you wouldn't watch prior seasons and take notes (not to over analyze but to get an idea of what is expected - like what I think Valentina has done).  I sing and honestly I would think that would help with lip syncing; you could actually sinsoftly (if no mic, which I don't think there is for the lip sync?) 

While Charlie might do a good Joan Rivers, part of Snatch Game is being able to ad lib and react to Ru and the other queens.  I didn't see anything in Charlie's personality that indicated she was good with ad libbing - she clearly likes it very cut & dried.  She clung to her cards in the challenge like it was the last lifeboat from the Titanic, freaked when she thought they'd gone over - and hopped in and added more confusion.

Nina needs to get tougher.  The pageant queens can stop their bickering.  Aja needs to worry about herself and not how anyone else is doing.  Be yourself, do your absolute best, go with the flow, stop whining, and the rest will fall into place.

So far there is no clear front runner for me, although we're still getting rid of the weak links.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2017 at 0:18 PM, Halo said:

So, the show was pretty good! Charlie was much more funny and animated than on RPDR, and now that I've seen her live, I think she would have done a good job on Snatch Game and other challenges if she hadn't had to LSFYL with the broken rib. She certainly had no problem running around the stage and dancing in those giant-ass shoes the other night! She doesn't claim to be a great dancer and said she doesn't do stunts like death drops, but told us she was in a ton of pain and her narcotic pain meds had worn off because they'd been filming (and standing) for so long by the time the lip sync happened. I buy it, especially after listening to the most recent What's the Tee podcast, in which Michelle and Ru talk about the early episodes taking 9 hours to film because there are so many girls (it was a general convo, not specific to Charlie). 

Basically, the show was a couple of songs with jokes and talking in between, then a she did a little bit where she talked about what she would have done for SG and did some pretty great impressions of Joan Rivers and then Marge Simpson, which could have been super funny. She obviously had prepared materials (and she talked about having done a lot of stand up comedy), but she was able to ad-lib pretty well based on audience reactions. She showed a montage of her clips from Drag Race while she ran off for a costume change, then came back to do Q&A, then a couple more songs. It was a solid show, especially as I paid $4.50 for a ticket because it was a university student organization-sponsored event. It was a little weird to see a drag show in a campus auditorium rather than a bar/club where the queens interact a lot more with audience members, get tips, get drinks, etc. That was new on me and my friends, but most of the students had never been to a drag show before, and they loved it!

I also forgot a lengthy Cher bit where she sang Burlesque, but kept getting interrupted by phone calls from various celebrities. Pretty funny.

19 minutes ago, Halo said:

So, the show was pretty good! Charlie was much more funny and animated than on RPDR, and now that I've seen her live, I think she would have done a good job on Snatch Game and other challenges if she hadn't had to LSFYL with the broken rib. She certainly had no problem running around the stage and dancing in those giant-ass shoes the other night! She doesn't claim to be a great dancer and said she doesn't do stunts like death drops, but told us she was in a ton of pain and her narcotic pain meds had worn off because they'd been filming (and standing) for so long by the time the lip sync happened. I buy it, especially after listening to the most recent What's the Tee podcast, in which Michelle and Ru talk about the early episodes taking 9 hours to film because there are so many girls (it was a general convo, not specific to Charlie). 

Basically, the show was a couple of songs with jokes and talking in between, then a she did a little bit where she talked about what she would have done for SG and did some pretty great impressions of Joan Rivers and then Marge Simpson, which could have been super funny. She obviously had prepared materials (and she talked about having done a lot of stand up comedy), but she was able to ad-lib pretty well based on audience reactions. She showed a montage of her clips from Drag Race while she ran off for a costume change, then came back to do Q&A, then a couple more songs. It was a solid show, especially as I paid $4.50 for a ticket because it was a university student organization-sponsored event. It was a little weird to see a drag show in a campus auditorium rather than a bar/club where the queens interact a lot more with audience members, get tips, get drinks, etc. That was new on me and my friends, but most of the students had never been to a drag show before, and they loved it!

I also forgot a lengthy Cher bit where she sang Burlesque, but kept getting interrupted by phone calls from various celebrities. Pretty funny.

If Charile's broken rib/pain med situation was what was holding her back from lip syncing the show, it's unfortunate that she gave them the "I'm a singer, not a lip syncer" sound bite to use. I'm not surprised they chose not to mention her injury on the show. (If they're willing to ignore the contestants' injuries in order to keep shooting, it makes sense that they'll refuse to mention anything about them on the air.)

12 hours ago, MaryWebGirl said:

Whoa, Marge Simpson would be freaking brilliant for SG if you could get the voice right.

Charlie did a good Marge voice. I wanted more!

holy moly. I know the portuguese close captioning makes it look janky, but quality issues aside, these are amazing extra scenes. It feels like how the show is supposed to be.

Imagine if these extra scenes had just been in the show? It'd be like the original version of the show. (by that, I mean, how the show was before this season started and things were all *different* and *off*)

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 2