Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Ghost Gun

• Start Topic

Eric C Olsen has great comedic timing but he is such a wonderful dramatic actor. The scene w. Hetty at the beginning? You can see the heartbreak in Deeks' eyes. 

Roberta and Deeks are my favotite mother/son relationship on television. Eric and Pamela Reed have such great, organic chemistry. Hope to see her again (and Kensi's mom, Julia) as Kensi's recovery moves forward.

That end scene was just amazing and perfectly played my Daniela and Eric. 
Here's a post episode interview w. Eric about what's next for Kensi and Deeks! PS: It's great! 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, RandomMe said:

Of all times for my dvr to decide not to record the extra time that ran over from football. :-(

Go to @CBSTweet on Sundays and they'll tell you what time the episode starts - whether it's on time or a little late b/c of NFL 

Did Hetty ever end up telling Deeks that Kensi squeezed her hand? Or did he only find out through his mother and the doctor?

Anna was less annoying than usual, but I hope she doesn't stick around too long.

Watching that end scene again and I have to praise Daniela a little bit more . . . she didn't have any dialogue but made me tear up. It was all in her eyes that you could see her confusion, frustration, and fear. I can see why Eric said it's his fave scene shot this season, thus far.

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 2

God I hope this doesn't turn into Deeks and Kensi being back at square one! I mean, I get it. She's just waking up and it's going to be a long recovery (wouldn't be good maternity cover otherwise) and I appreciate the producers not showing her shrugging off those types of injuries. But at the same time, I don't want a full season of "leave me alone until I recover versus please let me help you". It took 5 1/2 years to get them to move forward and I'm really liking it so far. Please don't backslide.

That being said, the actors did a great job with it. Deeks mom is exhausting! No wonder he keeps her separate from his work life. I completely understand now why he didn't call her when he got shot. I'm wondering if ECO filmed most of those scenes in advance (meaning the shot at the office and outside the hospital, I know the ones in Kensi's room were pre-shot). I think this ep was shot around the time his new daughter was born and I assume he'd take at least a little time off.

Nice to see Carl again, although he does need to get shanked and soon for saying what he did about Aiden. Sam has far more self-control than I do. And yay, progress with the mole story. 

I thought more time had passed. Hetty's deal with Sec Def was for 90 days and today was only day 83. Meaning it's been only a week since she got back from DC? At least that means Kensi hasn't been comatose as long as I thought.

No real thoughts about Anna. I think she knocks Callen off his game a little, which is fun to watch. And Nell is loosing up about working with Granger. I liked her in the bike shop, taking the flirting in stride while Granger was getting more and more annoyed.

• Love 2

I have first-hand experience with someone fighting to come out of a coma and trying to get back into normal life. Kudos for the show for not just having her bounce back once she's opened her eyes. That last scene was painful to watch - but realistic. Looks as if there's still a long road ahead for her to recovery - also realistic. (My friend never made it completely back but this is escapist tv-land and I wouldn't want it any other way.)

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Holy crap Mama Deeks is irritating. I can see why he puts distance between them.

Awwwwe. LOL! I like Roberta, she's funny. She's eccentric . . . but, yes, I can understand why Deeks didn't put him down as his emergency contact. 

• Love 1

This is probably one of the only realistic comas I've seen on TV. I love that they have her saying a word here and there, moving here and there, but not totally conscious and aware all the time. Coma recovery takes TIME and most shows have people wake up like nothing ever happened and it drives me nuts (just like carrying empty coffee cups that are supposed to be full lol). I think Daniela's pregnancy actually forced them into writing this more realistically, so yay.

• Love 3

$10 says once Kensi is more aware, she's going to insist on no visitors until she's doing better and knows if she'll recover fully or not. I can see her not wanting anyone to see her limited (for lack of a better word). Deeks and maybe her mom excepted of course.

2 hours ago, arieswriting said:

I think Daniela's pregnancy actually forced them into writing this more realistically, so yay.

The research that's gone into this storyline is wonderful.  
It's like ECO said: Dani's pregnancy is the best thing that's happened to Densi. It's a plot that's been done before on many shows but it's the character driving that will elevate this one.

• Love 2

I actually didn't mind Anna terribly last night. I will say, though, that I kept tuning out parts of the case of the week and had trouble following it as a result. To me, that's usually a sign that it isn't a strong or interesting enough case.

However, I thought both the Sam and Kensi subplots were very good. Nice acting all around, with particular credit to Daniela--she was only able to mutter some incoherent words rather than have any actual lines, and I thought she was wonderful in expressing the confusion and horror of someone who has just woken up to her body not working the way it should. I'm also glad they clarified the timeline--they seem to be doing their best to portray comas in an accurate way, and having Kensi be in a coma for a month (rather than a week) and then back to duty within a season would have been pushing reality in a major way.

But at the same time, I don't want a full season of "leave me alone until I recover versus please let me help you". It took 5 1/2 years to get them to move forward and I'm really liking it so far. Please don't backslide.

I'm hopeful that they can be realistic about how Kensi, who has always been a fiercely independent able-bodied person whose career depended on prime physical fitness, will likely experience large amounts of frustration and depression during her recovery without leaving the actual relationship in jeopardy for an extended period of time. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

I'm hopeful that they can be realistic about how Kensi, who has always been a fiercely independent able-bodied person whose career depended on prime physical fitness, will likely experience large amounts of frustration and depression during her recovery without leaving the actual relationship in jeopardy for an extended period of time. 

Thank you, you articulated that better than I could. Kensi is going to hate this. Of that I'm absolutely sure and I would expect nothing less. I expect that she's probably going to push (and over-do) the rehab and she's probably going to refuse to accept that the limits might be permanent (although since DR isn't leaving the show, we know they aren't). As I said above, she probably going to refuse visitors now as she doesn't want anyone to see her less than 100% and I can't really blame her there. She's never let Callen or Sam so much as see her cry, let alone as impaired she appears to be right now. I just really don't want it to blow up her relationship with Deeks although I'm sure there will be conflict as they figure out their new (at least for now) normal.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

One slight nitpick/observation: Why are any of Kensi's doctors giving information about her health etc. to Deeks? He's not her next of kin or husband. I'm just going to hand wave that Julia told the doctors it was alright to talk to Deeks

I'm going with that Sam84. Or Kensi and Deeks were smart enough to filled out medical POA/HIPPA paperwork for each other. Deeks is an attorney who would probably think of such a thing and they both work a dangerous profession. I'd be shocked if NCIS didn't require that agents keep that kind of paperwork on file and updated yearly.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 2

I didn't freeze frame my screen to see that ;-)

Besides, just because Kensi listed her mom as a work emergency contact/next of kin, doesn't mean should couldn't have also authorized Deeks to hold a medical POA for her as well. 

Also, I've had more time to ruminate about Roberta. I think that for all she loves her son (and she does, that is clear), there is a reason she is kept out of his day-to-day life. She just can't handle it. I'm thinking that whatever her husband put her through it's had a lasting and damaging effect. I'm not saying she can't function as an adult but she clearly doesn't handle conflict well and appears to speak without thinking a great deal of the time. Which is funny when Sam wants his in-laws distracted over Christmas but not so much when someone is in the hospital. I absolutely understand now why Deeks didn't call her when he got shot and why I'd put money she's still not his emergency contact. I think Deeks loves his mom and would do anything for her but he is very much the adult in the relationship.  

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

Daniela Ruah was fantastic in this scene. Without words, Kensi’s frustration becomes palpable. She doesn’t know what is going on and can’t understand why her hand won’t work. Deeks doesn’t want to see her anxious but she is. She is sad and frustrated and overwhelmed. Kensi is not used to having physical weakness. Normally she is a strong woman who can control everything in her life. But now she finds herself in a heartbreaking situation where she is weak and has no control. This is clearly going to be a difficult road to recovery. 

Wonderful review by SpoilerTV/Tonya Papanikolas 

On 10/23/2016 at 10:57 PM, Samantha84 said:

Watching that end scene again and I have to praise Daniela a little bit more . . . she didn't have any dialogue but made me tear up. It was all in her eyes that you could see her confusion, frustration, and fear. I can see why Eric said it's his fave scene shot this season, thus far.

Am I the only one who sorta expected Kensi to mumble something like "Who are you?"  It's a tired predictable "go to" meme for coming out of a coma. I'm so glad they didn't choose to play the "amnesia card" on this one.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Am I the only one who sorta expected Kensi to mumble something like "Who are you?"  It's a tired predictable "go to" meme for coming out of a coma. I'm so glad they didn't choose to play the "amnesia card" on this one.

I didn't. The doctors were always worried about possible paralysis of her left arm and or leg

• Love 2