Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, QuiteCalM said:

haha! I have been meaning to watch DA. We're still bingeing Orange is the new black. I LOVE that show but I can't deal with the earworm theme.

I can't deal with this season at all. I quit after three episodes and have no intention of finishing it. I'm strangely bothered by Humps having a stroke and basically no one caring or helping him. Sure, he's a disgusting pig, but that's messed up. Just generally don't like the season so far and it feels like a way for them to stretch out the series by making an entire season that happens over the course of three days.

• Love 1
Just now, Oranaiche said:

I can't deal with this season at all. I quit after three episodes and have no intention of finishing it. I'm strangely bothered by Humps having a stroke and basically no one caring or helping him. Sure, he's a disgusting pig, but that's messed up. Just generally don't like the season so far and it feels like a way for them to stretch out the series by making an entire season that happens over the course of three days.

I hate that. Clearly just stretching the plot line for longevity, with absolutely no regard for the content. Like, you can only suspend belief so long before you start to feel stupid for doing so.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I know!! Do you know who the contestants are? I have purposely not looked into it because I don't want any pre-concieved notions about them to ruin it.

I've looked at their pictures and read a few of their bios. Looks like a good group! They are ever-so-slightly older than casts from the past few years, so I'm happy about that.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Slate said:

I've looked at their pictures and read a few of their bios. Looks like a good group! They are ever-so-slightly older than casts from the past few years, so I'm happy about that.

GOOD! I couldn't take another season of Frankies and the twins. Also, my least fave housguest of all time is Rachel Reilly.

• Love 1

I wish our avatars were bigger and that we could use gifs. I just about busted a gut when Maggie Smith pulled out this bell and started ringing the hell out of it, and of course there's a gif for that.

XL7j1aa.gif

• Love 4

Just popped in this thread because I saw a message about the challenge in another. My favs are CT, Darrell, Leroy, Wes (shocking) Cara Maria, Jenna, and Camila. Cannot stand johnny bananas. 

• Love 1

Oh gosh, I so loved Road Rules! And the first few iterations of the challenge. I wouldn't know who the people are any,ore, except CT, Wes, and some of the others who are almost 40 like me and can't help themselves. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, kalibean said:

Oh gosh, I so loved Road Rules! And the first few iterations of the challenge. I wouldn't know who the people are any,ore, except CT, Wes, and some of the others who are almost 40 like me and can't help themselves. 

You and me both @kalibean.  I was just starting out my post-grad career those first few seasons, and loved vegging to Road Rules after a long day at work.  I met Kit Hoover at a middle school track meet a few years ago, and totally fangirled her.

Edited by California Girl
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

Just popped in this thread because I saw a message about the challenge in another. My favs are CT, Darrell, Leroy, Wes (shocking) Cara Maria, Jenna, and Camila. Cannot stand johnny bananas. 

I shouldn't like Bananas after what he did to Sarah, but I can't help it. Cara and Camilla are cool, but Camilla is all over the place sometimes.

15 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

@heatherrrrz I Was DYING at the coupon code comment. LOL. Call me Sydney. OR SYD VICIOUS. BECAUSE OF MY MUSCLES.

giphy.gif

I couldn't help it lmao you sounded like an instagram ad

9 minutes ago, GAgirl said:

I shouldn't like Bananas after what he did to Sarah, but I can't help it. Cara and Camilla are cool, but Camilla is all over the place sometimes.

I was kind of ok with the move because "all is fair in love and challenges". It was sneaky, conniving, and underhanded. I don't think I would have the guts to do it, but I'm sure his feelings and mostly his pride and ego were hurt so I understand why he did that. I didn't like him long before that. Maybe my feelings will change. I didn't care for Wes at first especially after fresh meat II but I think he's one of the smarter players on that show. 

Re: The Challenge, I think I like everyone, which is weird because usually I can't stand a few players on reality shows. Sarah has always been kind of whiny and hypocritical, so I liked what Johnny did to her. I take it back, I can't stand Paula, Tonya, and Coral haha!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, DanceChick said:

Re: The Challenge, I think I like everyone, which is weird because usually I can't stand a few players on reality shows. Sarah has always been kind of whiny and hypocritical, so I liked what Johnny did to her. I take it back, I can't stand Paula, Tonya, and Coral haha!

Wait, we're talking about Real World/Road Rules challenge? When did it just become "The Challenge"? I must have tuned out by that point.

Paula! HAVE A SANDWICH before you guzzle a box of wine, please!

Coral was angry angry angry.

Tonya....what can we even say?

These are my bottom three too LOL!!

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Wait, we're talking about Real World/Road Rules challenge? When did it just become "The Challenge"? I must have tuned out by that point.

Paula! HAVE A SANDWICH before you guzzle a box of wine, please!

Coral was angry angry angry.

Tonya....what can we even say?

These are my bottom three too LOL!!

It turned into the challenge because they kept doing it long after road rules was cancelled. The majority of the people were from real world after that. Then they had two fresh meat season where they just had random people to pair up with real worlders and road rulers (E. Then they started allowing cast mates from another show called are you the one on the challenge. Then there was a season bloodlines where a cast mate had to bring a family member to compete with them.   Now the people on the show come from real world, road rules, fresh meat, are you the one, and bloodlines, so it's just the challenge.

19 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

It turned into the challenge because they kept doing it long after road rules was cancelled. The majority of the people were from real world after that. Then they had two fresh meat season where they just had random people to pair up with real worlders and road rulers (E. Then they started allowing cast mates from another show called are you the one on the challenge. Then there was a season bloodlines where a cast mate had to bring a family member to compete with them.   Now the people on the show come from real world, road rules, fresh meat, are you the one, and bloodlines, so it's just the challenge.

Good gravy! Thanks for the breakdown. They've certainly come a long way LOL!

I remember the very first season of TRW back in the day. It was way more serious and political than it is now. I'm assuming. The last ones I watched were like, Vegas and San Diego, many moons ago. Less cosmic consciousness, more getting wasted and humping each other.  Boston was my all time fave with drama queen Genesis and the gang. Or was my fave San Fran? I loved the entire cast except for republican girl (doormat, self-loathing-was it Rachel??) and of course, Puck. Everyone else I loved on that one. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Aww Pedro, just thinking about him makes me sad. I loved SF. I know I watched the first four seasons and ones or two after that. I also watched the first few RR 

Me too. He could have done incredible things for people if he'd lived, and I believe he would have.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Me too. He could have done incredible things for people if he'd lived, and I believe he would have.

I agree. I bawled when they showed his funeral. And now I feel the urge to see what happened to his boyfriend

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

I agree. I bawled when they showed his funeral. And now I feel the urge to see what happened to his boyfriend

Ugh, yeah it was heartbreaking. AIDS/HIV was a definite death sentence back then.

Wasn't his boyfriend Sean? I think that was his name? Anyway, I met him one year at the pride parade after party. He was a huge AIDS/HIV educator/activist. He was super nice and one of the few people not so wasted that he couldn't hold a conversation LOL.

ETA: Sean passed in 2013 :(

Edited by QuiteCalM
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Ugh, yeah it was heartbreaking. AIDS/HIV was a definite death sentence back then.

Wasn't his boyfriend Sean? I think that was his name? Anyway, I met him one year at the pride parade after party. He was a huge AIDS/HIV educator/activist. He was super nice and one of the few people not so wasted that he couldn't hold a conversation LOL.

ETA: Sean passed in 2013 :(

Aww I loved the two of them together. So cool that you got to meet him.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Aww Pedro, just thinking about him makes me sad. I loved SF. I know I watched the first four seasons and ones or two after that. I also watched the first few RR 

I enjoyed the first seasons of both RW and RR shows.  The people seemed more real and grounded, and the shows themselves attempted to be more serious, to address social issues, and to have a social consciousness.  I was so proud of Pedro, we are both first generation Cuban Americans of the same vintage,  and he really had such a powerful impact on the way our society views the LGBTQ community.  He was so young, but he made a difference.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I guess I'm older, I never heard of The Challenge!

I hadn't either. I just knew of them when they were under a different name (real world/road rules challenge) on MTV. Surely they have younger contestants on now? I can't imagine my Gen X peeps bustin our hips and straining our last seven brain cells in the name of staying relevant.....

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I hadn't either. I just knew of them when they were under a different name (real world/road rules challenge) on MTV. Surely they have younger contestants on now? I can't imagine my Gen X peeps bustin our hips and straining our last seven brain cells in the name of staying relevant.....

IDK that might be fun to watch, better them than me anyway lol someone had to represent us Xers

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

IDK that might be fun to watch, better them than me anyway lol someone had to represent us Xers

Actually, you have a point LMAO!! That could be REALLY funny!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I guess I'm older, I never heard of The Challenge!

Haha, it was "Real World/Road Rules Challenge" back when I used to watch it in high school, but I recognized the cast member names (there can really only be one Johnny Bananas). I had no idea that they still made it.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Haha, it was "Real World/Road Rules Challenge" back when I used to watch it in high school, but I recognized the cast member names (there can really only be one Johnny Bananas). I had no idea that they still made it.

My friends are obsessed with that show. They watch it every week and tweet/text each other throughout the whole thing.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

wCpjug4.gif

Thank you for referencing my all time, number one, tip top, seen it over 300 times bestest ever ever ever movie! We stayed at The Stanley Hotel (where King wrote the book) on New Years' Eve when we lived in Colorado. Our room was supposed to be one of the super haunted ones, but we dumped out some champagne for our dead homie, and much respect was given by said ghost. He left us alone, we left him alone.

ETA: Fucking LOOK at Celine Deon's house. HousES. Her houses. Whitney's house was uglier than anything, but back in the 90s it was THE BOMB.

Edited by QuiteCalM
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Thank you for referencing my all time, number one, tip top, seen it over 300 times bestest ever ever ever movie! We stayed at The Stanley Hotel (where King wrote the book) on New Years' Eve when we lived in Colorado. Our room was supposed to be one of the super haunted ones, but we dumped out some champagne for our dead homie, and much respect was given by said ghost. He left us alone, we left him alone.

ETA: Fucking LOOK at Celine Deon's house. HousES. Her houses. Whitney's house was uglier than anything, but back in the 90s it was THE BOMB.

Have you read the book? Stephen King is one of my all time favorite authors and I've read "The Shining" at least ten times. I want to go to the Stanley! That's so awesome!

• Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Have you read the book? Stephen King is one of my all time favorite authors and I've read "The Shining" at least ten times. I want to go to the Stanley! That's so awesome!

Oh mine too! Yes I read it. With the lights ON. Auditory hallucinations and all. 

Wait, tell me you've seen Stranger Things ornaysh... 

Hubby told me about the green mile. I guess it was a series of books .... Did you know this? 

Edited by QuiteCalM
1 hour ago, QuiteCalM said:

Oh mine too! Yes I read it. With the lights ON. Auditory hallucinations and all. 

Wait, tell me you've seen Stranger Things ornaysh... 

Hubby told me about the green mile. I guess it was a series of books .... Did you know this? 

I HAVEN'T seen "Stranger Things." I've been meaning to watch it for ages. Maybe I'll actually get around to it now.

I've read "The Green Mile," but I have it on Kindle as one book. It's called a "serial" novel, but I think it usually gets smashed together into one long book. It's really excellent. If you haven't read "11.22.63" yet...DO IT.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

Good gravy! Thanks for the breakdown. They've certainly come a long way LOL!

I remember the very first season of TRW back in the day. It was way more serious and political than it is now. I'm assuming. The last ones I watched were like, Vegas and San Diego, many moons ago. Less cosmic consciousness, more getting wasted and humping each other.  Boston was my all time fave with drama queen Genesis and the gang. Or was my fave San Fran? I loved the entire cast except for republican girl (doormat, self-loathing-was it Rachel??) and of course, Puck. Everyone else I loved on that one. 

Oh, so good in those early days!! I bailed out after San Diego too. Somewhere around there, anyway.

I thought Eric Nies was so totally dreamy back in the day and I love that Heather B is a DJ for Sirius XM FLY. One of my favorite stations so I can listen to my 90's hip hop :) 

• Love 3

I still have my Hippie side...and Eric Nies became a burly muscled bear of a hippie for a while!!! Hot no matter what. Oh, The Challenge. It really is people nearing 40 who still have no real job besides MTV personality. Johnny Bananas, Wes, Camilla...looking at you here. I have not watched the past few years but I'm tempted.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

I HAVEN'T seen "Stranger Things." I've been meaning to watch it for ages. Maybe I'll actually get around to it now.

I've read "The Green Mile," but I have it on Kindle as one book. It's called a "serial" novel, but I think it usually gets smashed together into one long book. It's really excellent. If you haven't read "11.22.63" yet...DO IT.

Ok first you HAVE to watch Stranger Things it was so good, though you might want to wait bc season 2 isn't out til Halloween and the wait is killing me. 

Second I read Green Mile in the this books that was how my library had it. 

Third as a King fan have you read the Dark Tower series and are you going to see the movie when it comes out. Hubby says flat out no he's not paying to see it too many changes. I'm curious but idk it does look like they changed a lot and I love that set, well everything but the ending UGH!!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LilRedHerring said:

I still have my Hippie side...and Eric Nies became a burly muscled bear of a hippie for a while!!! Hot no matter what. Oh, The Challenge. It really is people nearing 40 who still have no real job besides MTV personality. Johnny Bananas, Wes, Camilla...looking at you here. I have not watched the past few years but I'm tempted.

Haha! I just always thought Eric was too pretty. I like em with like, a busted nose or a scar or something to make em human. I never saw his hippie phase though.

Big Stephen King reader here...well, former reader!  I can't really name a favorite book, it's pretty much a three-way tie:  The Stand, Needful Things, and Dead Zone.  But then I read Mr. Mercedes, Under the Dome, and finally Lisey's Story & I just couldn't take it anymore.  I hated...hated...irrationally hated (did I mention hated?) that Lisey character & her stupid husband SOOO much I was actually rooting for their painful deaths.  Oh, also Bag of Bones...yuck.  I kept waiting for his novels to get better & IMO they didn't so I quit.

Super unpopular opinion, but I love the Under the Dome TV series, that was my big time Summer guilty pleasure show.  I love it so much I'm actually doing a rewatch!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Big Stephen King reader here...well, former reader!  I can't really name a favorite book, it's pretty much a three-way tie:  The Stand, Needful Things, and Dead Zone.  But then I read Mr. Mercedes, Under the Dome, and finally Lisey's Story & I just couldn't take it anymore.  I hated...hated...irrationally hated (did I mention hated?) that Lisey character & her stupid husband SOOO much I was actually rooting for their painful deaths.  Oh, also Bag of Bones...yuck.  I kept waiting for his novels to get better & IMO they didn't so I quit.

Super unpopular opinion, but I love the Under the Dome TV series, that was my big time Summer guilty pleasure show.  I love it so much I'm actually doing a rewatch!

Really? Maybe hubby and I should binge that one. Bet we'd like it.

2 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Really? Maybe hubby and I should binge that one. Bet we'd like it.

Just a warning...it really wasn't good, the characters very often behaved ridiculously STUPID, and some things were just silly.  For example, not giving anything away, but a character hurt her leg, after which she was running around bandaged outside her jeans LOL.  But these stupid things are what made it more fun for me.  Plus the posters on the forum here were pretty great

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ByTor said:

Just a warning...it really wasn't good, the characters very often behaved ridiculously STUPID, and some things were just silly.  For example, not giving anything away, but a character hurt her leg, after which she was running around bandaged outside her jeans LOL.  But these stupid things are what made it more fun for me.  Plus the posters on the forum here were pretty great

Clearly, this is not a concept that is foreign to me ;-D

• Love 1