Type keyword(s) to search

Too Close To Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I waver between whether the acting or writing on this show is worse...so many clunky lines delivered SO awkwardly! Because I'm twelve, I giggle every time JB mentions his load. 

The road trip with Annie and the roommate was the first time she didn't totally annoy. She wasn't whining and begging the entire time. They aren't going to hook up, are they?

I wonder what the deal is with the mom and her trailer's mystery smell.

Brock O'Hurn...completely obvious but I really don't care.

• Love 3

Already renewed for season 2!

Tyler Perry's Too Close to HomeRenewed for Season 2 at TLC

Coming off strong ratings for its series premiere, TLC has ordered a second season of its first scripted series, Tyler Perry’s Too Close to Home for premiere in 2017. 

Launched in partnership with corporate cousin OWN, the drama series reached 4.2 million viewers in its premiere airings across TLC and OWN. The August 22 premiere showed a nearly 50% increase among women in L+3, according to Nielsen,  and propelled TLC to its highest-rated Monday in more than a year in all key women demos. On Twitter, Too Close to Home was the #3 drama series in primetime.

Wow at finally meeting the mama. I was expecting her to be sick.

Victor had a death wish and wanted to push buttons walking into that bar.

Finally shown that the one teen girl is Anna's she abandoned. The teen boy then must be Shelby's. 

• Love 2

For some crazy reason, I like this show.  No matter how bad the acting and writing and directing is, I keep getting drawn in to these TP productions.

The mom... Wow!  She is mean and depressed at the same time.  Anna's daughter is mean too but she has more of a good reason.

Poor Victor but he poked the bear, multiple times, after being warned...  His bad.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FairyPrincess said:

Poor Victor but he poked the bear, multiple times, after being warned...  His bad.

TRIED to poke the bear(s) anyway.  Bless his heart, that boy ain't right in the head.  

This episode lost points for not having Brody getting in/out of the shower.

• Love 3

This show is the worst I´ve ever seen; the acting, the writing, the directing.... They´re all the worst. Especially the acting though, I think. But I kind of enjoyed the first episode since it jumped over the line of being so bad that it´s good. But I didn´t even finish the episode, it was sooo long. And all the scenes were much too long. Who´s this Tyler Perry guy who makes all these crap movies and shows? Why is he allowed to do this?

The scene where the president was getting it on with Anna was hilariously un-sexy, and I think the prize for the worst actor of the series should go to him. I couldn´t believe that Beelzebub-looking thing was Heather Locklear either, I had to go to imdb to check it out and I was surprised... Even she was clunky and stiff but by far she played her role better than anyone else there.

So yeah, this is my opinion of this show, I won´t be watching any more but I appreciate the feeling of having now seen something that is so bad that it´s good.

• Love 1

From the blatant opening music ripoff of Sons of Anarchy this series went downhill fast.  Yep TP has no concept of portraying anything near close to human relationships.  The story lines are predictable and paper thin.  The actors cannot make a purse out of this sows ear.

Really the problem with momma is being fat?!   If she is being cleaned all the time why does she stink? And Brody or whatever the eye candy's name is probably is the worst actor of them all.  Every cliché is used for the characters.

I had hope for a second this would be a decent series to watch but then again the bar for me is set real low for entertainment value (Gypsy Wedding, any of the Howives shows, etc).  Not sure I can continue.  Does TP hate Alabama?

• Love 1

music ripoff of Sons of Anarchy

Thank you! I've been trying every week to remember which show that sounded like that opening theme.

3 hours to the ambulance and they have to beg for it and it still is refused? Where in Alabama are they supposed to be?

• Love 1

Victor wakes up and still has no filter to realize it was he mouth that got him beat up in the first place.  He is lucky Brody is Brody and not like anyone else in the town.

I  find Bonnie too approving of Annie's choice to leave town. She abandoned her child and left her behind without a glance back or sending money for her, left that to fall on everyone else especially Bonnie and Bonnie's cheering pompoms for Annie still? 

• Love 2

Everything that is so awful about this show seems to be why I can't stop watching. Most of the acting is pretty bad. The writing is lame. The plotlines are ridiculous. The pacing is horrible. Cliches abound. Yet I can't look away. i can't help liking some of the characters. 

I love that the sisters all have different accents. Heck, all the Alabamans, who apparently grew up together in that park, have different accents ranging from "none" to "parody."

i laughed my ass off at the good doctor trying to open up the son-of-bitching walrus. Ad infinititum. Daddy, stop. Daddy, stop. Daddy, stop. And at the EMTs telling Fabio over and over that they couldn't take Victor because they just got a call about a guy who had severed his leg with a chainsaw. Yeah, we gotta get going. We can't take your guy. You HAVE to. We can't. You HAVE to. The EMTs casually pack up and saunter out as a guy is bleeding out somewhere down the road. Probably three hours away. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Everything that is so awful about this show seems to be why I can't stop watching. Most of the acting is pretty bad. The writing is lame. The plotlines are ridiculous. The pacing is horrible. Cliches abound. Yet I can't look away. i can't help liking some of the characters. 

All of this!  And for some reason I look forward to it every week.  All of the TP shows are poorly written but for me this is the second best.  First is HAHN but If Loving You is Wrong is just painful for me right now.

I'm interested to see what happens in the finale this week because I could have sworn I heard the Doctor say that he was one of those girl's father in episode 3 when he was in diner naked.

Victor makes me angry.  No one would wake up with a barely patched hole in their side and still be able to hit on some guy, I don't care how hot Brody is.

• Love 2

Wow, so Shelby and Annie's kids are fathered by the same man. Which Bonnie had dead children with too? Either their father/stepfather/boyfriend of their mothers'.

Bonnie looks like shes for sure getting a bullet.  Unless they're horrible shots.

I really do hope the FBI come for JB. 

• Love 1

This show is so ungood, the acting, the pacing.............just bad, yet I watched every episode. I kind of liked Bonnie and Brody even though the Brody actor is so stilted. But then he saw Anna and I was like Bonnie's right dude still likes the sister but maybe its just that guys acting that's throwing me. I like Bonnie I'll probably tune in to see if she gets killed or not. Can't stand most of the DC people but it might be the acting that turns me off so much.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the premiere. The scene with the sheriff trying to question Shelby and JB was hilarious with them just admitting things.

So Annie's pregnant with the Presidents baby I presume. I laughed when she pulled out the box with more than one test in it. I guess in Happy, Alabama they just keep pregnancy tests under the sink like it's toothpaste. LOL

Bonnie needs to just stand up and stop being the martyr. Take the man you want.

I liked the introduction of the new people of the trailer park. 

Dax is cold wow. Deporting the parents even?

• Love 3

I didn't realize Brody owns the restaurant too. He owns a lot of property.  Bonnie should be a tad nicer since he owns her home and is her boss. 

Brody also should have ordered them to clean the trailer, since he is the owner of the property. Before the Sheriff had to get involved. 

Glad Shelby told Rebel the truth, someone had to. Yet Annie's mad at Shelby for it. The other 2 were what? Going to keep quiet while she dated her nephew? Annie is stupid beyond reason.

• Love 3

I take it that this show isn't all that popular on this board for obvious reasons. Too bad! Because it's actually pretty good.

I came here just to see if people like this show.  Often I see previews of shows that I'm not interested in, but this is the first time I have seen previews that make me decide to avoid a show no matter what.  Looks completely awful to me.

• Love 3

This is absolutely train wreck, so-bad-it's-good watching. I started watching for Brock O'Hurn (Brody)'s hair, but it has gotten out of control, and with that out of control beard it is too much. The acting (for the most part) is terrible, and the characters are written so inconsistently that I am getting whiplash watching them go back & forth (Valerie & Shelby especially). I like Octavia - and hope she does not veer any further into sassy black neighbor territory - Frankie, Tina, Bonnie - although she needs to stand up for herself more - and, of course Caitlyn, played by the queen, Heather Locklear. 

• Annie is an idiot. On so many levels, in so many ways. 
  • Dax & Victor are ridiculous. Brody should have let them kill each other. I was amused when Dax was acting evil (mostly at the actor's acting attempts), but a true villain would have kept his cool when goaded by Victor. 
  • Why is the sheriff so involved in Jolene's trailer mess? Like Artsda posted, let the property owner take care of that shit. He has a lot more going on in his town, like a pedophile roaming about hanging out with teens and providing them with beer, an unsolved murder, a drive-by shooting in which the shooters themselves ended up dead, to name a few. And instead of taking JB & Shelby into custody after they admitted to theft & transporting drugs, he tells them to come to the station to talk to him, ya hear? I mean it! And he continues to remind them every time he sees them! Not to mention, he knows it is just a matter of time before the media comes back. I don't care how close you are to the family or how inexperienced you are in these matters, you are going to reach out to the White House for further instructions and advice. 
  • Rebel? Really? I don't think that even in BFE Alabama people name their kids Rebel. Dogs, yes; children, no.
  • Speaking of Rebel, she sneaks out of the trailer while her whole family, the sheriff, neighbors, and prison trustees are cleaning her grandmother's trailer and no one sees her? Why did Mack follow her to meet Eli rather than getting an adult? They were all there. I realize teenage boys are not the most logical thinkers, but he seemed to realize last week that Eli is bad news, and believes he is their father, so knows that Rebel plans to marry her half-nephew? Lawd! Take Rebel's phone away & make the kids help clean.  
  • Love that there were only like a dozen reporters at the press conference regarding the POTUS' health - too funny!
  • Yuri coming out from the behind the tree literally made me laugh out loud. I now refer to him as Ninja Yuri because he is dressed in all black, and no one ever seems to notice him lurking about. 
  • The neighbor cheating drama is boring, but I am interested in learning what the story is with Frankie.  
  • I love Valerie's wardrobe. 
  • If JB harms Dr Daddy in any way, I will be pissed!!

Believe it or not, I am not hate watching; not yet anyway. Waiting for Heather Locklear to do her thing - it had better be good! 

• Love 1

Another wonderfully trashtastic episode. Brock O'Hurn couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, but he's man candy, wild beard and all.

I have a mixture of pity/disgust for Jolene. I hope Frankie is a good enough therapist to help her and her daughters. Guess we'll get more of Frankie's backstory next season, and I'm looking forward to it. I found myself cheering when Bonnie ran over Eli. He's one of the most disgusting characters ever. I hope Bonnie gets a damn good lawyer, because the 'he needed killing' defense definitely applies here.

JB is a pretty good villain, but I agree he better not harm Dr. Daddy. Dax & Victor are beyond ridiculous; I cringe every time they appear on screen and hope the actors invest in acting lessons during the off-season.

Edited by bittersweet4149
  • Love 1

JB better not have killed the Dr! 

I'm kind of disappointed on the cheating revelation, they built it up and she beat up Shelby who didn't do anything instead of slapping Regina. 

I'm glad Bonnie ran him down, claim it was an accident. It's not like the sheriff charges anyone with crimes to begin with. 

Dax and Victor are annoying they've been having the same fight for episodes. Go back to DC!

I feel like it's going to be this one long day forever.  Now the President shows up at the trailer. lol

• Love 1

Question: Is Heather Locklear supposed to look so bad? She look like a swollen faced Botox/filler mess.  I think she has a drinking problem on the show, so just wondered is she's supposed to look  bad or if that's just how she looks now.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Artsda said:

That's how she looks now. She was on Fresh off the Boat this week and looked the same.

She was back to rehab last month, so I'm guess these episodes were taped before the rehab stint.

Thanks! I've been googling and anything recent looks pretty similar.  Maybe it's booze bloat.  It's not that she looks old, just altered.

• Love 1

The whole season kind of dragged but that episode sure escalated quickly. Particular JB and his daddy. Hope the doctor is ok. 

I can't with Dax and Victor,,,,the acting, the story, its painful to watch. Then adding Brody? Uffa...rough. 

I actually liked all the sister scenes. Usually Annie and Shelby annoy me, but they really weren't half bad. Still like Bonnie so I hopefully she doesn't get arrested like everyone else in that town. 

The DC scenes I paid no attention too so I'm not really sure what happened there. 

This show is so bad, it was harder for me to watch it this year, but for some reason I had to see it through. 

• Love 1