Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Life and Limb

The actress resident who made the mistake in checking for arterial pulse seems like she might have a photographic memory - recalling chapter and verse of a textbook, which helps her graduate at the top of her class, but doesn't necessarily translate to knowledge.  

I like how Rob Lowe is playing his character.  He's not over the top, and he is capable of listening to other people. 

• Love 1

I love Rob Lowe and I think I'm liking Dr. Willis, but I think Parks and Rec and the few episodes of The Grinder that I endured have forever branded him for me. Every emotional high point made me just want to laugh - "She's not ready for the consequences of a mistake like this.....no one is" ... "You have to be a father now" "You're their captain - they need you to show them the way" - plus the cheesy dramatic music they're using in the background - I can't. 

And these new residents still feel so standard to me. Former actress is Izzy Stephens meets Lexie Grey. Millennial reminds me of the one from ER that went on to CSI (I'm so bad with names). Though I did enjoy that online detective work she did. That's something I would do.  Sugarbear reminds me of Angus last year. I like him the best I think. 

• Love 3

Tough Chick is basically exactly the same as the new intern on Night Shift that everyone pretty much hated. The only difference is that they're setting her as a heat seeking missle aimed at Malaya. 

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

I love Rob Lowe and I think I'm liking Dr. Willis, but I think Parks and Rec and the few episodes of The Grinder that I endured have forever branded him for me. Every emotional high point made me just want to laugh - "She's not ready for the consequences of a mistake like this.....no one is" ... "You have to be a father now" "You're their captain - they need you to show them the way" - plus the cheesy dramatic music they're using in the background - I can't. 

I was just coming to post almost the same thing.  Every speech Rob Lowe gives makes me think of the purposely awful, cheesy things he said as the Grinder. I keep expecting Fred Savage to pop in saying, "Really?"

This episode felt especially cheesy to me.  And how much time was supposed to have passed for the entire episode? Because that soccer guy sure made a very quick recovery from a life-threatening condition to major surgery to zipping around in a wheel chair giving inspirational speeches to his teammates.

• Love 2
On 2016-10-06 at 9:35 AM, TOWTooMuchTV said:

I keep expecting him to throw a nurse down on a gurney and start making out with her!

• Love 1

I loved Rob Lowe in the Grinder.  He played an actor who played a lawyer on a TV show, and believed that gave him the credentials to practice law.  He delivered cheesy lines with sincerity in a court room, and it was hilarious.  Now he's delivering cheesy lines in an ER.  I am having trouble NOT seeing him as an actor playing a doctor and believing that gives him the credentials to practice medicine.

• Love 5

This episode really seemed like a generic medical show to me — what unfortunately I thought would happen with the cast changes. Everyone and every plot plot feels to me like a recycled, abbreviated pastiche of something done earlier and better on ER or St. Elsewhere or Grey's Anatomy or Night Shift or even Chicago Med or a dozen other forgotten shows.

The one faint echo of the Code Black from last year was the lovely thread of the schizophrenic patient and his brother and the very moving trumpet solo of "Nature Boy" — that evoked the Lion King episode from last year and the best things about last season, for me, for just a moment. If there were more of that I might hang in with this show. 

• Love 1

I finally have to admit that this show is my guilty pleasure. I have missed ER (even the bad years) since it went off the air, and I still have a need for a Thursday night medical procedural at 10pm. (Even though I now DVR it.) It's not a complete hate watch like Blue Bloods, but ouch on how fast and loose they play with medicine and time. And yes, I also confused some of the characters on this and Night Shift.

I also miss Neal, who was a heart and conscience of the show. He gave it a moral center (as does Mama), and while Marcia Gay Harden could have chemistry with a tree, and she has good chemistry with Rob Lowe, I miss the folks they dropped.

OK. I'm out of the closet now.

• Love 4