Type keyword(s) to search

CPAP

• Start Topic

So was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and my dr. prescribed a cpap.  I just started it a couple of nights ago.  I chose the piece that only has the nose caps, thinking it was the least annoying.  I tend to sleep on my side/stomach, so I figured that either the nose mask or the full mask would more easily get dislodged.  Well, the nose caps aren't much better.  they too tend to get dislodged and then the air blowing wakes me up. I tried tightening the head straps, and all it does is shove the nose caps up inside my nostrils and it hurts. I know its only been a couple of days, but I'm not sure how to solve this problem.  any suggestions?  I've tried to fall asleep on my back, and I just can't.  

• Love 1

I use a CPAP and I have the traditional headgear with the gel filled cushion mask.  I got used to that fairly quick - I go back and forth between side and back for sleep positions so it still works for me.  Perhaps you could try changing the mask and sleeping on your back.

• Love 1

I use CPAP, too, and have had to experiment with the different sizes of nasal pillows. For me, the middle size stays in the best. 

Maybe try a different size, if you haven't already done so. My equipment comes with 3 sizes. 

It takes some getting used to. Hang in there!

• Love 2

I've been on Cpap treatment for about 19 months.  So far, so good.  I had more hypopneas than actual apnea, but, still, they said I needed the cpap, though, I have a low setting and show low AHI's. 

I use a jell cushioned nasal pillow by Nuance and have from day one.  At times, it annoys me, but, it's really not so bad.  I know that  I'm getting the sleep and air that I need and that gives me peace.  If you have trouble with it, I might check with the company's rep person.  They are supposed to help you get it adjusted.  I found that getting it tighter did not help. In fact, the best fit and seal for me is when the nasal pillow gently lays on my nose.  Having the straps tight, just hurts and serves no purpose.  I haven't had any leaks yet.  

Have you registered your machine and get daily feed back on your hours, API, leaks, etc?  I find that helpful. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

My father got a CPAP in the last couple weeks and I've been with him on every step. Both his Dr and sleep technologist suggested the nasal mask as that is best but he tried  the mouth and nose one at the sleep machine rep's office. He did find it moved way too much so he got the nasal. It's taken some adjustment and his Dr altering his prescription to be an auto pressure (rather than a straight CPAP), but he's doing better  with it now. He doesn't use any other pillows for it. We've had great service with the machine's rep and you should definitely ask them to let you sample other masks or look into pillows. Good luck.

I do sleep medicine as part of my practice.  The best advice is what Athena says, try until you find a mask that works best for you.  The one you have is good but may need a different size.  All the masks work, though sometimes the pressure has to be adjusted, but the "best" one really is what is most comfortable.  And the biggest issues really are related to

1.  What you describe, mask coming off.  You can try tightening, different sizes, sometimes as well depending on your pressure settings those can be adjusted and help.  Higher pressures make it more like for mask leaks and dislodging of the masks at night, if you pressure is higher may be able to get by on a lower pressure

2.  Mask is uncomfortable, in that case you just need to find a different one

3.  Pressure is too much, or too little.  SOme people feel like its too strong, you can adjust the ramp or just lower the pressure.  At times patients think its not strong enough, you can go up on the pressure. 

The alternatives are if you just cannot tolerate CPAP, you can consider a dental device or surgical options.  Dental devices usually require seeing a special dentist for them and work best for more mild cases.  Surgical options involve an ENT evaluation for obstructive lesions that can be removed or helped, typically nasal turbinates, tonsils, of tonsilar area tissues.

Weight loss long term helps, but many study show until you get on CPAP treatment, its hard to lose weight in the first place, so you have to start with treatment of the OSA.

Stick with the mask, try to make adjustment's, most companies are pretty good at the beginning about letting you swtich if its not working.  Its to their benefit as well to help you.  If you are noncompliant the machine is taken away after a period of time by the insurance carrier and they don't get paid for it any further.  Its can take 2-4 weeks or so to fully adjust and see the maximum benefit, so give it more time.  Most doctors know as well its a big adjustment and may take longer than just a few nights to get it right.  Of course you wrote this early Feb, so hopefully its better by now

• Love 3

I'm still doing really well on cpap.  I have lost about 45 pounds, since starting, but, I still intend to stay on it. I have a little more to lose. 

Why do you think that so many people are resistant to the idea that they may need a sleep study or cpap?  When I suspected a sleep problem, I wanted to find the culprit and treat it.  I had one sleep study done long ago and had no issues, just a lot of arousals, for unknown reason and then a couple of years ago when they found my Hypopneas.  

I have a nephew who sleeps a lot.  I mean, he's always napping.  And he's in his early 20's.  Don't you think that's odd?  Why would a young person sleep so much.  AND he can't wake up in the mornings.  LOUD alarms don't phase him.  I've suggested sleep study several times, but, he ignores it.  It's concerning, but, I suppose you can't force help on anyone. 

On 10/20/2017 at 2:57 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm still doing really well on cpap.  I have lost about 45 pounds, since starting, but, I still intend to stay on it. I have a little more to lose. 

Why do you think that so many people are resistant to the idea that they may need a sleep study or cpap?  When I suspected a sleep problem, I wanted to find the culprit and treat it.  I had one sleep study done long ago and had no issues, just a lot of arousals, for unknown reason and then a couple of years ago when they found my Hypopneas.  

I have a nephew who sleeps a lot.  I mean, he's always napping.  And he's in his early 20's.  Don't you think that's odd?  Why would a young person sleep so much.  AND he can't wake up in the mornings.  LOUD alarms don't phase him.  I've suggested sleep study several times, but, he ignores it.  It's concerning, but, I suppose you can't force help on anyone. 

The New Yorker recently had an article about how even the medical profession's view on sleep and its importance has changed relatively recently. I think Western society as a whole doesn't value sleep enough so the idea of people having issues with sleep isn't considered important especially if people are young like your nephew. I had coworker at my last job who is 25, has sleep apnea, and on CPAP. He is not obese and while he carries some weight, I think most people who don't know about sleep apnea would be surprised he had it. I think a lot of people now have a machine to help them sleep but sleep is a personal topic and they don't always talk about it openly or find it interesting enough to mention it to others.

My Dad was resistant to the sleep thing as he heard from older friends how annoying the masks and machine was, but it has changed his life. I think technology has made it more comfortable as well.

Recently, I suspect my partner has sleep issues and after my experience helping my dad through his moderate-severe apnea, urged him to get a consult. So he will be likely doing a sleep test soon and thankfully since he has a very good insurance plan, if he does need a machine, he's well covered too.

• Love 1

That's good to know Athena.  The main thing that got my attention was the frequent nighttime urination.  It was so annoying and disruptive.  Something about being deprived of oxygen affects your heart and your bladder.  Seriously, it's a major sign. It went away after I got treatment.   

I hope your dad's situation works out well. I think that I would have been turned off,  if I had to use the old, bulky mask, but, they now have nasal pillows, which are soft and just lay on your nose, leaving your mouth free.  And mine is so quiet. It's really almost completely silent. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Well, I'm still using the CPAP.  I still don't really care for it, but I don't have much of a choice.  I just get really annoyed with the tubing and trying to sleep with it all over the place, and its not as quiet as they claim, my husband says its a real toss up as to what is noisier, my snoring or the cpap machine.  Part of my problem is my right hip that really needs to be replaced (it hurts every day, all day - and really hard to put on socks and boots), but my ortho wants me to lose another 10-15 pounds (which is difficult enough in non-holiday times), so in the meantime, I have to change positions at night and the cpap makes that difficult. 

The cpap itself hasn't helped my weight.  the only thing that really helped my weight was when I had severe lumbar strain/sciatica in the summer and could barely eat, and once it was under control, I continued to only eat 2 meals a day, which helped me lose a bit more.

And its hard to say whether its helped my BP.   When I go to my GP, my BP is always 140ish over 90-100ish (after they take it twice - as they always seem to have a problem hearing it).  but everywhere else I go, the sleep doctor, my pain management doctor, my ortho, they report my BP at 128-130 over 78-82.

My blood pressure is always higher at the doctor's office. I got my own blood pressure monitor and take it at home occasionally now because my gynecologist's nurse practitioner wouldn't believe me that it's always higher at the doctor's office. My other doctor (what used to be a general practitioner, but I don't know what it's called now) wrote me a note on his prescription pad that I had white coat syndrome.

• Love 2

Heh, maybe that's what i've got.  I just don't understand why my bp is a good 10-20 points higher in that doctor's office, compared to all my other doctor's offices.  The drive is a tad longer, but not much.  And today, I even had a whole Starbucks grande before a pain mgmt. appoint with bp at 130/82, and I never drink coffee before the GP appointment.  Maybe I should next time.

Hanahope, sorry your Cpap is not as pleasant as you would like. I'm really surprised that you have noise with yours.  Mine is so silent, that you can't tell that it's on.  Have you done any toubleshooting to see if you have a malfunction with it?  If it's noisy and annoying, it's unlikely, you'll have long term use.  I have read that if you need cpap and don't have it, it will keep you from losing weight.  I'm not sure who that works, but, I have been able to lose weight quite well since going on cpap.

I know that my harrowing drives to the doctor office cause my BP to shoot up.  Most of them require me to drive on a very busy, fast and dangerous road. I come close to death each trip, so, I get why I'm higher, but, at home, I'm in a good range.  I recently went to my GP due to having the flu and my BP was 122/72 with no meds.  I was petty happy. Hope it holds.  They can believe me now. 

19 hours ago, forumfish said:

Any advice on convincing a stubborn 88-year-old man that he needs to wear his CPAP all night, every night? My dad averages wearing his about half the night. He was diagnosed with A-Fib a couple of years ago, and last week's PET scan showed low numbers that may indicate heart failure. We see his cardiologist tomorrow.

My sister, on the other hand, is 100% compliant with her CPAP. She is such a good patient!

Is your dad the one who is 88 years old?  If so, is he competent and able to make his own decisions?  I ask that, because, if people aren't invested into it, it's really hard to get them on board.  Plus, when someone is 88 years old.......I'd discuss with the doctor how gradual the harm may be by not using Cpap.  Sometimes, when people reach a certain age, they choose to forego some things that may lengthen life for better quality. Maybe, he thinks he sleeps better if not using it.   As long as he understands the risks, I'd support his decision.  If he really does want to use it a lot, I'd talk to a rep with the company to address any troubles he may have. 

I'm pretty compliant, but, I'm not sure I will be when I'm 88.  It's my hope that it will keep me healthier, both mentally and physically as I get older. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I see. I hope he can find a happy medium.  Has your dad talked to his Primary care doctor about it?  I'd try that too.  It's not that I take issue with a cardiologist, it's just that people who get up in age, sometimes make personal decisions about their healthcare that we may not agree with. Geriatric doctors understand this more.   My dad is in his 80's too and is also a heart patient.  I try to encourage him to take meds, eat right, walk careful, etc., but, I pick my battles.  I let him decide what he feels comfortable with regarding his health and treatment.   

If your dad can figure out what about the cpap that he doesn't like, maybe, he can get more time in.  I would support him and not stress him out though.  Feeling guilt because you aren't complying with something might put stress on you.  I want my daddy to be as stress free as possible  I know, to each his own, but, that's one approach.  

On 2/13/2018 at 10:15 PM, forumfish said:

Any advice on convincing a stubborn 88-year-old man that he needs to wear his CPAP all night, every night? My dad averages wearing his about half the night.

It is probably a basis question, but is the CPAP style he uses suitable for his normal sleep position?

I have a friend who uses one, but she found it quite uncomfortable.  She sleeps on her back.  Her daughter suggested she get a wedge shaped insert to help prop her up at night and after that she started to sleep better.

I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea in August 2015, and I have been using a CPAP machine for two and a half years. I was told not to sleep on my back because it can make it worse. I was also told not to get a mask that goes over your nose and mouth because it can cause your jaw to go out of alignment. I was diagnosed with TMJ and periodontal disease, and I do not need more jaw problems. Another thing I deal with is dry eyes, so I suggest to everyone who uses a CPAP machine to get your vision checked because sleep apnea can affect your eyes. Also washing your equipment like you are suppose do does help. And of course getting new pillows and nasal cushions and full face cushions can help because air can leak out more and the cushions can become less effective after using them for a long time.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:16 PM, bigskygirl said:

I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea in August 2015, and I have been using a CPAP machine for two and a half years. I was told not to sleep on my back because it can make it worse. I was also told not to get a mask that goes over your nose and mouth because it can cause your jaw to go out of alignment. I was diagnosed with TMJ and periodontal disease, and I do not need more jaw problems. Another thing I deal with is dry eyes, so I suggest to everyone who uses a CPAP machine to get your vision checked because sleep apnea can affect your eyes. Also washing your equipment like you are suppose do does help. And of course getting new pillows and nasal cushions and full face cushions can help because air can leak out more and the cushions can become less effective after using them for a long time.

I have mild Hypopneas and have been using CPAP since June of 2015.  I check my progress on the Res Med Myair website daily to see how I do and I really do have a mild case.  But, my doctor says he will let me do a home test, once I've hit my weight goal to see if I still need it.  I may or may not be able to come off CPAP.  I'm prepared to stay on it for the rest of my life though. 

I use nasal pillows and I'm pretty used to it, but, at times, my nose gets sore.  I have to remember to make sure it's not too tight.

What do you do for dry eyes?  I started having dry eye complications when I started CPAP and have been under doctor's care for over a year.  (Long story.)  What are you doing for yours?  Is this related to CPAP?

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I just use eyedtops like Blink.  I had a thicker type from the ophthalmologist, but found they really weren't all that much different.

My eyes don't close all the way when I sleep so that's why it happens.  A few drops before bed & right after wake up.  A ceiling fan is horrible for me.

(edited)

Oh, I see.  Mine is a lot more involved.  I've been seeing my doctor about it and am on several different drops, talking fish oil, etc.  I'll keep the fan thing in mind, though, I don't normally use a ceiling fan.  I do use a floor fan in summer time. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 4/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, DeLurker said:

Mine is pretty manageable without too much hassle.  You seem to be a much more complicated underlying concern.  Let me know if you find something that works for you.

Thanks.  I'm working on it.  The drops work, but, the problem returns when I try to wean off them.  I'm pretty concerned, but, I do have a great doctor.  I even had my tear drops plugged.  It's helped some.  

(edited)

Oh my....no, I've never heard of that before about goggles. So, it must be something about it...I'll have to research it.  

Yes, I have been using eye gel lubricant for months now, at night.   And, it's not enough.  I've just started with trying ointment.  Talk about thick!  It's very thick and does contain vaseline and mineral oil.  Like I said, I have a unique condition.  (Abrasion on cornea.) 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I was diagnosed with Chronic Dry Eye Disease last year along with having eye infections. In February I went back to my eye doctor because my poor right eye was painful, watery, blood shot, and minor blurry vision. She put me on a prescription eye ointment for two weeks along with an eyelid scrub cleaner. I also got a eye mask I can heat up in the microwave to help with the dry eyes, but I have not tried it yet. My right eye's cornea was slightly enlarged also. My eyes are doing better now, but my allergies and sinuses can cause my right eye to act up again. I still use the eyelid scrub cleaner once a day, and I got samples for Refresh Optive Mega-3 Libricant Eye Drops, and the drops work well. I got a few coupons for the drops, so now I need to find a place who sells them.

11 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I was diagnosed with Chronic Dry Eye Disease last year along with having eye infections. In February I went back to my eye doctor because my poor right eye was painful, watery, blood shot, and minor blurry vision. She put me on a prescription eye ointment for two weeks along with an eyelid scrub cleaner. I also got a eye mask I can heat up in the microwave to help with the dry eyes, but I have not tried it yet. My right eye's cornea was slightly enlarged also. My eyes are doing better now, but my allergies and sinuses can cause my right eye to act up again. I still use the eyelid scrub cleaner once a day, and I got samples for Refresh Optive Mega-3 Libricant Eye Drops, and the drops work well. I got a few coupons for the drops, so now I need to find a place who sells them.

OMG.  I do relate.  I have a condition with adhesions on the cornea.  One is worse than the other.  Dry eye aggravates it. I've been on steroid drops for awhile. Weaning off now.  My eyes stay red and irritated. I do gel drops at night and Refresh Optive during the day.   I'm under care of cornea specialist.  It's really terrifying.  On my next visit, I'm going to ask him about the eye mask.  Will you let me know what you think, after you use it? What does the eyelid scrub cleaner do? I get my Refresh from Wallgreens, Rite Aid, and maybe, Wallmart.  I can't recall.  Also, online, but, not sure if you can use the coupon there. 

Have you ever tried Restasis? I did and didn't think they were helping, but, I'm wondering if I should try them again, now that my eyes are more stable.  

48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG.  I do relate.  I have a condition with adhesions on the cornea.  One is worse than the other.  Dry eye aggravates it. I've been on steroid drops for awhile. Weaning off now.  My eyes stay red and irritated. I do gel drops at night and Refresh Optive during the day.   I'm under care of cornea specialist.  It's really terrifying.  On my next visit, I'm going to ask him about the eye mask.  Will you let me know what you think, after you use it? What does the eyelid scrub cleaner do? I get my Refresh from Wallgreens, Rite Aid, and maybe, Wallmart.  I can't recall.  Also, online, but, not sure if you can use the coupon there. 

Have you ever tried Restasis? I did and didn't think they were helping, but, I'm wondering if I should try them again, now that my eyes are more stable.  

I have not tried Restasis. I was put on three prescription eye ointments and one prescription eye drop last year, but they did not work, so I was sent to an eye specialist. The ointment I got in February did a good job, so my eye doctor told me to keep it in case I start getting more eye infections. I used the eyelid scrub cleaner before I put in in the ointment, but she ask me to keep using the cleaner once a day (I use it before going to bed and putting on my CPAP mask.) It helps keep my eyelids clean so less chance of infections. I have eye problems due to a chronic thyroid condition. I also have light sensitivity to the point of wearing prescription sunglasses outside or even inside due to indoor lights.

Oh, yeah.  Me too.  I've had such extreme light sensitivity, that I've had to wear TWO pair of sunglasses at once! And sunglasses inside some places with certain lighting.   HOWEVER, since, I've been under doctor's care for over last year, it's MUCH improved and I barely think about it anymore. I can even go outside on sunny day without sunglasses, but, I wear them anyway for protection. Do you have light blue eyes? I do.   What I do get is glare on things I'm reading, especially if light color on light color and then bright light on top of that. 

I tried a moisturizing ointment, but, it was not good for me. I encountered pretty severe discomfort the day after I used it at bedtime.  That happened twice, so, I switched back to gel drops. What kind of ointment are you using? Moisturizing, antibiotic, steroid? 

I have hypothyroid too.  I take Levothyroxine, that keeps levels in great range though. 

Do you have hope that things will get much better? I try to believe it will happen. 

(edited)

The ointment I was on for two weeks had steroid in it. I use the eyelid cleaner before using the eye ointment, so it probably work better for my eyes. I have brown eyes.

I noticed when my eyes dry up, an eye infection kicks in, not feeling well or my sinuses or allergies kick the light sensitivity gets worse. I cannot go outside when there is a lot of sunlight, snow on the ground or even when it is cloudy outside because my eyes cannot take it.

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2003, but it came back in August 2012. I had a radiation iodine treatment in December 2012. I started taken Levothyroxine in late January 2013, but within two weeks after I started taking it, I became sick. I now deal with multiple health issues, and within a year after the treatment, my eye health started going downhill, I try to have a positive attitude and grateful my medical team is working hard to get me healthy, but it is frustrating after  five years of being sick and being diagnosed with multiple medical issues after being told I would have better quality of life, feel better, and hypothyroidism is easier to treat after having the one treatment. I have had more medical appointments, blood tests, and medical procedures in the last three years than my husband who was on dialysis for three years before getting a new kidney fourteen years ago. Go figure!

Edited by bigskygirl

Thanks for that tip Forumfish.  Eye drops of any kind are pretty pricey, imo, especially, the prescription kind. Thank goodness, my insurance finally approved mine.

Bigskygirl, it sounds like you really have been through an ordeal healthwise, including your eyes.  It's good you are hanging in there. I know it's frustrating.  I don't think that people realize how eye issues can be so challenging.  I mean, I have to get better.  Eye health affects every aspect of your life.  Are you seeing an endocrinologist too?  

Have you gotten a second opinion?  I was already seeing a highly rated, cornea specialist in the state, but, I decided to get a second opinion with another one at a noted teaching hospital.  When I go there, 2 doctors actually examine me and discuss it. So, I feel a little better knowing that I'm getting top notch treatment. 

OH, have you gotten your tear ducts plugged?  I did and I think it might have helped a little, but, one fell out after a few weeks and I think the other one has now fallen out. They are so small, that I can't tell for sure.   It's supposed to cause the moisture to build up in the eye instead of pouring out as tears. Like logging up a dam.  I think it works pretty well for some people. 

I see an endocrinologist at the local hospital. He is a major improvement over the out of town quack I was sent to when the Graves Disease came back in August 2012. It has been a battle trying to get the right med dosage for the last three years. I was told I am very sensitive to hyperthyroid symptoms, and any changes in the weather or weather seasons can cause my thyroid hormones levels to go wacky.

I was sent to an eye specialist last year for a second opinion when my eyes started bothering me after trying one prescription eye drops and three different prescription eye ointments. My eye doctor also has thyroid issues, so she understands how I feel.

Her husband is my dentist, and his sister is my dental hygienist. I was diagnosed with periodontal disease last year. Not happy about it since I went to a dental clinic the year before and was not told I was showing signs of it and signs of cavities either. I waited a year for them to contact me for a checkup and teeth cleaning, but no phone calls or postcards in the mail saying I needed to come in treatment. GRRR!!! I am a lot more picky about my medical care and who I see.

I was told about tear ducts, but I am nervous to try them out because of all the problems I have. I would rather try the over counter eye drops, the eye lid cleaner, and the eye mask. I still have not use the eye mask yet. I probably will use to before going to bed and putting on the CPAP mask since the mask can cause problems with my eyes.

I go in Monday for my yearly checkup. I am seriously thinking of having my para-thyroid levels checked. I have heard patients with thyroid disorders can have problems with their para-thyroid also.

Good luck with your upcoming appointment. Mine are coming up this month too. I've been fortunate to have my thyroid meds work so well, but, I'm still going to look into whether that could be effecting my eyes. 

And, I'm going to discuss the CPAP issue and see if I need those moisture goggles. Let me know how they work for you.  

I go in on 5/14 for an eight week blood test to see how my thyroid levels are doing since my blood test in March showed I was hypothyroid. I see my specialist on 6/7 for my six month followup visit. At least my eyes are feeling better. Still some dryness and eye pain, but it is better than last year at this time. I finally got my new lenses for my new glasses last week. It took two months for my new lenses to be made properly. My prescription sunglasses are four years old, but I still can see well when I wear them. I probably will need to upgrade them sometime in the next few years.

What kind of mask do you wear?  I use Nuance gel pillows and I like it, but the headgear leaves marks on my cheeks.  I can't find any covers that work with it, so you have to get them made special.  Changing seems like a too much trouble.  Right now, I stick little pieces of fabric into protect my skin, but, that is awkward and they often fall out.   

Yes, I wear something similar.  I tried a full mask in my titration study and it was NOT good. I found that it hurt the bridge of my nose.  I don't think I'm suited for a full mask. I quickly asked for the nasal pillow and was happy with it. 

My doctor says that when I reach my goal weight, he'll order an at home study to see if I still need CPAP.  We'll see.  I think I might not always need it, because my readings are so small.  I have my numbers transmitted to Res Med central so I can see my progress daily.  I have some nights with no incidences and most of the time I barely have a .1 or .4.  Even in the beginning, I was found to be mild to moderate Hypopneas. (shallow breathing, not really apnea). Still, I'll do whatever they recommend.  I want to ensure that I'm getting all the rest and oxygen that I need. 

• Love 1

My sleep study test at the local hospital sleep center showed I stop breathing an average of 36 times a hour especially when I was sleeping on my back. I thought I was having a bad panic attack while sleeping because I woke up trying to catch my breath, felt like my heart stopped for a few minutes, and was scared to fall back to sleep. I woke up with a bad headache and sore throat and was tired for the rest of the day. I still get tired during the day, but it could be my wacky thyroid levels or side effects from meds. I remember driving a few times in the morning or during the afternoon and struggling to stay awake. I was surprised I did not fall asleep at the wheel or got in an accident.

The weird thing is my sleep apnea did not check in until I had the radiation treatment and started taking the thyroid hormone replacement med. The bad part is I am more sensitive to my hyperthyroid symptoms. My physician assistant suggested I do not need my para-thyroid tested since my calcium levels are fine. If my levels start going out of whack, I probably will need to be tested. I go in next Monday for some lovely blood tests to see what is going on.

Oh, I see. So, with your case, I can see why cpap therapy is so vital.  You must feel so much better getting sleep now.  Are you registered with company to see how you're doing now?  That's how I know that my incidences are so low and that I don't have leaks.   

My case was odd, because I did not feel tired in the mornings. I thought that I was getting plenty of sleep.  I wasn't as motivated as normal, but, I had gained some weight. I figured that I would not be as energetic with the weight gain.  Since, I've lost about 55 pounds, I have MUCH more energy. So, I'm not sure what caused that.  The reason I was given sleep study is that I was awakening in the night feeling like I was dying.  I wasn't short of breath, but, just felt dread, anxiety, fear, etc.  I wasn't sure if it was a panic attack or not. I used to have panic attacks many years ago during waking hours, but, that went away. During this time of awaking with panic,  I was under EXTREME anxiety and stress during that time. The sleep study showed that I had low oxygen during some periods. (Hyponeas) I never stopped breathing. Just had shallow breathing, but, it still qualified me for cpap treatment.  I will admit that I do feel better since on cpap treatment.  Not sure if cpap is the reason.  But, I will get another evaluation to see if I still need it once I reach my weight loss goal.  I expect to be there in a few months. 

• Love 1

I am not register with any company to see how my levels are doing. I see a sleep specialist once a year for a follow up appt. There is a small computer like disk in one of the sides of my CPAP machine which can read my levels and look for leaks. Everything looks good so far. My machine is doing its job. I now have around 3 non breathing episodes a hour, and my oxygen levels look good. Right now I am crossing my fingers my local hospital gets at least one sleep specialist at one of their clinics because I do not want to see the out of town sleep specialist because I am not happy at all with the clinic he works in. I still get tired during the day. It probably is my thyroid levels being off again and low vitamin D levels kicking in.

I also found out periodontal disease and other dental problems can be related to thyroid disorders. Oh goody! I was told if I had the one treatment I would feel healthy, but my health has taken a nose drive after I started taken the one medication and especially since 2015. I am lucky since I have heard horror stories about other patients with hypothyroidism who are sicker than I am. One of the lab people who do my blood tests told me about one of her co-workers who had to quit because her Graves Disease got so bad it was affecting her eyesight to the point she was having a hard time seeing, and I remember reading on the internet about a woman who ended up with serious heart problems due to Grave Disease.

I was also told thyroid disorders can lead to sleep apnea also. I think the all the medical problems I have now is related to hypothyroidism and the radiation treatment. I did feel miserable when I was first diagnosed with Graves Disease, but it is nothing like it is now.

(edited)

Oh, I see. The little disc that you describe is the thing that sends messages to the Res Med MYAir central location I am registered on their website and the machine sends my info to them daily and they in turn interpret it and make it available to me online. I like it, since it gives me immediate feed back. 

I'm no expert, but, I think that Grave's is related to hyperthyoridism.  I actually have hypothyroidism.  Still, it can cause problems.  I'm lucky that my levels got right quickly and have stayed the same for many years. I hope they can get yours adjusted. That will likely make you feel so much better. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Graves Disease is hyperthyroidism. It is an autoimmune disorder causing your thyroid to over produced thyroid hormones. I was told I had antibodies in my system attaching themselves to my thyroid cells causing my thyroid to kick into overdrive. In otherwords, my autoimmune system attacked my thyroid for some reason. I was told I was lucky my autoimmune system did not go after my heart, lungs, kidneys, or liver. I decided to go the medication route when I was first diagnosed. I did have some side effects, but nothing like what happened after the radiation treatment or the medication I am on now. We did come close to getting my levels under control to the point I was starting to feel better, but then I went back to hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. I guess one out of ten patients who take the one medication can end up with serious problems or becoming very sensitive to hyperthyroid symptoms.

52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, I see. The little disc that you describe is the thing that sends messages to the Res Med MYAir central location I am registered on their website and the machine sends my info to them daily and they in turn interpret it and make it available to me online. I like it, since it gives me immediate feed back. 

If you have a smart phone and are in US/Canada, ResMed has an app called "My Air" which allows you to see your data as well.  

• Love 2

I was diagnosed several years ago with mild sleep apnea (could only get about 3 hours sleep at the sleep center as I cannot sleep on my back!).  Tried several masks and finally gave up on it.  Then this past fall I decided to try one more thing - the dental device.  I went to an oral surgeon so that Medicare would cover the cost (only had to pay about $175 thanks to Medicare and our secondary).  Well...when I picked up the device and brought it home, I found it was awful to wear as it felt huge in my mouth.  I think I'm just going to have to suffer a bit each night (waking up to go to the bathroom several times) because the mask and the dental device really are bothersome and and I can't even get to sleep in the first place.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I was diagnosed several years ago with mild sleep apnea (could only get about 3 hours sleep at the sleep center as I cannot sleep on my back!).  Tried several masks and finally gave up on it.  Then this past fall I decided to try one more thing - the dental device.  I went to an oral surgeon so that Medicare would cover the cost (only had to pay about $175 thanks to Medicare and our secondary).  Well...when I picked up the device and brought it home, I found it was awful to wear as it felt huge in my mouth.  I think I'm just going to have to suffer a bit each night (waking up to go to the bathroom several times) because the mask and the dental device really are bothersome and and I can't even get to sleep in the first place.

My dentist suggested a mouth piece, but it would cost around $2000.00. My sleep patterns have been all over the place lately, and my eyes have been bothering me since last October.

Has anyone tried the So Clean machine they advertised on tv. I clean my equipment like the way I was told to, but sometimes I wake up with a headache and sinuses acting up a little.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Have you tried a Nasal pillow? It's light and lays right on your nostrils.  It's not too bothersome, once you get used to it. I thought the dental device is made to fit your mouth.  My old dentist has developed a test to see if the oral device will work for you.  I don't know the details, but, I'll give you his name, if you PM me.  He's located in Raleigh, NC.  

I've seen those machines that clean too, but, I've read that they aren't necessary according to the sites I go to that cater to cpap users.  I can't recall why.  I'm still attracted to it though.  

Update: last year I put the dental device in and for some reason, it felt ok. I've been wearing it ever since and sleep much better (don't have to get up & go to the bathroom frequently). So, for this stomach/side sleeper, the dental device is the right sleep apnea "equipment". Plus, no more complaints from my husband re: snoring.