Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: T-h-a-Thanksgiving

Drogo

I started watching this show a few episodes ago, all caught up now. I think this was the best episode yet. Lots of laughs and heartwarming moments. My favorite part was the Harold and Maude joke about JJ. "Yes, I do. Sorry society." The way Kenneth said it cracked me up. Then the two JJ's in the commercial at the end... great stuff.

• Love 4

This episode had me cracking up.

The line from Ray about the ulcer - "Then my acid reflux will have a friend!" and the way he said it just made me laugh so hard.

I couldn't stop laughing this episode.

• Love 4

"I'm the fancy bitch in this family." Had me rolling

I also loved the response to "douchey but not a brag"

"I don't think I poked, but if there was any unintentional poking..." and the way he said it also had me rolling. God this show really is the best.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2

The last few episodes have been so much better.  I think it is because they turned down Maya's controlling overprotective harpy mom of a SNK.  This one was actually a lot of fun.  Bad person alert: my family used to play bingo with the family annoyances but we could not induce the annoyances.  The first person to claim the annoyance got the credit.  It kept us entertained.   I used to do this on group conference calls too.  I did say I was a bad person :)

• Love 3

This was the first episode that missed for me, although I loved the "JJ is sick.  No, besides the CP.  No, the CP hasn't cleared up either" conversation.  Also loved that the dance was a medley so only counted as one.  Her hands were tied.

• Love 1

Another solid episode! This show has really come around from the kind of meh first couple of episodes. I think it helps that they have really worked to establish the characters, and make them more likable, and less annoying and jerkish than in the first few episodes. Yeah they were a little jerky in this one, but it was a more relatable kind of jerk, and they got called on it. I`ll admit it, my sister and I can engage in a bit of this sort of family mocking at family events, usually just the two of us making comments on the drive over of the quirky things are relatives say and do, and then we try not to look at each other when our relatives do those things and try not to laugh. Its all out of love of course, and I`m sure we do annoying stuff too, and thats why I liked this episode. I get it. 

• Love 1

Omg..Mason Cook was just killing it this episode! Poor Ray! I was actually angry at Kenneth for losing his cool and going off on Ray. Ray looked legit fearful. And he shouldn't be. Kenneth is JJ's caregiver. 

And all of JJ's facial expressions just had me rolling. 

I did find it odd at the store though...how calmly people were just standing in line. Especially in light of the fact that I just watched the "Black Friday" episode of Superstore. And having worked in law enforcement in years past when all the box stores opened at midnight....I can attest that people turn stupid and violent at that time. 

Jimmy's eye rolls at his brother are something that many of us can identify with. 

And although I've never used the "sick"excuse, I have used the excuse "I can't find childcare for my son". Which actually, is quite truthful and can be a double edged sword, especially missing upcoming holiday parties that i really WANT to attend.

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, neuromom said:

And although I've never used the "sick"excuse, I have used the excuse "I can't find childcare for my son". Which actually, is quite truthful and can be a double edged sword, especially missing upcoming holiday parties that i really WANT to attend.

We've used the sick excuse a few times - for a while for holidays, family events, etc. we would go to the house of my aunt who is 2 hours away from all of us... some times, we didn't want to drive 2 hours on a holiday, which made it closer to 3 hours in the car.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1

While I had hoped for more background on Jimmy's family (a bit of insight into what he and Billy were like growing up, any info at all about their parents, etc.), and I was a little underwhelmed by Billy's secret (his gambling losses and how he was offering unnecessary dental procedures to make extra money), I guess I could understand the writers wanting to keep things quick and lively rather than go deeper this early in the series. Also, I found this ep kinda dark and sour even compared with the "Halloween" one, and thought it could've used a few sweeter moments like Jimmy and Billy's backyard reconciliation talk. 

On the plus side, loved the casting of Bowie's old Upright Citizens Brigade pal Rob Corddry* as Jimmy's brother; even in their most tense scenes together, I thought John and Rob had a sweet, lived-in chemistry, and I hope we eventually get to see Uncle Billy on the show again (maybe sometime after Aunt Audrey has her baby, JJ, Ray and Dylan might get to meet their new cousin...).

I also thought putting Kenneth and Ray together was an inspired touch; the destroyed turkey may be a well-worn cliche for Thanksgiving-themed sitcom episodes, but this subplot did a great job of shedding some light on Kenneth's family life / background outside the DiMeos. (Plus, I still think it's funny that the ep never did have the characters actually sit down to dinner at any point.)

*- After this ep, I remember saying (on the now-defunct IMDb board) that I had hoped to see Bowie's real-life wife and fellow UCB vet Jamie Denbo on the show next, so imagine my delight when I saw her playing Janet the insurance agent in "Hero" a couple months later! :)

Edited by GRChereck