Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E19: The Head In The Abutment

Bones and Booth investigate the death of a professional hockey player whose headless corpse was dumped in a river. Booth is reunited with a hockey rival from his past, putting him back on the ice. Meanwhile, Hodgins and Oliver have a competition of their own when Hodgins builds two drones and they compete to retrieve the victim's missing head.

If Brennan is so rational, why does she think getting rid of the cocky buckle that takes up two inches of space in a drawer is going to make more room for the toys/bikes/paraphernalia her children are accumulating?

If Brennan has evolved so much, why does she no longer understand the importance of said belt buckle when back in season 4 she went to great lengths to buy it as soon as its predecessor was destroyed? And in season 5 she was bothered by Booth not wearing it post-tumor? (The look she gave him when she saw he'd put it back on and felt he was sufficiently Boothy again... Aww.)

Of course, Booth is equally obnoxious for suggesting that his intellectual, world-renowned genius best-selling author wife give up her esoteric, irreplaceable books. 

This show and I just do not find the same things cute.

Except for the way Booth and Brennan looked at each other as he got off the ice. I admit the cuteness there.

Oh, and I acknowledge the cuteness of Aubrey's combination non-scolding and gamer bragging.

• Love 2

What happened to the Brennan who insisted on respecting the remains? She never would have "liked" that video.

Also disliked the whole cleaning storyline, and Booth throwing the shot at the end. Actually, I disliked the whole part with the guy from Booth's past.

The main story was okay, but almost everything else was annoying. I do like Aubrey, though.

• Love 2

It's almost as if Booth hadn't saved her mother's earring in New Orleans and proved to her that inanimate objects have significance over a decade ago.

Of course, that was back before she retroactively contracted autism.

• Love 3

In the real world, Hodgins would have been fired for that ridiculous stunt, probably Cam too.  If they tried to use evidence from the head, it would be thrown out of court.

Why didn't Brennan just pack away some of her books?

and Booth throwing the shot at the end.

I didn't mind him doing that since the man's family and friends were there and it meant so much to him, not so much to Booth.

• Love 4

On a much more interesting note, the Anacostia River is less than 9 miles long and is heavily polluted from raw sewage running into it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Julia said:

It's almost as if Booth hadn't saved her mother's earring in New Orleans and proved to her that inanimate objects have significance over a decade ago.

How about her impassioned speech to the foster kid in one of the first episodes about how being made to put your belongings in a garbage bag makes you feel like you are garbage along with everything you own?

40 minutes ago, Trey said:

Why didn't Brennan just pack away some of her books?

Because that would require one functioning brain cell between Booth and Brennan? And a modicum of practicality?

I didn't mind Booth throwing the shot to be kind, but I still don't buy that the luxury of playing organized high-level ice hockey in high school is something Booth would have had given literally everything else we know about his childhood.

It's also kind of weird to me that he was sooo purely giddy about getting to interact with the hockey players. I get that that's his big hobby, but one of those players has just died a nasty death. A few mixed feelings, please?

• Love 2

I was eh on this episode. They already did a hockey storyline (s4, episode 13 Fire in the Ice) combined /the pro basketball player murder (s2?). This felt like a rehash.

Also, the main storyline was weak. Unless I missed it, they never even interviewed the victim's wife/girlfriend, parents, neighbors, friends, etc. For all they knew the gardener could have been sleeping w/the victim's wife & they got in a fight. If they were determined to stick w/only hockey related suspects, at the very least question the victim's agent, manager, pr person & trainer. Maybe investigate players from rival teams as well. Instead they wasted so much time w/the stupid emptying the house & drone competition subplots. 

Not the worst bones ep by far, but still eh.

8 minutes ago, Julia said:

Also the main plot was a direct rip off of the movie Major League.

Ha! I commented on that during the episode and my S.O. was like, "what's that? Another baseball movie?" 

Way too much men acting like little boys - to the detriment of the story lines. Child-like delight is one thing, and Hodgins has certainly had that before, but never to the detriment of the science, IIRC. I was astonished that the "plan" was to fly the head all the way back to the lab. I guess I expected someone to be waiting on the shore (or in one of the boats they said were out searching.) I guess they wanted the funny - but I just thought it was stupid for a host of reasons.

I felt for Bones and her books - I grew up moving around all the time, and my books were my friends. Though I often purged the books I knew I wouldn't read again. I still have physical books, but I rarely buy them anymore. Love my ereader, and my large collection of ebooks (some of which I have in physical format as well).

Still, she missed the "or things you love" part of the self-help book, at least when it came to Booth. Some of my husband's things drive me crazy, but they're his, he loves them, and I wouldn't dream of tossing them.

I particularly liked Aubrey this episode. It seemed to me that he had the best lines, was the grown-up and professional, and even in the gamer section kind of owned the scene.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lulu69 said:

I was eh on this episode. They already did a hockey storyline (s4, episode 13 Fire in the Ice) combined /the pro basketball player murder (s2?). This felt like a rehash.

Also, the main storyline was weak. Unless I missed it, they never even interviewed the victim's wife/girlfriend, parents, neighbors, friends, etc. For all they knew the gardener could have been sleeping w/the victim's wife & they got in a fight. If they were determined to stick w/only hockey related suspects, at the very least question the victim's agent, manager, pr person & trainer. Maybe investigate players from rival teams as well. 

At the end they dropped in that the victim had been head of the players' union. There's cause for motive from several directions right there!

3 hours ago, clanstarling said:

I was astonished that the "plan" was to fly the head all the way back to the lab. I guess I expected someone to be waiting on the shore (or in one of the boats they said were out searching.) I guess they wanted the funny - but I just thought it was stupid for a host of reasons.

Like how any halfway decent defence attorney could get any evidence derived from the head thrown out of court by asking if the prosecution could prove any particulates or damage didn't come from being carried through the air unbagged by a drone??

• Love 3
(edited)

Exactly, @Julia. That and lawsuits from traumatized people, not to mention the bits of tissue, eyeballs, and other ick that might have fallen off and onto people, cars, sidewalks, etc.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

"You don't just get rid of books, Booth."  Damn straight, Tempe.

I have the nook app on my iPad but get books that are available only in eformat by my favorite authors.  If a book is available, I am buying that book.

I love Booth's love for hockey.  I find the full Flyers uni curious though, I mean he has his other uni that he's worn before in his rec league.

• Love 1