Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Battle Of The Bastards

• Start Topic

I always view pain and suffering as something relative.  The level of hurt largely depends on the person being hurt, his/her experiences and context.  A very simple example:

If I take a pin and quickly stick you with it (in and out, not very deep), you will feel the prick, you might bleed a little, and you might be angry for a bit, or you might punch me in revenge, but you wouldn't be traumatized by it. Lets pretend I have a 4 year old child who trusts me and loves me.  If I were to do the same to him without warning or explanation, he will have the same physical reactions, but he might also feel betrayed, by his own mother, no less, and this simple prick could be a somewhat traumatic experience.

With that in mind, while I compare and contrast the experiences of all the characters, I try to stay away from qualifying who's had it worst (or even best).  It's almost impossible to measure.

• Love 3
(edited)

I rewatched "No One" and something that greatly annoyed me was that when Riverrun fell, the Lannister & Frey flags were raised as the Rains of Castamere played yet again. But when the Stark banner was finally raised over Wintefell after BotB, we got nothing. Where the hell was my Stark theme?? Where the hell were Jon & Sansa to look on triumphantly?? I'd been waiting years for the moment when the direwolf would finally fly again, and all we got was the sound of the banner scraping the wall and Mel looking smug. God.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 3

I feel like it was such a grueling, awful fight and such an epic portrayal of homelessness that triumphant music would have felt out of place.  Everything has to be so hard for the Starks, you know.  Can't have them feeling good about anything for about twelve more episodes.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2016 at 10:19 PM, bunnyblue said:

I rewatched "No One" and something that greatly annoyed me was that when Riverrun fell, the Lannister & Frey flags were raised as the Rains of Castamere played yet again. But when the Stark banner was finally raised over Wintefell after BotB, we got nothing. Where the hell was my Stark theme?? Where the hell were Jon & Sansa to look on triumphantly?? I'd been waiting years for the moment when the direwolf would finally fly again, and all we got was the sound of the banner scraping the wall and Mel looking smug. God.

There's a Stark theme? I didn't know that! I liked the silence, because the white and soft gray against the castle stones, and the silence, filled me with such relief. It was just so soothing to look at, I thought any extra music or reaction shots would have detracted from the reassuring thump of the banner unfurling.

(edited)

Hecate, you may have already gone and looked, but this made me curious enough that I had to. 

Game of Thrones Various Theme Music

House Stark has a few different bits for different parts of their story, they're all at the start (it's about thirty minutes total). 

Jon has a few that start around 24 minutes too. 

ETA:  Just saw that this is only from the first two seasons. 

Edited by TxanGoddess
bad grammar
  • Love 1
On 6/20/2016 at 0:46 AM, J----av said:

That makes him a terrible person not a coward. Ramsay was fearless

If she accepted LFs help earlier, or told Jon they were coming, they would have ran through the Boltons and saved thousands of lives. Hell, they might have even saved Rickon, but probably not

The Vale troops came when they came. Sansa couldn't be sure of them, given LF's track record. I don't see that it would have made any difference one way or the other. Jon wasn't going to wait with Rickon on the line, and did not. There was no saving Rickon, and Sansa realized that.

• Love 1

"Happy shitting" - ah, that's the start of a true Davos/Tormund Bromance. After all, Davos has lost his first love, Stannis...

"No more reaving, roving & raping."  Yeah, good luck with that, Danny (and come to that, Yara).

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:23 AM, Sakura12 said:

Finally someone that can reign Dany in. Tyrion is not great at everything but he knows how to play smarter than she does. Burning everyone is going to solve anything.

Really admire Tyrion for pointing out that Danny was being unreasonable about burning cities (she really is the Mad King's daughter), even when he wasn't in a position of strength. OTOH, it wasn't as if everything was going swimmingly under Danny or she wouldn't have had to flee the city.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:09 AM, Dewey Decimate said:

Drogon: Hey, guys, let's hit up that village for some take-out. I'm hungry!

Rhaegal: Errr, but mom said we're only allowed to eat furry and four-legged...

D: Oh, come on. Try it, you'll LIKE it! DoitdoitdoitdoitdoitDOIT!

Looks like she might make a new exception for take out that comes in "little" wooden boxes...

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:41 AM, taurusrose said:

Sansa can't plan battle strategy or fight.  What she did do was pout and complain, call for Littlefinger and kept his army a secret from Jon.  Wow.  That's badass, alright.

Sorry to kick a positively undead horse, but I'm on Team Jon here. Sansa was AT the strategy meeting and didn't say anything (OK, you can Headcanon that the guys went, "Hush now, Sansa, men are talking!" but there's no evidence of that) and when Jon asked where they might get more men she said nothing. It's not as if they ignored her opinion, she didn't give one. You don't get to be smug and superior about how much better you would have done if when asked for your input you don't say anything.

That said, Jon totally screwed up and was only saved by his Plot Armour. If, having left your defensive position, you're going to stand and watch while the enemy surrounds you, you deserve to lose. Tormund & Wun-Wun had the right idea - you needed to punch a hole, ideally before you're completely trapped. Still, I would have preferred the victory to Team Stark to have come because one of the Houses on Ramsay's side (maybe the Manderleys? They were namechecked in a previous episode, and it would be consistent with their role in the Books) decided to turn on him - maybe after Ramsay started shooting his own troops? Even if the final victory "had" to be due to Littlefinger/The Vale's intervention, it would have been nice if things hadn't been entirely "Ramsay is an evil genius while Jon is a brave fool". In fact, it's doubtful the battle would have gone any differently even if Jon had known of the Vale troops arriving, because he would have probably adopted exactly the same tactics (bring the enemy onto your position while peppering them with arrows until the cavalry can strike from the rear) and would still have abandoned them once Ramsay sent out Rickon, but you need to give your side all the facts before the battle rather than just complaining about it.

WUN-WUN! Nooo!

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:07 AM, magdalene said:

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Melisandre looked pretty alive to me!

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 6:39 AM, lawless said:

Maybe this is the first step in how the Greyjoy words will go from "We do not sow" to "Eight arms to hug you with."

Ten, actually (it's a giant squid, not an octopus).

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:23 AM, Mya Stone said:

My pup, Chewy, had a lot of thoughts about the final scene. He turned to me and licked my face. I think he was happy

Or maybe he was thinking, "Hey! I wonder what mommy tastes like?"

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, John Potts said:

Sorry to kick a positively undead horse, but I'm on Team Jon here. Sansa was AT the strategy meeting and didn't say anything (OK, you can Headcanon that the guys went, "Hush now, Sansa, men are talking!" but there's no evidence of that) and when Jon asked where they might get more men she said nothing. It's not as if they ignored her opinion, she didn't give one. You don't get to be smug and superior about how much better you would have done if when asked for your input you don't say anything.

I think Sansa didn't make the final decision to call in LF till after that meeting was over. She was probably hoping that Jon could manage to be victorious without LF's help so she wouldn't have to end up owing LF. If she'd volunteered the info that there was an ally with troops who'd be happy to help them for a price, Jon's men would likely think her hand in marriage to LF would be a low price to pay for victory, and that she ought to take one for the team. Even if Jon himself wouldn't force her into anything, she'd think it likely that LF could easily screw Jon over if they were forced to bring him onto their circle.

Once she saw how hopeless the situation was and how Jon was going to get played by Ramsey, she decided that an alliance with LF was the least worst alternative, and reluctantly brought the viper into their collective bosom.

• Love 1