Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Seth & Olive

Vyk
  • Start Topic

Already better than Andre & Damon.  They work together well, don't fight, and just get their tasks done.

Surprised to learn that Seth is gay, though.  He did not come off like that.

9 hours ago, Vyk said:

He did not come off like that.

Like all humans gay people act all different types of ways.

They seem competent with little drama so they are my favorite team at this point.

• Love 9
(edited)

To me, she looks like what it would be like if Courtney Yates from Survivor were buff.

This team is my favorite to win so far, mostly because they seem drama-free and capable.

Edited by MercuryFive
  • Love 4

I wonder if Seth purposely chose a female partner so he wouldn't risk choosing a guy that would get all homophobic/defensive the first time they were in tight quarters, or an alpha straight guy who wouldn't want to defer to a gay guy.  Olive was a great choice - really fit, drama free, etc. - but I wonder if Seth came into the game preferring a female partner if he had a choice. 

Regardless, great team, and I don't think I would tire of them leading the pack consistently through this race 'til the end. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MercuryFive said:

To me, she looks like what it would be like if Courtney Yates from Survivor were buff.

Since Courtney is nothing but flesh-colored bones, I have difficulty picturing this.

• Love 1
(edited)

They were cool this leg (they obviously got the least lost getting to Miraflores and then to the rain forest canopy detour area).

But I got an underlying vibe that it wouldn't take much (like one more 1st place finish or so) for them to be a non-married, version of the Dentists from a few seasons back. We're unstoppable and therefore we are entitled to a victory because we are so unstoppable....

That'll get annoying in a hurry, so here's to hoping they have to deal w/ unavoidable Race Luck or their own mistakes in the next few weeks. To keep them humble and in check lol.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
(edited)
41 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I wonder if Seth purposely chose a female partner so he wouldn't risk choosing a guy that would get all homophobic/defensive the first time they were in tight quarters, or an alpha straight guy who wouldn't want to defer to a gay guy.  Olive was a great choice - really fit, drama free, etc. - but I wonder if Seth came into the game preferring a female partner if he had a choice. 

Huh??? Almost all the teams are opposite sex.  The strategy is to pair up with someone who will balance you in the race.  It has nothing to do with bigoted stereotyping based on sexual identity.  And Olive just happen to be the top female finisher in that first competition.

Edited by escape

They're obviously very capable. I wonder how they'll do if something goes awry, since they're both alpha types. If they're able to collaborate instead of getting bossy, they could easily run away with this.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2017 at 10:20 PM, chaifan said:

Regardless, great team, and I don't think I would tire of them leading the pack consistently through this race 'til the end. 

I thought he might have considered that sometimes there are tasks where it helps tomhave a woman involved. Not often, but it can happen.

• Love 1

I don't see how choosing a female partner out of concern about the possible ramifications of being paired with a homophobic (or even just gay clueless) male can fairly be described as "bigoted stereotyping based on sexual identity" (if that's what happened).  Yes, both men and women can be bigoted and/or clueless about gay people.  But a homophobic woman or a gay-clueless woman isn't likely going to get uncomfortable or cause a scene if she ends up crammed in a tiny car with a gay dude who has to put his arm around her for them to both fit, or if--as sometimes happens on this show--the team has to share a changing area or sleep in a tent together.  I think that the fact that Seth went out of his way to mention that he was glad to hear that Olive had a gay roommate suggests he may have had some concern about being paired with someone who might not be as open to his sexual identity or perhaps just not as familiar with it.

Frankly, assuming that a random unknown woman will automatically "balance" a man seems far closer to bigoted stereotyping.  Olive's a firefighter.  There's nothing we know about her that suggests her skill set would be significantly different from that of any one of the many male soldiers/policemen/firemen we seem to have on this show.

• Love 1

Still moving along perfectly calmly, doing their tasks and getting along well.  Seems like their only mistake was Seth having to take two attempts at the Roadblock.

But other than that, another strong, solid performance.

On a side note, though, who the fuck names their daughter Olive nowadays?  It was fairly common back in the early twentieth century, but it sure isn't now.

Ugh.  Just . . . ugh.

It's almost always hard to see such a strong team who got off to such a strong start get the chop so soon.  But some of it was on them.  Obviously, they were U-Turned by Tara & Joey, and that certainly wasn't their fault.  What was their fault was struggling for as long as they did at the Weave It Detour after a hugely strong performance at the Build It Detour.  I can't believe they bled that much time trying to get the technique.  Then, Olive has an unexplained struggle at the Roadblock, and they lose all of their money and have to hoof it to the Pit Stop, which is probably the final nail in their coffin.

Again, it sucks that they had to get the boot so soon, but this was partly earned on their part, and partly something to put on another team for U-Turning them, as smart as it was.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Vyk said:

What was their fault was struggling for as long as they did at the Weave It Detour after a hugely strong performance at the Build It Detour.  I can't believe they bled that much time trying to get the technique

To be fair, even artist London couldn't get the technique down right away, which is why they switched. It did seem like a task where, if you didn't get the technique down right away, it would be difficult to complete the task. 

• Love 1

OMG, I was sitting at a light in Bellevue,  WA today there was all this construction and police officers directing traffic. 

Lo and behold Seth was standing next to my car!

I kept thinking he looked familiar, and realized who he was when it was my turn to go.

When I went through the intersection again, 30 minutes later, he was gone.

• Love 6

It was a good idea for Tara and Joey to U-turn them, since they were obviously a strong team. But the fact that they were such a competent team makes it a shame that they didn't last longer—especially while Shamir is still in the game.

• Love 3