Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: By Dawn's Early Light

TC and Topher rush to the scene of a concert where a fireworks explosion has caused massive chaos. As the two jump in to manage the mess, a second explosion causes problems for one of our own. Syd, returns from Afghanistan and helps out with the team at San Antonio Memorial but finds herself grappling with best plans for herself and her young daughter. Drew tries to help but runs afoul of their unique family dynamic. Paul and Shannon put aside their differences to treat a patient and find they have more in common than they thought. Meanwhile, Jordan and Scott treat a patient injured in the fireworks explosion and have a chance to address some simmering differences.

I was kind of bored and got distracted towards the end, but did Jennifer Beals get sent to DC?  Wherever she's going, I  have the feeling she'll get back to San Antonio.   I like Drew with her and her daughter.

Poor Cranky Topher.  Looks like next week, it's his mom.  He needs some fun in his life. 

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I was kind of bored and got distracted towards the end, but did Jennifer Beals get sent to DC?

She chose to go, so she could still see her daughter, since that's where her ex was moving.

So apparently they're all moving so soon that they had to say good-bye to Drew in the parking lot, but not so soon that daddy ex can't fix the injured girl's face first? 

• Love 3

Not that I know anything about plastic surgery, but doesn't the wound have to heal first, so the scar and subsequent repair can be evaluated? That girl needs to be taught comebacks when she is teased about her glasses. It's not like she is ugly, with or without them. Plus, she should be told scars are sexy. Because yeah, they are.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Not that I know anything about plastic surgery, but doesn't the wound have to heal first, so the scar and subsequent repair can be evaluated?

Exactly! Maybe daddy ex is so wonderful that he'll come back to San Antonio just to do it...

5 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

gah can we please move past the Shannon and Paul bs? I do not want to see it. At all. Ever.

I felt this way at first, but now I'm finding the fact that they both behave like third graders around one another kind of amusing... Shannon's gesture with the picture was both child-like and endearing.

IIRC, Syd's daughter said her dad would do that plastic surgery for free in his surgical center. I took that to mean when it was time for surgery the girl would come to wherever he was, DC in this case.

I understand that kids can be cruel, but offering free repair for the girl's scar is exactly the wrong thing for her. She clearly has self-esteem issues (understandably), and if it's not the scar or the glasses, it's going to be something else. Not to mention that she needs to learn that a girl's value is not in her good looks.

(And as is standard with Hollywood, the girl was also about 10% prettier than an average real life girl, even with the scar).

• Love 2

I was too busy working the actual night shift (uuuuuugh) to watch this last night, and I'm probably as cranky as Topher right now.

I'm willing to accept the level of ridiculousness this show throws at me, because in spite of everything, I do enjoy it.  But having to accept that the episode began around 6 and finished around 11 is just a bit too much.  Jessica Tuck probably wouldn't even have fully been out of anesthesia in that length of time.

Can they find a way to get Syd to stay?  We've determined that Jordan is an acceptable substitute for Krista in Drew's life, but Syd, particularly since she has the added advantage of also being military, is clearly the superior choice.  I know the show likely can't afford Jennifer Beals, but I want it, and I'm going to pout.  That said, I thought the relationship between Drew and Riley seems to have evolved awfully quickly.  I can buy that Syd and Drew would bond quickly and strongly in a foxhole, but I have a harder time thinking Riley would have gotten so attached.  

I will be happy to rub Topher's "burgeoning abs."

Jordan standing up to Topher may be the most I've ever liked her.  I've moved from disliking the character to being ambivalent, which is honestly a lot of progress, given the limitations of the writing and Jill Flint's not being Meryl Streep.  I think I approve.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

IIRC, Syd's daughter said her dad would do that plastic surgery for free in his surgical center. I took that to mean when it was time for surgery the girl would come to wherever he was, DC in this case.

Which also makes little sense, since that would also probably cost a decent amount for her to travel, and how could the mom get off work to go with her, etc., etc... I should just stop trying to have this make sense in my head.

3 hours ago, starri said:

I will be happy to rub Topher's "burgeoning abs."

I heard it as "burgeoning ass" last night, and was like, um, OK... Glad to know it was abs-- that makes more sense!

Jordan doesn't really have a storyline and she really is the weakest link.  She should pull a "Ragosa" and not come back.  Then let's get Jennifer Beals full time to take her place!!  

How come on these medical shows, when patients complain about not being able to pay,  the  dr always comes through with a solution? It's either free or a donation or covered by such and such . It's never a payment plan of a $100 a month for the rest of their lives.

• Love 1

I guess it's true that doctors really can be the worst patients.  Topher wasn't have any of it, and it really was making things worse.  To be fair, I think pretty much anyone else here would have the done the same thing.  Especially T.C.  He could have had his guts hanging out and he'd be like "It's cool, guys!  Just a flesh wound!  Ain't going to stop me!"

Syd returns and gets to interact with the rest of the cast, but is now getting sent-off to D.C. because her ex somehow would full custody of Riley due to her being away all that she dared to serve in the military.  Judge must be related to the judge in Con Air who actually jailed Nicolas Cage for fighting off drunks who were trying to kill him.  I wouldn't be surprised if she still comes back.  I do feel bad for Drew, but I wish they had spent more time with him and Riley, because it did feel like their bond was very sudden.

And in unsurprising news, it is finally reveal all of Shannon's insults and mean treatments towards Paul is really because she's just harboring a crush on him.  Great.  Can't wait for another story where treating someone like shit is actually going to be a good thing for that person, because it's just love!!!

Man, Kenny.  You may know everything about physical training and pep talks, but how can you not see that the nurse you are sleeping with totally wanted you to ask her to the game?

Frankly, I'm with Scott over Jordan and her prodding.  Even if this ends up blowing up in his face, she really should just let him be and then he'll learn the hard way, if this falls apart.

• Love 2

Plus, Scott is a grown-assed man who has been through a lot, and if things fall apart with Annie (and I'm sure they will) I'm sure he will survive without Jordan kissing his boo boo.   

Was that the same nurse that Kenny was sleeping with who wanted to go to the game?  I thought he was sleeping with an EMT.

43 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Was that the same nurse that Kenny was sleeping with who wanted to go to the game?  I thought he was sleeping with an EMT.

The EMT died on the way back to her home planet.  Which was apparently Georgetown Law because that made sense.

6 minutes ago, starri said:

The EMT died on the way back to her home planet.  Which was apparently Georgetown Law because that made sense.

Yes, I remember her, but there was a new one who I also thought was an EMT but maybe she was a nurse.  But in any event, she didn't look like the nurse who wanted to go to the game with Kenny.

Is he sleeping with the nurse?  Because IMDb says the nurse has been in a number of episodes, but not the one that had all of the sex.  I honestly didn't care enough to pay attention to his sex life.

• Love 1