Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Behind The Curtain

Interesting conflicts on this episode.  I would think they would have moved the cult members to some out of the way observation rooms so that the ER beds would be available, seeing as how they are in semi-permanent Code Black.  Ms. Death by AED was quite the spectacle.  The cult members could have easily avoided the entire situation by filling out some sort of Do Not Treat/Do Not Resuscitate orders and have them on their persons.  My guess is that they're going to try it again, and be more successful, upon their releases.

Dr. Asshat barely made an appearance this time.

When Angus flashed that x-ray, I swear the name on it looked like Trevor Noah.  I had to freeze frame it to see that it was Trevor Nash.

Where are they going to take this Dad's girlfriend relationship? Hopefully not Hallmark Movieland.

I can slightly relate to the colon cancer patient's relationship with her step daughter.  My wife's father just died, non unexpectedly.  She has two sisters, and one's first reaction about the funeral was "Don't spend any money frivolously."  Then she went through the house trying to claim various pieces of furniture, even while her dad's wife is still living there.  Families. Ugh.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

My guess is that they're going to try it again, and be more successful, upon their releases.

Darwin Award winners, every one.  So much the better for the rest of us.

• Love 3

As a person that has the colon cancer gene which caused me to have surgery to remove my colon when I was 30; I didn't like the whole colon cancer part.  If you have colon cancer, the doctor's remove your colon and you go through chemo and or radiation.  They don't say "hey, you have colon cancer; let's just monitor it".  They don't take pieces of your colon out either.  You don't need a colon to survive.  There are options.  

With that, for those of you that have turned 50 years old, get a colonoscopy.  Colon cancer is a silent deadly killer.   If you wait and don't do a colonoscopy, you will find out your cancer is beyond help by the time the symptoms show. The worst part of a colonoscopy is the prep.  I think most lives are worth the uncomfortableness you go through....  Sorry, my dad was one of 15 kids and 13 died from colon cancer, plus a grandmother, great grand something or other, etc....... just do it   <end rant>   ;)

• Love 4
On 11/24/2016 at 9:52 AM, Finagler said:

With that, for those of you that have turned 50 years old, get a colonoscopy.  Colon cancer is a silent deadly killer.   If you wait and don't do a colonoscopy, you will find out your cancer is beyond help by the time the symptoms show.

Couldn't agree more. It's critical if you have ANY family history of colon cancer.  It is hereditary.

Edited by cali1981

I still like this show, even with some of the medical fakeness (which I don't mind since I'm not in the medical field).  Not many shows these days restrict its drama to the professions of its characters. No, we must always have them pairing off at the workplace or we follow them home. I like the non-disclosure and learning about the character of these people that surfaces under pressure as they do their work. Personal stuff still surfaces, but I'm happy not knowing all.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mojito said:

I still like this show, even with some of the medical fakeness (which I don't mind since I'm not in the medical field).  Not many shows these days restrict its drama to the professions of its characters. No, we must always have them pairing off at the workplace or we follow them home.

Is it just my imagination or does it seem like they started last season with personal relationship stuff, then this year, so far anyway, decided to do away with it?  I don't mind some personal situations, like you said, but I get tired of the vast majority of shows having the relationships be between colleagues. 

I think I'm actually enjoying this season more than last season.

• Love 2

Two of the main characters (Jaffrey and Somerville) had a relationship towards the end of last season, I think, and they're no longer in the cast. They had even brought in a third doctor to create a triangle. She's gone, too. Two doctors who thumped around in the locker room are still in the cast but this season, I don't even recall seeing them speak to each other. This season, people's private lives are pretty private. I guess someone didn't want the show to become a soap. Kudos. 

• Love 3

Just speaking for me, myself, and only me - I have always had a very soft spot for Rob Lowe, so having him added to the cast has improved things greatly for me.  I was on the edge of forgetting the show completely until he showed up.  He plays really well off Marcia Gay Harden, and they seem to be the emotional anchor for the other characters at this point.  The touches of too-good-to-be-true they lay on him are pretty much standard issue for a show of this sort, so they don't bother me much.  

That said - who diagnoses a bowel blockage with surgery pending and does not insert an NG tube????  I had a blockage many years ago as a result of surgery and radiation for cancer, and the very first thing they did in the ER when the blockage was confirmed by x-ray was put that damn tube down. She would have still had it post-op, too.  Medical goofs like that are what get my goat with this show - don't they have doctors telling them what would or would not happen in certain circumstances?  

Still better than a lot of the awfulness on TV every night, though.  

• Love 2
On 11/28/2016 at 10:33 AM, mojito said:

I still like this show, even with some of the medical fakeness (which I don't mind since I'm not in the medical field).

I grumble about the fakeness, but it's more because what happens isn't quite compelling enough to make it easy to ignore.  Medicine is kind of a slog even in the more exciting specialities, and I know you have to cut corners for the sake of drama.  It's kind of ironic that the show that I thought got it closest to right (Scrubs) was a comedy.

But where I get hung up is just how ridiculous the plots are this season.  I mean, a suicide cult, Vladimir Putin's nephew, a landslide, and Mike falling out of a helicopter after a shark attack?  This has just become The Night Shift.  And I actually do like that show, because it doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't.  This has an Oscar-winning actress as the star, who brings way more gravitas to the proceedings than it deserves.  I'm totally fine if it wants to be an OTT thrill ride, but that wasn't the show that we were getting last year.  It was quieter and more thoughtful, and even if I didn't like the way Christa and Neal took over the show, there was a lot more I liked, mostly because there was more Rorish.  Now she gets maybe three or four scenes in some episodes, and except for the Brock Turner episode, Malaya hasn't had a storyline of her own all season.

• Love 1

Is Mike now off the show?  (Angus' brother)  :-(     I missed him and gosh, he looked darn good after having been in a coma for 3 months.  He is just my ideal handsome doctor.  If he can't actually practice on patients, why can't he supervise, like the head doctor said, or be an administrator dealing with the ethical dilemmas that they always seem to face.

• Love 2