Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Hearts and Minds

Yes, by all appearances, Benjamin was a star in the sack. Seth Numrich is lovely & that was quite the love scene. Ben stopped "wasting the Lord's gifts" as Caleb once said.

Richard Woodhull is vile, but I'm not wild about his son either. Poor Hewlett & poor Anna. I hope Gorman isn't gone, but he probably is. Abe connects with Mary now -- the marriage is not what it was. Selah is gone. What would Abe have Anna do? Just wait around alone until Abe may fall out with Mary again to resume being his mistress? Abe would not divorce Mary, would he? Also, Abe's behavior had an "if I can't have you, nobody can" feel to me. I was not pleased Anna's letter left so much as a crack in the door for Abe. Anna out! is where it should have ended.

• Love 4

Noooooo Edmund Don't Go!!!!!!

I love Major Hewlett. He is a good man and a gentleman, and he tried his best in a difficult situation. The whole situation was just sad, Anna loved him enough to save his life- it just didn't work out to where they could be together. The look on his face when he was jilted at the alter really broke my heart. I hope we see him in future episodes, but I don't think that will happen. So, I like to think he went back to Scotland and found a bonny lass who would truly love him.

• Love 3

That was so sad. Edmund is such a sweet man, I wish someone could tell him why Anna threw him under the carriage. It's probably for the best that the marriage didn't take place but to leave him feeling betrayed was cruel.

Shirtless Ben.  Yes, please.

l love Andre but he's getting awfully mopey.  Snap out of it, man!  She's not all that!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

l love Andre but he's getting awfully mopey.  Snap out of it, man!  She's not all that!

If a guy asked me to fix my hair just like some chick he was hung up on, I would tell him to eff himself.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

He's a gorgeous man, who used to be fascinating. Now he's just boring with all that moping, which I don't think has been earned at all. It never looked like a big love story to me and, as you say, she's not all that. Philomena > Peggy in every way.

• Love 1

Benjamin: YES. More Ben, please. In various uniforms and states of undress.

Andre: Exactly, quit moping around! Aren't you supposed to be the spymaster for the Brits? Do some more spy stuff!

(And in general I was disappointed this episode was all about relationship stuff and there was no spy stuff or even any politics besides Benedict.)

Hewlett: Awww. Poor guy. I ended up feeling a bit sad for him. It's too bad he can never know why Anna did that. He looked so sad gazing out the window. 

Anna: Well, I guess she didn't have much else to do in Setauket anymore. Is she going back to her husband? I didn't originally like the Anna/Hewlett ship, but I ended up rooting for them after all. But I am happy this FINALLY wraps up the Anna/Hewlett/Abraham love triangle once and for all.

Abe: I like the actor but god his character has become so unlikable. I don't like what he did to Anna and I think she called him on it correctly: jealousy. He just couldn't stand to see her with anyone else. Because it actually would have been in his own best interests to let the marriage go through -- less tension with Mary and his Dad with Anna out of the house; less likely that Hewlett would say anything about his spy activities. But no, he had to torpedo it because of jealousy. 

Next episode: I hope there's more Caleb, Ben, and Roberts because they are awesome. 

• Love 4

Wow, this seems to be the most controversial episode since Valley Forge. Maybe because I don’t always like the more quiet, wordy episodes, my expectations were low enough that it far exceeded them.

Though I still don’t like that her sole motivation is Andre, Peggy's scenes with  Benedict were terrific. She plays him expertly, and his suspicion, overcome by his hubris, was perfectly brought to life. I was disappointed and creeped out by Andre’s intentions for Philomena, and will not discuss the cheesy flashback montage, but Abigail as the Andre/Peggy go-between is a good set-up. 

I like that they are giving a little more setting context to the neutral ground as a pretty much lawless place of shifting loyalties, considering it’ll be the setting for a couple more iconic episodes, as history tells. 

Sarah was a strong, interesting character, and It was good for Ben to get a taste of what Abe, Anna, et al, go through, deceiving their neighbors and people they care about. Ideals are a lot harder to maintain when you come face to face with their human cost on a more intimate field than that of battle. Ben’s loss of innocence, on several levels, gives the character more depth, I believe — doesn’t hurt to have a little dirt on his nose.

I liked Anna better this episode than I have in a long time. I’m glad we’ve come to some resolution between her, Abe, and Hewlett. I didn’t care for the Anna/Hewlet pairing as romantic, but I do like his character, and hope that in a couple episodes, he may be back with something more productive to do. (Then, again, as this season is really the Benedict Arnold story, I’d expect the focus of the second half of the season to be on the key players who converge at the end.)

I LOVED all these women acting like bosses, whatever their politics and motivations. I liked the parallels and contrasts among all these lying, cheating couples. Anna’s letter at the end was beautiful and, I think, really expressed the common thread woven among these characters. The loss, hardship, crimes, deaths of war, change people — that’s unavoidable. But even with those changes, we must strive to always maintain compassion and hope.

• Love 1

Benjamin: YES. More Ben, please. In various uniforms and states of undress.

Here here. Because damn boy....*swoon* and because I am shallow, all bed scenes with Ben = Excellent.

I really hope Hewett is not gone permanently - it's nice to have a decent person as a Red Coat. He's doing his job yet is patriotic to his country. Anna "dumping" him was so sad. Poor Anna too, since her plan to "save" Abe backfired.

Still don't like Woodhull Sr. At all at this point. Abe isn't much better, but at least he isn't betraying his friends. Just want to slap Senior.

Sarah was a strong, interesting character, and It was good for Ben to get a taste of what Abe, Anna, et al, go through, deceiving their neighbors and people they care about. Ideals are a lot harder to maintain when you come face to face with their human cost on a more intimate field than that of battle. Ben’s loss of innocence, on several levels, gives the character more depth, I believe — doesn’t hurt to have a little dirt on his nose.

Excellent comment. To add, it also highlighted how in this tension-filled time, one could not trust their neighbour at all and had to "pretend" at all costs, else be considered a traitor. One hopes they are on your side, but you can never be sure.

Andre is kinda sad with his 'Peggy" obsession. From what I've read,

Spoiler

the real Peggy Shippen and Benedict Arnold actually were very devoted and loving to each other,

I just don't get Peggy's continuing interest in B. Arnold. It's one thing to initially pretend to be interested for spying purposes, but at this point, it's gone a bit far. Anna shut Hewett down, yet Peggy seems to continue on the ruse, except she seems totally "not into him." Yet she writes a letter saying she will get married (last episode). So the missing part to me is "Does she really love Benedict now?", or "Is it still a ruse/spygames for Andre, the man she truly loves?" The writers/actress have made it hard to tell lately, though Ksenia is great in the role.

To be honest, I really enjoyed this episode. A Lot. Last weeks was a big slow and dull, but this week's episode was very entertaining for some reason, that doesn't just include Bed-Bound Ben...(though it's quite a factor).

• Love 1

Poor Edmond!  My heart broke for him.  What business is it of Abe to mess with Anna's plan?  And of all people to go tattling to his dad?  Richard loved messing up Anna's wedding as he is an evil, mean bastard.  Abe did it for his own selfish reasons.  I think Anna could have found love with Edmond.  He took the fall for her, I am mad that she did what she did but really, what choice did she have?  Richard would have pushed to prosecute her.  I hope Edmond isn't gone for good.  I can't see they will get rid of his character so easily.

Where is Robert Rodgers?  He is also my fave Brit.  He better be okay.  Even though I am hating Abe right now, Robert and Abe make a funny pair.  Robert can teach Abe a lot.  Though I am not sure what RR's plan is. 

I guess Tall man did deserve some romance but I am glad that is over.  I also agree with the moping, creepy Andre.  That chick doesn't care if she has to wear her hair a certain way.  I am thinking she gets paid either way.  I love this show.  It's also made me more interested in learning about the Revolutionary war.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was happy to have an episode that featured Ben to some extent, including those nice bed scenes. I'd love for him to be featured more in general, both with bed scenes and awesome spy games/leadership. Definitely felt bad for Hewlett. I agree with you HalcyonDays that I don't really love how they are portraying the Arnold-Peggy-Andre triangle, especially considering reports of actual history. It doesn't even really feel like a true triangle. As much as I hated the love square (or whatever it is called) with Hewlett-Anna-Abe-Mary, at least I could see true feelings from all sides. I'm going to be annoyed if they portray 

Spoiler

Andre getting caught

due to carelessness related to continued moping regarding Peggy. I was also hoping our American spies were going to be shown as more capable at this point instead of continuing the constant mistakes.

Edited by VMepicgrl
(edited)
11 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

I was happy to have an episode that featured Ben to some extent, including those nice bed scenes. I'd love for him to be featured more in general, both with bed scenes and awesome spy games/leadership. Definitely felt bad for Hewlett. I agree with you HalcyonDays that I don't really love how they are portraying the Arnold-Peggy-Andre triangle, especially considering reports of actual history. It doesn't even really feel like a true triangle. As much as I hated the love square (or whatever it is called) with Hewlett-Anna-Abe-Mary, at least I could see true feelings from all sides. I'm going to be annoyed if they portray 

Reveal hidden contents

Andre getting caught

due to carelessness related to continued moping regarding Peggy. I was also hoping our American spies were going to be shown as more capable at this point instead of continuing the constant mistakes.

After complaining about the ineptitude of the American spies for a season and a half, I think it's obvious the writers believe the best way to maintain tension is to have the ring constantly in peril by their own devices. It's somewhat lazy, but seems unlikely to change. 

Having said that, I expect that some of the mistakes we've seen Ben make over the past two episodes are meant to 

Spoiler

foreshadow those that Andre makes down the road, and be the basis for Ben's sympathy for his British counterpart.

I guess, I figure it's likely that this will be the final season of the show, so I'm just suspending my disbelief and going with a lot of things that I used to get hung up on. It's not exactly the show I would have made from the source material, but it's the show we've got, so yeah. Makes it a lot easier to revel in the shallow, like Peggy's and Philomena's gorgeous dresses, and poor, romantic Ben's beautiful eyes;)

Edited by Kabota

I guess I'm confused about exactly what Abe wanted from Anna.  He went back to Mary, and Mary even supported Abe and Anna in their spying a few episodes ago.  Mary appears devoted to him despite their past troubles, and Abe appears content to be with her.  So what is it he wanted with Anna?  Obviously he isn't going to have an affair with her, but was he just keeping her unmarried "just in case"?  So selfish.  

So Hewlett says he's going back to England.  And it looks like Anna left town too.  She met Caleb in the woods at night and hugged him and then went off.

I am enthralled by the actress who plays Peggy Shippen.  Peggy is really the star of this show now as far as I'm concerned.  Although I can't stand Benedict Arnold.

I thought the "Ben gets rescued by a widowed Tory" storyline was pointless.  Didn't advance anything at all.

I wish there was better music for this show.  It'd be nice if they could use some fiddle tunes from the period.  I'm not sure if that song that was sung over the scenes of Anna leaving was contemporary or not, but it kind of sounded modern.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Obviously he isn't going to have an affair with her, but was he just keeping her unmarried "just in case"?  So selfish.  

I think it's as simple as that. Or he likes the idea that there's two women into him. Abe is not one for strategic thinking because the marriage was clearly the better choice in the larger context. 

I didn't like the paint by numbers plot of "woman sleeps with the enemy then protects him". It was predictable. If you're going that way than try to put in a fresh take on the predictable. If you can't, then do something else. 

This spy ring is making the keystone kops looks like Ocean's 11. 

OF COURSE Abe's father is the one who has to pipe up at the wedding. I like that they're making him so insufferable because his death is going to be so so satisfying.

You know these are just average people, not master spies!  They were all friends who decided some how (I need to rewatch season 1)  to try and help out the Colonial army.  Just like Benedict said to the appropriation officer or whoever that guy was decorating his house, these enemies were your neighbors and now you are taking all their stuff to sell off.   This show has really made me start researching history.  I don't know much about the Revolutionary war and I'm visiting filming sites here in Richmond, Va.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:01 PM, GGMeade said:

Noooooo Edmund Don't Go!!!!!!

I love Major Hewlett. He is a good man and a gentleman, and he tried his best in a difficult situation. The whole situation was just sad, Anna loved him enough to save his life- it just didn't work out to where they could be together. The look on his face when he was jilted at the alter really broke my heart. I hope we see him in future episodes, but I don't think that will happen. So, I like to think he went back to Scotland and found a bonny lass who would truly love him.

I know, poor, poor awkward Edmund. He was so devoted to Anna and truly TRYING to be good in a position he never really wanted. . . had no idea all the crapola behind the scenes. At least BB Burn has his beatboxing award. You KNOW he would totally kill Simcoe in a beatboxing competition.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:28 AM, KaleyFirefly said:

Abe: I like the actor but god his character has become so unlikable. I don't like what he did to Anna and I think she called him on it correctly: jealousy. He just couldn't stand to see her with anyone else. Because it actually would have been in his own best interests to let the marriage go through -- less tension with Mary and his Dad with Anna out of the house; less likely that Hewlett would say anything about his spy activities. But no, he had to torpedo it because of jealousy. 

Abe needs to go away. He's stupid and reckless and mean.

Oh yeah, I agree with someone else that we can have more Caleb. Glad his beard is growing back.

Edited by LilJen