Type keyword(s) to search

Allied (2016)

SeanC
  • Start Topic

Paramount released a new trailer mere hours after the divorce news was announced and the affair speculation was rampant. Klassy!

I saw a Youtube commenters joke, "I'm starting to think that Brad Pitt won WW2 by himself." Heh.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

Directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Steven Knight. The film stars Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard, Lizzy Caplan, Jared Harris and Matthew Goode. The film will be released on November 23, 2016.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:45 AM, Athena said:

Directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Steven Knight. The film stars Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard, Lizzy Caplan, Jared Harris and Matthew Goode. The film will be released on November 23, 2016.

Not to mention Simon McBurney playing another proper Brit you'd like to punch in the face.

Maybe it's just me, but I just never bought Max's angst over whether Marianne was a Nazi or not. The pub scene near the end was the closest. I don't know if it was Pitt's acting choice, but he was just flat.

On 11/8/2016 at 3:56 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Not to mention Simon McBurney playing another proper Brit you'd like to punch in the face.

Boy, the trailer was not misleading in that regard.

I present a deleted scene from the ending of Allied:

Spoiler

INT - MI-6 INTERROGATION ROOM

Enter SIMON MCBURNEY, JARED HARRIS, and BRAD PITT.

MCBURNEY: "So, Mr. Pitt, on reviewing Mr. Harris' report on the case of your wife MARION COTILLARD, who turned out to be a German spy, V Section would like to go over the contents with you."

PITT: "Alright."

MCBURNEY: "So, having been informed by us that we suspected your wife to be a spy, and that within 72 hours we would have confirmation on this point by giving you a piece of fake intelligence..."

PITT: "Can I just ask, if you believe my wife has been gaining access to work-related materials through me, why did you inform about any of this in advance? It seems like that could only potentially compromise the investigation. Why not just give me some fake information and wait for her to access it via whatever means she supposedly normally does this?"

MCBURNEY: "Shut up."

PITT: "Okay."

MCBURNEY: "Having been informed that your wife was potentially a spy, you immediately began acting very suspiciously around her..."

PITT: "Like I said."

MCBURNEY: "....and then proceeded to break operational security by informing your sister LIZZY CAPLAN that your wife was potentially a spy and that we were conducting a blue-dye operation to flush her out, and then inviting CAPLAN and her gay lover CHARLOTTE HOPE to a party where they would both interact with COTILLARD, despite the fact that CAPLAN is not a spy and has no training in concealing her emotions, as further evidenced by the fact that she and her lover openly flaunt their lesbian relationship at work-related events even though this is the 1940s and that would get her cashiered out of the military pretty quickly."

PITT: "Correct."

HARRIS: "As an aside, why were those characters present in the story? They contributed nothing to the narrative."

MCBURNEY: "Yes, that is a mystery. Now, after inviting your sister to the party, and having been advised by us not to conduct your own investigation into this matter, you proceeded to conduct your own investigation, first by interviewing a witness, only to discover that he was blinded in action and thus unable to identify your wife's photo, and then by illegally ordering a pilot flying a mission into Dieppe to have a member of the local resistance ID the picture instead. The pilot, mistaking this for official business, waited around past the point where he was supposed to, and was then killed by the Germans."

PITT: "Poor kid."

Brad then looks gloomily off to the side, so you know, yeah, he means it.

MCBURNEY: "Now, having invited your sister to the party, your wife immediately determined that she was acting suspiciously, and confronted you about this. After that, and having been informed by Mr. Harris that you recklessly got a man killed, you then went to the same base again, which for some reason you still had access to despite your insubordination..."

HARRIS: "Bit of a cock-up there, I'm afraid."

MCBURNEY: "....and illegally relieved a pilot of his infiltration mission so that you yourself could fly an unauthorized mission into Dieppe to contact the man in the Resistance."

PITT: "Yep."

MCBURNEY: "On arriving in Dieppe and shutting off your plane, contrary to procedure and in full knowledge that lingering just got a pilot killed, you learned that the man you wanted to see was in jail for drunkenness. You then enlisted the entire local Maquis cell to break into the jail on false pretenses, seeing as one imagines they thought this was an official mission from the military. You killed a German patrol, shot up the place, and left the drunken man in the cell after interrogating him, meaning that the Germans presumably know he's a Resistance member now."

PITT: "He's probably being interrogated right now. Thankfully he was only in charge of all landing sites for SOE infiltration in the Dieppe area."

MCBURNEY: "Finally, on using information gleaned from this man to determine that COTILLARD was in fact a German agent, you threw your lot in with her and believed her story about having been forced to be a spy by threats to your child, even though the only conceivable reason the Germans would have placed her undercover in the first place was so that she could infiltrate us in the exact manner she ended up doing, and thus none of this could have been a surprise to her. You then murdered the other members of her spy ring, despite the fact that we wanted to capture them and learn what they knew, and then the two of you attempted to flee the country by stealing a government aircraft. You were stopped by Mr. Harris at the last second, at which point your wife committed suicide and Mr. Harris ordered all the other officers present to lie and say that you killed her yourself, as we ordered you to. Mr. Harris, how did you expect anyone higher up to believe that cover?"

HARRIS: "Eh, worth a shot."

MCBURNEY: "And finally, Mr. Pitt, after all this, you relocate with your and COTILLARD's child to Medicine Hat, Alberta, where she will most likely grow up to be a member of the Conservative Party."

Pitt lights a cigarette, and blows a smoke ring.

PITT: "Damn straight. 70 years from now, Justin Trudeau will be too busy taking selfies to lead the country properly."

MCBURNEY: "Well, this whole affair was a gigantic cock-up on the part of everyone involved. Normally I would have you executed for high treason, Mr. Pitt, but you're just too damn handsome. Dismissed."

END SCENE

• Love 2

We need to get you script-doctoring Stat, SeanC.

20 minutes ago, SeanC said:

as further evidenced by the fact that she and her lover openly flaunt their lesbian relationship at work-related events even though this is the 1940s and that would get her cashiered out of the military pretty quickly."

Eh, I figured they wrote that off as being 'Canadian'.

19 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Eh, I figured they wrote that off as being 'Canadian'.

Incidentally, as a Canadian, I did enjoy that they made the main character one of us (and for no particularly obvious reason; I'm sure they could have found some reason to have an American SOE operative, and the whole movie is set following the USA's entry into the war; maybe they just wanted to say "Medicine Hat" a lot).

15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Maybe it's just me, but I just never bought Max's angst over whether Marianne was a Nazi or not. The pub scene near the end was the closest. I don't know if it was Pitt's acting choice, but he was just flat.

Boy, the trailer was not misleading in that regard.

I have always found Pitt to be flat and wooden. Never really enjoyed him as an actor. I will be seeing this for Marion. 

• Love 2

I thought this was really good. Got very suspenseful towards the end, and emotional.

I thought the chemistry between Marion and Brad was alright and both were good in their roles. The Lizzy Caplan role was weird to me. The baby was so cute.

On 25. 11. 2016. at 11:31 PM, AimingforYoko said:

It wasn't just you. I just saw it and I didn't feel this, what I imagine was supposed to be, fatal love between them. Kind of a let down, because with all those rumors about their on set affair, I hoped it would translate on screen.

Frankly, I found the movie unsuspenseful for the most part, until Pitt returned from France, basically. And that's 10 minutes until the end.