Type keyword(s) to search

Mornings Are for Coffee and Contemplation: A Chief Hopper Appreciation Thread

• Start Topic

I liked him much more than expected. That first scene of him hungover on the couch I thought 'oh great, a typical hick sheriff.. this guy is going to be a douche' and then he was actually pretty awesome.

• Love 4
On 8/10/2016 at 2:56 AM, Kalliste said:

I liked him much more than expected. That first scene of him hungover on the couch I thought 'oh great, a typical hick sheriff.. this guy is going to be a douche' and then he was actually pretty awesome.

Same here. I think he was a very compelling character and Harbour did a great job playing the role. 

• Love 2

I did say "hey, it's that guy" when he first came on screen. I really liked David Harbour in The Newsroom and various other TV shows and movies. He has a really solid presence, and just seems to have this innate trustworthiness and decency.

That's why I didn't dismiss him as an alcoholic deadbeat, I immediately knew that there's no way they'd hire this guy just to play the useless cop who gets in the way of the intrepid kids. The vibe I got was of Bruce Willis in The Last Boy Scout, a guy who has been beaten down so much that he's so close to defeat, but he just needs the right push to completely turn it around.

And I really respect how open Harbour was in the Reddit AMA he did, talking about personal issues he's had regarding self esteem and depression. He also seems so happy about the success of the show and the opportunities it's bringing him.

• Love 5

Season 4 really emphasized what a good cop Hopper is. He was preactically semi-functional in season 1 and he was still doing his job admirably, being inquistive, suspicious, asking the right questions. Powell, while less cartoony of his two deputies, really can't hold a candle to him as Chief. As frustrated as she was with him, I think Flo would be relieved to have him back in charge.

• Like 1
  • Love 1