Type keyword(s) to search

HBO Confirms That Game Of Thrones Won't Return Until Next Summer, And Will Be Only Seven Episodes Long

• Start Topic

Anyone know if this shortened 7-episode season is the first half of the final season? Like how they split the final season of Mad Men into two? I'm just really hoping for more than this...

20 hours ago, hks said:

Anyone know if this shortened 7-episode season is the first half of the final season? Like how they split the final season of Mad Men into two? I'm just really hoping for more than this...

From what I've read the plan is two more seasons of 7 and 6 episodes respectively. The reason for the shortened episode count is that the set pieces as we enter the climax of the series are so big they literally need the same amount of time and budget that went into filming ten episodes just to film seven episodes (ex. Battle of the Bastards took over a month of filming all by itself, not even counting post production work, and they want to go bigger next season).

As it is they were still working on the last episodes of season six (polishing the effects and such) when the season began airing... that's how tight their production times are. They are literally producing the equivalent of three to four feature films in a single year's time when a typical film of this nature has a development and production cycle of two years or more for a single film.

My hunch too is that we'll probably end up with more over-length episodes next season as well (i.e. 55+ minutes in length) so that the final production length will probably be more like almost eight regular length episodes.

• Love 4