Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Shafe, alone at the bloody Tate crime scene, is confronted by his own demons. As Manson searches for a missing Emma, he ends up on Hodiak's doorstep. Meanwhile, Ken Karn goes to new levels for international diplomacy.

I see they've decided to burn the episodes off on Saturday now.  The old Hannibal spot!

At least they came in grand form.  Really haven't had any Hodiak/Charlie interactions this season so far, so that was fun seeing them somehow both have fun with each other and intimated each other at the same time.  I'm sure most of it is both of them trying to play each other, but I think they get a kick out of one another, more than they care to admit.

I actually enjoyed the Shafe stuff.  It sounded like he served with Kristin's brother in the war, and that's how he ended up meeting her.  And he had actually been addicted to heroin before, so this was why he fell back so quickly and hard, and why Kristin didn't seem all that surprised by it.  At least it's all out in the open now, but I have to think he's in for a somewhat rough time.  If nothing else, the flashforward sure does show that.

Ken's now sleeping with the Vietnam Prime Minister (?)  Oh, Ken.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I see they've decided to burn the episodes off on Saturday now.  The old Hannibal spot!

Yeah, I guess they sent the show here to die.  Too bad, because I've really been enjoying it, but I guess once the cover the Manson murder story, they probably don't feel there is much story left to tell, butI think I could still enjoy it once the Manson stuff is over since I really like the cast/characters.  

I also was entertained by the Manson/Hodiak stuff.  It was the most interesting part of the episode for me, but the scenes with Shafe and his wife were quite good too.  The bit about the old Ukrainian women and their insurance scam was also pretty fun.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Fable said:

...The bit about the old Ukrainian women and their insurance scam was also pretty fun.  

Yes, I've seen that plot before (I think on The Closer) but they did a fun take on it in this episode without it taking up too much time, so it was good comic relief.

• Love 1

I guess there is a lot of wheel spinning going on, but I'm genuinely amused when any show uses a Charles Manson musical duet as a plot point. 

And I truly have no clue as to why we are supposed to care about Ken's hijinks, or the utter ridiculousness of Ken's penis being key to the disruption of the Paris Peace Talks. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

...And I truly have no clue as to why we are supposed to care about Ken's hijinks, or the utter ridiculousness of Ken's penis being key to the disruption of the Paris Peace Talks. 

The only reason for that plot arc that I can imagine is to make some sort of statement about how forcing gay professionals to be closeted lead to bad choices in partners (like Charlie).

• Love 1

The true lesson here is that Kens issue isn't that he likes to sleep with men, its that he likes to sleep with extremely inappropriate men at the worst times ever. 

Gosh yes.  For me, I just feel like the show is all over the place.  There are a lot of secondary plotlines, but the only guiding force is the Tata-Labianca murders, which seems like a pretty thin reed for the show to center itself around.

• Love 3

...And I truly have no clue as to why we are supposed to care about Ken's hijinks

You mean besides the entertainment factor? It is true that Ken's back door shenanigans seem to serve little purpose with regards to the larger viewpoint of the show, but Ken is second only to Hodiak in terms of being an entertaining character. Which is saying something when Charles Manson is a character on the show. Granted, TPTB seem determined to create the most boring Charles Manson ever, but still, good for Ken.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 4

"I was an altar boy. Don't quote scripture to me and pretend you came up with it."

I absolutely loved the scenes between Hodiak and Manson. Manson is absolute scum and I feel nothing but contempt for his existence but damn if I didn't smile when he and Hodiak were singing together and he twirled around while playing his guitar. There was also a moment where Gethin Anthony made this twitchy facial expression which I swear I've seen the real Charles Manson make before. It sincerely freaked me out in its accuracy.

Another thing that freaked me out? The last flashfoward with Shafe hallucinating the bodies of the Tate victims. This show has its fair share of problems but they have absolutely been nailing the exact right tone of nightmare fuel for the murders. I have a feeling American Crime Story will tackle that Tate-LaBianca murders eventually, and I think whoever has been directing those scenes on this show should offer their services to ACS when the time comes.

• Love 3

When Hodiak and Manson were playing guitars, the camera kept panning over to Hodiak' gun sitting out in plain view of both of them. I got the impression that Sam was watching Manson watching the gun, and that was what caused Sam to end the jam session with the excuse that he had to work in the morning. 
Did anyone else interpret that scene that way (or differently)?

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When Hodiak and Manson were playing guitars, the camera kept panning over to Hodiak' gun sitting out in plain view of both of them. I got the impression that Sam was watching Manson watching the gun, and that was what caused Sam to end the jam session with the excuse that he had to work in the morning. 
Did anyone else interpret that scene that way (or differently)?

That was exactly my impression, Shapeshifter. I've deleted the episode, but it seemed that Hodiak was able to gage Mansion's escalating and then barely contained rage as he eyed the gun. Not a moment too soon IMO. 

• Love 2