Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Parallel Resistors

Trey
  • Start Topic

An attack on a graduate student working on a new electromagnetic weapon for the Navy is linked to international warfare; Kensi struggles with physical therapy for her spinal injury.

I liked this one, though I'm trying not to be pessimistic about Kensi's new therapy friend - tickle fjords he would be the potential spoiler for the couple, but they haven't done that here as of yet so maybe he'll just stay friends.

I also liked that Sam and Callen bentonite going to the hospital and seeing her. It seemed really weird that we hadn't seen that or that they even had visited her. 

Glad the math guy didn't die and the kid was cute. It was also pretty cute Deeks posing as Nell's eaten philosophy loving boyfriend.

I don't like Kensi's new friend, but I did like Kensi referring to Deeks as her fiance.

Also, the setting at the university looked so familiar - was it used on an episode of the mothership? Or another episode of NCIS: LA? I've definitely seen it on TV before, I just can't figure out where.

• Love 1

Yay -- Kensi called Deeks the "F" word!  Overall, I thought this was a weaker outing that most of the previous eps this season.  The COW seemed unnecessarily complicated considering it was basically quite straightforward industrial espionage.  Felt like a lot of filler.

There were some nice moments, though:  I liked Callen spending the whole episode trying to convince Sam not to send his daughter to boarding school (and I hope he doesn't, because I like his Kamran stories, though I guess if she really wants to go she deserves the same opportunity as her brother).  Liked Deeks and Nell and their undercover student personas, and the Deeks Vespa chase was great fun.

It was also great to see Kensi coming back to herself a bit, and I liked her interaction with her new frenemy.  I can't imagine he'll get in the way romantically, because that would be silly and out-of-character, and totally inconsistent with how Kensi and Deeks' relationship has been written and played thus far.  I could see an emotional connection developing, however, because they are going through similar experiences.  Seems like that might be something Kensi needs right now. It was good to see someone giving Kensi a hard time, and her giving it right back, because it felt more like normal Kensi.

I'm very intrigued to see the return of Callen's Dad next week.  It's been a long time coming and I hope he, and we, get some of the answers we've been waiting for.

That's a great, heartfelt article.  I hope Scott Gemmill et al. are basking in the well-earned kudos they are receiving for this storyline.  Other show-runners could really take a lesson from NCIS LA's use of Daniela's maternity leave to tell a powerful story, that obviously has touched people, and that the show otherwise wouldn't be at liberty to explore.  So much better than hiding the poor actress behind plants for months and then sending the character out-of-town to tend to a sick relative for six episodes.

And I know that it's probably more a function of the changed time-slot for this season, but would ya look at the great ratings!  I like to think that viewers who have come to NCIS LA this season because it happens to be at a time they are watching will stay because they discover it's actually a really entertaining, thoughtful, well-executed show.

• Love 2

Other show-runners could really take a lesson from NCIS LA's use of Daniela's maternity leave to tell a powerful story, that obviously has touched people, and that the show otherwise wouldn't be at liberty to explore.  So much better than hiding the poor actress behind plants for months and then sending the character out-of-town to tend to a sick relative for six episodes.

Absolutely! I give so much credit to the show runners for finding creative stories to tell from Daniela Ruah's pregnancies and maternity leaves. It would have been so easy to just make the character pregnant, which in my opinion would have been the absolute wrong choice at this precise moment for Deeks and Kensi as characters, or to say, "Whoops, she's injured, in the hospital, and offscreen for seven episodes." Bravo to them for turning this into an opportunity to do something really resonant for the characters and the show. As someone who sat through the insulting Felicity storyline referenced in the above article, I have the highest respect for the honest way they are unfolding this story.

Overall, I thought this was a weaker outing that most of the previous eps this season.  The COW seemed unnecessarily complicated considering it was basically quite straightforward industrial espionage.  

Once again, I found myself not following at all what was going on, which I always take as a sign that the case is too complicated or not interesting enough. I still couldn't tell you what exactly the waitress/grad student was doing. I did like the little girl, though. However, the subplot about Sam's daughter was interesting to me, and I'd like to see it explored further. I think there are genuine parenting questions about how much you, as a parent, stand in the way if your child feels this is what she truly wants and is dedicated to that path. 

22 hours ago, secnarf said:

Also, the setting at the university looked so familiar - was it used on an episode of the mothership? Or another episode of NCIS: LA? I've definitely seen it on TV before, I just can't figure out where.

I thought so too.  What came to mind for me was Weeds on I think HBO.  But I'm not at all sure.

38 minutes ago, crowsworks said:

anyone notice Miguel's slight speech problem? Almost as if he had a slight stroke.

He has been slurring for a while. Did you see last week? The show opened with his character getting an MRI, and at the end he and Hetty had a rather ominous conversation about his heath being affected by Agent Orange. I am betting his character won't be with us much longer.

In real life, I have no idea, but something is clearly going on. I agree -- he sounds like he had a stroke. There are other health conditions that can cause those symptoms, though. I hope he recovers!

• Love 2