Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: The Gang Tends Bar

• Start Topic

It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.

Every season needs a Gang Tries To Be Normal episode, and they tend to be great. And this was no exception. Great ending, too.

Loved New Dee, and how everyone got a chant (even Cricket!) except for Regular Dee. And of course having New Dee/Dottie leave is what breaks Dennis.

"So you're gay. For pay or for free?"
"...Free, I guess?"
"Chump."

Don't change, Cricket. And hey they're keeping Mac gay.

Frank buying poop on the dark web to help him lose weight, which gave him Jerry the tapeworm, is such a disturbing, yet perfectly Frank thing to do. Also, he eats sewer crabs. I don't know what those are, but I'm sure Charlie does.

• Love 5

It's somewhat sad when Dennis is the voice of reason. The bar probably would do better if at least two of the Gang tried sanity for a while. That's never going to happen . . . good thing for us that Frank cooks the books.

I think the only gift Mac could have gotten Dennis to make him happier was an underage girl fresh from a lobotomy. I don't think I've heard Dennis obsess over rocket launchers, but I can buy that. Mac not checking for a rocket? Classic. And I honestly thought he'd head back to the closet. He came out for a winning scratch card, so maybe he is gay for pay.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Every season needs a Gang Tries To Be Normal episode, and they tend to be great. And this was no exception. Great ending, too.

I agree that the broken normality was really well done.  Paddy's is a supporting character in the show just as much as humans like Cricket and Artemis, and I'm glad they let it (him?) show off its disgusting filthy side from time to time. 

I'm also glad they revisited one the eternal issues of the show, which is how do they stay in business if they're always disappearing to the Jersey Shore or trying to break Wade Boggs's record.  It's nice to see a reminder from time to time that it's just a book cooking front for Frank's other operations.

I also thought the actors did a great job shifting gears between piggish egotism and semi-human versions of emotion.  I agree with Dennis's insistence that he has feelings -- he does.  They're twisted and unappealing and mostly buried, but they're there.

• Love 3

I always feel a little frightened at the rare episodes during which I identify with Dennis. Holy crap, I would have lost my shit about eighteen times with his imbecilic (yet hilarious) coworkers. Any discussion of the tapeworm had me doubled over in laughter. Love gay Mac. The plugged-up soda thing was revolting. Oh man, this was a good one.

• Love 2

I thought for sure Mac's gift would be some type of "frozen head in a box", since as we learned last year, that is Dennis' idea of love.  Or beauty, I forget which, per Chardee MacDennis II.  Not a real head in a box, but something like that

Its amazing if you go back and watch season one how much they actually tried to, well, work at the bar and do their jobs as compared to later seasons when they just gave up the premise altogether that they even cared about it at all.  Outside The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award. 

It is always nice when they show they really do have some feelings for each other, no matter how odd those feelings, or the way they show it, may be. 

• Love 1

Yay - it's bugged me for the whole run of the series that they have customers and no one ever tends bar. Though being a books-cooking operation does make sense.

When Mac couldn't find the RPG, I assumed the rocket launcher was already loaded. Doesn't that make the most sense?

• Love 1
On 2/28/2017 at 9:36 AM, highway61 said:

Yay - it's bugged me for the whole run of the series that they have customers and no one ever tends bar. Though being a books-cooking operation does make sense.

When Mac couldn't find the RPG, I assumed the rocket launcher was already loaded. Doesn't that make the most sense?

That is what I thought.  And I thought Dennis would play with the Rocket launcher and shoot the bar on accident.  

Frank is nuts, but the way Danny delivers the lines is perfection.