Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Noooooooo.  Aw Kato.  Happy for Danell's silver (grumble should've been gold).  Hope he finds redemption in High Bar as well.  After being the poster boy for US men in London I'm glad he's been able to fly under the radar a bit.  I agree with @DawnDavenport, the men were disappointing but I'm glad Danell and Alex got something in their strongest events.

I'm also glad David Belavsky snagged an EF medal.  Finishing fourth in AA is the worst, I'm glad he got something.

• Love 1

Well, not that I think the present system is so flawless, but I remember issues watching the 10.0 system too. Like people would get a 10 and then someone clearly better would come, and what do you do?, and it just all smelt rotten. Maybe it's all unfixable.

Trying to take the generous view: these 3 men did seem to be the best today, and they're all getting medals.

• Love 1
Just now, Daisy said:

Was there even an issue with Gymnastics scoring? or was it a pre-emptive strike? Because I know people go "Well how did a 10.0 system worked, and i'm like how should I know but it worked since the dawn of time until they changed it. 

The issue was just the multiple scoring messes in Athens for the men. The all-around issue, I believe there were questions about the rings final, and high bar as well. I don't think the entire system needed to be overhauled but I believe the IOC told the FIG to clean it up and try to make it more objective by '08. 

I do think the 10.0 system was hamstrung but the ever increasing difficulty with the code. By 2004, it was very difficult to do a 10.0 vault and no gymnast had 10.0 start values on every event. Vault was especially bad for the women, as very difficult and rare vaults were devalued substantially so everyone was essentially doing 9.8, or 9.9 vaults with very few exceptions. It was nicknamed the Death Code for a reason.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

It's probably due to her antics in '99. Plus, she was a very inconsistent gymnast. She was pissed she didn't get to do AA in qualifications in Sydney, despite the fact that she should have known there was no way she was getting anywhere near the beam there. She was also pissed she wasn't chosen for bars in quals. as well. That's why she lost a 0.1 on floor in the team final. It was an FU to Bela and she forgot to salute the judges at the end. 

Wasn't she good at bars? I remember that made no since they used her in team finals. Looking back that was totally Bela being like Fuck you to Jamie. I do remember her dad was injured in Sydney after the competition. 

1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

The issue was just the multiple scoring messes in Athens for the men. The all-around issue, I believe there were questions about the rings final, and high bar as well. I don't think the entire system needed to be overhauled but I believe the IOC told the FIG to clean it up and try to make it more objective by '08. 

I do think the 10.0 system was hamstrung but the ever increasing difficulty with the code. By 2004, it was very difficult to do a 10.0 vault and no gymnast had 10.0 start values on every event. Vault was especially bad for the women, as very difficult and rare vaults were devalued substantially so everyone was essentially doing 9.8, or 9.9 vaults with very few exceptions. It was nicknamed the Death Code for a reason.

Wasn't there a whole thing with Cheng Fei not medaling on floor because she went OOB?

8 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Wasn't she good at bars? I remember that made no since they used her in team finals. Looking back that was totally Bela being like Fuck you to Jamie. I do remember her dad was injured in Sydney after the competition. 

Wasn't there a whole thing with Cheng Fei not medaling on floor because she went OOB?

I think guess she was OK, but while she flew really high, she always seemed to muscle everything to make everything so big. It wasn't elegant at all. Chow and Ray were superior bar workers. It's unfortunate Chow had a mishap and Ray hopped her dismount. They both should have been in finals and could have medaled. I don't think Jamie would have necessarily medaled or made finals since that was probably the most competitive apparatus that Olympics.  

Edited by DawnDavenport
1 minute ago, choclatechip45 said:

We thought that about Pommel Horse instead we saw the final that has no US medalists in prime time.

Of course.  That was a gamble, they showed floor with the inclination that either Sam or Jake was going to medal.  Stupid doofus network.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

i don't know why i always forget that they had the issues in Athens. 
that's true. I don't know, I guess i just hate what we've got now, i am nostaglic for the old days i guess. 

Just now, kittykat said:

Of course.  That was a gamble, they showed floor with the inclination that either Sam or Jake was going to medal.  Stupid doofus network.

They keep propping up Sam as the Golden Boy, so of course the final with him is going to be shown.

They keep propping up Sam as the Golden Boy, so of course the final with him is going to be shown.

Maybe they are referring to his golden brown skin and certainly not his gold medal winning gymnastics.

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

I think guess she was OK, but while she flew really high, she always seemed to muscle everything to make everything so big. It wasn't elegant at all. Chow and Ray were superior bar workers. It's unfortunate Chow had a mishap and Ray hopped her dismount. They both should have been in finals and could have medaled. I don't think Jamie would have necessarily medaled or made finals since that was probably the most competitive apparatus that Olympics.  

Just checked they used Dantzscher in team finals over Maloney. 

By the way 2004 Olympics the US strong on bars and weak on vault/floor exercise how things changed in four years.

Maybe they are referring to his golden brown skin and certainly not his gold medal winning gymnastics.

Oh how I wish. Seriously Leyva should have been the golden boy these past 4 years. Whoever USA gym won't let that happen because he never did NCAA or train at the OTC.

2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Just checked they used Dantzscher in team finals over Maloney. 

By the way 2004 Olympics the US strong on bars and weak on vault/floor exercise how things changed in four years.

Right. Maloney was a two-time National Champion and finished 1st or 2nd at trials, I don't remember so of course she was going to do all 4 events in qualifications (her bars were not that great). So you had Maloney, Ray, Chow, Dawes, Schweikert on bars I believe which to me is fair. 

9 minutes ago, Elsydeon said:

Until someone starts beating Sam Mikulak domestically, I think we're stuck with him. :(

Right. Maloney was a two-time National Champion and finished 1st or 2nd at trials, I don't remember so of course she was going to do all 4 events in qualifications (her bars were not that great). So you had Maloney, Ray, Chow, Dawes, Schweikert on bars I believe which to me is fair. 

I trust your judgement. So I take back what I said about Bela doing that as a FU to Jamie. 

3 minutes ago, greendog78 said:

Until someone starts beating Sam Mikulak domestically, I think we're stuck with him. :(

Hopefully Yul Moldauer and Akash Modi can beat him. Just warning everyone for the next few years Yul is teammates and good friends with Tim Dagget's so if Tim keeps his job we will be hearing a lot about how great Yul is. 

• Love 1
Just now, choclatechip45 said:

Hopefully Yul Moldauer and Akash Modi can beat him. Just warning everyone for the next few years Yul is teammates and good friends with Tim Dagget's so if Tim keeps his job we will be hearing a lot about how great Yul is. 

OMG. I totally made a bad joke about Hope Solo beating Sam. You meant beating him in domestic meets, not domestic violence. I sincerely apologize for the bad joke.

4 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

OMG. I totally made a bad joke about Hope Solo beating Sam. You meant beating him in domestic meets, not domestic violence. I sincerely apologize for the bad joke.

No worries! You've given me a nice history lesson of the '97-'00 quad. Too bad social media wasn't invented it would have been a shit show. 

Courtney talking about floor excercise gives me bad flashbacks to '04 TF.

Edited by choclatechip45
Just now, Daisy said:

Tinkler gets 14.9 
#TearsofNoMedals For China.

yah, here's Simone. 

And China officially leaves it at two Team bronzes.  If we're going by medal counts they're tied with US (1 silver, 1 bronze).

What would the Big 4 of MAG be?  Japan, China, Russia, Great Britain?  I can't quite add US until they start walking the walk.

Yeah!!! Simone. She has the best form on floor. Pointed toes and full splits on her leaps. Combine that with her incredible amplitude in her leaps and tumbling. She should win the floor in a landslide. Aly is a great tumbler, but  her leaps are terrible. No amplitude, poor extension, and no toe points.

• Love 4

Last night, I sat watching the beam routines, wishing athletes still took risks getting on the beam like when I was a kid. Then, Sanne performed, and I fell in love with gymnastics again. Beautiful, risky, no ugly squat-and-spin turns. Just long lines, risks that gymnasts no longer feel are "worth it", and that dismount that reminded me of the great gymnasts of the past. 

Sad for Ponor, though. I still think the Sydney Olympics had the most fucked up gymnastics ever. From the misalignment of the vaulting horse that ended it for Khorkina to the stripping of the AA gold over fucking cold medicine. If that lost AA medal really did signal the end of it for Romania, that sucks. (Although I have my doubts about that claim by the melodramatic twosome on NBC, since they still took gold and silver.)

Aliya was lovely on the bars.

As the last few Olympics have unfolded, I have found it more and more odd that Americans used to talk so much shit about Eastern European programs, then raided them for the coaches who ran those programs. 

Thinking of 2000 and Nemov now...

• Love 3

Jim Watson: "I don't like that people were EXPECTING her to win five gold medals. No one has ever done that. She has three golds and a bronze--that's spectacular!" Between that and Jon saying yesterday that an Olympic medal is an Olympic medal and it's great--no judgment--I give our livestream commentators major props.

Also love Jon asking self-proclaimed "dumb questions" about women's gymnastics to Courtney.

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 16
Just now, pivot said:

Yeah!!! Simone. She has the best form on floor. Pointed toes and full splits on her leaps. Combine that with her incredible amplitude in her leaps and tumbling. She should win the floor in a landslide. Aly is a great tumbler, but  her leaps are terrible. No amplitude, poor extension, and no toe points.

I bet without the ankle injury in 2014 that set her back a little bit, that she would be throwing a double-double layout as her first pass. Maybe she can add it after Rio. That would be so cool.

• Love 2