Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Breaking Dad

Mary makes an Amish meal as an attempt to bring peace and togetherness to the group.  Meanwhile, Jeremiah hangs out with his kids in New York City; Rebecca discusses her bakery job with Abe; and Sabrina has a special date.

Sick of Abe going on and on about how he doesn't like that Reeebecca is working. I get the whole "man wants to provide" thing, but Abe has almost no earning power. And they have two children. If he wanted to be the sole breadwinner, he should have either gone to school or developed some sort of skill he could take to the bank; or they could have chosen to not have kids so their expenses would be far lower. Or he could get dentures for a fraction of the price of this futile total-mouth reconstruction which will require further expensive upkeep for his entire life.

Sabrina ordering dessert for dinner was crazy to me. Then again, Jeremiah ordered what looked like a side dish for his meal, so I'm not sure WTF those dingbats were doing at that restaurant. 

Kate really does come across as ridiculously shy at the internship. She may be an introvert who isn't getting time at home to recharge because her house is occupied by eleventy billion hillbillies who argue nonstop. I feel bad for Kate but girl, be assertive. Tell them to GTFO and stay in a hotel. The network would have to pay for it, anyway.

• Love 1

This episode just proved to me that Sabrina expects everything to go back to the way it was just because she claims she is clean.  And all should be forgiveness and light.  And her idiocy when complaining about Abe & Rebecca comparing her to Andrew (who's still hooked) just emphasized that.  Sabrina, they owe you nothing, not even the benefit of the doubt.  But Sabrina is forever the victim, so she'll never see it.

And holy mixed messages, Batman Jeremiah!  Though I think Jeremiah likes knowing Sabrina has a thing for him and has no problem encouraging it (even if the date was producer-driven), no matter what's going on in his life (girlfriend/kids/etc).

• Love 4

Anybody else wonder if they really are staying in a hotel and just spend time at Kate's and pretend to sleep there?  I noticed Jeremy was in a hotel with his kids.

One thing that bugs me is all the drinking Mary does...with a son who is a drug addict.  She certainly isn't setting a good example for all of her kids who could get caught up in all kinds of addiction.

• Love 3

I guess the restaurant was so expensive that TLC would only pay for a dessert and Mac and cheese for Jeremiah and Sabrina. You could easily see how awkward she felt on her "date", knowing Jeremiah already had a girlfriend. It was a nice thought but I guess the producers are running out of ideas for this show. Also, wasn't Mary buying steak at the grocery store rather than hamburger or did I miss that? 

This was all taped last fall before Christmas so no wonder the timeline is confusing. I read somewhere that Sabrina got her daughter back in May and she is pregnant (not sure how far along now) again, same father though they're not together now. Jeremiah married his wife in April, she is the same age as him and she has 4 kids, and they live in Vancouver, which is where she's from. Though if you google Amish Donuts on Facebook, he's been going to fairs all summer long selling his donuts along with Mary and Katie Ann in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Maybe the donut stand is his summer job and the reality show is his fall/winter  job. Same with Abe, he drives a truck for a living except when he's off for a few weeks to film this series. Not sure what Sabrina does for a living but Katie seems to work non-stop in addition to going to school. I guess she agreed to this season to help her pay the tuition.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, hawkhd said:

A good home-cooked Amish meal of Sloppy Joes...

I was expecting some awesome meal made from scratch. Instead we see sloppy joes, peas, and green beans with melted cheese on top. What the hell kind of a combo is that? And lets not forget Mama Amish complaining that the kitchen was too small. 

Sabrina is so weird. Stand up straight and wash your damn hair, girl. Learn how to shop for some decent clothes and stop acting like you were raised by wolves. She looks and talks like she's stoned out of her mind to me.  

• Love 4

I had to laugh out loud when Abe and Rebecca showed up at Jeremiah's hotel room to see the kids. All three of those kids were clearly excited to see Abe - they squealed his name, threw their arms around him for a hug. It made me like Abe for just a second. Then about the time they mentioned Reeeebecca, all 3 of them literally turned their backs and didn't even acknowledge her. Hahaha!!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Cabarb said:

I had to laugh out loud when Abe and Rebecca showed up at Jeremiah's hotel room to see the kids. All three of those kids were clearly excited to see Abe - they squealed his name, threw their arms around him for a hug. It made me like Abe for just a second. Then about the time they mentioned Reeeebecca, all 3 of them literally turned their backs and didn't even acknowledge her. Hahaha!!

To be fair, they'd never met Rebecca (based on the conversation), and they had met Abe. When they'd met him, who knows.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I guess the restaurant was so expensive that TLC would only pay for a dessert and Mac and cheese for Jeremiah and Sabrina. You could easily see how awkward she felt on her "date", knowing Jeremiah already had a girlfriend. It was a nice thought but I guess the producers are running out of ideas for this show. Also, wasn't Mary buying steak at the grocery store rather than hamburger or did I miss that? 

This was all taped last fall before Christmas so no wonder the timeline is confusing. I read somewhere that Sabrina got her daughter back in May and she is pregnant (not sure how far along now) again, same father though they're not together now. Jeremiah married his wife in April, she is the same age as him and she has 4 kids, and they live in Vancouver, which is where she's from. Though if you google Amish Donuts on Facebook, he's been going to fairs all summer long selling his donuts along with Mary and Katie Ann in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Maybe the donut stand is his summer job and the reality show is his fall/winter  job. Same with Abe, he drives a truck for a living except when he's off for a few weeks to film this series. Not sure what Sabrina does for a living but Katie seems to work non-stop in addition to going to school. I guess she agreed to this season to help her pay the tuition.

He also was hitting on some other lady (co-star) while filming some movie and got fired for it. The now wife says they have been working through things. Makes you wonder what kind of person she is to stick with someone like Jeremiah when he has a rap sheet full of domestic violence among other things and will jump at the chance to screw around with someone else the second he thinks he can. Did she maybe think he was getting big money from this show or something? I haven't seen how far along Sabrina is either but just the fact she slept with her abusive ex again and got pregnant just screams making bad choices still. And not sure either what she does at all to live. I know she was living with her parents for awhile during all her mess so maybe she is still living there but not sure how she is supporting herself and her daughter otherwise outside of this show. I can't imagine its enough money to last for a year or more. I haven't been able to watch this episode yet. Will try to tomorrow but sounds like more of the same old stuff. I said it before but I wouldn't be surprised if the gang of them were put up in a hotel during the filming in NY. There is no way in hell they all stayed at Kate's that whole time.  

3 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

One thing that bugs me is all the drinking Mary does...with a son who is a drug addict.  She certainly isn't setting a good example for all of her kids who could get caught up in all kinds of addiction.

Good point there. Maybe she doesn't realize how it comes across at all to everyone else but it could come across as either someone with a drinking problem or someone that is trying to act like a young 21 yr old...which is creepy. I am thinking though that maybe someone should explain to her some things about addiction. 

8 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Kate really does come across as ridiculously shy at the internship. She may be an introvert who isn't getting time at home to recharge because her house is occupied by eleventy billion hillbillies who argue nonstop. I feel bad for Kate but girl, be assertive. Tell them to GTFO and stay in a hotel. The network would have to pay for it, anyway.

I don't know if she is really shy or not but more that she is just done with doing this show...at least this is how I have taken it from what she said on Twitter. She seems she wants to move on with her life and as far from this show as possible. 

• Love 1
On 8/8/2016 at 0:59 PM, ClareWalks said:

I wonder if she's really shy or if she's just a non-actress done with the fake BS lines and stories she's supposed to follow to show this "internship".  I don't doubt she's part of the team and learning about fashion off-camera.  But I don't believe for a second that any of the jobs we see her doing on camera or the conversations with her co-workers are real and spontaneous in any way.  She doesn't look shy as much as she looks like she's trying to decide what her next response was supposed to be and what fake emotion the producers told her to show in this scene.

• Love 3
On 8/8/2016 at 6:24 PM, riverblue22 said:

Anybody else wonder if they really are staying in a hotel and just spend time at Kate's and pretend to sleep there?  I noticed Jeremy was in a hotel with his kids.

So this is going to sound super stalkerish but I'll blame my curiosity on NYCers always keeping their eyes open for good apartment deals -- I agree that these guys are really staying in a hotel and I also doubt that Kate even lives there.  

I recognized the surrounding (in the West Village) and figured out the building. No matter where I look on the internet, the building is often listed as a multi-family home and I can't find one iota of evidence that the individual apartments have ever been publicly rented out.  I doubt that Kate, this relative newbie to NYC, knows how to finagle her way into a (supposedly privately listed) 1BR apartment in this beautiful building (which btw was officially designated a landmark) in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan. The rent for this apartment has to be $3000/month AT THE VERY LEAST and I think Kate is very capable but I don't think she'd be able to swing that price tag despite her modeling and fashion line. And she doesn't strike me as someone who would blow her reality TV money on expensive rent. 

I'm betting that these guys are either in a hotel or that the producers have secretly rented out the whole building for them but they're pretending to smush themselves into just one of the apartments during filming.

And that's my conspiracy theory for the day lol

• Love 3

I'm really surprised how this show manages to stay on the air.  The Amish/Mennonite culture, despite it's general simplicity, is pretty interesting.  But this show.  Ugh.  It's like watching paint dry.  There's nothing special about seeing people fight with each other--about the same damned thing over and over and over.  

And honestly, the sloppy joes were a real disappointment.  Mary, that's the best you can do?  And here I was hoping for an Amish cooking show spin off--"Mary's Mennonite Mealtime Mayhem".

This show annoys me but I keep watching!! I don't know why. I guess on some level I find these people interesting.. even though I know so much is completely scripted.

I think I have to actively deeply dislike people in order to stop watching a show... and I'm not there with this bunch. They are all so quirky in their own ways- they make quite the motley crew.

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 1

I agree.  They really are quite a collection of characters.  I never gave another thought to the Amish on later shows but somehow Jeremy, Abe, and Kate have stuck in my mind.  I do feel bad for Kate--she is so ready to move away from this mess.  And Sabrina was early on my favorite, but I'm not sure she is going to be able to manage her life.  I wish they had more to offer us than arguments--that could drive me away.

• Love 1
On 8/10/2016 at 7:56 AM, JoJoPowerRanger said:

I recognized the surrounding (in the West Village) and figured out the building. No matter where I look on the internet, the building is often listed as a multi-family home and I can't find one iota of evidence that the individual apartments have ever been publicly rented out.  I doubt that Kate, this relative newbie to NYC, knows how to finagle her way into a (supposedly privately listed) 1BR apartment in this beautiful building (which btw was officially designated a landmark) in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan. The rent for this apartment has to be $3000/month AT THE VERY LEAST and I think Kate is very capable but I don't think she'd be able to swing that price tag despite her modeling and fashion line. And she doesn't strike me as someone who would blow her reality TV money on expensive rent. 

I thought they were supposed to be living in Brooklyn? Not that they could afford an apt there, either.  What exactly does Abe do for a living that he thinks he can afford for Rebecca to stay home? 

25 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought they were supposed to be living in Brooklyn? Not that they could afford an apt there, either.  What exactly does Abe do for a living that he thinks he can afford for Rebecca to stay home? 

I was definitely assuming Brooklyn too when I first saw the place based on the gates and the building style, but then there was an episode where Sabrina and Kate went to a restaurant I like called Adoro Lei (also in the West Village) and it appeared as if they walked there. So then using my creepy internet spy skills (as well as remembering a few other things near them such as a Manhattan Mini Storage and a Park Fast), I figured out the West Village building. 

I won't post the address in case Kate miraculously does live there, but here is the building on Google Maps street view:

west village building.jpg

And I totally agree that they wouldn't be able to afford a BK apartment either lol

I've read Jeremiah's Twitter page and he admitted that this was not Kate's apartment where they were doing the filming. I wonder if he's going to get in trouble with the producers for putting so much stuff out there. Someone else said on his page that Kate was just doing this show to get recognition for her brand as a fashion designer. It's been rumored she's dating an older doctor, one who did a rhinoplasty on her nose since she had something like a deviated septum. He and Kate got into a fairly long argument via Twitter to the point where he claims he won't be on the show with her again.

• Love 1