Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

I don't believe the regular chocolate chip cookies they serve at the Christie Cookie locations have nuts in them. They're actually even better than the Doubletree cookies. They put tiny little chunks of toffee in them as well as the chocolate chips. They're divine.

No nuts and toffee you say ..?  I'm officially intrigued.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

If you've never had insomnia cookies you need to...they keep them warm up until you get them and then put them in a pizza box type thing.

There are Insomnia Cookies in lots of college towns now, the students love them.

1 minute ago, California Girl said:

There are Insomnia Cookies in lots of college towns now, the students love them.

Yeah, I live right by Yale University and there's one near there. There's also one near UConn but that's too far from me.

8 hours ago, raindancer said:

haven't indulged in cookies in a while, because Portillo's chocolate cake is everything - I have cravings for it like nothing  else except my mother's gingerbread.  It's decadent ?

@raindancer, have you tried Portillo's lemon cake??? It's so wow, wow, wow. It is on the same level as their chocolate cake. I ordered a whole one for my family's Easter dinner desert. 

• Love 1

There is a shop here called Hot Box Cookies, and they will custom bake you any cookie you'd like while you wait (you pick the dough, mix ins, etc), or they will deliver hot cookies and cold milk to your work! My personal fave is the red velvet cookie with white chocolate chips. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

Once again I am the odd one out here :)  I do love chocolate chip cookies but i honestly LOVE oatmeal raisin too.  I am never disappointed if I grab one of those!! 

I love oatmeal raisin too. It's a toss up for me on which kind I'd rather have depending on where I'm getting cookies. The place I was talking about upthread, Christie Cookie, makes amazing oatmeal raisin cookies as well, and they're small enough that I don't feel bad getting one of each, lol. My favorite cookie recipe to make is an oatmeal cookie base and I typically make some with chocolate chips and some with raisins just to feed all the cravings.

34 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm so excited to eat edible cookie dough when I go to a mets game in May lol

Edible cookie dough meaning no raw eggs? I've been eating regular cookie dough for about thirty years now and I turned out okay. ?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Edible cookie dough meaning no raw eggs? I've been eating regular cookie dough for about thirty years now and I turned out okay. ?

Haha I'm pretty sure that's what it means. It's a new craze that you see everywhere. I've been eating raw cookie dough for years and I'm fine too lol

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yeah, I live right by Yale University and there's one near there. There's also one near UConn but that's too far from me.

OMG @heatherrrrz I was just in New Haven with my younger son for a college visit two weeks ago.  If I had known you lived there we could finally have met in person, perhaps even at Insomnia Cookies.  Unfortunately that younger son just scored a 1520/1600 SAT :)  This is not a crazy joke or a humble brag, these top colleges (Yale) require perfect or near-perfect scores, and a 1520 is no longer that.  I will go back and worry now.

Edited by California Girl
Just now, California Girl said:

OMG @heatherrrrz I was just in New Haven with my younger son for college visits two weeks ago.  If I had known you lived there we could finally have met in person, perhaps even at Insomnia Cookies.  Unfortunately that younger son just scored a 1520/1600 SAT :)  This is not a crazy joke or a humble brag, these top colleges require perfect or near-perfect scores, and a 1520 is no longer that.  I will go back and worry now.

Oh wow! That's too funny. I live in the next town over and my sister and father work in downtown new haven. I usually hate going into the city cause it's so annoying, but the apple store there is the closest one so. That's a great score! I was just talking with my friend yesterday and she was saying she got an 1100 on her SAT back when it was still out of 1600. I was much better on the ACT than I was on my SAT.

7 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Oh wow! That's too funny. I live in the next town over and my sister and father work in downtown new haven. I usually hate going into the city cause it's so annoying, but the apple store there is the closest one so. That's a great score! I was just talking with my friend yesterday and she was saying she got an 1100 on her SAT back when it was still out of 1600. I was much better on the ACT than I was on my SAT.

Same.  My ACT was so much higher than SAT! Do not miss those days though :-P 

• Love 1
Just now, LaurenBrook said:

I'm much better at reading and writing than math which is why my mom told me to do the ACT so that colleges wouldn't look at my low math sat score and deny admission. I didn't end up applying to many colleges anyways since I wasn't allowed to go out of state lol

13 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

Make that three of us who took the ACT over the SAT.  It was the more popular exam in the Midwest for some reason.  Having kids who are the middle of applying to colleges is all of the stress of those high school days, minus the pain of actually having to take all of these standardized exams yourself.  And now the high schools prefer it if you take both the SAT and the ACT, as well as multiple AP exams, and several SAT Subject Tests.  My older one was luckily one and done on his SAT exam, but the younger one's college counselor is already advising him to retake the SAT for a better score, or to consider taking the ACT instead.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Then we'll all have to road trip to New Haven for next year's Harvard-Yale, or perhaps as you may prefer it Yale-Havard football game.  We all love bad college football, right?

1 minute ago, California Girl said:

Then we'll all have to road trip to New Haven for next year's Harvard-Yale, or perhaps as you may prefer it Yale-Havard football game.  We all love bad college football, right?

It changes every year so it's probably at Harvard this year since it was at Yale this year.

5 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

It changes every year so it's probably at Harvard this year since it was at Yale this year.

@heatherrrrz, the game was played at Harvard in November 2016, and Yale won for the first time in almost a decade.  So it will played in New Haven this fall.

And why did I think you lived in Texas all this time? 

Edited by California Girl
Just now, California Girl said:

@heatherrrrz, the game was played at Harvard in November 2016, and Yale won for the first time in almost a decade.  So it will played in New Haven this fall.

I'm totally wrong then, could have sworn it was at Yale this year. Maybe it was last year I was talking about going. 

13 hours ago, TiaGrace said:

@raindancer, have you tried Portillo's lemon cake??? It's so wow, wow, wow. It is on the same level as their chocolate cake. I ordered a whole one for my family's Easter dinner desert. 

I haven't, but I've heard of it!!  I actually saw a Reddit thread from a guy who is desperately looking for the recipe - says there's nothing else like it.  I'm afraid to add to my not-so-good-for-you cravings but I may have to break down and try it - I have a major sweet tooth and Portillo's is within walking distance ?

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, California Girl said:

OMG @heatherrrrz I was just in New Haven with my younger son for a college visit two weeks ago.  If I had known you lived there we could finally have met in person, perhaps even at Insomnia Cookies.  Unfortunately that younger son just scored a 1520/1600 SAT :)  This is not a crazy joke or a humble brag, these top colleges (Yale) require perfect or near-perfect scores, and a 1520 is no longer that.  I will go back and worry now.

Best of luck to him!  That's a great SAT score!!! 

This reminds me of when Sam and Kelli were all tweeting about the acceptances to the Ivys and how she was definitely going there ... and next thing you know, it's crickets on Yale / Harvard / Princeton and all rah rah Texas State (or wherever she is).  Rolling eyes ... not sure why they were so presumptuous about it ... not everyone cares if your mom is DCC and on TV.  Lame

• Love 2
On 4/13/2017 at 11:15 PM, raindancer said:

I haven't, but I've heard of it!!  I actually saw a Reddit thread from a guy who is desperately looking for the recipe - says there's nothing else like it.  I'm afraid to add to my not-so-good-for-you cravings but I may have to break down and try it - I have a major sweet tooth and Portillo's is within walking distance ?

Haven't tried Portillo's yet. They just built one right by my house in a new development and I could walk to it also.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Haven't tried Portillo's yet. They just built one right by my house in a new development and I could walk to it also.

it is the place to go if you don't mind destroying your calorie counts for a delicious cause - the Chicago hot dogs (the only real hot dogs) and cheese fries are beyond amazing ?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Their charbroiled cheeseburgers are delicious but then just about everything on their menu is. You wouldn't think that this is the place to go for dessert but their chocolate cake has a cult following and their lemon cake will soon have one too. They are highly recommended. 

• Love 1

It opens this Tuesday but I'll wait for 2 weeks until all the hype is done. I don't like to go to any place that has a grand opening. Can't stand crowds, long lines, rude people, etc.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Why in the world would Comcast delete some of my shows?

because it's pure evil.  Seriously I got so sick of dealing with Comcast I canceled my cable entirely.  I get MTT on iTunes, and if I'm dying to see something on TV, I catch it on Netflix.  I'm sorry your episodes got deleted though, that is really frustrating.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, California Girl said:

Happy Easter @tobeyoungagain.  Thank you for the supportive words.  The score may not be good enough for the reach schools, so we'll see.  The college application process is stressful. 

it's very stressful (and real life adulthood doesn't get easier lol).  They look at the entire package and if they don't accept him ... well, my guess is those schools weren't good enough for him! 

• Love 1

Hey y'all! I figured I should come say hi! I have been around for awhile (I had another account for like 2 years but my old computer crashed and I can't find the login so I am starting over). I have always been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and wanted to be one when I was little but was blessed with 2 left feet. Can't wait for tryouts!!

• Love 5

Sigh. I hate my new boss. Not only did he have the audacity to take the day off today when the rest of us were only off Sunday this week, now he texts me and tells me I have to get on conference call for him "since he's off," which is not my responsibility by a stretch. I'm so over it.

• Love 1

Going to Disney oct 28th-nov 4th. My flight leaving isn't until 9 pm. I originally was thinking about going to universal after checking out of my hotel but that would be an extra cost, plus an uber to get there. Now I'm rethinking that because I don't feel like I would have enough time to enjoy it. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and would really only be going for that. Ugh decisions.

So my husband, daughter and I are relocating to the Dallas area next month from Colorado due to my husband's job transfer. It is one place in Texas I have never actually been. I have been doing a lot of research though and trying to get familiar with the area. Now as I rewatch seasons, I pay extra attention to what cities in the area the girls say they are from. It seems a lot are from Plano, Coppell, Frisco, McKinney which I believe are somewhat upscale. I figured a lot these girls come from wealthy families. However, I've learned that Garland is not as nice and considered average to below average. I was surprised because I figured since that is where Cassie is from, it must be a wealthy place. It seemed obvious that her family is rich based on how lavish her wedding was. I've actually heard Garland is kind of dumpy. Is that really an area we should avoid when seeking a place to live for those of you who know the area?

6 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Going to Disney oct 28th-nov 4th. My flight leaving isn't until 9 pm. I originally was thinking about going to universal after checking out of my hotel but that would be an extra cost, plus an uber to get there. Now I'm rethinking that because I don't feel like I would have enough time to enjoy it. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and would really only be going for that. Ugh decisions.

Who knows when you will be there again, so try to get in everything you want to do and see.  It sounds like more fun to spend the day at Universal, despite the slight inconvenience and added expense, than to spend the day at the airport waiting for a 9:00 p.m. flight.

13 hours ago, California Girl said:

Who knows when you will be there again, so try to get in everything you want to do and see.  It sounds like more fun to spend the day at Universal, despite the slight inconvenience and added expense, than to spend the day at the airport waiting for a 9:00 p.m. flight.

Well there's other things to do around Disney that I can do, they have this bus that takes you to the airport 2-3 hours before your flight anyways which is nice. I just think I should save the money and end up going to universal maybe for a weekend next year.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, Oranaiche said:

Sigh. I hate my new boss. Not only did he have the audacity to take the day off today when the rest of us were only off Sunday this week, now he texts me and tells me I have to get on conference call for him "since he's off," which is not my responsibility by a stretch. I'm so over it.

I'm sorry.  That totally sucks. I know the feeling.  Not the same situation but my boss thinks 'yous' is a word and I just can't.  Also 'yous guys.'  Huh, do what now?  It's so unprofessional.  She cannot compose an email without asking me to proof read it.  She's just not bright.  It sucks.  I'm not the smartest or even close to it but grammar/the English language....we're in our 40s.  I would think she may have mastered that by now.  Yikes...I'm getting mean....I shall stop bc I like her and she has a good heart. :)

I hope things get better for you. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

I'm sorry.  That totally sucks. I know the feeling.  Not the same situation but my boss thinks 'yous' is a word and I just can't.  Also 'yous guys.'  Huh, do what now?  It's so unprofessional.  She cannot compose an email without asking me to proof read it.  She's just not bright.  It sucks.  I'm not the smartest or even close to it but grammar/the English language....we're in our 40s.  I would think she may have mastered that by now.  Yikes...I'm getting mean....I shall stop bc I like her and she has a good heart. :)

I hope things get better for you. 

Thanks, commiseration is always nice. ? Your boss sounds special to say the least. My former boss used to say "alls" a lot, which really irritated me (especially on bad days, lol). I'm glad that she's a nice person though because that makes your life at least marginally easier.

Unfortunately the situation with my current boss has gotten worse since I made that post. He made a schedule for next week with myself and a peer working seven days and himself off on Sunday. I am beyond angry. I confronted him before I left yesterday and told him that is not happening. It's frustrating because he's younger than myself and far less experienced (I've been in my field for close to a decade, he's been doing this for about a year and a half). I choose to be in the position I'm in now versus being the boss because I've been the boss and I don't want the stress. But I also don't want a boss who doesn't know what he's doing and takes advantage of myself and my peers. Anyway... #longwinded.

Edited by Oranaiche
28 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Ugh @Oranaiche this all sounds so shitty.  I'm so sorry.  This is a new job or just a new boss?

And she also says 'alls.' ;)

New boss. I've been in my current location for nearly three years and with the company for almost ten. Bringing him here was definitely a big mistake on the part of the higher up leadership in the company. He is not ready for the management role and clearly puts his personal needs over his team member's needs. He is the one who should be working six to seven days a week until we are fully staffed. It's just frustrating, and on top of it he wants to play the victim and complain about how hard all of this is for him. Anyway, I could literally go on and on but I will leave it at that.  Thank you for letting me vent though. It genuinely helps a lot.

• Love 2

Great.  I was talking to a friend of mine who was looking to switch departments and had applied for a job in another department.  There's another person in her current department who applied for the same job my friend did and got and interview while my friend hasn't heard anything.  To top it off, this other person is going around telling people she's got the job in the bag, that she doesn't have to worry about it, etc.  She's known to be loud, brash, blunt to the point of rudeness at times, and arrogant among other things (at least in my opinion) but people seem to like her for some reason that I can't see.  Is it wrong of me to hope that this other person DOESN'T get the job?  Sadly, I don't think my friend was going to get it because she would have heard by now if she was going to get an interview (unless someone drops out and her name is next on the list), but I still was rooting for her.

On 4/20/2017 at 9:54 AM, Oranaiche said:

Thanks, commiseration is always nice. ? Your boss sounds special to say the least. My former boss used to say "alls" a lot, which really irritated me (especially on bad days, lol). I'm glad that she's a nice person though because that makes your life at least marginally easier.

Unfortunately the situation with my current boss has gotten worse since I made that post. He made a schedule for next week with myself and a peer working seven days and himself off on Sunday. I am beyond angry. I confronted him before I left yesterday and told him that is not happening. It's frustrating because he's younger than myself and far less experienced (I've been in my field for close to a decade, he's been doing this for about a year and a half). I choose to be in the position I'm in now versus being the boss because I've been the boss and I don't want the stress. But I also don't want a boss who doesn't know what he's doing and takes advantage of myself and my peers. Anyway... #longwinded.

Is he legally allowed to make you work 7 days in a row? Then how many days off after that? Dude sounds like an asshole.

3 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Great.  I was talking to a friend of mine who was looking to switch departments and had applied for a job in another department.  There's another person in her current department who applied for the same job my friend did and got and interview while my friend hasn't heard anything.  To top it off, this other person is going around telling people she's got the job in the bag, that she doesn't have to worry about it, etc.  She's known to be loud, brash, blunt to the point of rudeness at times, and arrogant among other things (at least in my opinion) but people seem to like her for some reason that I can't see.  Is it wrong of me to hope that this other person DOESN'T get the job?  Sadly, I don't think my friend was going to get it because she would have heard by now if she was going to get an interview (unless someone drops out and her name is next on the list), but I still was rooting for her.

No. You're a great friend to your friend. I hope the other person doesn't get the job either! Fingers crossed ?.

On 4/19/2017 at 3:51 PM, Teresa said:

So my husband, daughter and I are relocating to the Dallas area next month from Colorado due to my husband's job transfer. It is one place in Texas I have never actually been. I have been doing a lot of research though and trying to get familiar with the area. Now as I rewatch seasons, I pay extra attention to what cities in the area the girls say they are from. It seems a lot are from Plano, Coppell, Frisco, McKinney which I believe are somewhat upscale. I figured a lot these girls come from wealthy families. However, I've learned that Garland is not as nice and considered average to below average. I was surprised because I figured since that is where Cassie is from, it must be a wealthy place. It seemed obvious that her family is rich based on how lavish her wedding was. I've actually heard Garland is kind of dumpy. Is that really an area we should avoid when seeking a place to live for those of you who know the area?

I've lived here most of my adult life - you're welcome to PM me! I've lived in Fort Worth, McKinney, North Dallas, Richardson, Uptown and Plano :) 

Parts of Garland can be quite nice and can be more affordable than a lot of the metroplex. Firewheel is a somewhat generic shopping center but it's newer and nice. And their downtown is cute.

I think you should zone in on where your husband is working and try to stay reasonably close or keep a close eye on traffic patterns. I was never one to worry about a commute but our traffic is approaching LA territory and we have two major toll roads that don't help much. I lived four miles away from work in Plano and still took over 30 minutes to get to work. If you live in Plano and work downtown (or the reverse) you're looking at an hour plus. Some days it took me 90 minutes and I had the "reverse" commute. Southbound Tollway in the morning is hellish.

Plano has "normal" areas and very affluent areas, as do the other 'burbs like McKinney, Coppell, etc. Plano and Frisco have been booming lately with all of the new corporations coming to town like Toyota. I just accepted a job in KC and will be putting my house on the market next week for $330 when I bought it last year for $275. Granted, I've remodeled, but this house five years ago probably would have been $215.

Anyhoot, welcome!!! And please tell me more :) North Dallas has its charms, but budget to go back to Colorado and other places with trees as much as you can.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Is he legally allowed to make you work 7 days in a row? Then how many days off after that? Dude sounds like an asshole.

I'm honestly not sure what the legality of it is in the state of Tennessee, but as it is he gave me tomorrow off after I made it clear that I would go over his head to his boss if he didn't change the schedule. I hate to have to do that, but the schedule was completely unreasonable. I also have it on good authority that he was in pretty hot water for taking a day off when myself and my peer didn't have one, so the fact he would write a schedule like that after getting in trouble for the same thing is just outrageous. Hopefully things will get better now that he knows we're not going to stand for it.

• Love 1