Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12 Spoilers, Speculation and Anticipation

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, ReidFan said:

BWAHAHAHAHAAhahahhahhahahahah  (just spit pop/soda out on the keyboard) thankyouverymuchforthat :)

But is it making you feel better than making screen captures of Matthew? I seriously doubt it.

I understand fully that talented and creative people are talented and creative in a multitude of ways, but sometimes you have to step back and say, "Hmm, maybe not."

I do really like Joe as an actor; he can handle both dramatic and comedic roles with total aplomb, but directing is best left to other people.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

I do really like Joe as an actor; he can handle both dramatic and comedic roles with total aplomb, but directing is best left to other people.

Oh me too, and I agree completely.  There's no shame in not doing something, and Joe is clearly no dummy... so why he feels compelled to go behind the camera, season after season, remains a mystery to me.

i honestly think that MGG beginning to direct episodes is what spurred on Thomas, and then Joe, to do so.  I hope it was more of a what-a-great-idea-I-wanna-do-it-too kind of thing than no-upstart-kid-is-gonna-direct-if-I-don't.  I find Thomas quite competent as a director; Joe, not so much. Or even a little. I guess I should just remain thankful that the rest of the cast didn't/doesn't insist on doing it as well.  

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

I don't know, he is not a bad actor per se, however, I wouldn't say I like him. I only like him in one film and I did like the old Rossi.  I think I am biased because CM actors have changed their characters giving them their personal attitudes and clothes (looking at you KV) and nobody has stopped them. Nepotism has become a real problem and I am going to stop here because I see the begining of a huge rambling hahaha

26 minutes ago, Droogie said:

Oh me too, and I agree completely.  There's no shame in not doing something, and Joe is clearly no dummy... so why he feels compelled to go behind the camera, season after season, remains a mystery to me.

i honestly think that MGG beginning to direct episodes is what spurred on Thomas, and then Joe, to do so.  I hope it was more of a what-a-great-idea-I-wanna-do-it-too kind of thing than no-upstart-kid-is-gonna-direct-if-I-don't.  I find Thomas quite competent as a director; Joe, not so much. Or even a little. I guess I should just remain thankful that the rest of the cast didn't/doesn't insist on doing it as well.  

Maybe Joe can see he is not great, but he thinks there is not harm in practice with a dying show.

Skipp Sudduth and Adam Arkin are some actors who became directors too, and I wouldn't mind if TG took that route for awhile, it's not a bad way to stay in the business. 

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Droogie said:

Now I'm imagining Joe shaking an imaginary cane and shouting, "Kid, get off my lawn, whippersnapper!" at Matthew. Snerk.

Still, it isn't like Matthew was handed a directing gig on CM because he's so darn pretty or because he pitched a fit. He studied film directing at NYU and already had several directing gigs on his resume.

• Love 4

They did say that although Matthew had to ask they were sort of like, "What took you so long?" They being the show runner and writers back then.

And I really don't think JM would be jealous of Matthew, he truly seems to love him.

• Love 5

Oh me either, Norm!  But I have always sort of thought that there was maybe a subtle (even subconscious) friendly competition involved, even while none of them would authentically wish the other anything but incredible good will.

Joe has said (I've read) that he loves Matthew like a son.  If anything, I think maybe Thomas thought he ought to be directing if Matthew was going to, and then the competition may have arisen between TG and JM, regarding themselves as peers as long as they've been in the business (MGG being so much younger). 

• Love 1

The directing comes with a sense of prestige, and I honestly think that the most important factor is that Joe enjoys it. He's not the worst director in the world, but of the actors who direct on the show, I would say he is the weakest link. Some of his choices have left me cringing. He doesn't have the eye for framing quite the way TG and MGG do. MGG knows how to set up very aesthetically pleasing shots, block the scene out so all of the characters are visible instead of having some covered up by others, etc. I don't like when he does too much camera moving in a shot though. I can't think of anything that stood out in TG's episodes because I don't really remember any of those episodes much, but I do remember that I thought the music was too loud and distracting. Other than the music, I remember not having problems with his directing choices. He got good emotion out of the actors. Now Joe, unfortunately has issues with blocking, framing, and with the acting. Something about the performances comes off as being in a high school play & some parts come off as more of a PSA or commercial than an actual episode. There are elements that just take me out of the episode.

I like Joe as a person and as an actor, but he still needs to learn more about directing.

I'm a bit nervous about Matthew directing Erica's episode. Since she is the showrunner, she can force him to do things her way even if his instincts are to go a different way. Plus, she is one of the weaker writers when it comes to plot. And Matthew focuses more on the visual than on the actual story / plot. So, I won't be surprised if it ends up very convoluted and confusing. I just hope it doesn't outright suck. There is only so much a good director can do with a crap script. Like in comic books where there was this awful writer that was given an amazing artist that hand-painted the panels. Art was gorgeous. Story was crap. But then, a bad director can render a well-written story badly as well. I remember for awhile there was a very good writer in DC comics, but they paired him with an artist that could not do faces, or hands, or bodies, or proportions, or perspective. It looked like a 3rd grader drew the panels and it was awful.

I'm also hoping that they don't screw the pooch so to speak with the exit story for Hotch.

• Love 3
Just now, ReidFan said:

well she had a  hand in the writing of both Mosley Lane and A Beautiful Disaster, and those were well directed.....

Derek wasn't bad directed either.

I would say Morgan's trifecta was awful. Directors aside.

Messer has written some good scripts, I was revisiting season 5, and the season finale was her worst episode, I think not being the one calling the tune made her a better writer.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Franky said:

He'd deliberately mispronounce all the names and recite it standing on his head just to make it interesting. Oh and there'd probably be a rifle somewhere, too. 

LOL! YES! and pumpkins, and stuffed toys and fall colours. One of the stuffed toys would come to life. And eat the phone book.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Franky said:

He'd deliberately mispronounce all the names and recite it standing on his head just to make it interesting. Oh and there'd probably be a rifle somewhere, too. 

And some weird bathing suit and mismatching socks. 

Edited by normasm
I meant mismatching, dammit!
On 9/10/2016 at 2:41 PM, normasm said:

Directing is also something which increases an actor's presence in the industry, it demonstrates extra value. You get credit on your resume, and extra money.

Thomas directed a couple of episodes of Dharma and Greg, too, so it's not like he only tried on CM because Matthew had done it. If memory serves, he also didn't direct CM until his marriage was already kaput, which would allow him the luxury of prep time and such rather than worrying about getting home to TX. That's just my thought, though. Don't know what his reasons were for deciding to direct. Could have just been to refresh those talents knowing that at any time CM could call it quits. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, zannej said:

The directing comes with a sense of prestige, and I honestly think that the most important factor is that Joe enjoys it. He's not the worst director in the world, but of the actors who direct on the show, I would say he is the weakest link. Some of his choices have left me cringing. He doesn't have the eye for framing quite the way TG and MGG do. MGG knows how to set up very aesthetically pleasing shots, block the scene out so all of the characters are visible instead of having some covered up by others, etc. I don't like when he does too much camera moving in a shot though. I can't think of anything that stood out in TG's episodes because I don't really remember any of those episodes much, but I do remember that I thought the music was too loud and distracting. Other than the music, I remember not having problems with his directing choices. He got good emotion out of the actors. Now Joe, unfortunately has issues with blocking, framing, and with the acting. Something about the performances comes off as being in a high school play & some parts come off as more of a PSA or commercial than an actual episode. There are elements that just take me out of the episode.

I like Joe as a person and as an actor, but he still needs to learn more about directing.

I'm a bit nervous about Matthew directing Erica's episode. Since she is the showrunner, she can force him to do things her way even if his instincts are to go a different way. Plus, she is one of the weaker writers when it comes to plot. And Matthew focuses more on the visual than on the actual story / plot. So, I won't be surprised if it ends up very convoluted and confusing. I just hope it doesn't outright suck. There is only so much a good director can do with a crap script. Like in comic books where there was this awful writer that was given an amazing artist that hand-painted the panels. Art was gorgeous. Story was crap. But then, a bad director can render a well-written story badly as well. I remember for awhile there was a very good writer in DC comics, but they paired him with an artist that could not do faces, or hands, or bodies, or proportions, or perspective. It looked like a 3rd grader drew the panels and it was awful.

I'm also hoping that they don't screw the pooch so to speak with the exit story for Hotch.

I think Thomas always does a good job with the actors. One thing I recall about one of the episodes he directed, though, was a shot with palm trees when they were supposed to have been in a midwest state. I was disappointed in him for allowing that to get in the shot. MGG's episodes are always visually very interesting but he has been given some scripts that were lemons. 

• Love 3

the only commercial i've seen is a bunch of scenes from the last two episodes (mostly from The Storm) blathering on about the escapees and how they're gonna have to catch them. Lots of Hotch in the ad. No mention of New Guy. (basically, it coulda been produced last May)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

the only commercial i've seen is a bunch of scenes from the last two episodes (mostly from The Storm) blathering on about the escapees and how they're gonna have to catch them. Lots of Hotch in the ad. No mention of New Guy. (basically, it coulda been produced last May)

Hmm, I haven't seen this yet.

14 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I guess CTV never got the memo that Hotch won't be around much this season.

or they're in the same state of denial as the #nohotchnowatch crowd.........

and just to clarify! I am not denigrating anyone who feels that way or saying it's a bad thing. If it were Reid, I would probably feel similarly.

Edited by ReidFan
to clarify!
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

or they're in the same state of denial as the #nohotchnowatch crowd.........

That's my state! I mean, I still can't believe Hotch is going to disapear... will disapear :'0(

However my rational persona thinks pretending nothing has happened is their way to not draw attention.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1

This morning I saw in youtube something called: season 12 teaser trailer 1.I haven't watched it, in Spain we won't be getting the new episodes until mid-October and I don't want too much information until then. 

For the same reason I might be away from the forum for some time(if I can manage the withdrawal symptoms!!) . Too much risk of having things spoiled. 

Will I be able to do it? I don't know, I haven't been around for longer than a month, but I've become "hooked"

Looks like some confirmation of something I've been saying for weeks now....

<<<trying to figure out how to do the spoilers thing here.....>>>> what if the image/screenshot I want to post IS the spoiler?? <<<going with a link instead>>>

please don't kill me, WhiteOwl, if I did this wrong ::::cowering in fear::::

Spoiler

http://starrymag.com/kirsten-vangness-diani-devine-meet-the-apocalypse/     scroll down to where she talks about Prentiss returning......

• Love 1