Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Safe

But I agree that discipline is very loose in the household and the kids are under-supervised and under-managed.

In real life, those five troubled kids need a lot more parental supervision. Both parents are managing demanding careers on the side. Could one of them work out of the home or could they hire/take in another adult to be around the house more?  That being said, I agree with the poster above that adequate supervision and more hands-on parenting might put a damper on the teen drama/angst quotient. By the way, did Stef and Lena just forget that Jesus existed during his boarding school days?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, he's still going to have to contribute to paying the electric and hydro bills, he's going to have to split groceries between three people now, he's going to have to pay for other little expenses here and there, like Internet and cable. He may have helped to buy the house, but there are now going to be expenses he's never had to think about paying before. I'm sure Courtney will be fine with him moving in, but when they break up, things are going to get messy, and that is something Brandon isn't thinking about. 

And I just remembered that Brandon is working at the bar, along with Courtney, so he'll probably have the money to help pay for those stuff, but I don't know if it's going to be enough. I guess we'll see, but it won't be as easy as he thinks it'll be. I'm 22 years old, recently graduated, and I had to move back in with my family because there's no way I can even afford an apartment on my own at the moment. 

Courtney may let Brandon's contribution to some things slide though, because of the fact that he paid for the house. She could consider it her paying him back or something. But when they break up, it will be very messy.

I can't see how Courtney is supporting herself and her kid working in that bar though, even with Brandon buying the house. Most people her age don't have kids and have trouble supporting themselves. But TV never does a good job portraying money issues. 

49 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

In real life, those five troubled kids need a lot more parental supervision. Both parents are managing demanding careers on the side. Could one of them work out of the home or could they hire/take in another adult to be around the house more?  That being said, I agree with the poster above that adequate supervision and more hands-on parenting might put a damper on the teen drama/angst quotient. By the way, did Stef and Lena just forget that Jesus existed during his boarding school days?

The family is barely making ends meet as it is so no both moms have to work. As someone said upthread, all the kids except for Jude who is too young, need to be at part-time jobs and doing after-school activities that are sponsored by the school. That will keep them busy enough and create the drama necessary for this show.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/29/2016 at 0:25 AM, maraleia said:

The only reason why I agree with Stef about Brandon is because he was the one who initiated things with Callie when she was at her most vulnerable. He's also the one who kept it up time and time again and he knew the rules about foster kids before his mom's brought Callie and Jude into their home.

I mean, they did little more than shrug their shoulders at Callie and AJ hooking up, in spite of him having been her foster brother when they caught them and being, basically, a member of her extended family via Mike anyway. They just lied and covered it up to protect the adoption. So it comes off to me like it's not that Stef actually cares that Callie might be making bad decisions because she's "vulnerable", She cares because it could screw things up for them.

Brandon eventually backed off from pursuing anything with Callie until she came to him later and made it obvious that she'd changed her mind and wanted to be with him (because of Wyatt of all people telling her to go for it with Brandon). She clearly actively encouraged him during her time at GU. She initiated the kiss after Robert decided not to go through with signing away his parental rights.

Brandon has so much textbook child of an alcoholic damage that clearly feeds in to his relationships but goes largely unaddressed by his parents. His parents (Stef in particular) have also modeled for the kids that when you love someone you should sneak around, lie, and break whatever rules get in your way for them, which just goes to feed in to his CoA issues. The message, via their actions, is clearly that rules are dumb and that you should ignore them and follow your heart.

So why is Brandon expected to know Callie's emotions and what's good for her better than she knows herself? He clearly barely has a grasp on his own emotions and what's good for himself. Has he received extensive therapy and training in how to deal with troubled kids that I missed? Why is he supposed to know that a rule about him and Callie not hooking up is a good rule when his parents repeatedly show that rules should be ignored when they get in your way? Why does Callie's trauma excuse her from responsibility for decisions that she makes as a 16/17 year old, but Brandon's trauma isn't expected to have an impact on him?

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 5

Where are they now in the school year?  Weren't R + J and the Fost n Found app the projects they needed in order to graduate?  So is that happening soon?  Brandon is 18 and near graduation, so I second the notion that he should go away to college.  Maybe it doesn't have to be all the way across the country to Julliard, maybe somewhere in California so he can be in the periphery of the action.  That would eliminate that kind of sketchy middle of the night creeping into Callie's room to go in his closet and talk.  I'm pretty sure a therapist would recommend some separation.  Boundaries.  Something like that.  Callie could move out too, but that's not as likely with her just having been adopted.  Individual therapy for Brandon and Callie, and probably family therapy for them all.  Mariana and the rest have had pretty much trauma, too.  What a mess.  It's not going to just sort itself out.  Showing these people seek and receive professional help would fit in well with the whole framework of the show.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Where are they now in the school year?  Weren't R + J and the Fost n Found app the projects they needed in order to graduate?  So is that happening soon?

I was rewatching scenes from the last episode and on the label of Jack's ashes, it lists his DOD as October 27 (the night of the play, 03x19). Stef said Jude was 14, so his birthday must have passed, which is November 17.

• Love 1

Where are they now in the school year?  Weren't R + J and the Fost n Found app the projects they needed in order to graduate?

I beginning to think this show is in its own time warp. Like the Simpsons, where Bart turns again 6 every year and Maggie never grows out of her pacifier.

15 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I beginning to think this show is in its own time warp. Like the Simpsons, where Bart turns again 6 every year and Maggie never grows out of her pacifier.

Bart is 10!

• Love 2

This show is definitely in its own time warp, because I'm rewatching 2x07, and it's the episode where Brandon tells Stef and Mike about him and Dani. Stef blatantly says that Brandon is 16 about three or four times. She even mentions Mariana to Mike, and says she's 'almost sixteen'. So they've messed with the timeline quite a bit, and it's only the beginning of the fourth season. Brandon shouldn't already be eighteen. They seem to have only made him eighteen so he can have this moving out plotline. It really should be a year and a half for the entire series, at least, especially with Ana getting pregnant, and then having the baby quite quickly, and she definitely got pregnant late season 2. If Mariana and Jesus didn't have a sweet sixteen birthday late last season, I think there could have been more lenience with the timeline. So I, at the moment, am just going to pretend it was their sixteen and a half birthday. Plus, Jude is fourteen and he started the series at age 12. 

• Love 2

Jude played younger than 12 at the beginning, at least to me.  He was such a little kid, and that worked well with his vulnerabilities.  Now he's soooo tall.  That isn't hard to buy since those growth spurts do happen in middle school (it happened to the actor).  But the rest of it, makes no sense. 

18 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

This show is definitely in its own time warp, because I'm rewatching 2x07, and it's the episode where Brandon tells Stef and Mike about him and Dani. Stef blatantly says that Brandon is 16 about three or four times. She even mentions Mariana to Mike, and says she's 'almost sixteen'. So they've messed with the timeline quite a bit, and it's only the beginning of the fourth season. Brandon shouldn't already be eighteen. They seem to have only made him eighteen so he can have this moving out plotline. It really should be a year and a half for the entire series, at least, especially with Ana getting pregnant, and then having the baby quite quickly, and she definitely got pregnant late season 2. If Mariana and Jesus didn't have a sweet sixteen birthday late last season, I think there could have been more lenience with the timeline. So I, at the moment, am just going to pretend it was their sixteen and a half birthday. Plus, Jude is fourteen and he started the series at age 12. 

If Jude started the series two months away from his 13th birthday (so 12) and is now 14, that puts the show time as Callie has been living with them 14-16months......so a year to a year and a half. Unless Im talking about the growth of a baby or toddler I say a year, 1.5 years etc, so it does seem possible. Also in episode 4(?) of season 1 the twins turned 15 and they had their 16th the end of season 3 so it does line up........

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

If Jude started the series two months away from his 13th birthday (so 12) and is now 14, that puts the show time as Callie has been living with them 14-16months......so a year to a year and a half. Unless Im talking about the growth of a baby or toddler I say a year, 1.5 years etc, so it does seem possible. Also in episode 4(?) of season 1 the twins turned 15 and they had their 16th the end of season 3 so it does line up........

The Jude thing MAY line up, especially in response to Brandon and Callie's ages at eighteen and seventeen, respectively. The Mariana/Jesus thing doesn't because from what I remember of early season 1, the first four episodes didn't happen in a span of two or more months. Jude moved in to the Foster's home in episode 2, and I think it was established it was only a few days after the pilot. Lexi/Jesus had started dating in episode 2 so unless they had a secret romance for two months, their birthdays don't line up. Also, Lena was 20 weeks along when she was pregnant with Frankie and then unfortunately lost her. That's almost five months, I guess? She said that she was pregnant in the season 1 finale.  The timing is off because that would mean Callie and Jude would have come into the series before the summer started, in at least June, yet they were in school for most of the season. Oh yeah, Ana's pregnancy also has to fit in sometime in season 2 through the end of that season, so that's another few months passing by.

Brandon was also sixteen up until at least 2x07. 2x11 is a Christmas episode, so it establishes a little bit of a timeline then. Looking into season 3, it's the end of the school year (Father's Day episode), which means it's June and it also means Callie/Jude would have been living there for a year, plus Mariana and Jesus' birthdays should have either already happened or would have been around that time. Then Brandon's at his music summer program, which means Callie/Jude have been living there for over a year. Season 3 took place mostly over the summer, but I'm pretty sure with Brandon in senior year and the twins being able to drive, a year and a half should have passed, at least. 

I honestly have no idea why I'm trying to figure out the timeline situation, because they did screw up with deciding that Mariana and Jesus needed to have a sixteenth birthday party. So the only way I can make this work out in my head is if it's a very, very, very late birthday party for whatever reason. Maybe their birthday had happened around the car accident. Maybe something was going on and they had to postpone a party. So yeah, the ONLY part at the moment that doesn't work out is the twins' birthday. So everyone else's ages can match up, I guess, if people's birthdays are closer together. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1

Did they ever establish what season it was in the pilot.  If it was September/October, and right before Brandon and Jude's birthday, it's possible it's been a little over a year, and long enough for them both to have had two birthdays, but still not a full year and a half.  So Brandon would say "a year" because that's easier than saying 14 months or whatever.

i just think it's ridiculous that they've been through so much in that time periodic, and that they adopted Callie/Jude so quickly.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did they ever establish what season it was in the pilot.  If it was September/October, and right before Brandon and Jude's birthday, it's possible it's been a little over a year, and long enough for them both to have had two birthdays, but still not a full year and a half.  So Brandon would say "a year" because that's easier than saying 14 months or whatever.

No, they didn't. But, if they hadn't changed the twins' birthday, about 18 months should be what has passed since the pilot, not a year.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/40739-s03e19-the-show/?do=findComment&comment=2076144

On 6/28/2016 at 10:16 PM, loveoutloud said:

What boggles my mind is the fact that we are on season 4 and Brandon says Callie has been in their life for a year. A YEAR. This is longest effing year that I have ever heard of, damn. 

LOL. 

Yeah at first that was annoying me but then I realized the writers want the show to stretch thru their high school years