Type keyword(s) to search

Pawn Stars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Parkinson's is a dreadful disease. Dr. Toothbrush's grandfather died of it over a decade ago, and we are both seeing signs of it in his mom, who turned 70 last week. She said her doctor has told her she does not have it, and I hope that is true.

We watched the tribute to the old man last night. Very nice; he was obviously well-loved & well-respected, not only by family of course, but Gold + Silver employees, experts, and production company & network employees. Poor Rick looked gutted. One of his sons' faces was blurred in family pictures; wonder what that's about. 

We watched the tribute to the old man last night. Very nice; he was obviously well-loved & well-respected, not only by family of course, but Gold + Silver employees, experts, and production company & network employees. Poor Rick looked gutted. One of his sons' faces was blurred in family pictures; wonder what that's about. 

• Love 2
On 7/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, Toothbrush said:

Parkinson's is a dreadful disease. Dr. Toothbrush's grandfather died of it over a decade ago, and we are both seeing signs of it in his mom, who turned 70 last week. She said her doctor has told her she does not have it, and I hope that is true.

We watched the tribute to the old man last night. Very nice; he was obviously well-loved & well-respected, not only by family of course, but Gold + Silver employees, experts, and production company & network employees. Poor Rick looked gutted. One of his sons' faces was blurred in family pictures; wonder what that's about. 

Maybe the one that was cut from the will?

15 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

Maybe the one that was cut from the will?

That's what I figured when that story came out. I know it's absolutely none of my nosey-ass business, but I would love to know the reasons behind it. 

On 8/6/2018 at 6:40 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

There were reports that the son in question was written out of the Old Man's will, although they don't specify why.

Given the way that section of the will was worded, it sounds like he may have some sort of drug or alcohol problem.  And the Old Man didn't want to give him any money to spend on it:

“I would like to express my love and affection for Christopher Keith Harrison,” the will reads, “however, for purposes of this Will, I have intentionally and with full knowledge failed to provide for him and his issue.”

https://pagesix.com/2018/07/17/old-man-from-pawn-stars-cuts-son-out-of-his-will/

Anyone else hear reports that Pawn Stars is cancelled?  I think there may be one more season already filmed.

Edited by rmontro

I can see them not wanting to do it anymore.   The show was about the family, father son, grandson.   With the Old Man gone, part of it is missing.   

Plus Rick has so many other irons in the fire now.   He developed that whole area into Pawn Plaza.   There's a bar, Chumlee has a candy store, other stuff.   They don't need the show anymore.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I can see them not wanting to do it anymore.   The show was about the family, father son, grandson.   With the Old Man gone, part of it is missing.   

Plus Rick has so many other irons in the fire now.   He developed that whole area into Pawn Plaza.   There's a bar, Chumlee has a candy store, other stuff.   They don't need the show anymore.

Not just that, but half the people on the show just want a free appraisal on their stuff.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:30 PM, rmontro said:

Anyone else hear reports that Pawn Stars is cancelled?  I think there may be one more season already filmed.

On 9/4/2018 at 5:27 AM, merylinkid said:

On 9/4/2018 at 7:11 AM, funky-rat said:

Not just that, but half the people on the show just want a free appraisal on their stuff.

The old man was nicknamed "The Appraiser" because he knew the value of items right off the top of his head.  

If you look at his life, he is the exact definition of the American Dream:

-- Driving a school bus at age 14 to help support the family

-- Joining the Navy and then re-enlisting for the medical benefits for his daughter, who died at age 6 from Down's Syndrome

-- Retiring from the Navy with full benefits

-- Opening his own business

-- Finishing his career as a successful business owner and TV reality star

Pretty cool, really.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 7
On 9/4/2018 at 2:18 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

The old man was nicknamed "The Appraiser" because he knew the value of items right off the top of his head.  

If you look at his life, he is the exact definition of the American Dream:

-- Driving a school bus at age 14 to help support the family

-- Joining the Navy and then re-enlisting for the medical benefits for his daughter, who died at age 6 from Down's Syndrome

-- Retiring from the Navy with full benefits

-- Opening his own business

-- Finishing his career as a successful business owner and TV reality star

Pretty cool, really.

There hasn't been one new episode since June and that was the old man tribute. Before that the last actual episode was late May so we are coming up on 6 months without a new episode which is a long time for a show like this.

2 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

There hasn't been one new episode since June and that was the old man tribute. Before that the last actual episode was late May so we are coming up on 6 months without a new episode which is a long time for a show like this.

I worry that @merylinkid was correct in stating that the cast members have so many other things going on that they don't need to do the show anymore.  

The early seasons are the most fun to watch.  When we could imagine that the guys were really coming in to work every day, and there just happened to be a camera crew on hand to record the more interesting transactions.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2018 at 4:07 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

I worry that @merylinkid was correct in stating that the cast members have so many other things going on that they don't need to do the show anymore.  

The early seasons are the most fun to watch.  When we could imagine that the guys were really coming in to work every day, and there just happened to be a camera crew on hand to record the more interesting transactions.

Yea, but you would think a show like this would get some kind of send off I noticed even the reruns seem to be on a break for it. Looks like they are coming back next week but they haven't been airing them either.

Watched last night for the first time in a very long time.   Man this show has gone downhill.     The new format is weird with the segment with Rick talking some history thing in some weird outfit.    They had to call in a "buddy of mine" to assess everything when they used to know it.   Everyone wanted too much money so few deals were done.

Then they brought in Rick Dale.   WOW.   He has NOT aged well.    He's gotten a lot fatter.    He just looks like he is falling apart.   So sad.

I don't think I will be tuning in anymore.   It used to be the quirky things that were brought into a pawn shop.   Now it's just .... I don't know what it is.

I didn't think Rick Dale looked that much different, but maybe it's just me.  Yes, they're calling in more experts, and that is a little irritating.  I like the hour long format, but could do with a few less history lessons from Rick.

I don't mind the new format too much, but it seems like everyone is asking for way too much money. I realize it's all staged, but the producers should have the seller ask for a price more in line with the actual value. The back & forth has always been one of the most irritating parts of the show to me anyway, and lately everyone seems to think they have the Holy Grail of baseball cards, ancient Roman coins, vintage toys, etc. 

Rick Dale maybe looks a little bigger, but all-in-all pretty much the same. The restoration work he did on the Elgin bike with wood rims was exceptional; he really knows his stuff. The coral Rosary from the Spanish shipwreck was exquisite. 

Some of the supporting players-- Rick Dale, The Count, and others.  I know that Pawn Stars made them famous, but I wonder if that was really a good thing?

Rick Dale especially-- he seemed perfectly happy running his small family business with his wife and his son before they became reality TV stars.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

Some of the supporting players-- Rick Dale, The Count, and others.  I know that Pawn Stars made them famous, but I wonder if that was really a good thing?

Rick Dale especially-- he seemed perfectly happy running his small family business with his wife and his son before they became reality TV stars.

Not sure.  It gave Rick Dale the money to expand and modernize his business, so that's a positive.  His shop employees seemed to be the ones who weren't really comfortable with being on TV - especially the one cantankerous man whose name I forget.  I don't know if he really was that much of a jerk, or if he had a bad edit.  I miss American Restoration - I really enjoyed it - but it had reached a point where the show format was more of a Pawn Stars/Counting Cars clone than it's own show.  There was also a time or two (or more - can't recall for sure) where he was forced in to dealing with the guys from American Pickers, when History was doing a bunch of cross-over stuff (one was when they were getting The Old Man's dream car, and it crossed from Pawn Stars to Pickers to Restoration to Counting Cars).  Every time, he seemed genuinely annoyed with Mike and Frank.  So in the end, he might have decided that it wasn't worth the money vs. hassle for his own show, but ultimately decided to appear on the odd episode of Pawn Stars.

Johnny - the guy who used to be on the show for the toys that came in was arrested for Domestic Violence and he hasn't been seen since.  Rebecca the book lady moved away from Las Vegas.  I don't think the Tortuga Trading guy (I sell antique arms and armament!) has been on in some time either, or Jesse the guitar guy.

Count seems to be happy with the way things went ,and there was recently a new season of Counting Cars.  I do miss Rolli, though.  He wasn't on the last season.  I know some people who went to Vegas.  Couldn't get in to Gold and Silver Pawn (I know a number of people who couldn't).  Couldn't get in to Rick's Restoration (no one answered at the gate).  But they did get in to Count's, and they said it was awesome, and the people were awesome.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

His shop employees seemed to be the ones who weren't really comfortable with being on TV - especially the one cantankerous man whose name I forget.  I don't know if he really was that much of a jerk, or if he had a bad edit. 

Cowboy!  I think he kind of enjoyed being the curmudgeon on the show.  I liked watching him get more and more annoyed at the people around him.

• Love 1

I miss Jesse the guitar guy. He is so knowledgable about music & obviously has a deep love for it. Same with Rebecca & books. 

As much as I like the autograph authenticator (Steve?) & understand he is one of the most respected in the field, I miss the days when Andrew used to come into the shop with a big satchel & pull out a huge magnifying glass to study he signature. So awesomely low-tech! 

We saw Professor Phineas (Steam Punk Asian history expert) on another show. Not a reality show, a documentary-type show that I can't recall at the moment. 

Hope the Beard of Knowledge never goes away. I love him! And I would love for him to have his own show. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been offered to him & he declined; he doesn't seem the type to be interested.  

• Love 1

Saw the most recent episode where Rick takes possession of his fully restored fire truck.  The last half of that one was like an episode of Lifestyles of the Rick and Famous.  Rick shows off his off the grid property with the water driven generator that he built himself (or so he says).  Rick's a smart guy, so I wouldn't doubt it.  Beautiful looking place.

I don't know why he had the fire truck painted red.  I know that's a more popular color but I kind of liked the original greenish yellow, it was something different.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, Toothbrush said:

Hope the Beard of Knowledge never goes away. I love him! And I would love for him to have his own show. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been offered to him & he declined; he doesn't seem the type to be interested. 

Beard of Knowledge is retiring as Clark County Historian.   Apparently the show has been good for him.   He's in demand as a lecturer.   He still plans on appearing on the show but will have more time to write.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/clark-countys-historian-turned-celebrity-mark-hall-patton-to-retire/article_8d22a906-a171-11eb-9bf2-1bb9a607d8e2.html

On 4/20/2021 at 7:55 AM, merylinkid said:

Beard of Knowledge is retiring as Clark County Historian.   Apparently the show has been good for him.   He's in demand as a lecturer.   He still plans on appearing on the show but will have more time to write.

Yeah, I don't think that would affect his appearances on the show, I'm sure those are scheduled well ahead of time.  If anything, he'll probably have more time to be on the show.  

Regarding the "Pawn Stars Do America" shows, I really like the format of them traveling around doing the Antiques Roadshow bit.  But the two hour episodes are just too long, too much of a good thing.  I'd rather they split them in half and show one hour each week.

• Like 1