Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E15: Blood and Guts

• Start Topic

Good to see that the Northwestern was repaired and that the pots were full when they got back out to them. A funny thing struck me, though. After the NW powered up, headed out, and immediately had that hydraulics problem (which wasn't that bad, they hand coiled for a few minutes while the coupling was changed out), either Sig or Edgar asked "what's wrong with this trip?". It was one of those exasperated "are we jinxed?" kind of moments. The Disco editors took the opportunity to cut to Mandy a couple of times. Were they not so subtly putting the idea out that they think she's could be the jinx? That annoyed me.

• Love 3

And the worst is yet to come on NW.  It was looking so good for them when they were hauling those super full pots.  Did they mention if they off loaded the crab in the tanks when they went in?  I didn't hear any mention of it, but when they got back out Sig said that they hadn't pulled any pots in 14 days, but there was also no concern over crab dying in the tanks.  I wonder if the processor will take an emergency delivery. 

On the repeat where they use the little pop-ups, they said Sig got an emergency off-load and noted that he is insured against drastic dead loss.  However, on The Bait, Sig said they had no crab on board when the fire happened. 

• Love 2

Thanks pally.  I wonder which it was, not on board or emergency off load.  Either way, I'm glad they didn't have that to worry about.  I didn't know they could insure for drastic dead loss, but since they do I'm not surprised Sig has it.  And where would that boat be without Edgar.  His problem solving skills really impress me.

• Love 1

Best part of the episode was Per sucking up the cod intestines.  He came up with the idea and was a trooper about it.  I'm liking him a lot this season.

Love seeing Edgar as the hero.  Was it as bad as it was portrayed?  I don't know anymore (given the editing that's done) but Edgar just gets it done when it comes to the engineering part of the boat.

The bait guys on the Wizard was just confusing.  Or maybe I just don't care all that much.

Poor Phillip on the Wizard.  Notice Jon called him Axel and corrected himself.  Typical Uncle...or parent.  Liked it.  My mother would go through the list until she got the 'correct' child.

Mostly enjoyed the Bait.  Liked that Jenny Dwyer was nervous and being real.  Also liked that she is now the boss.  I give her a lot of credit and kudo's for what she has been through dealing with a spouse that had ALS and then taking over the business of two fishing vessels.  She's done a really good job with the business and her son. 

Oh geez Zack.  What 'do' you want?  Please your father or 'do' you really want it?  I don't know. 

Sig:  Stop trying to make Mandy happen.  I just don't really care all that much.  Yeah, she's going to maritime school, etc. and I know you're a proud father but.... I'm just not feeling it.  I guess it's because Mandy has her own sense of arrogance about her capabilities on deck.

Love the Fortner report and his man cage in the garage.  It's all about a football field.  I can relate.

• Love 2

I am not surprised there is insurance for massive dead loss.   It's a real possibility.    Insurance company gets their premium (and I am sure it is pretty high) and the boat is protected.   Of course, Sig a responsible boat owner would have it.   I am really surprised at all the problems they are having this year.   Sig is really good about maintenance, unlike some other boats I could mention.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I am not surprised there is insurance for massive dead loss.   It's a real possibility.    Insurance company gets their premium (and I am sure it is pretty high) and the boat is protected.   Of course, Sig a responsible boat owner would have it.   I am really surprised at all the problems they are having this year.   Sig is really good about maintenance, unlike some other boats I could mention.

I think that's true with both the Northwestern and Time Bandit, family owned boats that were designed and built by the family. I'll include the Wizard in that group. The boat was, from I've read, bought and redesigned as a crabber by a long time crabber, who fished it for years before Keith bought it from. Lenny and Soper may not be family, but they'really pretty close as long employees... Soper was a deckhand with Keith and Monte were deckhands. The best boats seem to keep crew (well except greenhorns on the Wizard?). And of course there's the Brenna A, family owned boat with young captain and crew, but long time fishing family.