Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Simone Biles - After Olympic Gold Will The Mirrorball Shine As Bright?

• Start Topic

Simone Arianne Biles (born March 14, 1997) is an American artistic gymnast. Biles is the 2016 Olympic individual all-around, vault and floor gold medalist. She was part of the gold medal-winning team dubbed the "Final Five" at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. She also won the bronze medal for the balance beam during the Olympics. Biles is a three-time world all-around champion (2013–15), three-time world floor champion (2013–15), two-time world balance beam champion (2014, 2015), four-time United States national all-around champion (2013–16), and a member of the gold medal-winning American teams at the 2014 and 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships.

Having won a combined total of nineteen Olympic and World Championship medals, Biles is the most decorated American gymnast, taking over from Shannon Miller, who had held this record since 1996. With her win in Rio, Biles became the sixth woman to have won an individual all-around title at both the World Championships and the Olympic Games. With four Olympic gold medals, Biles set an American record for most gold medals in women’s gymnastics at a single Games.

ABC-Simone-Biles-Sasha-Farber-DWTS-ml-170228_4x3_992.jpg

Simone doesn't think she has much of an advantage:  "There wouldn't be any advantage but how long our training days are but all these athletes train long days too..."  

Yes the pro dancers are athletes who train long and hard.  But HER competition are the other celebs.  I don't know how long and hard Nick or Mr. T or Chris, etc. train every day.

Just from the social media posts I've seen from Simone/Sasha so far, I can already stomach this pair better than Laurie/Val.  Which is less a judgment on Laurie who I like well enough, but maybe more my growing distaste for Val and his ever need to play the all knowing mentor, whether anyone asks him to or not.  Simone/Sasha seem like well matched personalities and it's much more of an equal partnership.  Also while Sasha shouldn't go overboard with the gymnastics, I think he will be better able to capitalize on her unique skills than Val could with Laurie.  Just in the sense that Sasha is a bit of a gymnast himself and he loves flips and tricks and is more outside of the box as opposed to Val.

Also with both Heather and Normani as competition, Simone should get less of the ringer backlash than she would normally.  Everyone is focused on Heather that Simone might be able to position herself as an underdog in some ways.

Edited by spanana

I think it's so intriguing that Simone is the 3rd of the final five to go on the show and the 2nd in succession to Laurie. I always thought Simone's reply to the question (I think asked on GMA) about whether or not she wanted to do it was kind of a "I don't think so" brush off. I guess not!

I like Sasha and I adore Simone so I'm going to be DVRing them for their pairing this season. Just like I watched last season because of how much I adore Laurie. Sasha seems like a great choreographer and coach based on how well he and Terra did last year. I'm interested to see where they go.

Edited by SanLynn

She was good, a little over praise by the judges, but that was to be expected.

I would not mind if she wins. Hope Laurie winning last season doesn't hurt her chances. Simone is much more fun and better dancer than Laurie , who got pretty boring  and didn't improve much at the end of her season IMO.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, blaase said:

She was good, a little over praise by the judges, but that was to be expected.

I would not mind if she wins. Hope Laurie winning last season doesn't hurt her chances. Simone is much more fun and better dancer than Laurie , who got pretty boring  and didn't improve much at the end of her season IMO.

I have a problem with someone drawing this conclusion after ONE dance... Especially comparing it to the full season of Laurie... but please go on.

4 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I have a problem with someone drawing this conclusion after ONE dance... Especially comparing it to the full season of Laurie... but please go on.

We are all forming opinions, making judgments and drawing conclusions about all the contestants after just one dance. That's what we do on this forum.  After their second dance our opinions, etc may or may not change and so on after each week.

For her being one of the top contenders  this season, she needs to standout a little more. I find myself feeling like she is rather boring but I doubt she will go home anytime soon. She will definitely be in the finals but I need her to standout more. She needs to show more personality and stage presence because if not I can see Rashad And Normani being the final two because they got the personality and stage presence in lock so far.

I thought she did a really good job last week. It was the most emotional/connected to a dance that I've seen from her all season. If she can tap into that for every performance I think that will help her stand out. In general though gymnast on DWTS seem to be media trained to be cute and likeable so it must be hard for her to break that habit and really let her personality out. 

Edited by RemoteControl88
  • Love 1

I also agree that she finally showed some emotion in her dancing last week.   She still moves like a gymnast though.  It will be tougher for her than it was for Laurie just because there is a lot more competition this season.  She has a lot of fans though.

• Love 1