Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Child's Play

When a monster appears that resembles Molly's childhood imaginary friend, Diana realizes her daughter's life as a Witness will be anything but normal. Meanwhile, Molly gets her chance to see the vault for the first time.

Wow. I am the first response! Another Gollum or Tulpa. An 'imaginary' friend come to life.

A young child as a Witness paired with a man in his 30s is not hugely compelling. He comes across as a father figure. But that's what the baddy wants now - to be Molly's 'dad'?

Not enough Jobe the Hot. But he did look good in a suit. Why close the company?

Surely the Vault has fire and other exits. Crane's dinner was making me hungry.

Played with my Twitter feed for a chunk of the ep.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Wow. I am the first response! Another Gollum or Tulpa. An 'imaginary' friend come to life.

A young child as a Witness paired with a man in his 30s is not hugely compelling. He comes across as a father figure. But that's what the baddy wants now - to be Molly's 'dad'?

Not enough Jobe the Hot. But he did look good in a suit. Why close the company?

Surely the Vault has fire and other exits. Crane's dinner was making me hungry.

Played with my Twitter feed for a chunk of the ep.

Yeah, Molly has to be kept elsewhere while the other adults have to do the work.  Last time Jenny was the caretaker in her trailer and this time it's Ichabod in the Vault.  I thought it was going to be a bottle episode with Molly and Ichabod but it was just there to keep her out of it again before she's inevitably kidnapped or something happens to her at the end of the season.

• Love 1

Felt kind of Ichabod-lite, which was a strange choice.  But since he was locked in the vault with Molly, it was basically Diana and Jenny off doing one thing, while Jake and Alex were doing another.  I'm not against different pairings for ensemble shows and even the lead taking a break, but when three of them have only been introduced this season and I haven't even really gotten the time to care about them or even form an opinion, you kind of got issues on that end.

I guess Jake yelling through the wall instead of just using the radio was suppose to be funny, but I thought it just made him come off like a complete moron.  And he and Alex were so going to make out, had Ichabod not finally got out, right?  Did I imagine the whole "Jake has a crush on Jenny" thing?

Dreyfuss has now shutdown his company and is going to fully focus on his grand plan.  Which now includes creepily stalking Molly, because he wants to be a "father figure."  He's almost making me miss Jeremy.

At least Mr. David survived.  I don't think Molly would have been able to handle it if she accidentally killed him, by sicking a monster on him!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Felt kind of Ichabod-lite, which was a strange choice.  But since he was locked in the vault with Molly, it was basically Diana and Jenny off doing one thing, while Jake and Alex were doing another.  I'm not against different pairings for ensemble shows and even the lead taking a break, but when three of them have only been introduced this season and I haven't even really gotten the time to care about them or even form an opinion, you kind of got issues on that end.

I guess Jake yelling through the wall instead of just using the radio was suppose to be funny, but I thought it just made him come off like a complete moron.  And he and Alex were so going to make out, had Ichabod not finally got out, right?  Did I imagine the whole "Jake has a crush on Jenny" thing?

Dreyfuss has now shutdown his company and is going to fully focus on his grand plan.  Which now includes creepily stalking Molly, because he wants to be a "father figure."  He's almost making me miss Jeremy.

At least Mr. David survived.  I don't think Molly would have been able to handle it if she accidentally killed him, by sicking a monster on him!

It's mainly set up this way because they have a child Witness, so at least 1 of the mains has to be relegated to caretaker of the episode while the other defeat the creature of the week.  Last time it was with Jenny in the trailer, then it was with her not-Dad creature, and now Ichabod in the Vault.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping Mr. Stitch would turn out to be a 'good' demon that molly could learn how to 'control' and would allow her to have a bit of independence from the adults sometimes. He could've been like a bodyguard that would show up when she needed him, like when she was alone and got cornered with Dreyfuss. It does seem like they didn't think things through when it came to handling a child witness that, unlike Abbie or Ichabod, can pretty much never be left alone or defend herself against demons. At this point I almost wish she had legitimate demon fighting magical powers now, if only so she could protect herself and equalize with the adults a bit.

I'm done with Dreyfuss. Dude is so weird and just The Worst. In all of his dialogue and interaction with Molly he had a very potent air of pedophile about him and obviously it came off as gross. I thought they were going to go into some kind of child bride territory the way he was talking about her. ech.

I think I'm used to the new people now. Still don't really like them, but I don't actively dislike anyone really. I was more worried about Mr. David than of either of Jake or Alex possibly getting shot. Jake is my favorite new person, but I had zero concern that he narrowly avoided death when the shotgun blew a hole through the door, but I actually cried out 'Oh, No!' when Mr. Stitch went for Mr. David.  I really didn't want Mr. David, who I've known for two minutes, to die, but couldn't care less about Diana or Alex getting killed off at any time. Odd.

Anyway, I still like this show, I can't help it. I haven't loved it in a looong time, but I still look forward to it and I will miss it when it is inevitably and promptly cancelled.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, gutbuster said:

Yeah, I was kind of hoping Mr. Stitch would turn out to be a 'good' demon that molly could learn how to 'control' and would allow her to have a bit of independence from the adults sometimes. He could've been like a bodyguard that would show up when she needed him, like when she was alone and got cornered with Dreyfuss. It does seem like they didn't think things through when it came to handling a child witness that, unlike Abbie or Ichabod, can pretty much never be left alone or defend herself against demons. At this point I almost wish she had legitimate demon fighting magical powers now, if only so she could protect herself and equalize with the adults a bit.

I'm done with Dreyfuss. Dude is so weird and just The Worst. In all of his dialogue and interaction with Molly he had a very potent air of pedophile about him and obviously it came off as gross. I thought they were going to go into some kind of child bride territory the way he was talking about her. ech.

I think I'm used to the new people now. Still don't really like them, but I don't actively dislike anyone really. I was more worried about Mr. David than of either of Jake or Alex possibly getting shot. Jake is my favorite new person, but I had zero concern that he narrowly avoided death when the shotgun blew a hole through the door, but I actually cried out 'Oh, No!' when Mr. Stitch went for Mr. David.  I really didn't want Mr. David, who I've known for two minutes, to die, but couldn't care less about Diana or Alex getting killed off at any time. Odd.

Anyway, I still like this show, I can't help it. I haven't loved it in a looong time, but I still look forward to it and I will miss it when it is inevitably and promptly cancelled.

That would've been a lot better and they could've been more creative with that.

• Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It seems pretty bad when the writers have the characters admitting, "Yes, this totally happened before a few seasons ago." Are they not even trying anymore?

I don't think they accidentally recycled the season one golem plot.  It seemed to me to be a deliberate recall to what happened to Jeremy, and was intended to evoke something of a paternal connection between Ichabod and Molly.  Now, whether or not they succeeded, that's another story.

• Love 2
On 05.03.2017 at 7:04 AM, gutbuster said:

It does seem like they didn't think things through when it came to handling a child witness that, unlike Abbie or Ichabod, can pretty much never be left alone or defend herself against demons.

Molly has more support system than Ichabod and Abbie had as children, so I don't get this issue at all from the show. She's already better protected and prepared than the Mills sisters and Ichabod.

12 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Molly has more support system than Ichabod and Abbie had as children, so I don't get this issue at all from the show. She's already better protected and prepared than the Mills sisters and Ichabod.

But that's the thing that limits the new Witness since the group constantly needs to be splintered off just to accommodate and protect Molly even more than usual.  It's also a constraint on the Witnesses' partnership especially between a grown adult and child.

• Love 2

*Clearing out my DVR*

Count me in as getting an icky vibe from Dreyfuss with Molly. I have 11 year old twin girls so perhaps my spidey sense is overly tuned, but I was creeped out. Also, I realize that child prodigies exist, but Molly's drawings are not realistic for an 11 year old sitting in Mr. David's art class at Liberty Elementary School. 

Mison is really good with the actress playing Molly. He seems to have chemistry with everyone except, ironically, the actress who played his wife. 

I hated Jake shouting through the wall. He has been portrayed as maybe a little over-enthusiastic, but never as stupid. He & Alex (or Jenny) do not need to happen, but I do like Jake & Alex as friends/work buddies. The actress playing Alex reminds me of a young Parker Posey. 

On 3/7/2017 at 10:08 AM, proserpina65 said:

I don't think they accidentally recycled the season one golem plot.  It seemed to me to be a deliberate recall to what happened to Jeremy, and was intended to evoke something of a paternal connection between Ichabod and Molly.  Now, whether or not they succeeded, that's another story.

I agree. The show was trying to draw a parallel, down to the carnival/amusement park setting. I'm surprised (but glad) that they did not show flashbacks to that episode. 

• Love 1