Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: Misery

Jess avoids her feelings for Nick by taking care of her dad in Portland. While attending a work party with Reagan, Nick panics that they really don't know each other. Meanwhile, Aly prepares to meet Winston's mom for the first time, as Winston admits he hasn't told her they are cops.

14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Jess avoids her feelings for Nick by taking care of her dad in Portland. While attending a work party with Reagan, Nick panics that they really don't know each other. Meanwhile, Aly prepares to meet Winston's mom for the first time, as Winston admits he hasn't told her they are cops.

Is Jess on Spring Break? How is new Principal Jess taking time off? 

• Love 2

I'm going to handwave that it's spring break because otherwise Jess taking time off while in a new job doesn't make any sense. I think it's pretty believeable that she'd go home to hide. It's not like she can avoid Nick and Regan otherwise since they live in the same apartment. She's been carrying these feelings for Nick all year and she knows she needs to get away but she also doesn't want to break away completely like she should. The actual Misery spoof was well done. When Rob Reiner woke up and Jess was just sitting there all creepy, I laughed so hard.

As it is, we've clearly moved to full-out Nick/Jess endgame now. Nick and Regan are falling apart. Nick has matured enough relationship-wise to want a partner and not just someone cool for hangouts and sex. He's still a mess, but a mess who wants to change and wants more. He owns the bar, can take care of the expense report, (no more shoe box in the closet) fulfilled his dream of writing a book and wants a real connection with someone talking about life and problems. All of his issues from the first Nick/Jess go around have been solved or at the very least are things he is working on improving.

Winston and Aly's plot was easily the best thing! I think Winston and Aly have been such a great couple and the way they worked through their conflict was inspiring. And the moment Winston called his mom and Aly cheap and they both came out the dressing room was the highlight of the show. For me that even topped Winston's radio show and that was also perfect.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, vibeology said:

As it is, we've clearly moved to full-out Nick/Jess endgame now. Nick and Regan are falling apart. Nick has matured enough relationship-wise to want a partner and not just someone cool for hangouts and sex. He's still a mess, but a mess who wants to change and wants more. He owns the bar, can take care of the expense report, (no more shoe box in the closet) fulfilled his dream of writing a book and wants a real connection with someone talking about life and problems. All of his issues from the first Nick/Jess go around have been solved or at the very least are things he is working on improving.

AND he knows the word zeitgeist!

Rob Reiner spoofing his own film was cute. Is Jess's stepmom Kaitlin Olsen, did he marry her? If so, funny that their show leads up to 'the mick'.

And yeah, I'm just gonna have to assume Jess is on spring break, so it doesn't bug me that she can just up and leave.

• Love 1

You know what? I was too happy that the bells are tolling for Reagan that I completely missed Jess taking of from her new job.  Buh-BYE Reagan!  Congrats on the new job, adios!  Hope you never come back, so au revoir!

Winston is too many kinds of awesome and Ally is right in step with him.

Also loved everyone ganging up on CeCe and Schmidt for being at the loft.  Even Winston's mom! "I thought you two moved out?"

• Love 3

I got quite a few chuckles out of this one, I must admit. Loved the excerpts from the unauthorized story of Lindsay Lohan, "Freckle Me Once." And the way everyone kept asking Schmidt and Cece what they were doing there was very meta. I loved that Nick didn't know who Cece was when she called and kept asking who she was. "Who's calling? Who am I speaking with?" Winston's mom was a hoot too, and I loved when he made the mistake of calling her and Ally "cheap" and they both charged out of the changing rooms loaded for bear.

I enjoyed Winston's fake radio show too, but the closing tag showing Lamorne Morris doing his improv and riffing illustrates a problem this show has always had. There is too much reliance on the actors riffing and improvising, like in a Christopher Guest movie or Judd Apatow movie. Sometimes it works but more often it falls flat. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I'd really been hoping that the Misery title would apply to something with Nick and Young fan demanding more Pepperwood... But I'm glad they worked it into a Rob Reiner story.

I think I'm ready for the show to end this season though. I just don't see them having a lot more runway. It sets up well to have Schmidt and Cece accept having their own house, Winston and Aly finding happiness together, and The Nick and Jess end game. They're still mining the funnies where they can, but I sense the cast is getting a little itchy and seems ready to move on.

I laughed really hard at Rob Reiner waking up to see Jess starring at him creepily. The Misery parody was short, but funny.

I also liked Winston and his mom, and her obsession with him being on the radio. "You were a cop this whole time too?!?!"

• Love 1

Hannah Simone is most definitely pregnant, if you catch her on the interview circuit for her other Fox show (specifically Late Night with Seth Meyers). Zooey is pregnant for the second time in 2 seasons. Megan Fox was pregnant during last season's finale. Something is in the water there and someone needs to tell Nasim Pedrad before it's too late!