Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Scientia Potentia Est

• Start Topic

On 11/7/2016 at 11:55 AM, PRgal said:

I felt so badly for Elizabeth in the early scene where she was with her tutor at Eton - she saw those math papers and asked if she could be taught that as well - only to be told no (inappropriate for someone like her).  I'm unsure whether MATH would have really helped her as much as how to speak/discuss issues with politicians and such, however.  I have to admit that I have bitched to my parents about MY lack of certain subjects - that my parents should have encouraged me to take more finance/business courses.  I'm trying to catch up now, and while I'm happy with my BA in history (East Asian studies)/Drama and master's in the History of Education, if I had to do my undergrad over, I probably would have done something else  No one ever told me that finance isn't the right major for "a lady," however (though my grandmother banished me from the kitchen because she didn't feel it was appropriate for one (WTF??!!!).

When she was looking at those math papers, I got the feeling that she had an immediate attraction to the subject and wanted to learn more about it.  Maybe it was because it was a field of study that was objective, rather than one based on the opinions of the teacher.  

I've always been a natural student of English and Literature topics . . . writing, reading, etc.  I actually enjoyed doing term papers!  But a few years ago - in my mid 60s - I decided that it was time to stop avoiding Algebra (which I had never successfully completed in any college course).  I bought a copy of Algebra for Dummies and the accompanying workbook.  I didn't excel, but I accomplished enough that I stopped feeling that there was a gap in my education.  

(Pardon my late comments on the subject.  We just signed up for Netflix - pretty much JUST to see "The Crown" - and have just finished binge-watching it over a quiet three-days-in-our-pajamas Christmas celebration.)

Edited by AZChristian
Used the wrong word (subjective instead of objective).
  • Love 8
On 12/28/2017 at 10:05 AM, AZChristian said:

When she was looking at those math papers, I got the feeling that she had an immediate attraction to the subject and wanted to learn more about it.  Maybe it was because it was a field of study that was subjective, rather than one based on the opinions of the teacher.  

I've always been a natural student of English and Literature topics . . . writing, reading, etc.  I actually enjoyed doing term papers!  But a few years ago - in my mid 60s - I decided that it was time to stop avoiding Algebra (which I had never successfully completed in any college course).  I bought a copy of Algebra for Dummies and the accompanying workbook.  I didn't excel, but I accomplished enough that I stopped feeling that there was a gap in my education.  

(Pardon my late comments on the subject.  We just signed up for Netflix - pretty much JUST to see "The Crown" - and have just finished binge-watching it over a quiet three-days-in-our-pajamas Christmas celebration.)

Never too late. Season one is pure gold. 

• Love 6
On 2017-12-28 at 7:05 AM, AZChristian said:

When she was looking at those math papers, I got the feeling that she had an immediate attraction to the subject and wanted to learn more about it.  Maybe it was because it was a field of study that was subjective, rather than one based on the opinions of the teacher.  

I'm hoping you mean Objective, rather than one based on opinions. I think that's what is coming across in context.

6 hours ago, Anothermi said:

I'm hoping you mean Objective, rather than one based on opinions. I think that's what is coming across in context.

You're absolutely right . . . thanks.  Well, I made it to late into December before making my mistake for 2017!

• Love 4

I was quite taken with the parallel of Elizabeth seeking an education tutor, and George having used a speech tutor.

The wild goose chase for the red notebook containing the magic "trust" phrase would have been a horror for the staff.  It was also a sign of Elizabeth's insecurity.  She could have found any number of professors who would affirm the centrality of truth being crucial to a monarch.

Churchill would have made a very fine actor on stage had he chosen that path.  The portrayal of him at the audience confirms his stagecraft.  He was treasonous in his refusal to at least notify Parliament that he had been incapacitated.  So, he takes a tack of humility and appearing chastened before the young woman and walks away with his job and his status. 

It well could have been that Tommy was using the line in the sand as to staff succession to hide from Elizabeth his disdain for the immature Martin who was not ready for the job.  Had he insulted martin directly, the chasm caused with her would have been enormous.  Whichever motivation it was, he was in the right about Martin.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3
On 1/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I was quite taken with the parallel of Elizabeth seeking an education tutor, and George having used a speech tutor.

The wild goose chase for the red notebook containing the magic "trust" phrase would have been a horror for the staff.  It was also a sign of Elizabeth's insecurity.  She could have found any number of professors who would affirm the centrality of truth being crucial to a monarch.

Churchill would have made a very fine actor on stage had he chosen that path.  The portrayal of him at the audience confirms his stagecraft.  He was treasonous in his refusal to at least notify Parliament that he had been incapacitated.  So, he takes a tack of humility and appearing chastened before the young woman and walks away with his job and his status. 

It well could have been that Tommy was using the line in the sand as to staff succession to hide from Elizabeth his disdain for the immature Martin who was not ready for the job.  Had he insulted martin directly, the chasm caused with her would have been enormous.  Whichever motivation it was, he was in the right about Martin.

He would have been a great actor. Good thing no big crisis happened while Churchill and the other guy were both incapacitated.