Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

@twinkietwin94 you are smart to pass on the little Cyrus :)  

For some reason I can't remember the song you've posted though I am certainly a child of the '80s.  I was just watching John Hughes's Sixteen Candles (Molly Ringwald was such a cutie pie) last week with my 12- and 13- year olds.  Speaking of John Hughes, Molly Ringwald, and the '80s, here is an old song I never tire of hearing.

The Psychedelic Furs, Pretty in Pink.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Interesting. ITA on the side eye for MLMs. I have an MLM masque that I NEVER sell to people for profit, but I bought into because I love it so much. Do you know what kind of alcohol the base is in LS?

Cosmetic grade, I don't taste it or smell it once it's evaporated. 

IMG_1289.JPG

6 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I don't mean the quality, I mean the type. There are several types of alcohol used in skin care and cosmetic products. Some are waxy, some creamy, some astringent, such as Isopropyl. I'm wondering what type is used, and if it's a selling point, why. 

Not too sure on that. It's not waxy or creamy, the texture of the product is liquid. 

• Love 1

YAH! EEKS!! https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700215/ALCOHOL_DENATURED/

Where's our little chemist?!? Who was it on here that knew her ingredients!? I think she literally is in scientific development of some sort and she takes a real interest in what goes into skincare and cosmetics. I would love to get her input on what the different types of alcohol are and what they do. For example, a lip product that I love from Dermalogica, a well-respected professional line, has a different kind of alcohol as one of the final ingredients, but it's totally different than isopropyl or denatured alcohol. Dang, who was it!!

The Renewal Lip Complex?  It has Benzyl Alcohol, which is typically used in cosmetics as a preservative.  Yes, it's a drying alcohol, but since it's so low on the ingredient list it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by ByTor
19 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Interesting. ITA on the side eye for MLMs. I have an MLM masque that I NEVER sell to people for profit, but I bought into because I love it so much. Do you know what kind of alcohol the base is in LS?

What’s MLM?  And another thing I never under is the BB or BBB thing. What is happening?????

1 minute ago, PBSLover said:

What’s MLM?  And another thing I never under is the BB or BBB thing. What is happening?????

"Multi-level marketing (MLM), also called pyramid selling, network marketing, and referral marketing, is a controversial, pyramid-shaped marketing strategy where profit is theoretically derived from two revenue streams: from direct sales to customers and from commission based on the sales of recruited team members,"

3 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

"Multi-level marketing (MLM), also called pyramid selling, network marketing, and referral marketing, is a controversial, pyramid-shaped marketing strategy where profit is theoretically derived from two revenue streams: from direct sales to customers and from commission based on the sales of recruited team members,"

Thanks.  Like Nerium?

Moni, tips for dry skin? I keep trying to wear my bb cream but my skin is so dry it starts flaking a few hours later and it looks terrible.

12 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Yes @PBSLover Nerium is one MLM. I know NOTHING about Nerium, in fact aside from the ingredient list on this lip product, and my little masque that I use and refuse to sell, I know nothing about any MLM product. MLMs are like, home based businesses usually. Actually, Rodan and Fields is one. R&F skincare is actually one MLM I can get behind. The results for me were really good, although now that I've been through school, I'd research the ingredients before I recommended it. Also, and I know this will sound snobby, but I didn't know any better when I used it. So I thought WOW! This is GREAT! Now that I look back, knowing what I know now, it may be just meh.

I have a friend who does R&F and aside from the outrageous price tag, I stayed away because of horrible results I had with proactive. Did your skin have any irritation after using it? 

Just now, QuiteContraryMoni said:

First, are you exfoliating? If so, how often and with what?

I use exfoliating pads after I use my makeup remover wipes just to make sure the rest of my makeup is off. It's usually depending on whether I wear makeup but mostly using the pads lately every night. I don't wash my face because it causes acne so the pads are my best shot at keeping acne free lol

1 minute ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Do you mean that products you've used in combination with water have caused breakouts in the past? If so, what specific products have you tried?

Sounds to me like you may be over-exfoliating your skin with wipes AND pads. What brands are you using?

Where are you prone to acne on your skin? All over? Just the T-Zone? The chin?

I mostly have acne on my back, but as I've gotten older I've had a few on my chin area and that's about it. I've hardly ever had facial acne. I've always always always had dry skin and in all honesty I'd take that over the acne my sister had any day. I use the neutrogena makeup remover hydrating wipes and first aid cosmetics pads. I was recommended the first aid beauty products at a mini facial in sephora. Their lotion works well, but I feel like cetaphil is my only option for helping dryness. I tried neutrogena hydrating lotion and THAT made me break out on my forehead.

@heatherrrrz to back up what Moni is saying, I recently started using the IT CC cream and I actually found it made my normally dry skin very shiny by the end of the day, so I wouldn't think that that's the cause of your dryness. Also I've never liked any makeup remover wipes I've tried--after a few uses they all irritate my skin. I use the Clinique Take the Day Off balm with a muslin cloth to remove my makeup and my skin still feels soft afterwards, not stripped and dry.

• Love 2
Just now, MaryWebGirl said:

@heatherrrrz to back up what Moni is saying, I recently started using the IT CC cream and I actually found it made my normally dry skin very shiny by the end of the day, so I wouldn't think that that's the cause of your dryness. Also I've never liked any makeup remover wipes I've tried--after a few uses they all irritate my skin. I use the Clinique Take the Day Off balm with a muslin cloth to remove my makeup and my skin still feels soft afterwards, not stripped and dry.

Thanks! I love the CC cream and I know it's not that cause it feels so nice going on. I even tried mixing my moisturizer in with it and it didn't work.

I use shea butter / coconut oil mix.  It's all natural and really hydrating!

Having a terrible week ... basically being tossed aside and not valued at work and today I was very very disappointed during my meeting / talk with boss.  I just  don't think he values me the way I should be - both financially and not.

Very sad / stressed but at least now I know to put effort into my next adventure!  And I'm going to stuff my face with pizza and maybe fries to make myself feel better.

33 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Do you have specific concerns with your skin?

Oh and @HowdeeDo to answer your question (duh) I found that it brightened my skin, and clarified, but I've found products and techniques that I find work better for me. It's NOT a bad line but again, I should look at the ingredients before I speak!

My skin flip flops between oily in the summer (I live in the devil's armpit) and somewhat normal in the winter, but I moisturizer like crazy. I have rosacea and eczema, allergic to a lot of fragrances, and bathe in SPF 70 basically. It's taken a village to figure out what I can and can't use, but right now I'm really into oily cleansing and anything gentle that doesn't piss off my skin. 

• Love 1

OK, so stop using the acne pads anywhere other than your chin, and even then, only when you start to see a breakout coming on.

And once you burn through the face wipes (I hate telling people to throw out stuff they've spent money on unless they're wanting to do so), try this. You're never really getting "clean" with those wipes. For this product, You only need a pea sized amount and a little water.  It'll last you a LONG time.

I'd recommend this once a day to keep the acne at bay. Just put a little on a cotton ball after you wash and I doubt you'll need the pads anymore:

Twice a week, or more as needed, I recommend a technique called oleation. You can use jojoba, sunflower, bio-oil, or a pure light facial oil (I can recommend if you would like). Take a quarter-sized amount and spread onto your face and neck. Then, use your cleanser and a work it all into a lather and wipe off with a wet wash cloth. This removes excess oil but really adds nice moisture to your skin. Use your clarifying on a cotton ball after and moisturize after.

By exfoliating lightly daily, and adding that oil back into your skin (avoid the chin where you get breakouts), you're balancing your skin rather than the constant rubbing and drying. It's cheaper in the long run too.

Remember: Whatever you do to your face, do to your neck!! When you're 45, you'll be glad you did!

Sweet, thanks! I'll have to pick these up next time I'm at sephora.

@heatherrrrz do you use the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream? I had a really weird case of dry scaly skin a few years ago (had never had dry skin before that), and I had to change up my entire routine. Philosophy Purity cleanser and the FAB Ultra Repair Cream healed my face in a matter of days. I just use Cetaphil cleanser now because the Philosophy one was expensive and I just need something gentle, but the FAB cream changed my life and I will NEVER use any other moisturizer. The six ounce jar also lasts me about a year.

Anyway, I'm sure you're in good hands with @QuiteContraryMoni's advice. I just love that moisturizer so much, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to gush about it. Most of the women in my family and several of my coworkers old and new use it now thanks to me. I should probably work for them, LOL.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1
Just now, Oranaiche said:

@heatherrrrz do you use the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream? I had a really weird case of dry scaly skin a few years ago (had never had dry skin before that), and I had to change up my entire routine. Philosophy Purity cleanser and the FAB Ultra Repair Cream healed my face in a matter of days. I just use Cetaphil cleanser now because the Philosophy one was expensive and I just need something gentle, but the FAB cream changed my life and I will NEVER use any other moisturizer.

Anyway, I'm sure you're in good hands with @QuiteContraryMoni's advice. I just love that moisturizer so much, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to gush about it. Most of the women in my family and several of my coworkers old and new use it now thanks to me. I should probably work for them, LOL.

Yesss! That's exactly what I use. 

It's gotten better over the years, I just hate being limited with products. I worked at Ulta/Sephora and it was torture not being able to use pretty things. 

Second on First Aid Beauty! Their moisturizer is the shizzz. It's my go to winter moisturizer and it's really helped my cousin who's going through some terrible teenage acne right now. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I also have a condition called hidradenitis suppurativa. Google image THAT baby on an empty stomach. NOT the severe ones, and it's totally under control now, but basically you get giant, cystic welts on your underarms and bikini line. HUGE, infected ingrown hair staph infections. Some people, it's horrible and so sad. I'm fortunate that mine was only stage one or two. But one welt after the other. Deodorant? Nope! Surgical soap and maybe some powder. And some of them are so bad you get fevers. It's all about the triclosan. A bar of dial gold soap. @ByTor I know, Triclosan. But it's the ONLY thing that stops this horrid condition from returning for me.

@QuiteContraryMoni this is probably already on your radar, but if it isn't, or you haven't already considered, and you're able to afford it, laser hair removal can help prevent HS.  Would mean a permanently weeded garden for your lady flower (and possibly underarms), but could def be worth it, especially when you're already struggling with health problems.  I actually used to work on a clinical trial testing a biologic treatment for HS, and I've seen some of the more extreme cases of the disease.  It's so tough, and even though that isn't what it is for you (and I hope it never is), that doesn't make it any less frightening or frustrating to deal with *hugs*

• Love 2

The lady at sephora found me this bomb ass product for my dark circles. It's something paste by Benefit and it really does cover my dark circles a lot better than regular concealer. 

Benefit is about my favorite make-up line for Highlighters, concealers, blushes and powders. They go on like silk and they're blendable and always so pretty. My fave mascaras are Lancome and my favorite cc cream is clinique. Fave shadows are mirabella and I've tried everything from Stila to wet n wild and my fave liner is plain old cover girl lol. Aveda makeup is crapola.

I forgot to set my under eye today so it's coming off when I touch it which sucks but this stuff is soo good. Their roller lash mascara is my fave.

For drug store Cover Girl Lash Blast in the orange tube, but I almost always use Chanel Inimitable Intense. I know a lot of people say expensive mascara is a waste but every time I try something else I'm disappointed by it and go back to Chanel.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Slate said:

I would love to hear what mascaras you guys like to use. Looking to change mine!

YSL Babydoll is the best mascara I've ever used....I used to love Diorshow, and it's still a great mascara, but nothing makes my lashes look better than the YSL.

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Aveda makeup is crapola.

So sad, and so true....their colors used to throw warm on me all the time anyway when I wore them but there were still a few that I'd used and loved.  Most all were discontinued, and those that weren't, were reformulated, and reformulated badly.  The whole line has just taken such an enormous plunge in the last 5-10 years especially, and saddest of all, they are discontinuing their Personal Blends line.  I love the scent if nothing else but now even they are gone *wails*

• Love 1

Wait, like, EVER?! Or just during the day??? Also good luck!!

during the day lol I can come on at night when I get home from work. Thanks!! I'll miss talking to you guys during the day if I get it.

WHEW. OK. Well, for us I wish you an epic fail, cause we'd miss you, but for your sake, I'm rooting for you ;-)

Hahah I'd miss you guys more. I appreciate it :) <3

5 hours ago, Slate said:

I would love to hear what mascaras you guys like to use. Looking to change mine!

They’re Real - by Benefit.  I’ve tried every brand, including Lancome and Dior, which I wore for years before Benefit.  I asked a friend who has amazing lashes what she was wearing and I have used it ever since.  I try others but I will layer it with the Benefit mascara because none of the others work as well and the brush is great to get into the inner corners.  

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

THAT'S because Estee Lauder bought Aveda back in 1997. When Horst Rechelbacher (Aveda's founder) died and stopped having input, real, noticeable changes came to the Aveda line. The difference in curriculum and instruction at the flagship Aveda Institute where I went (and trained under Michelle Rechelbacher 14 years ago) and the decline in quality of product over the last 19 years is disappointing, to say the least. They replaced many of their ingredients that set them apart with cheaper, more readily available ingredients that, in my opinion, compromise the quality of the products. The theory is that they're doing it in the name of sustainability but I haven't seen the research that backs that claim up.  If you're an esthetician and 3/4 of the services you're doing are for relaxation rather than treatment, and your client buys a scented candle and some room spray on the way out, you've got to take a look at your product line. 

I love that you know this.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Slate said:

I'm a Cover Girl girl, don't have much money to spend on makeup and even if I did not sure I could bring myself to spend more. I use CG Exact Eyelights for green eyes, black ruby I think is the color

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Slate said:

Right now I'm using Marc Jacobs Major Volume...skimpy eyelashes here!  I was using Lancome Hypnose Drama and it does NOT come off...which sounds like a good thing, but I felt like I was tugging at my eyes too much to try to remove it.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Really? I LOVE that stuff! I used oil to take it off, since I use oil on my whole face before cleansing. Took it right off. I hate spending money on eye makeup remover.

You and me both!  I have the Lancome one and like it, but I read an article from a female dermatologist who said Neutrogena makes one every bit as good as Lancome's for, of course, a lot less money.

Edited by ByTor
7 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

That is my all time favorite too!  (Benefit Rollerlash) and that's after working at NM and trying all different ones.  I definitely do think the more expensive ones are better, and that goes for all beauty products in my opinion.  They have better ingredients and can hire better chemists.  

NYX & NYC make really good sensibly priced makeup too. I have some physician's formula bronzer that I love (a tad bit spendier but lasts a long time) and I love some of my Walgreens bargain finds.

In fact, did you know that bargain products, such as wet n wild, can actually be MAC, Lancome, etc? They purchase batches of discontinued or overstock product, and package it with their own and sell it. So that wet n wild lipstick could actually be MAC! ;-)

Really? I LOVE that stuff! I used oil to take it off, since I use oil on my whole face before cleansing. Took it right off. I hate spending money on eye makeup remover.

I have a Wet n Wild pink lipstick I LOVE, not Tasha pink, think hot pink and I think it's more lip stain than lipstick actually

Any of you ladies watch "Making the Band 3" back in the day? (The completely ridiculous show where Puff Daddy/P Diddy formed a girl group.) The discussion of Aubrey O'Day in another thread has me hankering to watch it, but I can't find it anywhere in the internets. It used to be on YouTube with all the episodes broken into three parts, but that seems to be no more. What a shame. Other than MTT, that one is the only reality show I've ever been able to get into. And man was it godawful.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Any of you ladies watch "Making the Band 3" back in the day? (The completely ridiculous show where Puff Daddy/P Diddy formed a girl group.) The discussion of Aubrey O'Day in another thread has me hankering to watch it, but I can't find it anywhere in the internets. It used to be on YouTube with all the episodes broken into three parts, but that seems to be no more. What a shame. Other than MTT, that one is the only reality show I've ever been able to get into. And man was it godawful.

YES! It was my favorite show back in the day.

11 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Any of you ladies watch "Making the Band 3" back in the day? 

No, but I did watch Rock Star Supernova, which was pretty much a contest to become lead singer for a new band Tommy Lee (among others) was forming.

• Love 2

HR said it would be a lateral move for me...not sure how moving from the receptionist to an actual position in the company is a lateral move but hey if it gets me off of answering the phones I'm all for it.