Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Hypocrisy, Fraud and Tyranny

I hate both Simcoe and Abe's dad, but this time I enjoyed Simcoe making the old man squirm. I'm glad there was more spy stuff this episode. I hope they don't kill Townsend, Sr. I love John Billingsley.

• Love 2

Love the contrast with how Ben kept his cool & eyes squarely on the bigger picture this go round. "Finish him off." Okay.

The boy became a man & the experience with Sarah mucked with Ben's head as it should have given how Ben lied to Sarah. Love how Numrich played Ben during Ben's fight with Anna when Anna poked Ben where it still festers about never having anyone. And Anna seeing what Caleb could not with Ben & translating the mission intelligence into action for Ben & Caleb.  

This episode also served to remind me of how we tend to shop around now & people then settled much sooner, either because they were told to do so (Abe & Mary) or seemed on the surface to work at the start (Selah & Anna). Abe & Mary seem more & more like a match. As for what amounts to a fling, jump off, what have you for many today, Ben slept with Sarah so Ben probably feels he should have married Sarah given the liberty he took & what the consequences could turn out to be for Sarah. Nice contrast to "I get around" Andre & two-timing Abe. 

Stuff happened and this was really exciting. I am most interested in Anna in the camp, since she's smarter than the boys. I don't think Washington knows how valuable she could be. 

20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I hate both Simcoe and Abe's dad, but this time I enjoyed Simcoe making the old man squirm.

Simcoe at least has some charisma and drives the plot. Plus he's got his own deals. Heading up the rangers gives him some latitude in what he can do.

Abe's dad is a bore and boorish and annoying. He doesn't do anything except be snippy. He thought he was sitting pretty because Hewlett was on his side. But he burned that by flapping his mouth at their wedding. I liked that Simcoe made clear he isn't needed or of any use to him. Abe's dad tries *one* covert thing and gets caught! Ha. 

Good plan on Abe's part to sic Simcoe on Rogers. No one else knows that Simcoe thinks Rogers is Culper? I was wondering if Simcoe was going to at least drop that he knew who Culper was and send everyone into a panic. 

Mrs Abe practicing with the rifle can't be anything but the literal Chekov's gun. I'm gunning (heh) that she takes out Abe's dad.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I would actually feel bad for Richard if he wasn't such an asshole. Also, great job hiding that letter! Did clothes not have pockets in those days?

Now we know where Abe got his super duper spy skills from;)

Yay! Gamble's dead! I doubt the guy would've talked, so I'm glad it was brutal, and in the name of Nathaniel Sackett. 

I always enjoy seeing the ring together. (There's never enough time in these episodes, but how I'd love to see flashbacks of them as kids!) Anna had to dress down Caleb in the first season and, here, she does it to Ben. They were like bickering, 10-months-apart, siblings. It does make you wonder just how much they've revealed to each other; we know Ben hasn't told them anything about his adventures with Gamble and the widow, and I wonder just how full a report Anna and Caleb gave him of the motivation for her almost marriage to Hewlett. 

Loved actually seeing Townsend at work in NYC, the transmission of the intel -- too late for full action, as was not uncommon -- and the formulation and execution of a plan based on that intel.  Papa Townsend is so adorable and the polar opposite of Papa Woodhull. Please, do not Sackett him.

So much set up this episode...Mary with the gun is not for nothing. Rogers may have helped them some, but his loyalties are only to himself, and he looks to be on a dangerous tear, finally. The scene with Simcoe and Sprout was really chilling. Richard has definitely made his bed, and it seems pretty obvious who's lives will be in the balance come season's end in Setauket.

Some absolutely beautiful scenes this episode...the wide shot of the Townsend fields under a partly cloudy sky (no contrails visible;) before Abe and Papa Townsend speak, and the blue and gray, firelit silhouettes, with smoke swirling back to the viewer, after Caleb shoots Gamble, were gorgeous. Good work all around!

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 2

I have hated Simcoe and his unnaturally high pitched voice since the beginning, but then again, I think I was supposed to.  My hate for Abe's dad, however, is fast eclipsing my hate for Simcoe.  He's such an arrogant tool.  He told Mary not to call him "father" and then literally blackmailed her to take away her son.  I'm really hoping that in the next episode we see that as soon as Simcoe departs, Mary or Abe just take a gun and blow Abe's dad away.  He is a terrible father and grandfather.

Last episode we saw Anna giving Caleb a hug and fleeing Setauket, just as a desperate Abe tries to find her.  Was the plan always for her to end up in the camp?  Because Caleb and Ben were always there.  So was she not actually giving Caleb a goodbye hug, because that's what I thought it was.

The scene of the gunpowder smoke billowing just after Caleb shoots Gamble was pretty amazing.  I wonder how many takes they had to shoot to get that looking just right.

I missed seeing the sensational Peggy Shippen this episode.  Hope she has a large role next eppy!

(edited)

I guess it was a hello hug.  It had been a long time since she'd hung the black petticoat on the line.  I hope someone remembers to take it down.

Edited by Haleth
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

He's such an arrogant tool.  

He's a coward and not nearly as clever as he thinks he is. He's the type of person to go with whomever is winning at the time. I hope he does live long enough to get to the point where the rebels are winning and be all like, "Oh, I was always a patriot." And Mary shoots him. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

The scene of the gunpowder smoke billowing just after Caleb shoots Gamble was pretty amazing.  I wonder how many takes they had to shoot to get that looking just right.

There's a feature on the AMC site about the filming of the raid scene. They don't specifically mention that shot, but it's a fun watch, nonetheless.

I am angry that Ben had to tell Washington that Anna was suspected of adultery.  Couldn't he have said crazy Simcoe was after her and she had to get away since she here husband was gone?  Why make her look bad? 

Glad Richard is getting his just reward.  haha  Simcoe living in his house.  And I agree, you hide your letter in a chair?  Stuff it in your pants!  I hope Rogers gets away from Simcoe.  I like him.  How does he think he can show up in NY and Andre not see him?  And I want to see Thanksgiving (a happy one) at the Townsend farm!

I really enjoyed this episode. The writing and acting were done well enough so that the events felt urgent and suspenseful, despite the eventual outcome being known now for over 200 years.

I do recall the first episodes of season one, and how slowly things seemed to move. It is so much more well-paced now, and the characters seem much more vivid. 

How was Mary able to get them out of the cellar after Rogers had bolted the door?

Please, Previously Powers That Be--- I really miss the recaps! Are they gone forever?

• Love 1
On May 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Haleth said:

Lots of green leafy trees for the week before Thanksgiving.  ?

From Wikipedia: 

"During the American Revolutionary War the Continental Congress appointed one or more thanksgiving days each year, each time recommending to the executives of the various states the observance of these days in their states.

The First National Proclamation of Thanksgiving was given by the Continental Congress in 1777 from its temporary location in York, Pennsylvania, while the British occupied the national capital at Philadelphia."

The November Thanksgiving we celebrate became a federal holiday in 1863.

I think Abe is finally starting to appreciate Mary more.

It seems that Woodhull Sr. might be starting to get an inkling of why the rebels are fighting the British. The look on his face when Simcoe said "Ask for permission to enter MY office" was too funny. You could tell how much he wanted to kick that smugface Brit out of his house.

• Love 1
On 2016-05-24 at 9:09 PM, Haleth said:

So, Richard, how's that "loyal to the king" thing working for ya?

Exactly. I wonder how long it will take for him to think twice about being on the side of the British, now that he's being "inconvenienced" by Simcoe and company. He's that type of person - as long as he benefits from the relationship, then who cares. The moment people like this don't get what they want, it's when they join the other side.

And I find it creepy that he is literally blackmailing Mary and Abe, just to take the kid and brainwash him into a "loyal" supporter like Grandpa. Wonder how long that will last for, eh Richard?

Good episode. Anna meeting Washington, and wanting to help, but cannot because "woman'" was so sad and so typical...but loved seeing her in the camp contributing alongside Ben and Caleb.

Don't understand why Abe couldn't break through the door to the cellar - the wood looked half rotten anyway and there are huge gaps between the slats - he couldn've kicked his way out.

I'm liking Mary more and more as the season progresses...

• Love 1

A frustrating episode.    The ease with which Rogers and Simcoe keep eluding snares beggars belief.   That Rivington fellow constantly asking to see whatever Townsend happens to be holding grates on me too.    It all seems like Plot Device 101.   Oh, and Abe looks like a moron in that knit cap. 

That's all I got.

• Love 1