Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Husband

Eric’s shocking past transgression leads Detective Cornell to interrogate him, revealing the first of Kate’s many secrets. Desperate to prove that his life with Kate wasn’t just one big lie, Amanda helps him search for answers. Despite her strong objections, Eric wants to bring his new findings to Detective Cornell. However, once he sees an ex-girlfriend – one of his worst nightmares – with Cornell at the police station, his hopes of redirecting her investigation quickly fade.

A couple of nit-picks -- Kate having her baby in Boone County, NC - there is no Boone County.  There is a town called Boone but it's in Watauga County.

Also, that map with the blackmail note was of Greensboro, NC, not Charlotte. 

Edited by LizDC

Eric continues to make himself look suspicious. I hope he gets smarter soon.

Awfully convenient for John to just track down the birth certificate for Kate's baby.

I pretty much don't trust anyone on this show, but Neil seems especially shady.

• Love 3

I'm kind of loving Cornell's smug tone when dealing with the husband and his family - "Did you have an open marriage?". 

The husband is looking pretty stupid with the things he's trying to hide (blackmail, stalking, etc.).  I was leaning towards him being innocent in all of this.
He was also stupid with turning his back on an apartment that was broken into.

• Love 2

It seems unlikely that Eric never considered the possibility that Kate was paying the extortionist. Eric seems obsessed with Kate's past, not with her murderer. The only bit of evidence suggesting he's not guilty I think is the absence of the cards for the speech. 

Eric did so many dumb things this episode. He's definitely on the Ben Crawford train of "Let's Do everything to make me look guilty!" Not listening to your attorney sister is number one. So there's no way that baby she was pregnant with is Eric's right? That would be the one thing to surprise me. 

Neil is shady but it would be too obvious if he's the guilty party I think. 

• Love 4

I really dug the Ben Crawford shoutout.  So, everyone realized he was innocent, but he was murdered in prison.  That's gotta burn, Cornell.  I really like this season better for not being so obvious, not having children in it (I'm not sorry that I couldn't take Abby's creepy attachment to Ben nor the adult child living in the guest house, which no surprise that he couldn't get poor Ben released), and having a better interaction with the characters and Cornell.  I loved the impression of Cornell that Amanda did in the elevator.   I'm finding Eric a bit smarter than Ben, but not much.  At least he isn't drugging himself to recreate the night of the murder.  Yet. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

Eric did so many dumb things this episode. He's definitely on the Ben Crawford train of "Let's Do everything to make me look guilty!" 

I know right! Maybe there is a class on how to look guilty to the police and they both took it!

• Love 1

I like that Cornell is annoyed with them because they are rich and have connections. The Crawfords couldn't call in favors and have her boss there while questioning someone. This is a different family and dealing with them will be difficult. 

• Love 2

Nothing Eric says or does will keep Cornell from making him the prime suspect. He's the husband, and he was on the roof. That said, the only thing that he's done that might be considered really thick is speak to Cornell without a lawyer. I can't quite follow the logic where providing evidence of a blackmailer hurts him with Cornell. It seems to me it provides evidence of another nefarious person, also known as a potential suspect for sundry crimes. The break in at the desk just draws suspicion to someone at the firm. And the first person there is of course Eric. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Nothing Eric says or does will keep Cornell from making him the prime suspect. He's the husband, and he was on the roof. That said, the only thing that he's done that might be considered really thick is speak to Cornell without a lawyer. I can't quite follow the logic where providing evidence of a blackmailer hurts him with Cornell. It seems to me it provides evidence of another nefarious person, also known as a potential suspect for sundry crimes. The break in at the desk just draws suspicion to someone at the firm. And the first person there is of course Eric. 

Thank you. I didn't understand, outside of general legal advice, why his dad was so insistent that Eric not speak to the police, even going so far as to physically bar him at the station. The blackmail could be seen as partially exculpatory, and hiding it/lying will only bolster Cornell's original suspicions of Eric.

• Love 2

I think it's far fetched that Cornell immediately suspected homicide, but didn't do a forensic examination of Eric - nail scrapings, bruises, scratches, etc.. She also allowed the prime suspect unfettered access to the victim's office and home, before police search.  

On October 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

Eric continues to make himself look suspicious. I hope he gets smarter soon.

Awfully convenient for John to just track down the birth certificate for Kate's baby.

I pretty much don't trust anyone on this show, but Neil seems especially shady.

I agree. I'm sure John had Kate investigated when he saw how serious the relationship was getting.  

Can anyone briefly remind me of how season 1 ended? I know there was a shoutout in this episode to Ben Crawford dying in prison, but can't for the life of me remember. Didn't his daughter end up being the culprit? Did he confess to save her? Way too long between seasons.

I'm behind the 8 ball, I let all these build up on the DVR and am just getting around to it. Its alright so far.

Yeah, the younger daughter was a psychopath who killed the little neighbor boy (Ben's biological son from an affair with Natalie Martinez's character) -- I think simply out of irrational jealousy/rage -- and Ben confessed to keep Cornell from arresting the girl. The finale's "Cornell Confidential" clip (which only aired on web/app and On Demand) was an epilogue in which Cornell meets with the older daughter, who's just turned 18 and so can no longer be prevented by her mother from being interviewed by the police. We learn from their dialogue that Ben had died in prison (though not how), and the daughter willingly gives Cornell the statement that leads to her little sister's arrest.