Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Mad City: Follow the White Rabbit

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Last week, everyone thought that hug between Oswald Cobblepot and Edward Nygma was surprisingly tender, but I don't think anyone actually thought Gotham would pull the trigger on a love affair between two male supervillains. 

*Cough* speak for yourself...

And I guess yeah, this is the very first compelling romantic subplot, because we all know Batcat is catshit.

On 10/24/2016 at 10:22 PM, mjc570 said:

This episode would have been much better with more Harvey and Butch.

I would love to see exactly what relationship Butch and Tabitha have now.   I loved their "romance" last season.

On 10/25/2016 at 7:18 AM, Danielg342 said:

My problem with the Batman Gambit is that, for it to work, Jim would have to assume at least one of the following:

• Jervis would question why Jim would betray Lee (no reason why he wouldn't, jilted ex and all)
  • Jervis would pick up that it's a feint and decide not to fall for it
  • Jervis isn't trustworthy and wouldn't respect Jim's choice.

And, as others have said, that Jervis wouldn't just shoot one or both dead.

Mario's dad is Falcone, for crying out loud, who's no dummy.  Tell him his son's fiance is in danger and he'd have both out in no time, and with Jervis a bright red smear on the floor.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

And, as others have said, that Jervis wouldn't just shoot one or both dead.

It would have been nice if, through his "tests", Jervis would be able to piece together whom Jim actually loved, or if Jervis had simply told an underling what his plan would have been. I feel that if this episode was a novel- where characters aren't needed to vocalize their thoughts- it would have been better.

4 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

It would have been nice if, through his "tests", Jervis would be able to piece together whom Jim actually loved, or if Jervis had simply told an underling what his plan would have been. I feel that if this episode was a novel- where characters aren't needed to vocalize their thoughts- it would have been better.

3rd person omniscient is always easier to follow.

ETA:
It's really a shame Nygma wasn't with or used in place of Gordon here -- he would have loved analyzing the "Trolley Problems" that Jervis was creating. 

Edited by jhlipton
Trolley Problem
7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

3rd person omniscient is always easier to follow.

ETA:
It's really a shame Nygma wasn't with or used in place of Gordon here -- he would have loved analyzing the "Trolley Problems" that Jervis was creating. 

Jervis's whole scheme here did actually seem very Riddler-esque. Although Ed probably wouldn't have been so rude as to insult Lee and Mario's crockery.

Sorry, I'm late to the party:

• bit of a tedious episode
  • i don't mind love triangle stuff when it's handled halfway-decently...this was not the case (which we ALL predicted)
  • counting down the days until Jim Gordon goes back to the gcpd because I have officially hit my limit with the lone wolf act. I miss the buddy cop antics of him and harvey.
  • another episode that proves Ben M. Is probably the weakest actor on the show. Sorry Ben, I'm sure you're nice and all that, but you're the weakest link on this show. I still think your best performance on this show was in Mad Grey Dawn. 
  • Chiklis with the super strength again! Lol! 
  • The penguin/riddler stuff seems to be a bit one-sided right now, for sure. And now Kringle's doppelganger has appeared! I wonder how many episodes she'll last until she gets offed.
  • classic Penguin! Telling a kid to push the others down the stairs if they don't like him
  • Jervis definitely has gone cuckoo for coco puffs. Some of his stuff was extra campy this week. Lol.

Favorite scene of the night: definitely Jim and Jervis' phone exchange. That had me laughing.

This season is really having a rough go of it in my opinion (with the exception of last week's episode and like one other episode). I enjoy Tetch well enough and I enjoyed the not!bruce stuff and Penguin's campaign has been fun, but some of the other stuff isn't as polished as last season. Sorry :P

On 10/25/2016 at 8:39 AM, Chaos Theory said:

"Going there" when it comes certain relationships is more complicated then others. Cobblepot and Nygma are both villains with a long line of villainy so they can hardly ride off into the sunset together.  The more likely and in fact more interesting scenerio is unrequited love that goes terribly horribly crazy and blows up the good thing they had going.

They also both have an established history of feeling deeply and not  reading people correctly.  I love this storyline.

On 10/26/2016 at 3:42 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Seems like they are going there with Oswald at least being in love with Nygma.  That's an interesting direction.  Of course, now Nygma suddenly bumps into this woman who looks like Miss Kringle, so that is going to cause some problems. Have to think she is a set-up of some kind.  Way too much of a coincidence.

Especially since she's done up like a Hitchcock Blonde - in fact an awful lot like Kim Novak in Vertigo - so, yeah, I'm expecting this to be a setup too.  Which could be a great storyline too  - blind obsessive romantic delusion.

• Love 1

Tired of watching innocent redshirts getting murdered every episode.  It's depressing as hell to watch incompetent "heroes" every week.

Why did they bring Lee back?  It feels very repetitive with her in danger yet again.  It's hard to feel any sympathy for Jim because his recklessness is what got them into this mess.  The plot on this show endlessly goes in circles.  It feels like a matter of time before Jim and Lee get back together, and it's hard to care.

Ed and Penguin would be an interesting couple, but there's no confirmation that Ed even feels the same way and now they've already thrown in a Kringle lookalike.  

I missed Bruce and Alfred.  

On 10/24/2016 at 10:22 PM, mjc570 said:

I also noticed (and was irritated by) the Lee/Vale thing - if they have to limit women's names to 1 syllable, couldn't they use "Val"? 

Also irritating:  Jim growling his dialogue.  Is Ben Sherman a really heavy smoker, or is that him emoting?

Since her last name is Vale, and Jim was calling her that--no, they couldn't use "Val."  Jim is just not that into her, and doesn't call her by a nickname.

Also, Jim Gordon is played by Ben McKenzie.  And I have no problem understanding him or appreciating him.  Jim remains one of my favorite characters, and his struggle to be good in the chaos is good to me.

On 10/25/2016 at 2:38 PM, Traveller519 said:

Though Robin Lord Taylor is openly gay and speaks quite eloquently about it, especially growing up in Iowa, I like how he's playing Penguin as almost asexual. His emotions for Ed are love, basically the same love he felt for his mother which would be the only other love we've really seen him emote. Perhaps briefly Fish early on, or his father last season. That's what's going to make it so much more terrifying when his love for Ed goes unrequited. And we all know how stable Ed can be when he's pushed over the line.

I agree that it's like a child's love, not romantic or sexual but filled with need and terribly vulnerable to rejection or criticism.  It is going to be even worse than when his mom died, I think, when it comes flaming down around him, since at least she always loved him.  Nygma is definitely not as into Oswald as Oswald is into Nygma.

• Love 1